• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Soap Residue from a 9x13 Casserole Stone

In summary, the soapy taste on a stone can be removed by baking soda and hot water. If your stone is not well-seasoned, you can try lining the bottom of the stone with crescent rolls and letting them cook.
Becky
We took our 9x13 filled with a cassarole to a church dinner and bunco. While we were playing bunco someone washed the stone with soap and water. What do we do now. How do we get the soap out of the stone. Thanks for your help

Try washing it with baking soda and hot water...

Someone once told me, that if you have a self-cleaning oven, you can put your stone in and do a self-clean cycle, and that will get it hot enough to "burn out" any soapy taste. I don't know if it works, but, it might be worth a try. I assume it is safe for the stone, since they are kiln-fired at like 2000 degrees, right? You may want to check with HO first. Also, if your stone is really well seasoned, it might not have absorbed the soap. Good Luck. Let us know how it is resolved.

Dawn

No problem. Washing the stone once with soap doesn't matter. It's if you continually wash it with soap that down the road your food might taste soapy. The soap tends to bond to the seasoning of the stone. Every once and awhile a helpful host will wash my stone in soap while I'm taking orders.
They all still are great!

Becky: If your stone is not well-seasoned, you might want to try this idea: use an inexpensive can of crescent rolls to line the bottom of your stone and let them cook as usual. Discard the crescent rolls when the cooking is done and your stone will be re-seasoned, minus any soapy taste.

HTH!

Mary

Do NOT put your stones in the oven on self cleaning. That can ruin them. If you use a lot of soap on your stones, then just bake some biscuits and it will pull the soap from the seasoning. THROW THE BISCUITS AWAY!

The soap adhears to the seasoning, not into the stone.

For those of you that are phobic and need to use some soap, use a LITTLE BIT and it won't do anything. It only is a problem if you use a lot of soap.

Was there a thread that recommended baking soda and vinegar to desoap stones?

Paula in TN

I am not sure I understand the whole idea of the soap seeping into the stones. If that were the case, then when you bake cookies that flavor would then transfer to your pizzas and visa versa. I wash mine all the time with my same sponge I wash all dishes with. I just squeeze out the soap and then I use the scrubby side. It has never tasted like soap. I however do not tell my customers that since that is not a PC rule. I think people get freaked out about "seasoning the stones". People at parties always ask me about it and act like it is something so serious. I have even had several tell me they haven't used theirs yet because they haven't seasoned it yet.
Laura :)

The main reason that you do not want to wash your stones with soap is that soap is a loosening agent and will actually loosen your seasoning. It will take much longer to create a well seasoned stone when you wash it with soap than if you do not. If you want to create that nice dark seasoning then keep the soap away as much as possible.

Thanks, Ginger, for the tip about not putting your stones in the oven on self-clean. Like I said, someone told me, years ago, that you could do that to "burn off" any soapy taste, but, I don't remember who it was, and I never knew if it would even work anyway. I'm glad I mentioned it here, so that those of us who didn't know could learn from your expertise. You, as well as many others on this site, are certainly great assets to the PC Community. Thanks so much for all that you share. :D

Dawn

Another quick idea is to keep a flour/sugar shaker filled with baking soda near your sink to use for scrubbing your stone. :D

1. How do I remove soap residue from my 9x13 casserole stone?

To remove soap residue from your 9x13 casserole stone, first rinse the stone with warm water. Then, mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray the solution onto the stone. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then scrub with a soft brush or sponge. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a cloth.

2. Can I use soap to clean my casserole stone?

It is not recommended to use soap on your casserole stone, as it can leave behind a residue that can affect the taste of your food. If soap has been used on your stone, follow the steps listed in the first question to remove the residue.

3. What if the soap residue is stubborn and won't come off?

If the soap residue is stubborn and won't come off with the vinegar and water solution, you can try using a paste made of baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the residue and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing.

4. Can I use other cleaning products on my casserole stone?

It is not recommended to use other cleaning products on your casserole stone, as they may be too harsh and can damage the stone. Stick to using natural cleaning solutions like vinegar and baking soda.

5. How often should I clean my casserole stone?

It is recommended to clean your casserole stone after each use. This will prevent any food or residue from building up on the stone and affecting the taste of your dishes. If soap has been used, make sure to thoroughly rinse and dry the stone before using it again.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ddcook
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
D_Patel
Replies
Views
GeorgiaPeach
  • Vicks
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies