• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soggy fish sticks on stoneware?

Bren706

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2007
My newest recruit got this message from one of her friends recently when she posted about our stoneware on her Facebook page:

"I was mentioning how you don't have to turn fries/chicken fingers/frozen foods when baking them and they get crispy all around, she said she made fish sticks on her round stone the other night and the liquid pooled around the sticks and made them soggy on the bottom. Her stone is VERY well seasoned...it's practically black. What might cause this? Can it be too seasoned and not absorb moisture?"

I don't think I have ever had this problem. Anybody have suggestions?

darlinclem

Advanced Member
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2007
My first thought is that the fish sticks were freezer burnt or homemade and too damp when breaded.

chefheidi2003

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2007
Sounds odd to me. My bar pan is pretty well seasoned..and I know that sometimes the ice that is in the bag gets on my pan and I don't worry about it..because they still get very crispy.

Sheila

Legend Member
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2008
I was also thinking maybe freezer burn on them when she put them on the bar pan and/or she didn't cook them long enough. But Darlene has a good point if they were homemade.

I've never had issues with stuff being soggy on my stones.

cincychef

Advanced Member
Jul 18, 2007
The only other thing I can think of is if her stone is not a Pampered Chef stone? I have been at a show and had the host pull out her "stone" as I cringe and realize it isn't a Pampered Chef one :)

ShellBeach

Veteran Member
Sep 5, 2008
Weird, we made fish fingers quite often when my son was smaller and never had that issue.
I'm guessing the over wasn't hot enough. All the fish fingers I've cooked seem to want 425°.
Freezer burn, I'm not sure about. Does that add extra water to stuff? I thought it just made the color funny. Just curious.