• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stolen at a Show: An Expensive Lesson - Securing Your Money

In summary, the expert thinks that it is brave to steal from a show, and recommends that the victim take action by replacing the stolen items and tracking their lost items.
cookin to the top
Gold Member
Have any of you ever had anyone steal either products or $ from you while you were doing a show? I recently had someone steal from the $-bag I was using (the bag and comp. were in the house, while the party was outside, and it happened while I was packing up). How would you handle this situation? I think I'm just going to eat the loss and call it an expensive lesson. Sigh#... And how do you store the $ from the customers? (I use a lap-apron for my shows, and after this happened I sewed a zipper on one of the pockets- I'll be able to wear my $-bag from now on!

I have had product stolen... my 8" pan that came with my kit... I don't see how people can sleep after doing something like that.... Did you really need the pan that badly? Grrrrr... I'm sorry this happened to you. I keep track of everything I bring now and make sure it's all within a eyesight... which can be hard.
Heres hoping it doesn't happen again.

Wow! I don't think I have ever had anything stolen from me (knock on wood)... I am sorry to hear about that happening!

That takes some guts to steal a money bag. I always keep it next to me at the laptop when taking orders and as I pack up, it goes into my purse and I zip that shut. When putting things in my car, I try to pack that first in the car (bc I always lock my car).

I think I am overparanoid about the $$...but my husband grew up in Brooklyn and has seen a thing or two in his life.

As far as product, I don't KNOW of anything, I am sure little things got left behind---and one was the large scraper but it was at my mom's friends house (she held one of my first shows) and then she used it for spagetti sauce, I thought the stain would never come out----but it did! Other then that, I do not think---

Just curious, how did you approach the situation?

I've never had anything stolen, but I have left product behind a few times. Usually it's just something small and I get it back. Pretty bad that someone stole your money though, that takes guts. I keep my orders and money in a folder. I have a plastic zippered pencil bag in the folder and that's where my payments go and I put the orders in the front pocket and my dpds in the back pocket along with my host info sheets for my booked shows - that way I have everything all together.

Did you say something to your host about it? Did they take the checks too or just the cash?

That really stinks! I always keep my bag next to me while I am doing my demo (under the table) I would mention it to your host. I notice that little things from my tool turn were missing.

I have lost a few products - mostly at fairs while I was busy with a customer and then later noticed something missing. I keep my money bag concealed until I'm entering orders and pack it up right away so thankfully that hasn't happened to me.

Keep track of what is lost and deduct it from your taxes. I would replace products lost on a personal order and deduct that purchase as a supply.

I have had products stolen and the host replaced them.
I write down everything I bring.
In the situation I just had, I told the host this is what I had when I came and this is what I am missing. We looked all over her house ( since kids were touching all my stuff, just to see if stuff got misplaced), gave her a few days to see if it turned up, then she put it on her order and replaced the items.
People have nerve!!

I have lost a few products over the years often someone finds it in the couch (from beinig passed around) and returns it I have had a few things go MIA, my money I always put in my apron then when the show is over I fold it up so the money is tucked in along with any food spills then put it either in the dirty dishes or if clean my paperwork bag and then go through it at home while making up the deposit slip.

Just recently, I have noticed a few things have gone missing. Not sure WHEN it happened, though....

instant read thermometer
small mix n scraper
medium scoop

and then yesterday I was putting stuff away in my basement and realized that I am missing TWO small SA bowls. Those could have been gone for a LONG time though....

Since hearing (on here) that some folks had some of their forged knives stolen I only take one or two of them and DOUBLE CHECK that they are packed when I am leaving.

Sorry to hear that happened!

I don't think I have had anything stolen. I have accidently had an item taken home w/me that was the hosts though! Like the mini spatula. She has gotten it out for serving and when cleaning up it got thrown in my crate.

I do know one consultant who had money stolen out of her purse ($40). I keep my purse locked in my trunk now during parties. I only take about $15 in change in my money bag. I put it in front of my brief case which is always under my table next to my rolling case while I demo. Then when I take orders it's with me.

I did have a guy hanging around my table at the last show I did while I was taking orders (there was no other spot to take orders). I was afraid to walk away because I had the feeling he wanted to steal either money or products from me (so I didn't).

I do worry about the forged knives being stolen. I usually only take 2-3 and use them so they are dirty on my table.

I would say something to the host if I were you.

Last edited:
I have only ever had little things stolen from me or at least I have left them behind and the hostess doesn't ever mention it. Someone did steal a product from a hostess one time. People joke around about stealing things but I always counter with something like, Oh but how would you sleep at night knowing you stole from someone.
My biggest loss comes from the mini serving spatulas...I am forever leaving those or losing them at places. The only thing I figure is "stolen" is when I left the rack for a stone at a hostess's house and she had no stoneware but at the next show she bought the large round stone w/ no rack...hmmmm...
I would make sure the hostess is aware and I would consider contacting all of the guests. How much are you out? That is horrible for someone to do. I will have to keep a much closer eye on my money bag after hearing about this.

I've had product stolen- For my money bag, I buy one of those nice nylon pencil bags for back to school that has three holes in it- so it can be placed in a ZIPPERED day planner- Then, my day planner is shoved at the BOTTOM of my bag where you'd have to be Houdini to get that out, unzipper it, find the money and take it withtout me noticing...then as I collect checks, cash- etc at ordering time- I would have noticed and I'm the type that would have pulled the host aside and said this had XXX amount of money in it- here is the note I put in here before each show so I know what I have in this bag- it is dated and signed...now it's off- by XXX dolloars, what should I do?

Sadly, with the products that I've had stolen, I don't notice until I'm home doing my dishes- or even worse...when I'm digging for it, can't find it, call the host, and even SHE doesn't have it-

Best of luck!

I just wanted to add that thefts at shows are rare! I have done over 450 shows and have had maybe 5 items go missing and with all the products (including MANY small, easily pocketed items) that I take that is nothing.

It is rare to have items/money stolen and it is rare to have a check bounce. Those things are a part of doing business with the public but most people are honest and good - be vigilant but not neurotic. ...just wanted to relieve anxiety of any newbies who have gotten worried because of this thread.

It was my first time....so I was really shocked and upset. I didn't notice until I got home (It was three 20's that were missing out of the bag- if the whole bag was taken we would have had a massive search party at the show!) I told the host I was short, she got really defensive, saying we counted it all together perfectly, etc....and though I know who did it, I didn't want to accuse the host's brother!!! (I'm hoping the bookings I got from the show will come through to make up for the money-loss!)

It was a weird show...I was waiting for people to order, and it would be a long time from one to the next, so I was packing products in between orders. The apron-bag will help next time when I'm trying to utilize my time however I need to.

BethCooks4U said:
I just wanted to add that thefts at shows are rare! I have done over 450 shows and have had maybe 5 items go missing and with all the products (including MANY small, easily pocketed items) that I take that is nothing.

It is rare to have items/money stolen and it is rare to have a check bounce. Those things are a part of doing business with the public but most people are honest and good - be vigilant but not neurotic. ...just wanted to relieve anxiety of any newbies who have gotten worried because of this thread.

Yes, it is rare- that is good to point out- I had a theft rate of 15%... thankfully it was just small things- and interestingly enough it was always something someone said they really wanted, or needed to replace and they'd order it, and they never would and then I'd notice mine was missing. I look at it this way- if they need to steal it, then they obviously need it more than I do. :yuck::rolleyes:

Wow, I am soo sorry to hear that! That sucks! :(

I have been trying to figure out a way to make sure i take home what i bring. I notice that sometimes MY things get mixed up with the hostesses and also people are constantly picking up and checking things out. Although we would like to think everyone is honest - i have been in the retail food business for yrs and you can't trust people. It's sad.I have ben trying to take less to shows and like I said - trying to make up some sort of checklist for packing up. I will let the host see it without being tooo obvios about my worries of 'losing 'things.

I once had a hostess switch her old dull food chopper for my good one during my check out and she washed my dishes (even after I very firmly told her not necessary). I noticed on packing up as many of you know we know our products and how they look and feel. I mentioned very casually "did you happen to accidently switch food choppers?" Her reply was very defensive that she did not. When I got home and tried the chopper I could definitely tell it was very dull and scratched.
Chock it up as experience
Cathy

see, sadly I had someone do that with a 400 dollar commercial mixing bowl - and he was a 'friend'!!! How do people sleep at night?

gbakes27 said:
see, sadly I had someone do that with a 400 dollar commercial mixing bowl - and he was a 'friend'!!! How do people sleep at night?

Sadly, they justify it...

I use the pockets in the front of my apron for cash & checks.

That is terrible somebody would do that I would have told my hostess that money was missing and have her ask her guests before they left maybe, I don't know I guess I would have to be in the situation. I do have a prize bag with all my goodies that I give away for games, and I had walked away from it to go in another room and when I came back this girl had put it down really quick and started giggling. I don't think she got away with anything since I caught her red handed but how rude!!!! :mad:

I really emphasize to my hosts that they should keep their own PC things put away. If they get their things out I tell them, with a giggle, to make sure I don't end up taking it home. I have taken at least one host's product home with me. DCG. I didn't even bring mine, but when I was packing up, I put it in my bag. I used it for the recipe. I may have forgotten mine. I don't remember. I had to send it back to her because I live 1.5 hours from her.

I switched from a PC money bag to a simple solid color fabric pencil bag, the kind kids use, with the holes for putting in a notebook. This time of year you can pick them up anywhere. What I like about it, is the pockets on the outside that I put business cards or even mini-catalogs. And it doesn't look like a money bag!!
As far as "mis-placing" products, I've had my share! The one that really got me was last fall at my first show of the season I "lost" my new cranberry skinny scraper! There were over 25 people at that show, who knows what happened! More often than not, it gets left at the Host's house mixed in with her dirty dishes. I don't know how many times I've back tracked looking for something, finally get the right host and they say "Oh, I kept thinking you would call looking for that !" She couldn't call me???? Like everything else in this business, it's a numbers game, do enough shows, and you will "mis-place" some products!!!

I probably have lost a few things, but the ones I've know about the host always gets them back to me. I have my $ in a PC bag, but don't get it out unless someone pays cash. Then I put is back at the bottom of the bag.

I someone pays me cash I note it on the receipt and put the cash in my pocket. I once had someone take $30 from my money bag. I also stamp checks as they give them to me.

What exactly is "Stolen at a Show: An Expensive Lesson - Securing Your Money"?

"Stolen at a Show: An Expensive Lesson - Securing Your Money" is a seminar offered by Pampered Chef that aims to educate consultants on ways to protect their money and personal belongings while working at shows and events.

Why is it important to secure our money at shows?

Shows and events can be chaotic and crowded, making it easier for thieves to steal money and personal belongings. It is important to take precautions and secure your money to prevent any losses.

What are some common ways that money gets stolen at shows?

Some common ways that money gets stolen at shows include pickpocketing, distraction theft, and booth break-ins. Thieves may also pose as customers or vendors to gain access to money and personal belongings.

What are some tips for securing our money at shows?

Some tips for securing your money at shows include keeping it on your person at all times, using a secure cash box, and avoiding leaving large sums of money unattended. It is also important to be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity to event staff.

What should I do if my money does get stolen at a show?

If your money does get stolen at a show, the first step is to report it to event staff and the police. It is also important to document any missing items and contact your bank or credit card company to cancel any stolen cards. Pampered Chef also recommends reaching out to your team leader for support and guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
nene960
  • jj16
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • dannyzmom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies