• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Returns: Should You Cover Shipping for Dissatisfied Customers?

In summary, the host told me that she wants to return what she purchased at the last show she attended. She told me that has no use for the products - she wants her money back. It has been 60 days since she received the products, so in order to get a refund she or I would have to pay shipping. The two
lkspeir
I had a show this past Saturday - the host tells me after the show that she wants to return what she purchased at the last show she attended. She told me that has no use for the products - she wants her money back. (She said it just like that) It has been 60 days since she received the products, so in order to get a refund she or I would have to pay shipping. The two items are Quick Stir Pitcher and the Egg Slicer Plus. The sales from her show were just $300, she refused to pay for all the ingredients, and I had already offered her a free wisk when she booked the show. I don't know why she would have purchased something that she has no use for.

Would you pay the shipping to send it all back? Or would you suggest that she pay for the shipping? Would you refund her out of your own pocket?

Personally, I wouldn't pay to ship it back. Sorry if that's harsh but if she knew she had no use for the products, she probably had determined that within the 30 days after she received it. She should have brought it up then and it could have been taken care of for her. Just my opinion!:eek:

I agree completely with Becky.

I wouldn't pay the shipping back. You could be setting yourself up for the future. What is she going to do when she doesn't like something next time? Call you again! I always make a point of letting people know at my shows that PC has such great products and wants their customers to be happy that they'll pick up any items you want to return if you let them know within 30 days of the show (I give from the show date rather than received because I want to make sure they call sooner rather than later).

I think this is a great benefit. Most mail order companies make you pay shipping both ways regardless of when you return!

Michele

pamperedbecky said:
Personally, I wouldn't pay to ship it back. Sorry if that's harsh but if she knew she had no use for the products, she probably had determined that within the 30 days after she received it. She should have brought it up then and it could have been taken care of for her. Just my opinion!:eek:

Lisa,

I'm with Becky. Don't you dare pay the shipping! (So I'm not afraid to be harsh. :) ) P-Chef makes it easy for her to resolve the problem ON HER OWN. Just be sure she has a receipt (you could send her a new one with the return policy highlighted) and understands what she needs to do to get her money.

Thank you all. I'm glad you all see it the way I do. There is somewhat of a language barrier, and I think she has tried to take advantage of that. She's given me a hard time on another occassion as well.She's on her own - I'll provide her with the number she can call. Thank you again.

Don't do it!!Some people are so cheap and rude! They like to take advantage of someone who is trying to be nice and helpful.

Just let her know that it has been past 60 days since she would have been able to have it shipped back to PC free. There is only so much we can do as consultants to please people. We will never be able to please everyone. It seems odd to wait two months and then decide what you ordered is not what you need. I have a feeling she might be in the need for the money.

You did what you were suppose to do. I don't believe in burning bridges but sometimes I don't mind lighting the fire for some relationships...:p

Debbie

I had a catty host do me that way. She booked off a fundraiser. I explained that the get the book to look item that she must have at least $150 in sales. She turned in her measlely $50 order and expected me to give her the $15 off her order (She of course picked the FREE SHOW egg!) PLUS wanted me to ship back her knife and give her the credit on her order. Well, I told her I'd ship back the item, but I couldn't give her credit. Well, when speaking with my director about it, she said that if it was an item that I wanted to keep, I could give her the credit and enter it as ON ACCOUNT payment in PP and list it as an expenses. So I did that since I had miscalculated her total anyway. I only charged her $5 for her US&G instead of the $30 is was supposed to. Well, I called her and left her a message on both her home phone and cell letting her know that I had miscalculated and that I could use the money from the knife's return to pay for the difference. She never called back. After 2 weeks I submitted the order, because one of the ladies needed the stuff by a certain day since she would be in town. Otherwise I would have to ship it to her. So when the day comes to deliver the order, the host was upset not only with the fact that it took so long, but also with the fact that I had no money to give her. I finally just got upset and told her that I do Pampered Chef to make a living and provide for my family and that I had already given her $15 off her order when she didn't deserve it since the order wasn't more that $150! She proceeded to tell me that she'd never had such trouble out of a show before and that she'd not be doing business with me anymore. I said fine by me. That she and her daughter both had expected to receive way too much from me in regards to donations from the fundraiser and also from a show that NEVER should have cost me so much money and that if I lost their business that I wasn't going to be too upset about it. I apologized for the misunderstanding and left.

I sometimes have the problem with being TOO nice and accommadating(sp?). Don't make the same mistakes that I made.

re:returns
lkspeir said:
I had a show this past Saturday - the host tells me after the show that she wants to return what she purchased at the last show she attended. She told me that has no use for the products - she wants her money back. (She said it just like that) It has been 60 days since she received the products, so in order to get a refund she or I would have to pay shipping. The two items are Quick Stir Pitcher and the Egg Slicer Plus. The sales from her show were just $300, she refused to pay for all the ingredients, and I had already offered her a free wisk when she booked the show. I don't know why she would have purchased something that she has no use for.

Would you pay the shipping to send it all back? Or would you suggest that she pay for the shipping? Would you refund her out of your own pocket?

I had a customer do that as well, I called PC HO and they will send UPS to the customer's house and pick up the shipment and send back to PC and they'll either adjust your sales or better yet if you're interested in the products they'll ship to you. I couldn't believe it~!!~ THIS CO IS GREAT!~

The solution center told me last night since it had been more than 30 days that I was on my own to send it back or the customer would have to at their own expense. Yes, they would send UPS after it if it had been less than 30 days.

I definitely wouldn't pay for the shipping. It's not your fault she waited so long. I would though suggest that if she doesn't want to pay the return shipping that she could use the items as gifts for friends/family. The holidays are not too far away. Or offer to give her a list of ideas for each product, maybe she just doesn't realize what she could be using them for.

If this customer were someone who was working with you and not against you, I'd probably advise paying the shipping back as a gesture of good faith. BUT, since this is not the case, paying the shipping is simply out of the question. I'd suggest getting the reference code from HO and giving her the receipt with the information on it so there is no problem with language barrier going forward!

Mary

DebbieSAChef said:
Some people are so cheap and rude! They like to take advantage of someone who is trying to be nice and helpful.

Just let her know that it has been past 60 days since she would have been able to have it shipped back to PC free. There is only so much we can do as consultants to please people. We will never be able to please everyone. It seems odd to wait two months and then decide what you ordered is not what you need. I have a feeling she might be in the need for the money.

You did what you were suppose to do. I don't believe in burning bridges but sometimes I don't mind lighting the fire for some relationships...:p

Debbie

I fully agree with Debbie. DO NOT EVEN PAY A SINGLE CENT ON S/H for the host if it has been more than 30 days. I explained my situation to HO and was told not to hold accountability for it. It is in PRINT on the back of the receipt that the customer have to pay for the S/H after 30 days period for any products adjustment.

I had a host who not only being rude and hash in words, she called all her 3friends that had booked a show through her party to cancel their bookings. She was upset that I can't handle a problem as a consultant. She wanted the replacement to come on certain time and I can't promise her that. Then she said she will never order any PC products due to poor customer service. She herself is a consultant from other co.(promoting "Adult Toys") and brag about her show is over $6000 and over and not like tiny weeny show like mine. Anyway, I took her off my list and never will I be bothered with her again. I did my best and what do I get? A mean and rude hostess. I truly stand behind our PC products and am proud of it.

I agree, I wouldn't pay for shipping.

Another idea tho, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED and the products are NIB, offer to purchase them... (possibly at a discount) and you can use them for recruiting, booking, fairs, etc. gift.

Jaye

our return policyused to have PRINTED on the back of the order form "OUR CONSULTANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ACCEPT GOODS for returns or exchanges" Now the instructions just refer to the customer doing it all. I would offer to call and obtain the reference number and mail another copy of her receipt to her, along with a mailing label to the company. It shows we are trying to accomodate and sometimes that is just enough to create a positive partnership, rather than any negativity. Then she can do her part and make the return!

thepamperedmom said:
our return policyused to have PRINTED on the back of the order form "OUR CONSULTANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ACCEPT GOODS for returns or exchanges" Now the instructions just refer to the customer doing it all. I would offer to call and obtain the reference number and mail another copy of her receipt to her, along with a mailing label to the company. It shows we are trying to accomodate and sometimes that is just enough to create a positive partnership, rather than any negativity. Then she can do her part and make the return!

I would do the same. Call or email the solution center and get the ball rolling, and then let her do the physical return and pay for it. I think if we have the contact with the HO, it also protects our company from earning a bad image (there have been lots of bad experiences on the phone in the past year with HO staff) and then she feels like you are helping her as well.

I just did this for a host who had a July show. She finally emailed me to let me know her Food Chopper is broken, that it broke the first time she used it. She admitted she should have contacted me sooner, so I submitted the adjustment and forwarded the info to her so she can return it. She had no problems with that.

Related to Dealing with Returns: Should You Cover Shipping for Dissatisfied Customers?

What is "What Would You Do????"

"What Would You Do????" is a popular game, similar to the game "Would You Rather?" It involves players choosing between two scenarios and deciding what they would do in each situation.

How do you play "What Would You Do????"

To play "What Would You Do????" you will need at least two players. One player will read a scenario and offer two possible options. The other players must then choose which option they would pick and explain why.

Can children play "What Would You Do????"

Yes, "What Would You Do????" is appropriate for children as long as the scenarios are age-appropriate and the game is supervised by an adult.

Are there any official rules for "What Would You Do????"

There are no official rules for "What Would You Do????" as it is a casual game where players can make their own rules. However, it is important to respect everyone's opinions and to keep the scenarios appropriate for all players.

What are some examples of scenarios in "What Would You Do????"

Some examples of scenarios in "What Would You Do????" could be "Would you rather have the ability to fly or be invisible?" or "Would you rather have a pet unicorn or a pet dragon?" The possibilities are endless and can be tailored to the interests and age group of the players.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • augmommychef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • mrshamel3808