• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Rant Over: Dealing with Unhappy Customers

In summary, the customer is complaining about the shipping fee and company policy. The customer's wife is sending a check for the difference.
jbdowd0798
Gold Member
UGH!!!!!!!! Why do customers think WE should have to pay the shipping for the customer. I tried explaining thats company policy and that its just like if we ordered off Amazon that you'd have to pay shipping. He didn't think it was quite right and he wants to return the items (outside order that didn't have shipping and tax included when it was given to me and it was just easier to order the two items and take care of the rest after I submitted the order). So for the $20 he wanted we are returning the items. So I think I'm going to just write him a check and use the items myself!!!! It was bamboo specialty set and something else.

End rant! lol :) Thanks. I feel better.

It's a funny thing about S&H charges! I think that if they added the price into the items and just increased the prices-offering FREE shipping-they would actually accept that better (the customers that is).
Glad you feel better!

Tell him it could be worse....in Alaska we have 15% + $2 shipping :(

In my experience there's nothing you can say to people like that. As we say here--bless and release.

I would just write him a check like you said and keep the items. If it's past the 30 days, it's going to cost you to return them.

That always baffles me. Especially in this day of online ordering. Why would someone think that they would not have to pay for shipping when they're ordering from a company that doesn't have brick & mortar stores?

But like Rae said: Bless & Release!

thanks. the order came in 2 weeks ago so its still within the 30days so thats not a proble but the products will be used so not going to return them. Come to find out from the person who collected the order, the guy is cheap cheap cheap!

Yes Rae I will bless and release! :)

I had an outside order from my last show that refused to pay tax on shipping! I told her it was the state and not PC, she actually called the tax office or something and got told that yes shipping is taxable she still didn't pay it my host gave it to me, it was a whopping total of .47!!!!! I'm trying to bless and release..... lol

Offer 'em S&H Stamps.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/S%26Hstamp.gif

jbdowd0798 said:
thanks. the order came in 2 weeks ago so its still within the 30days so thats not a proble but the products will be used so not going to return them. Come to find out from the person who collected the order, the guy is cheap cheap cheap!

Yes Rae I will bless and release! :)

They used them then decided to gripe about it!?!?! :eek:

Yea - it's funny how cheap some people are. I have a women who was guest at a show awhile back - tells me she is cheap and always emails me after she receives my monthly email newsletters. She always tells me to let her know if I know of anyone who wants to order from the outlet. She wants to order 4 items but doesn't want to pay shipping. Ever! I keep telling her to find some friends to split s&h with - but she thinks I should just mention the outlet at my shows and then tag her order on to someone elses. The nerve! I just kind of laugh now when I get her emails - she tells me she's a bargain hunter and can find better deals elsewhere. Well then how about doing that and stop emailing me?:)

pamperedlinda said:
They used them then decided to gripe about it!?!?! :eek:

No the items weren't used, I can use them.

Okay so UPDATE- The WIFE just called me, she loves PC and told me that since her husband wrote it out he didn't know and he's a dummy! HA HA HA So she's sending me the check for the difference and she apologized!! Of course as she said she's ordered enough PC over the years that she was fine with it!!

What a crazy world we live it!

I am wondering what he would have said if it had been past the 30 days and he had to pay to ship them back himself!! That really would have been a good one!
As for the lady wanting 4 things on the outlet, you did explain that the items out there do not always stay out there and what she wants could be gone if she waits too long. Her loss!

My new recruit had a USPS employee at her first show and she gave us both a hard time about the shipping fee and why we don't use USPS to support our communities, etc. I didn't tell her what I really think about that plan ROFL

Sorry this guy gave you such a hard time. I bet his wife is used to it :)

leslieprichett said:
Tell him it could be worse....in Alaska we have 15% + $2 shipping :(

Just curious how do the guest take that? Do they understand or do they complain?

My customers pay direct shipping and then have to wait 4-9 weeks for Parcel Post because Priority mail is to expensive for PC to use. I'd have had a really hard time not telling your fussy customer to suck it up & walk it off. ;)

When I talk about the host benefits and mention free shipping for the host I say "and you all get a deal too. PC only charges you $4.25 if you want it shipped to <host's> home. When I send out host packets it costs me $4.90 for 3 catalogs, some flyers & invitaitons. You can buy everything in the book and it's just $4.25 for shipping." Since I started saying that I don't get any whining. I know that some outside orders are combined but that's on them and the host.

MLinAZ said:
My new recruit had a USPS employee at her first show and she gave us both a hard time about the shipping fee and why we don't use USPS to support our communities, etc. I didn't tell her what I really think about that plan ROFL

Sorry this guy gave you such a hard time. I bet his wife is used to it :)

BethCooks4U said:
When I talk about the host benefits and mention free shipping for the host I say "and you all get a deal too. PC only charges you $4.25 if you want it shipped to <host's> home. When I send out host packets it costs me $4.90 for 3 catalogs, some flyers & invitaitons. You can buy everything in the book and it's just $4.25 for shipping." Since I started saying that I don't get any whining. I know that some outside orders are combined but that's on them and the host.

As if it machines and robots who work for FedEx? Our using them is also helping families and communities. Unless she is referring to something I haven't realized. ;)

Beth, I love saying that, too! It helps people to appreciate how much shipping really could cost. I went to a Tupperware party and the cost of shipping was 10% of your product total, with a minimum fee of $4.50. So I feel great telling people that as guests of a show, they get a nice deal on shipping, too.

Side note, just in case you weren't aware of it, but for host packets, you can pick up or have delivered for free those Flat Rate envelopes from the USPS. Then print out the postage online and get it for 10 cents cheaper. Plus it comes with free delivery confirmation. :D

babywings76 said:
As if it machines and robots who work for FedEx? Our using them is also helping families and communities. Unless she is referring to something I haven't realized. ;)

Beth, I love saying that, too! It helps people to appreciate how much shipping really could cost. I went to a Tupperware party and the cost of shipping was 10% of your product total, with a minimum fee of $4.50. So I feel great telling people that as guests of a show, they get a nice deal on shipping, too.

Side note, just in case you weren't aware of it, but for host packets, you can pick up or have delivered for free those Flat Rate envelopes from the USPS. Then print out the postage online and get it for 10 cents cheaper. Plus it comes with free delivery confirmation. :D

Yeah, I knew that but I still say $4.90 because that's true if you go into the PO and I want the impact. I didn't know TW was $4.50 minimum and then up. Good to know - and their things are so light compared to ours!

PartyLite is 10% no matter what. Light weight or heavy. Hosts pay too!

littlemaisyPC said:
Just curious how do the guest take that? Do they understand or do they complain?

I have found that most of my guests are understanding. We have a very longstanding joke in Alaska about how we pay out the you know what when it comes to S&H. We have also had companies state that they cannot ship to Alaska because we "are not part of the U.S." What they usually mean is that we are not part of the contiguous U.S. Even if the product is shipped via the United States Postal Service...they still cannot ship it here.:rolleyes:

When I explain about the S&H I usually say something like "S&H is 15%+$2. Yeah, it does cost a bit to ship the products here but, the advantage is we get them pretty quickly. When the order is approved by home office, your host should receive it within a couple days." There has been a couple times that the shipment arrives before I get the email that it has shipped!

BethCooks4U said:

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Was just gonna say the same thing! ;)

OH I GOTTA SHARE THIS ONE AS IT IS SO FUNNY!!! When I was going over the order form at a show in March, I mentioned the $4.25 S&H. I got asked why it came before the tax line? I explained that the state of Wisconsin taxes shipping. This lady says to the group to the host, who apparently doe snot like this lady but invited her anyway and I will explain why in a bit, "I just don't under stand why we have to pay that much to have it shipped to you when it should be sent to us for that amount. And I will never understand why we need to pay tax on it either. The post office does not do that." My host looks her right in the eye and simply says to her, "If you do not want to pay that or the tax, I am sure John will e-mail you the pictures for free." You could have heard a pin drop on carpeting! 3 other ladies and I actually had to leave the room, walk out the back door. We stood the a second and then we almost lost it laughing! The reason Mary invited her was that she knew this lady would complain about something or everything. But once she is "straightened out", she places these huge orders. She did! $92 worth. I never heard anything about the s&h or tax at check out.

:eek: OMG that is so FUNNY!!!

pampered1224 said:
OH I GOTTA SHARE THIS ONE AS IT IS SO FUNNY!!! When I was going over the order form at a show in March, I mentioned the $4.25 S&H. I got asked why it came before the tax line? I explained that the state of Wisconsin taxes shipping. This lady says to the group to the host, who apparently doe snot like this lady but invited her anyway and I will explain why in a bit, "I just don't under stand why we have to pay that much to have it shipped to you when it should be sent to us for that amount. And I will never understand why we need to pay tax on it either. The post office does not do that." My host looks her right in the eye and simply says to her, "If you do not want to pay that or the tax, I am sure John will e-mail you the pictures for free." You could have heard a pin drop on carpeting! 3 other ladies and I actually had to leave the room, walk out the back door. We stood the a second and then we almost lost it laughing! The reason Mary invited her was that she knew this lady would complain about something or everything. But once she is "straightened out", she places these huge orders. She did! $92 worth. I never heard anything about the s&h or tax at check out.

Umm, she does realize that postage IS a tax, doesn't she?!

pampered1224 said:

Where else could she order $92 and have it cost only $4.25 (plus tax!) to ship?

pampered1224 said:

That is hilarious!

I always tell my guest that when Suzy host order's the entire catalog at a discount for having her show, she doesn't have to pay anything for s/h and you only have to pay $4.25 for the entire catalog. Not a bad deal, huh? That usually get's a laugh, but it tells everyone what they have to pay for shipping up front.

I have been lucky that I haven't had anyone complain about s/h, yet. :D

Related to Rant Over: Dealing with Unhappy Customers

What is the best way to handle an unhappy customer?

The best way to handle an unhappy customer is to listen to their concerns and address them in a calm and professional manner. Let them know that their satisfaction is important to you and offer a solution or compensation if necessary.

How can I prevent unhappy customers in the first place?

The best way to prevent unhappy customers is to provide quality products and services, communicate clearly and effectively, and handle any issues or complaints promptly and effectively.

Should I apologize to an unhappy customer, even if it wasn't my fault?

Yes, it is always important to apologize to an unhappy customer, even if the issue was not directly your fault. This shows that you value their experience and are willing to take responsibility for finding a solution.

How should I respond to negative reviews or complaints on social media?

The best way to respond to negative reviews or complaints on social media is to acknowledge the issue, apologize, and offer to resolve the issue privately. It is important to remain professional and avoid getting defensive.

What should I do if a customer becomes verbally abusive or aggressive?

If a customer becomes verbally abusive or aggressive, it is important to remain calm and professional. Let them know that such behavior is not acceptable and offer to continue the conversation once they have calmed down. If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to involve a manager or seek assistance from security.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefCKHall
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefKrisB
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • chezshelly