• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stoneware Question: Etching Issue?

In summary, a customer has a well-seasoned pizza stone that has developed etching, possibly from using cornmeal on it. To prevent further damage, it's best to avoid using cornmeal and stick to using flour instead. The current damage may be fixed by sanding down the affected area, but this could also remove some of the seasoning. To properly care for a pizza stone, avoid using soap, use a scraper or brush to remove stuck-on food, and allow it to heat up gradually in a cold oven.
algdoughty
Hi all,

I have a customer who has a very very seasoned pizza stone (it looks black!). She let her boyfriend use it (he has pizza with his sons every Thursday, so the stone is used A LOT) and now it seems that there is an issue around the stone about 2 inches from the edges.

All I can say to describe it is etching. When I rub my finger over it, it is clearly a divot in the stone like something etched way a few layers. She knows they don’t use soap to clean it. The only thing she can think of is that is different is that they used cornmeal on the stone instead of four.

Does anyone have any ideas about what caused this? Is there a way to fix it or prevent more damage? She is willing to buy another stone, but really likes this one ;).

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions!!

it is not damaged, I have 2 like that. No need for her to purchase another one,

It sounds like the cornmeal may have caused the etching on the pizza stone. Cornmeal can be abrasive and may have worn away at the surface of the stone. To prevent further damage, it's best to avoid using cornmeal on the stone and stick to using flour instead. As for fixing the current damage, it may be possible to sand down the affected area to smooth out the surface, but this may also remove some of the seasoned layer of the stone. If the damage is significant, it may be best to invest in a new pizza stone. To properly care for a pizza stone, it's important to never use soap to clean it as it can seep into the porous surface and affect the taste of your food. Instead, use a scraper or brush to remove any stuck-on food, and then wipe it down with a damp cloth. It's also a good idea to place the stone in a cold oven and allow it to heat up with the oven to prevent any sudden temperature changes that could cause cracking. Hope this helps and happy pizza making!

1. What is stoneware and how is it different from other types of cookware?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic cookware that is made from natural clay. It is fired at a high temperature, making it durable and able to withstand high temperatures. Unlike other types of cookware, stoneware does not contain any non-stick coatings or chemicals.

2. Can stoneware be used in the microwave?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid sudden temperature changes, as this can cause the stoneware to crack.

3. How do I clean and care for my stoneware?

Stoneware can be cleaned with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or metal utensils on stoneware, as this can damage the surface. After use, allow the stoneware to cool before washing and avoid placing it in extremely hot or cold temperatures.

4. Why is my stoneware becoming discolored or developing a rough surface?

This is a common issue known as "etching" and is caused by acidic foods and liquids reacting with the stoneware. To prevent this, avoid using stoneware with highly acidic or sugary foods and be sure to properly season the stoneware before use.

5. Can I still use my stoneware if it has etching?

Yes, etching does not affect the performance of the stoneware. However, if you prefer to have a smooth, unblemished surface, you can try sanding the stoneware or using a stoneware cleaner to help reduce the appearance of etching.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AmynPC
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
AmynPC
  • KatieBeth
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • FFBearPChef