• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Customer Unhappy With Having to Ship Product Back Herself

In summary, the customer is unhappy because they received a broken wine bottle opener and were told that they would only be covered if the opener failed in the first 30 days. The customer is asking for suggestions on how to reply to the email.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
I just got the following unhappy email from a customer:
I just want to let you know about my conversation with PC customer service.

I told them about the failure of the wine bottle opener, that because it is a poor design, it would fail again if the broken part were replaced. I suggested that I would be interested in ordering other merchandise (and additional payment) instead of a refund. They were willing to do so. I was told to send back the opener – on which there is a 3 year warranty – at my expense. I reminded them of the warranty. I was told that they would only cover shipping if it failed in the first 30 days!
Then why do a 3 year warranty??
I will send them their useless opener, get my refund and likely never buy from Pampered chef again.

Ouch... I'm not sure how to reply to this one. But when I do a return to a store, I am of course required to bring the item back myself - I don't expect the store to come and pick it up for me!

Any suggestions? Or do I just write off this customer - I'm not sure I can do anything to make her happy anyway, except to offer to send the item back for her, but I don't think that'll help, and I've sent too many items back for customers in the last year already, which is getting way too costly.

In the rare instance that someone balks at this I remind them that if they had ordered any other product that had to be shipped to them they'd have to pay to ship it back even in the first 30 days.

It's a tough situation. You can refer her to the back of the sales receipt that spells our return policy out for her. If it only had a 30 day warranty, she'd be out the entire cost. I know personally, I've bought things on-line, paid for shipping and had to return them for various reasons and NO MATTER how long I'd had them, had to pay to send them back. It's common practice, so it shouldn't be a big shocker to her.

It's going to cost very little to send back the opener, I'd do it for her just to help smooth the issue over. Great customer service always benefits you in the end!! Plus, it's a tax right-off. Let her know you'll do it for her but are making an exception and in the future she'd be responsible for any returns. Or instead you could offer her a discount on her next purchase...Just a thought.

I had an upset customer once who seemed impossible to please and went WAY out of my way to make it right. I figured she was a goner (and was happy to part ways) but to my surprise when I held a fundraiser for a family in need, she was one of the 1st to place an order.

Put yourself in her shoes and do what you'd want done. Good luck.

People forget that if they had a warranty with any OTHER product- even ones bought at retail stores...if you have to send it back (if they'll even TAKE IT BACK! most just repair it and send it back to you or tell you where to get it fixed....not offer a refund, etc!), you'd still have to pay shipping.She can send it back for probably less than $2 since it is so lightweight.

I learned early on to tell all my customers at the show and during out of the box calls about it being free to return within 30 days, but at their cost after the 20 days. This way they are never going to be shocked at having to pay for a return.

Which doesn't help you NOW, but might in the future!

Just curious, is this the only thing she ordered? If so, she might not have a very good impression of PC - the wine opener is not the most stellar product in the catalog.

Thanks for all the advice - I'm going to have to be more deliberate about explaining our return policy, and explaining how generous it is for PC to cover return shipping costs within the first 30 days.
But I will try my best in this case to pacify this customer - perhaps she will go from severely unhappy to at least neutral!
This is what I'm thinking of writing back:
Thanks for your email – I’m sorry this has been so difficult for you!
I don’t normally do this, but if it would help in this particular situation, I can send the opener back for you and cover the expense myself. I would just need you to drop it off at my place.
Let me know what you decide! :)
Hopefully this will help! Thanks for your advice, Barb!

I think that sounds great. You're providing great customer service and it will come back to you in the end.

I think that if you do this that you might make the customer happy for the current situation, but she might expect this of you in the future. I would explain to her the warranty, the return policy 30 days pc covers shipping, but beyond that it is at the expense of the customer. The suppliers are the ones that really set if the product has to be returned to pc or not. Also, I would explain to her that if she bought the product at walmart or target and it was defective she would have to drive to the store to return/exchange and depending on the item, she might have to deal with the manufacturer directly. I would try to find a way to be politically correct with her....I would definitely try to get her on the phone so that you can feel the vibe from her voice...Last resort, I would send it back at your expense. In 3 years I have never sent a product back for a customer. I would if it was a really good customer, but the policy is set to help protect the cost of our items, to protect the consumer, the consultant and the company. I wish you luck.

Ok... I tried, but this is one customer who refuses to be satisfied. Here's her email back to me after I sent her the previous email:
Thank you Lorraine but I will send it back myself. This is not your problem, it is a problem with the company. The cost is not the issue either. It is the principle. I believe this is a business integrity issue. And, of course, I have a choice re doing business with the company in the future. I also can provide negative advertising when anyone approaches me about attending a PC event in the future. As someone who has consulted with companies re quality and customer service in the past, I can assure the company, the latter is very powerful. Again, this is not a problem I have with you. I provide this for your information.
In truth, I feel quite frustrated and upset myself right now, especially with her comment about providing negative advertising.
I'm praying that God will help me to react in love, not in anger.
I do feel I should write her back though and explain how generous PC's return policy truly is in comparison to other companies, so that she is aware that her slander is unjustified.

Isn't it good that 99% of our customers are wonderful, understanding people? I've had others send back much costlier items that didn't complain one bit about the shipping cost, but were thankful that their item would be replaced.

Hopefully she provides the people that she is "providing negative advertising" to the reason why she is not happy..so they realize that they was not making her happy..you tried..Bless and Release.

I have to agree with the above posting "bless and release". Try not to get sucked into her negativity. I think she has been very rude, and you have done nothing but try to please her. Some people are just not very thoughtful of what they are saying sometimes, I think.

Is she normally this negative?
Sounds like she is just looking for a reason to be mad. If so, others will see it, and her "negative advertisement" for her just being who she is, and not something actually against you and PC.

Bless & Release. You've done all you can. Once she cools off, she'll realize she was "over the top" on this one--hopefully. Plus, if she has friends and complains about PC they prob. already know how she is and will take it with a grain of salt. I have an x-friend who is always mad about something and is nasty to everyone if it isn't done her way. Everyone knew that's how she was, so a complaint from her meant nothing to the rest of us. You've done nothing wrong. Move on to your other clients who do appreciate you.

I would write her back it the most polite way i can and explain the returns shipping and all information. I would go into other internet based companies that they even charge restocking fees and stuff just to make your life a hassle. I would compare it to walmart and whatever you can think of.

I had an oxo brand gadget braking on me. It has been a few years old now and they hae replaced it to me but i had to send it back. They did not pay for the shipping back. I had to.

Just get your thoughts together put in nice paragraphs, like first second third and finally. Then tell her that you wish her the best day and good bye. Bless and release.

She might have some issues that she doesn't want to deal with and puts the emphasis on this issue.
Also it could be that she is just saying but will not say anything. If you explain to her like above it might make her realize that she's not looking at it right.
Or if she's just like that and she will do bad advertising to PC than it is about her and not about the company. I had some people in the last 3-4 years coming by my booth saying how much they hate PC. After i was talking to them trying to figure out the issue i quickly realized that the problem was them and not the products or the company. I even had a mom buying from me while daughter was complaining.HAHAHA

So do not take it personally, she is like that.

"as someone who has consulted with companies" in the past......sounds like a little ego-trip to me. And if she HAD worked with other companies, she'd know policies vary far and wide- usually NOT in the customer's favor when it comes to returns costing the consumer zilch.Let it go. Put a note in her contact file so you are cautious of this customer in the future (or if someone says "So and so said"...) and move on to the next person who DOES appreciate what we have to offer.And while you are at it- go see a movie or get a milkshake- do something fun to cleanse yourself of her negative vibe...because that's the worst feeling! I hate it when people do that to me. I have one lady I deal with every week in our Scouts pack, and I'm slowly working towards at least neutral ground. She was having a bad couple of weeks or something and now it's not AS bad. But I just have to move away from it...so I know how that feels. Do something fun to forget! :D

1. Why do I have to ship the product back myself?

As stated in our return policy, customers are responsible for shipping the product back to us in the case of a return or exchange. This helps us keep our prices low and provide quality products to our customers.

2. Can I get a refund for the shipping costs?

Unfortunately, we are unable to refund shipping costs as it is stated in our return policy that customers are responsible for shipping the product back to us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

3. How long will it take for my replacement product to arrive?

Once we receive the product you shipped back to us, it typically takes 3-5 business days for us to process the return and ship out a replacement product. However, this may vary depending on your location and shipping method.

4. Can I exchange the product for a different one?

Yes, you can exchange the product for a different one as long as it is within our return policy timeframe and the product is in its original condition. Please contact our customer service team for assistance with the exchange process.

5. What if the product I received is damaged or defective?

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please contact our customer service team and provide photos of the damaged or defective product. We will work with you to find a solution, which may include a replacement or a refund.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • mrshamel3808
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • crystalscookingnow