1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Stoneware Flaking?

1. flemings99

flemings99 Veteran Member Gold Member

Client has a stone that is black & has started flaking? Haven't heard of this.....suggestions for client?

Aug 26, 2009
  2. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

I have a customer with the same thing....so interested in the answers.

Aug 26, 2009
  3. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

baking soda paste

Aug 26, 2009
  4. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I had someone at my last show say she never washes her stone, just brushes it off. It kind of made me cringe. At the same show, I had someone ask what to do if the stone got sticky, I explained about the baking soda trick (baking soda, water, let it sit for 30 minutes). It made me wonder what the first lady's stone looked like.

5. flemings99

flemings99 Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2009
  6. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I had a host once who got out her round stone for us to use w/ an appetizer. It had crumbs and stuff on it so I went to wash it w/ the scraper and all of a sudden, what looked like the seasoning layer started flaking off. She said she just uses it for pizza over and over again and never washes it since it's just pizza crust on it. So....I think since she wasn't really washing it and scraping it, the seasoning layer wasn't a real bonded thing. It was quite odd. I recommended she do the baking soda paste on it and scrape it to get off whatever flakes and then just use it like normal. I always wonder if she ever did or if she even cleans it like she should now that she knows. :)

Aug 26, 2009
  7. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Leaving it in the oven will definitely have an effect on the seasoning. It's also not recommended by the use and care for our stones. They're not supposed to be in a hot oven without at least 2/3 of the surface area covered with food.

Aug 27, 2009
  8. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I have had that happen, plan on using a hosts stone so that I don't have to haul mine, and theirs is so gross that I'm almost embarrassed to use it! So, from now on, I haul my own stuff, I don't want to count on using the hosts stuff anymore...

Aug 27, 2009
  9. Mrs.H.

Mrs.H. Novice Member

At a show of mine a guest told everyone there about her round stone that "has never been touched by water, and we cook everything on it." Like that was a huge selling point. You should have seen the looks on the guests faces. :yuck:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Oct 7, 2009
  10. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

EEeewwww!:eek:

Oct 7, 2009
  11. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

EEEWWW Is right! OMG I like have had my very first stone since 1997. It is as black as the ace of spades and works wonder BUT I CLEANIT AFTER EVERY USE NO MATTER WHAT! The flaking is them. Not the stone but the gunk that is slowly working its way off the stone after all those uses and no cleaning. Ther reason I know this is because of my sister. I asked HO about this problem about 4 years ago after my sister complained that stone was falling part. After looking at the stone I even knew what the problem but just to be sure I askesd HO. I asked about how she was cleaning it and she told me, "Well, when I remember too". Problem solved. I can also tell you without a doubt, even if you do wash that stone after every use, the "patina" will come off at times. The black stuff is built up food, oils and what not. When washing, a lot of it will come off and over time some begins to stick to the stone and itself. Baking with it kills any germs and simply solidifies the stuff even more. However, there will be times when an air pocket or moisture gets under that patina and it will lift off and flake. Such is the nature of the "patina". Good Cast Iron does the same thing.

12. Rosechef

Rosechef Member

Agreed.

That is GROSSS!!!!

I wonder how many people at the food she made. Ick.

Oct 7, 2009
  13. I have to say that I don't wash my stone every time I use it if was used the night before or a day or two ago. If it has salt residue or crispy crunchys on it, If it's been a while, I will rinse it off before I use it. that's how you get the "patina" that makes it non-stick. I will use water and wipe it off with just my hand. Occasionally, when it's really greasy, I use a drop of soap just to cut the grease.

Have something to add?