• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Skillet Confusion: Non Stick or Stainless?

In summary, the recipe for the Jerk Pork Tenderloin says nonstick, but the recipe for the Asian Pork and Noodle Skillet does not. The Tamale Verde Skillet says the Executive skillet is in the picture, but does not specify what type of cookware it should be made in.
JAE
When a recipe says (12-in.) Skillet does that mean non stick or stainless? I made the Jerk Pork Tenderloin in the non stick skillet tonight, but maybe it should have been made in the stainless. Sometimes it says stainless, so I assumed the recipe didn't call for stainless. BUT, the Asian Pork and Noodle Skillet doesnt say stainless and I know it is supposed to be made in the SS cookware. The Tamale Verde Skillet shows the Executive skillet in the picture but just says "Skillet" in the recipe. How do we know?

I had this same question, so I look forward to seeing what kind of response you get. I thought maybe I was just overlooking something (I still may be!), but it feels better knowing I am not the only one confused by that.

Just my own two cents, but if there is browning involved, or the word "deglaze" appears, it's got to be SS. If there are ingredients that are high in sugars or sticky, I'd go with the non-stick. I don't have an official answer.

I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you what I believe. I don't think it matters. I actually do not own the stainless steal and I have been preparing the Asian Pork and Noodle Skillet at home and shows in the Roasting Pan. It saves time because, unlike the size of the 12 in. I can cook all the pork at the same time. I do have to cover with foil. I use this opportunity to talk about why you don't need a cover for meat and turkey, but I do to absorb the liquid in the recipe. I looked at wordings of various recipes and I couldn't see anything that would suggest you have to use one cookware or the other. I couldn't find a recipe that I thought would have to ONLY go in one or the other. I'm going to email the test kitchen and get their response. They are great on responding.

I was looking at the new 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook and when a dish calls for a specific type of cookware it does specifiy (for example, if a dish is to be broiled, it says to not use nonstick....)

So...if our recipes don't specify, then I agree that it doesn't matter for most recipes. The differences are stated above....when something needs "fond" and deglazing for example.

I know some of you who are on now will probably have some info about this. Please, chime in.

Can't really add anything - I would say the same thing as others.

Personally, I would ALWAYS use nonstick UNLESS there was de-glazing or high oven temps or broiling involved.

So, it's okay to heat a nonstick pan on medium high? I always thought medium heat was the max. for nonstick.

JAE said:
So, it's okay to heat a nonstick pan on medium high? I always thought medium heat was the max. for nonstick.

It's fine! The other thing to consider is when was the recipe written? Only the newest recipes would even raise this question, since we have only had nonstick until this season.

I made the pork tenderloin with Jamaican Jerk Rub from the 29 minutes to dinner. It called for heating at medium high in the 10" skillet.

Can't look at the recipe:grumpy: I STILL don't have my "on loan" products back!!! (I emailed her again this morning!)

I heat my nonstick at med-high. You just need to keep an eye on it, and only leave it at that temp for a couple of minutes.

chefann said:
I heat my nonstick at med-high. You just need to keep an eye on it, and only leave it at that temp for a couple of minutes.
I do as well. Just be sure not to heat it like that empty! (Making the pork noodle skillet, I definately had it turned up to med-high so it would brown/sear quickly! Worked great for me!)

That's true - if you have something in the skillet, it will absorb some of the "excess" heat so that you shouldn't have problems. When I pre-heat nonstick pans, I usually put a little oil in them. That way, the oil gets hot, it distributes some of the heat, and should the pan get too hot, the oil will start to smoke (and THAT, I'll notice!).

Thank you all for your help. Becky, maybe you should call her. You're leaving tomorrow aren't you? Then you have a show the day after you get back, so you don't want to stress about whether you'll have your products. I borrowed the DCB from someone and took it back the same day my second show was over. I really didn't want to because I wanted to use it again, but...

Related to Skillet Confusion: Non Stick or Stainless?

1. What is the main difference between non-stick and stainless steel skillets?

Non-stick skillets have a coating that prevents food from sticking to the pan, while stainless steel skillets do not have this coating and rely on oil or butter for a non-stick surface.

2. Can I use metal utensils on a non-stick skillet?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils on a non-stick skillet as they can scratch and damage the non-stick coating. It is best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils when cooking with a non-stick skillet.

3. How do I clean a non-stick or stainless steel skillet?

Non-stick skillets should be hand-washed with a non-abrasive sponge and mild dish soap. For stainless steel skillets, it is recommended to use a stainless steel cleaner or a mixture of water and vinegar to remove any stuck-on food. Avoid using steel wool or harsh cleaning products on either type of skillet.

4. Which type of skillet is better for cooking delicate foods?

A non-stick skillet is better for cooking delicate foods, such as eggs or fish, as it prevents them from sticking and breaking apart. However, stainless steel skillets can also be used for delicate foods if they are properly seasoned and the heat is carefully monitored.

5. Can I use a non-stick skillet on an induction cooktop?

No, non-stick skillets are not compatible with induction cooktops. Only stainless steel or cast iron skillets can be used on induction cooktops, as they are magnetic and can conduct heat effectively.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • Dotty
  • General Chat
Replies