• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Starting You Show on Time... (Or Close to It!)

In summary, the author used the number 67 to get everyone in the room. He used a sticker to remind people that they were supposed to start on time. He started the show on time and had no problems with it.
AJPratt
Silver Member
What do you do or say to get everyone to sit down or into the room to do the demo? I had a large crowd last night and it was a little difficult. So, I was thinking, should I use like a little dinner bell and make a joke of it? What has or hasn't worked for you in the past?

Read your other post. Congrats on surviving. I had a large crowd last night, too. Just as I was getting started several more people arrived, so I got started late, which made it seem like I took lots of time for the show. Grrrrrr.

What I'm using this time of year is the significant number ploy. Before each show I figure out how many shopping days are left til Christmas. Yesterday it was 67. So, as I'm ready to begin I say this:

"Ok, we'll be starting in a minute or two. In the meantime, I want you to think about this--the number 67. What is significant about the number 67?"

This draws people to their seats. As everyone gets settled down, I ask who has figured out the significance of the number 67. The ideas tossed out give me a chance to talk about the company:

Number of products? Nope, we have lots more products than that. By the way, did you know that over 70% of our items are under $20?

Year the company started? Good guess, but no. Doris Christopher started the company in 1980. She was a stay-at-home mom who wanted to put aside some money for her little ones' schooling. The company is still very family-oriented.

If nobody comes up with the right answer, I tell them. As they're groaning, I say, "But don't worry. You can get a good start on your Christmas shopping tonight."

Then, a few times throughout the show I ask, "How many shopping days til Christmas?"

It works well for me.

I usually just speak in a louder tone and say it is time to get started. but then my biggest crowd has been about 12 people.

I like the dinner bell idea!

raebates said:
Read your other post. Congrats on surviving. I had a large crowd last night, too. Just as I was getting started several more people arrived, so I got started late, which made it seem like I took lots of time for the show. Grrrrrr.

What I'm using this time of year is the significant number ploy. Before each show I figure out how many shopping days are left til Christmas. Yesterday it was 67. So, as I'm ready to begin I say this:

"Ok, we'll be starting in a minute or two. In the meantime, I want you to think about this--the number 67. What is significant about the number 67?"

This draws people to their seats. As everyone gets settled down, I ask who has figured out the significance of the number 67. The ideas tossed out give me a chance to talk about the company:

Number of products? Nope, we have lots more products than that. By the way, did you know that over 70% of our items are under $20?

Year the company started? Good guess, but no. Doris Christopher started the company in 1980. She was a stay-at-home mom who wanted to put aside some money for her little ones' schooling. The company is still very family-oriented.

If nobody comes up with the right answer, I tell them. As they're groaning, I say, "But don't worry. You can get a good start on your Christmas shopping tonight."

Then, a few times throughout the show I ask, "How many shopping days til Christmas?"

It works well for me.

What a great idea!! Can I use your idea?

I ask the host how many more people are coming and go from there. Usually the host will tell me to start the show.

That is a great idea! I am going to use this at my upcoming show!

Great idea with the days till Christmas!!!

letscook04 said:
What a great idea!! Can I use your idea?

I ask the host how many more people are coming and go from there. Usually the host will tell me to start the show.

Please do! It's only fair. I've used so many ideas from this site I'm glad to be able to contribute one.:D

Thanks Rae!:)
Colleen

Yesterday must have been the night for starting late! My recruiter told me that she got started 45 minutes late.

I've had a problem with not starting on time & I decided to start an on time drawing. I got stickers at thebooster.com that say On Time Drawing & I put those next to the time on the invitations. I also put 7:04 PM as the start time, or 4 minutes after when I want the show to start. Every single person came on time/early to my Wednesday show, which was the first one I tried it out. They all came in saying, did I get here before 7:04 for the drawing!

Great idea Rae:) I'll have to use that one too!

Anne, I like the dinner bell. I may have to get one!

I also like the days til Christmas. So would that make tomorrow 65??? Might have to try at the brunch show tomorrow.

Maybe my style would be more like a large gong!

I can just see you doing that Anne!! :)
LOVE the days til Christmas idea!!

raebates said:

It works well for me.

:eek: *GASP*
This is BRILLIANT!
Where's my two animated beer drinking dudes with the spindly arms?!

... BRILLIANT!

pamperedgirl3 said:
I also put 7:04 PM as the start time, or 4 minutes after when I want the show to start. Every single person came on time/early to my Wednesday show, which was the first one I tried it out. They all came in saying, did I get here before 7:04 for the drawing!

Yes, they notice!

Here's my trick. I always put 6:27 (6:30) 6:57 (7:00) or 10:57 (11:00 a.m.) for my show start times. I'd rather they arrive early, we know they will come late. I do this is because people REMEMBER the start time. This doesn't mean we start at 6:30 on the dot but it does help.

Also, you take a dinner bell with you every time you go to a show. Set your timer to go off when the show is supposed to start. Ignore it until everyone notices that it is going off. "Oh, it must be time to start" Then you can tell them about one of our best products, the clock/timer and start your show.

That's a great idea for the timer, as well as doing weird start times. One of my fave restaurants is open from 7:57 a - 10:03 p and everyone knows it.

I don't think I have EVER had a show start ON TIME! Usually 20-30 mins later or as late as 1 hour for it to start, waiting for people to show! It gets annoying at times but I let the host decide when she is done waiting bascially. I wish everyone were prompt like myself but what do ya do?

I had my second show with the on time drawing & all but 2 people showed on time. Those two actually called to tell the host they would be late. I will no longer start late! I am not going to make less per hour while standing around doing nothing waiting for the last one or two to show-who usually never spend much, talk the whole time & don't book a show! It's also rude to those who do show up on time & end up just sitting there.

I specifically put my time as 4 minutes after the hour because I still want to be able to arrive only 45-60 minutes early & want to be done 15 min early so I am ready when everyone gets there. I grab my basket at the time of the drawing & do my opening. Then I get a winner & we start with intros. It's been a great way to "start" the show. I used to try to wait until everyone got quiet, etc. Now I'm in control of when we start, not the guests. So far it's been working for me, so I'll keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore!

How do you do the on time drawing? Do you have them do the DPDS at the beginning then?

I used to do an on-time drawing. I just took a handful of tickets and handed one to everyone who was there - and in the demo area - at the start time. Then I'd draw one.

I stopped doing this because I encountered a lot of people misreading the sticker (I used the "On Time Drawing" with a drawing of a watch from The Booster) as "On Time Gift," and then they got mad when I wasn't just handing out gifts. But I think I'm going to start back up with them.

I think its a good thing to try. I just might do that.

chefjeanine said:
Set your timer to go off when the show is supposed to start. Ignore it until everyone notices that it is going off. "Oh, it must be time to start" Then you can tell them about one of our best products, the clock/timer and start your show.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I usually put an odd time on the invite but I am thinking about putting, arrive at 6:45, show starts at 7pm or something like that.

Yes, I have them use the DPDS. You could do something else if you wanted to wait until the end. I always felt silly having them do the DPDS at the end & then saying I haven't read them yet or seeing a no & then still asking if they wanted to have a show. So now I ask them about shows & recruiting before I look at the slip & then say, now let me look at your drawing slip to see if you wanted information on anything else. I haven't noticed it hurting my sales--but I've only used it for a couple of shows right now.

I use the booster sticker too & I figure that's too bad if people think they're getting a gift! Just kidding--actually I haven't had that problem. Everyone comes running in asking if they made it in time for the drawing.

This gets so aggravating! It is a wste of our time to sit around and wait. I have decided after once again starting late waiting on people to arrive that never get there yesterday that i wll start on time no matter who is there!

jrstephens said:
This gets so aggravating! It is a wste of our time to sit around and wait. I have decided after once again starting late waiting on people to arrive that never get there yesterday that i wll start on time no matter who is there!
That's true... Some people you are "waiting" for just never show up!

Totally agree! That's why I'm doing the drawing. As long as one person is there, I'm starting! I don't want the people who are already there feel like they are not as important as whoever it is we are waiting for so the show can begin!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Totally agree! That's why I'm doing the drawing. As long as one person is there, I'm starting! I don't want the people who are already there feel like they are not as important as whoever it is we are waiting for so the show can begin!
That's how I feel. I want to respect the people who respected the show time!

I like this. I might start doing an on-time drawing. I do the regular DPDS at the end plus Pampered Poker but I can afford a third goodie if it gets me started on time! My shows are starting 20-30 minutes late and this is a big area I'd like to improve in.

I think you really have to take control in these situtations. You can be nice about it but be firm!

I usually wait no more than ten minutes after we are supposed to start (and actually I think five minutes is too much). I tell them "I'm going to get started now and anyone who comes in later can join in when they arrive".

Punctuality is a sign of respect. We need to respect those guests that arrived on time.

For the first time, I mentioned to my host to pass out folders to anyone who arrived after I started an that was a big help. Even though I started 20-30 mins late, I wass done everything and the guests where gone by 9. It was a FAST demo. Love that Mom's Apple Crisp!

Getting startedI always tell my host before guest arrive, that I don't want to keep those who arrive on time waiting and just so the night doesn't go too long for anyone, that it's best if we don't start later than 7:10 (10 minutes after show time) So when SuzyHost thinks all are there, I've asked her before hand to introduce me when she'd like to start so that I am not the one rallying her chatty friends to listen to me--a complete stranger. It's better coming from the host I find.

most everybody is late and when we are ready to start, i just say...ladies, i would love to get started, can i pamper you by having a seat in this lovely home that our host has provided for us this evening? they usually have a seat and feel special to know that i am going to pamper them by cooking for them, teaching them some tips, and the host will be serving them up and i will be taking their money before they leave...and since we are all adults we eat dessert before eat the main entree becuase i always bring it and it keeps them quiet while i talk through the first 10 minutes and then i want them to ask questions. about my tools as i prepare the recipe.

I LIKE THAT IDEA!!! Give them the the dessert first!

pamperedgirl3 said:
Yesterday must have been the night for starting late! My recruiter told me that she got started 45 minutes late.

I've had a problem with not starting on time & I decided to start an on time drawing. I got stickers at thebooster.com that say On Time Drawing & I put those next to the time on the invitations. I also put 7:04 PM as the start time, or 4 minutes after when I want the show to start. Every single person came on time/early to my Wednesday show, which was the first one I tried it out. They all came in saying, did I get here before 7:04 for the drawing!
That is a great idea for the on time drawing. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that at my next show. I have a really hard time starting when I want to b/c with the different military schedules people always have an excuse.

Kudos to you all I have learned alot from this site.

lisacb77 said:
I like this. I might start doing an on-time drawing. I do the regular DPDS at the end plus Pampered Poker but I can afford a third goodie if it gets me started on time! My shows are starting 20-30 minutes late and this is a big area I'd like to improve in.
What is Pampered Poker?

There is a thread on here about it. Just run a search and it should pop up.

My director is a stickler for starting on time. She emphasized to all of us the importance of letting our hostess know during coaching and prep time that you Are going to start on time (within 5 min). Here is what I do, at the time of show I thank those that are on time and begin with introductions, letting them know that this will give late comers some extra time.

As for my director, she begins with intros if a few are there but if not....
She goes as far as by 15 after if noone is there she hands the hostess some extra catalogs and makes it a catalog show and she is gone. This sounds harsh but she is booked solid for 3-4 months in advance.

Anyway my point was emphasize starting on time during your coaching and prep times. I'm sure wierd starting times and drawings help too.

Love this site
pamperedgirl3 said:

I went to the booster site and WOW, tons of neat stuff. I ordered the 3 prices cards to use as business cards. Here's my question, have any of you put business cards in with your local bills? Thought of that while I was shopping. The water, electric and cable gals have lives too :rolleyes:

Diane, I've heard of that idea, but I've never tried it. Might be worth a shot!

chefann said:
I used to do an on-time drawing. I just took a handful of tickets and handed one to everyone who was there - and in the demo area - at the start time. Then I'd draw one.

I stopped doing this because I encountered a lot of people misreading the sticker (I used the "On Time Drawing" with a drawing of a watch from The Booster) as "On Time Gift," and then they got mad when I wasn't just handing out gifts. But I think I'm going to start back up with them.

I put on the invitations that those that arrive on time will receive a raffle ticket. At the end of the show, I draw 'x' amount of tickets (based on number of guests) for prizes. For those that arrived on time, they have one more ticket than those that were late. Thus, giving them more possibilities of winning.

I also do an on time drawing for 5 minutes after start time. My timer goes off and we start. I let them know I respect their time and mine and appreciate them getting there on time. The late comers can just catch up with us. Then I give a season's best as the on time prize. I also love the significant # idea. Thanks

Diane, I like that idea. What if at 15 after there are only 2 guests there? Would she leave then as well?

lisacb77 said:
Diane, I like that idea. What if at 15 after there are only 2 guests there? Would she leave then as well?

no just if noone showed up. our cluster meetings don't even start late lol

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LeighPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Jennifer golden
  • cindykl2009
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen