• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Secure Delivery: Host's Experience with FedEx Delivery Woes

In summary, A recent host received her delivery from FedEx and all but one box were left on her porch. The host was dismayed at the lack of protection for the boxes and asked if anyone has arranged for FedEx to hold the delivery at a different location. Other members shared similar experiences with FedEx and how they handle deliveries for their hosts. Some also mentioned that they have packages delivered to their own homes for their hosts. Overall, it was noted that FedEx's service has declined in recent times.
ChefPeg
Gold Member
A recent host received her delivery today. When her husband got home, all the boxes (except one, which will be delivered tomorrow) were on their porch. Nothing was missing, but the host was dismayed that FedEx would just leave them there, unprotected. Anybody in the neighborhood could have just walked up and helped themself, which is probably what she thought happened to box #5.
Has anyone here arranged to have FedEx hold it at their location if that's what the host prefers?

Re: FedExFedEx is drop and run here as well. They barely knock....used to at least ring the doorbell.

Re: FedExWe have UPS here in Canada and they are the same .. drop and go ....

Re: FedExThat's how it works. If my host works or doesn't think she will be home or lives in an apartment I offer to have it shipped to me and then she picks it up, or we meet, or I deliver depending on where she lives. If she lives too far away to offer that or if I won't be around to take delivery we come up with an alternate address for delivery. Often hosts feel fine with it being there till she gets home. I don't sit around all day waiting for a box and *knock on wood* haven't had any issues with missing boxes.

Re: FedExYes, I will offer to have orders shipped here for hosts.

I am actually glad they don't require a signature - I would never get my deliveries!! :)

And, yes, my FedEx guy has stopped ringing the doorbell, too. :( Just drops and runs.

I actually just ran into a situation with a delivery that UPS wouldn't leave without a signature. They don't deliver on Saturdays and DH & I work full time. What a hassle! I kept trying to "pre-authorize" and it wouldn't let me. I left notes pleading with the driver to leave the item. Finally, I talked to someone at UPS main who let me pre-authorize the delivery. It wasn't easy!

Re: FedExKathleen, you can also leave a note on your door stating that a neighbor has the authority to take the delivery with their name, address and your signature.

Re: FedExI had to chuckle at this. Obviously this host doesnt order things online much or she has been living under a rock ;)
I think there is hardly a daythat goes by that I dont have a deliver, or my neighbor.I have had shows delivered to me if the host was concerned about the drop and run. I do also try to give my host a heads up on the shipping too...so they know when it is expected, once I have a tracking number. That may not be feasible for all to do but my schedule is light, so not alot to track.

Re: FedEx
BethCooks4U said:
Kathleen, you can also leave a note on your door stating that a neighbor has the authority to take the delivery with their name, address and your signature.

That was my last option if I couldn't get the pre-authorize. But, UPS first told me I could only do it with a neighbor on either side. The one neighbor who would have been home was 2 doors up. Finally, the last person I spoke to said it could be 2 doors up - but she is the one who got me pre-authorized...so it all worked out in the end. It was a complete run around!

Re: FedExI do the same thing... have a host order delivered to me if there is concern.... but what I LOVE (despise) about my fed ex driver is that he drops boxes.. and stacks them on my stairs at my front door which aren't very wide... he came one day while I was in the shower and left the boxes like that... I opened the door and four of six boxes tumbled down my walk way. 3 broken stones. I was so mad. So I try to watch for him so he can bring them in the foyer and I can watch him. The word "fragile" is a foreign concept.

Re: FedExI know that our local Fed Ex hub had major layoffs, so they are severely short staffed, which probably explains why the extra 10 seconds to ring a doorbell has been cut from their delivery duties. That said, I've never had boxes stolen, but they have arrived in some serious shape...like someone has kicked it around (like Jim Carrey in Pet Detective!)I also will have orders shipped to my home for my hosts if their neighborhood isn't the greatest.

Re: FedExGone are the days of pride in your work.....granted, I know it is not ALL of them thankfully, but too many. Its like waiters who spit in your food or worse. Grow up and do your job with pride, even if no one is watching!Slighhtly off topic from the original post, I know. But reading the comments of the boxes arriving mangled, stacking them on stairs KNOWING they will fall, etc.....irritating to think that adults have no pride in their work or care for others. Do those five extra seconds of good service really impact you that much??? Even if you make 200 deliveries in a day (no clue what typical would be), that would add a whopping 16-17 minutes to the work. Wow.

Re: FedExWhen I checked the tracking on box #5 for the host I mentioned above, there was a clickable option to "Hold at FedEx location." Apparently it's not available to everyone everywhere due to location/distance from FedEx location, but it is an option for some. The catch is that only the addressed recipient, sender, or 3rd party payer can request that service and I guess you have to do it after you receive notice that it's been shipped and before it arrives on your doorstep. I'm going to start letting my hosts know about this.

Hold at FedEx Location
Not all shipments are eligible for this option.

Only the shipper, recipient or payor of the shipping transaction may make a Hold at FedEx Location request.

FedEx does not guarantee that the request can be fulfilled.

If your shipment is eligible, FedEx Express will attempt to have your shipment available for pickup by the next business day after the estimated delivery date.

Government issued photo I.D. is required for shipment pickup.

Ability to request a Hold at FedEx Location via fedex.com is available for U.S. destined shipments only.

vanscootin said:
I do the same thing... have a host order delivered to me if there is concern.... but what I LOVE (despise) about my fed ex driver is that he drops boxes.. and stacks them on my stairs at my front door which aren't very wide... he came one day while I was in the shower and left the boxes like that... I opened the door and four of six boxes tumbled down my walk way. 3 broken stones. I was so mad. So I try to watch for him so he can bring them in the foyer and I can watch him. The word "fragile" is a foreign concept.

My FedEx/UPS drivers have left boxes in front of the garage door, so I would have to get out of the car and move them before I could drive in. Luckily I'm quite observant, but I could totally see hubby driving over a box, especially a smaller one from Amazon or something.

Re: FedExI have had them left on my front steps and my door opens OUTWARD, so I have to lug them out of the way, just to get to the door. Now, they usually leave the boxes in my enclosed breezeway. Yeah, I have to move them to get to my main door to my house, but at least they are sheltered and not about to tumble down the stairs.When I received my samples order, they were on my front step all catty whompass and I did have some broken items. First I think it was because HO packed the boxes so poorly and the boxes had WAY too much inside. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.

Re: FedExHo does pack pretty poorly I mean they just throw everything in there with a sheet a buuble wrap and a bit of paper lol. But I have actually never had anything break. "Knocks on wood"
Now my Fedex and UPS drop and go too but I work with them on a daily bases for our business so I know my guys on first name bases. I leave packages out on my porch for pickup even but then of course my neighbors are cows so I am pretty sure nothing will happen lol

Brenda.the.chef said:
I have had them left on my front steps and my door opens OUTWARD, so I have to lug them out of the way, just to get to the door. Now, they usually leave the boxes in my enclosed breezeway. Yeah, I have to move them to get to my main door to my house, but at least they are sheltered and not about to tumble down the stairs.

When I received my samples order, they were on my front step all catty whompass and I did have some broken items. First I think it was because HO packed the boxes so poorly and the boxes had WAY too much inside. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often.

Just have to point out that catty whompass is an awesome, under used word.

Re: FedExI haven't been with PC very long, but I've noticed the boxes they use are pretty weak along the vertical edges. I've received no less than 5 boxes with an edge blown out.

Last edited:
Re: FedExI don't worry too much about them being left as they're insured and if, for some reason, they did go missing, it would get resent no charge.

Re: FedExFedex guys get paid piece rate, and it registers the minute they put in their hand held computer that they dropped it. The more they drop, the more they make. they hustle to get their trucks unloaded for this reason.

ChefPeg said:
I haven't been with PC very long, but I've noticed the boxes they use are pretty weak along the upright edges. I've received no less than 5 boxes with an edge blown out.

That's funny, because I think they are very sturdy boxes...I reuse them for lots of things. FedEx on the other hand- if you sit an elephant on a box or kick it down field- yeah, it will give way. ;) You must be lucky enough to have a great handling facility between HO and your door! I don't recall ever having a box mangled (maybe loose tape- that's it), and I've been with PC 4 yrs now.

esavvymom said:
That's funny, because I think they are very sturdy boxes...I reuse them for lots of things. FedEx on the other hand- if you sit an elephant on a box or kick it down field- yeah, it will give way. ;) You must be lucky enough to have a great handling facility between HO and your door! I don't recall ever having a box mangled (maybe loose tape- that's it), and I've been with PC 4 yrs now.

Hmmm... I have had many mangled boxes, reaped with tons of tape, even reboxed into a different box. You're the lucky one it sounds like.

BethCooks4U said:
Hmmm... I have had many mangled boxes, reaped with tons of tape, even reboxed into a different box. You're the lucky one it sounds like.

Sorry....:( I probably just jinxed myself too.

Re: FedExMy FedEx driver and whatever postal carrier is delivering my route (haven't had a regular carrier for several years) are idiots. I have an enclosed front porch. So where to they put my boxes? Either on my front steps in front of the porch our outside my back door. And my FedEx driver probably rings the bell that you can't hear because it doesn't work. My husband works nights and gets quite irritated when he tries to step out the back door and can't because the nitwit driver blocked it with boxes that belong on the front porch. I finally put a sign on my back door that says "if you're leaving a delivery here, YOU ARE WRONG!! All deliveries belong on the enclosed front porch." There is also a sign on my front screen door indicating it is open and deliveries are to be put inside. That seems to have worked...

Re: FedExPC uses FedEx Home Delivery, which is delivery Tues. - Sat. No signature required. All of which I tell my hosts. If they want it delivered to their work, they can, but there is the risk that it will be a Sat. delivery. It is my understanding that FedEx Home are independent contractors. This is why at Christmas time you will see plain trucks without a FedEx logo on it doing deliveries because they have brought on additional people. Luckily my guy puts my boxes in big plastic bags if there's any hint of rain since I don't have an overhang or porch.

lt1jane said:
My FedEx driver and whatever postal carrier is delivering my route (haven't had a regular carrier for several years) are idiots. I have an enclosed front porch. So where to they put my boxes? Either on my front steps in front of the porch our outside my back door. And my FedEx driver probably rings the bell that you can't hear because it doesn't work. My husband works nights and gets quite irritated when he tries to step out the back door and can't because the nitwit driver blocked it with boxes that belong on the front porch. I finally put a sign on my back door that says "if you're leaving a delivery here, YOU ARE WRONG!! All deliveries belong on the enclosed front porch." There is also a sign on my front screen door indicating it is open and deliveries are to be put inside. That seems to have worked...

Before you put that sign up they could not enter the enclosed porch. For many people that's like trespassing. I do not want people coming into my garage either. Its almost like they are entering the home. I'm sure they are told not to enter enclosed areas unless otherwise instructed by the resident.

Re: FedExmy bigger issue is that both places are in plain view of the street. And why would you block a door? As has been the case at my house, my husband has been INSIDE sleeping and by blocking the door, he can't get out!

ChefShalon said:
but then of course my neighbors are cows so I am pretty sure nothing will happen lol

LOL:blushing: I read this and thought, "what kind of neighbors do you have that you would describe them as cows?" Oh, REAL cows! Haaaa! I get it now.

BethCooks4U said:
That's how it works. If my host works or doesn't think she will be home or lives in an apartment I offer to have it shipped to me and then she picks it up, or we meet, or I deliver depending on where she lives. If she lives too far away to offer that or if I won't be around to take delivery we come up with an alternate address for delivery. Often hosts feel fine with it being there till she gets home. I don't sit around all day waiting for a box and *knock on wood* haven't had any issues with missing boxes.

This is what I do as well.

Re: FedExI've been having lots of problems with how PC is taping up the boxes....by the time they get to my house, the tape is gone or all mangled and not holding the box shut any longer. The bottom of the box has one piece of tape that doesn't even go up the sides of the box and sometimes the boxes are falling apart. I've been forwarding them e-mails every time I get one or when my hosts get one that is bad. They say they are forwarding it to the shipping department, but at this point, I haven't seen an improvement.

Re: FedExEverytime I find a box that is not securely taped or overfilled I call HO and let them know. They need to know that they are not packaging the boxes correctly.

Re: FedExOur Fed Ex guy does put bags over the boxes if it's raining but if the heavens open up and let loose hours after it was bright and sunny he has no way to forecast that! However, one year when I scored big in the Sell A Thon they shipped my changeover box and free products together. Not one piece of paper was ruined! That's how great HO is about packaging. Though I wonder many times why they need so much paper, now I see why.My guy rarely comes to the front ... and I think it's only when we see he's coming. Usually he leaves it all on the side porch so it's a little less out of view. Though in the winter, I often wonder why he does that. Sometimes in the winter my driveway is so icy! When I got a Deep Covered Baker I wondered why he risked life, limb and breakage to take it there.

1. How can I ensure the security of my FedEx delivery?

One way to ensure the security of your FedEx delivery is to request a signature upon delivery. This way, the package will not be left unattended and will only be released to the recipient or someone authorized to sign for the package.

2. What if I am not home to receive my FedEx delivery?

If you are not able to be home to receive your FedEx delivery, you can request for the package to be held at a FedEx location for pick up. You can also request for the package to be delivered on a specific date when you will be available to receive it.

3. Can I choose to have my FedEx delivery held at a different location?

Yes, you can choose to have your FedEx delivery held at a different location, such as a FedEx store or authorized retail location. You can specify this preference when tracking your package online or by contacting FedEx customer service.

4. What should I do if my FedEx delivery is left unattended?

If your FedEx delivery is left unattended, you can contact FedEx customer service to report the issue. They will investigate the matter and take appropriate actions to ensure the security of your package in the future.

5. Can I request for a signature upon delivery for all my FedEx packages?

Yes, you can set up a standing delivery instruction with FedEx to require a signature for all your packages. This can be done through your online account or by contacting customer service. Keep in mind that this may result in a delay in delivery as the driver will need to obtain a signature for each package.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LisaJG
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kaseydee
  • shanpaul
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
shanpaul
  • ChefinHarmony