• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should It Take 4 Hours to Bake Scalloped Potatoes in the Rectangle

In summary, the caller said that it took her mom 4 hours to bake scalloped potatoes in a rectangle baker. Maybe she needs a new oven, and the potatoes only took 2 hours if done in a foil-covered oven. The potatoes should be cooked at 375-400 degrees with foil on.
kisrae
Gold Member
Should it take 4 hours to bake scalloped potatoes in the rectangle baker?
I had someone call me and said the it took her mom 4hours to bake. Any idea?

Maybe she needs a new oven...

I wouldn't think so!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend that they use foil over the rectagle baker, to keep the steam in to cook the potatoes. I could see it even taking 2 hours, if the baker was full all the way! How thick were the potatoes? My Goodness, that just seems WRONG!!!! What temperature did they use????!!! I would figure, even at 350 degrees it wouldn't take that long! I would recommend 375-400 degrees with foil on! check for tenderness, but I would think that it would probably be almost ready in an hour if done at this temperature. Then take the foil off and bake it for another 20 minutes or so to get the top to be golden.
4 hours just doesn't seem to make sense to me! :confused: :yuck: :eek:

Does it take her 4 hours to bake them in a non-PC 9x13 pan? Because they shouldn't take any longer just because they're in stoneware. The only things that need additional time on stones are things that have very short cooktime (like cookies), to allow the stone to heat up.

I make au gratin potatoes, which are very similar, all the time in the rectangular baker. It takes no where near 4 hours.

I do think it is her oven. She used cursenart(?) to cut the potatoes so they were cut thin. I'm going to test it out in my oven this week.
But I think she just needs a new oven.

raebates said:
I make au gratin potatoes, which are very similar, all the time in the rectangular baker. It takes no where near 4 hours.

TOTALLY off-subject....but Rae - could you share your Au Gratin Potato recipe? I'm actually looking for a good one.

I'll look it up when I get home. Mine comes from one of the Top Secret Recipes books. It's Ruth's Chris Steakhouse Au Gratin Potatoes. Very garlicky. Very yummy.

raebates said:
I'll look it up when I get home. Mine comes from one of the Top Secret Recipes books. It's Ruth's Chris Steakhouse Au Gratin Potatoes. Very garlicky. Very yummy.

UUUMMMM!!! Can't wait! I may take it to our Harvest Dinner @ church this Sunday!

raebates said:
That's where I got my Key Lime Cheesecake recipe. It's supposedly the Cheesecake Factory recipe. :)

My recipe book falls open to the au gratin potatoes recipe. We love it.

I'm just joking - did she have her oven on?

Ruth's Chris Steak House Potatoes Au Gratin

[I make a single recipe in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. I triple it when I make it in the Rectangular Baker, adding 10 minutes to the covered baking time and another 20 to the uncovered baking time.]

3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 T flour
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 T butter, softened*
1 1/2 c grated Cheddar cheese
1 t finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices, then quarter each slice.

3. Whisk together the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt, and pepper just until combined.

4. Coat the inside of your baking dish with the softened butter.

5. Arrange 1/4 of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Pour some of the cream mixture over the potatoes--just enough to cover. Repeat three more times. (You may have extra cream mixture. Be sure to add just enough to cover the potatoes. [My cats love the leftovers.])

6. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover. Bake another 40 minutes, or until potatoes are starting to brown on top.

7. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the potatoes. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slighted browned.

8. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve.

*I don't actually spread butter over my dish. If I'm using the 1 1/2 qt dish, I spray it with Baker's Joy. If I'm using the Rectangular Baker, I don't use anything at all.

Oooohhhh - Thanks so much Rae!!!

I am making these for sure Sunday!

Gina M said:
I'm just joking - did she have her oven on?

that was exectly my first thought.
seems anytime something goes wrong in the oven it's the stoneware thats the problem.....couldn't be USER ERROR, Nahhhhh :rolleyes:

reba515 said:
seems anytime something goes wrong in the oven it's the stoneware thats the problem.....couldn't be USER ERROR, Nahhhhh :rolleyes:

And except for a gigantic turkey - I don't think I've ever cooked anything for 4 hours in the oven (now the crock pot is another story)

raebates said:
Ruth's Chris Steak House Potatoes Au Gratin

[I make a single recipe in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. I triple it when I make it in the Rectangular Baker, adding 10 minutes to the covered baking time and another 20 to the uncovered baking time.]

3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 T flour
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 T butter, softened*
1 1/2 c grated Cheddar cheese
1 t finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices, then quarter each slice.

3. Whisk together the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt, and pepper just until combined.

4. Coat the inside of your baking dish with the softened butter.

5. Arrange 1/4 of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Pour some of the cream mixture over the potatoes--just enough to cover. Repeat three more times. (You may have extra cream mixture. Be sure to add just enough to cover the potatoes. [My cats love the leftovers.])

6. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover. Bake another 40 minutes, or until potatoes are starting to brown on top.

7. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the potatoes. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slighted browned.

8. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve.

*I don't actually spread butter over my dish. If I'm using the 1 1/2 qt dish, I spray it with Baker's Joy. If I'm using the Rectangular Baker, I don't use anything at all.
Thanks for sharing with us, Rae, I think I'll be making this dish sometime this coming weekend!!
What would you think of adding some crushed bacon in it? I make an augratin potato dish that has bacon in it and my family loves it:love: , just curious what you thought about adding some bacon to this dish? :confused:

Maybe she had it down real low or something. I have had potatoes take 2 hours to cook before but not 4.

If anyone wants my Au Gratin recipe, it is found in the Betty Crocker box down the potato aisle!! HAHA!!:D

reba515 said:
DH refers to that as "Loser Error." It's appropriate more times than not. :)

and then there's always the I-D-10-T error.

1. How long should it take to bake scalloped potatoes in the rectangle?

The average baking time for scalloped potatoes in the rectangle is approximately 4 hours. However, the exact baking time may vary depending on the recipe and the type of oven being used.

2. Why does it take 4 hours to bake scalloped potatoes in the rectangle?

Scalloped potatoes are a dish that requires a longer baking time in order to fully cook and soften the potatoes. The layers of potatoes, sauce, and cheese need enough time to meld together and create a creamy and delicious dish.

3. Can I reduce the baking time for scalloped potatoes in the rectangle?

Yes, you can reduce the baking time for scalloped potatoes by using thinner slices of potatoes or by pre-cooking the potatoes before assembling the dish. You can also increase the oven temperature, but be sure to keep an eye on the potatoes to prevent them from burning.

4. What temperature should I bake scalloped potatoes in the rectangle?

The recommended temperature for baking scalloped potatoes in the rectangle is 350°F. This allows the potatoes to cook evenly and prevents them from becoming too crispy on the outside.

5. How can I tell if my scalloped potatoes in the rectangle are done baking?

The best way to tell if your scalloped potatoes are done baking is to insert a knife or fork into the center of the dish. The potatoes should be soft and tender, and the cheese on top should be golden and bubbly. If the potatoes are still firm, they may need more baking time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • PamperedK
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
catlwilles
  • Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies