• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question About Our Products and a Restaurant

In summary, Trish thinks using SA dishes in a restaurant might be too pricey and that stainless steel cookware is the best option. She also thinks that non-stick cookware isn't practical for a restaurant, and that personal preferences (like the resistance to scratches) would be a major factor in what dishes to use.
mheat923
My dad and I are looking at opening a restaurant in the next 2 years and I would love to get opinions on using SA for serving customers etc...

I know we will use stones and cookware b/c that all my dad and I cook on now! but I want to start planning now ...maybe even buying things in anticipation of the big event....

I think SA would be great - and certainly more upscale than using regular restaurant-type dishes.

The only thing you need to realize is using it in a "professional" environment voids the warranty. Other than that, I think it would look fabulous!

Just a suggestionI know that here where I live there is a place called Old Tyme Pottery. They have a lot of the white simple addition type pieces. They are not Pampered Chef, but they do look a lot like them. If I were going to be putting them in my own home, I would get pampered chef, but for a restaurant, I would go the cheaper route. Most of Old Tyme Pottery's white look-a-likes are really really cheap, especailly if you are going to need a lot of them.

Hey, I just realized that your info says you live in the gulf. I know there is an Old Tyme Pottery in Foley. You may check there. I live her near Huntsville and we've got the pottery.

Pier 1 also has some similar stuff. However, if you are a consultant, I think I would be great for a customer to like the great quality of the SA dishes, pick them up and see they are Pampered Chef...

Oh, and they are really heavy....

I am familiar with old time pottery hubby did a stint there for 6 months! many moons ago but that is a thought if we want to go cheaper route.Plans are for a nice more upscale style establishment to cater towards the retirees and our winter guests, with some thought to having a separate dining area for a family atmosphere. Of course with the family side I would want to go cheaper....lol I have 3 kids and my SA pieces are locked up where they can't touch them!

The last china made in the United States comes from the Homer Laughlin Co in Chester, WV and Hall China, across the Ohio River from Homer in East Liverpool, Ohio. They will make custom china for you, and they have a pretty wide open catalog.

Also, I find that the SA dishes, when used for everyday, tend to get scratches on them from knives, forks, etc., dragging. I have a customer who loves the looks of these dishes, and bought them for everyday use, but hates that they are now scratched, and she can't get the scratches out.

There may be a way to get the scratches out, but I haven't heard any that actually worked for her.

Just a thought. Maybe start using some everyday in your home and see what happens before investing in that many for a restaurant.

Depending on your restaurant, SA might be too pricey for you. You will need a ton of dishes and that will take a large chunk out of your budget. The restaurant supply companies, food distributors, etc will be able to give you a better price. Plus every time you hear a tray crash, you will cry because another piece, or pieces of SA have been destoyed!

As for cookware, I don't know any places that use non stick cookware in their kitchens. Not saying that it can't be or isn't done, but cookware goes in the dishwasher, at least as much as it can. Plus, how are you ever going to get the kitchen staff to use non metal utensils? Our new stainless is good, but I wouldn't use that in a commercial kitchen. We just use the regular stuff from the supply house, or our Sysco rep will bring in something if I need it.

Talk to other restaurant owners about what they use. You have time so you can plan. Good luck and keep us all posted.

The restaurants my husband worked in always used Stainless Steel Cookware, for its durability.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Trish1953 said:
The restaurants my husband worked in always used Stainless Steel Cookware, for its durability.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

That's interseting because I think I just read that our executive set is 3 times stronger than stainless steel? Maybe I'm mistaken. Where's Ann on this one?

Did I hear my name? <giggle>I don't think the durability in question is a function of strength, but of resistance to scratching and ease of cleanup/sanitization. At least for a restaurant, it would be. This is one area where I plead ignorance, the closest thing to I restaurant I've worked in being a Hardee's (and they have far different requirements for cookware than a "real" restaurant).

you mean Hardee's isn't a home cooked meal?:cry: ok sorry I been up all night!

Now first my dad's recipes call for lots of stockpots even when cooking for 2....the man has no concept of a small meal:rolleyes:

The tips on SA after long term use give me something to think about

KG I plan to look at those companies when I have had some sleep. Thanks for letting me know about them.

Cooking school may be in my future so who know what all they teach me there!

the last restaurant I managed used the cheapest "tin" pots and I swore I would never use anything cheap like that if I had to replace it every 6 months.

Now I think its time to gt the kids up...first day of school today..maybe that's why I didn't sleep I was too excited:D

I have some SA pieces that I have used a lot for home use and they do have lots of scratches on them. They aren't near as pretty as they were. I haven't really tried to get the scratches out since we will just scratch them up even more. I don't think I would want to put that much money into the SA pieces for a restaurant for that reason.

I don't have anything additional about the serving plates...sounds like that will come down to more of a cost issue. You could use PC SA around the restaurant as decoration, though!!

As to the scratches on SA peices...try Bar Keepers Friend! It should take the marks right off!

I don't know if SA, as beautiful and durable as it is, is up to the challenge of full-time use in a restaurant. As someone mentioned, non-household use voids the warranty. As well, they are pricey (no ability to buy in bulk like in restaurant equipment stores) and you would need volume.

Perhaps, as someone mentioned, use them for decorations. Or perhaps as "accents" (if you can find something to compliment them) such as for special desserts.

When my parents first managed a restaurant (tied with a motel they owned), their "new" dishes were mess hall stock being liquidated for an AFB closure. They got volume, great price, durable dishes and if there was a huge crash in the kitchen, no one was greatly concerned! :D

Definitely go to a restaurant supply place for the dishes! My every day are from a restaurant supply... I got 12 of everything I wanted, they all match, are durable and I love them. And there's not beating the price!

On another note, my mom uses SA for her everyday. They look awful with all the scratches. When they get to the point where she can't stand it any more, she uses Soft Scrub. It doesn't get out all of the grey marks, but it certainly improves the look!

I agree with Colleen on the dishes. I can't believe your kids start school today! I don't get that break until next week. I am excited though, my oldest starts kindergarten.

Not sure if this would help with the scratches (I plan to try it myself) but the finish on SA is similar to Pfaltzgraff dishes and they sell a special cleaner to get their scratches off. I thought I had a bottle around here but I don't so I'll have to pop over to the outlet. Worth a try?

Use the SA small bowls and caddys on the tables for sweet and low and the sugar packets

the entertaining sets, old black triangles or rectangular platters for candles and centerpieces
maybe the medium bowls for floral arrangements
If you are offering brunches or banquets, or afternoon teas maybe the stands with other plates on them.

Those grey marks on SA and other white dishes aren't really scratches. They're deposits of metal that rubs off from silverware. It can happen to all dishes, but some seem to be more prone to showing them or causing them (probably something related to the finish). You can get them off with Barkeeper's Friend, too.This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

Ann, you know everything! What's the winning lottery number?

Like I'd tell you! Then I'd have to share the jackpot!

mheat923 said:
you mean Hardee's isn't a home cooked meal?:cry: ok sorry I been up all night!

Now first my dad's recipes call for lots of stockpots even when cooking for 2....the man has no concept of a small meal:rolleyes:

The tips on SA after long term use give me something to think about

KG I plan to look at those companies when I have had some sleep. Thanks for letting me know about them.

Cooking school may be in my future so who know what all they teach me there!

the last restaurant I managed used the cheapest "tin" pots and I swore I would never use anything cheap like that if I had to replace it every 6 months.

Now I think its time to gt the kids up...first day of school today..maybe that's why I didn't sleep I was too excited:D

Cooking, or culinary (as they like to call it!) would very possibly benefit you. Depending on the state and county where you live, there are Sanitation Rules and ours depend on completing a sanitation program. When I went to school, we had to have Sanitation before we could do any of the "lab" classes. Plus, I really thought I knew what I was doing before school, but I realized that there was so much more to learn. That and the day I saw the chef debone a whole turkey in under 5 minutes!

Check into your local schools and see what they have to offer. You might even be able to get credit for your life experience.

Oh, and make sure you have plenty of money going into the venture! Good luck and keep us posted.

Tri-state Area
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The last china made in the United States comes from the Homer Laughlin Co in Chester, WV and Hall China, across the Ohio River from Homer in East Liverpool, Ohio. They will make custom china for you, and they have a pretty wide open catalog.

KG, are you from the tri-state area? :thumbup:

chefann said:
Those grey marks on SA and other white dishes aren't really scratches. They're deposits of metal that rubs off from silverware. It can happen to all dishes, but some seem to be more prone to showing them or causing them (probably something related to the finish). You can get them off with Barkeeper's Friend, too.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

Thanks, Ann! Saves me a trip to the outlets....though that might have been fun....I'd rather spend my money on buying some of our Fall Samples!

I will have to try Barkeeper's Friend. I also need to file that tip.

My husband and I own a restaurant. We first bought our dishes from WalMart...trying to start up as low cost as we could. The dishes were beautiful, but chipped easily and within the first 7 months we had to buy new ones. We bought from our grocery distributor. We got some beautiful cream colored platters, plates and bowls....much more expensive than WalMart, but they are wonderful. They retain heat, so the food stays hot longer on the plate.

Our restaurant is very fast paced, and our dishwasher runs constantly all day. Plates are rushed from the table into tubs so someone else can sit down and then the plates are rushed to the dishwasher, washed, and restacked to start over. They are handled a lot...and they are hot coming out of the dishwasher and from the food and the warmer in the window. By the time the food is put on the plate and placed into the window for the server to pick up it gets extremely hot and will burn you. Lots of times plates are dropped.

I say all of that to say that Simple Additions are really expensive to use every day in such a manner. And they are heavy before you put the food on them. Also, not everyone will treat your things as you will. Employees do not have anything invested in your business. If they break something, they really don't care. It seems like we are always fixing or replacing something that an employee broke.

I think you could easily use them for decorations. They are such beautiful pieces. I have a complete set of white and the cranberry accent...can't wait to get the new ones...for special occasions. The white pieces look very elegant on the table at Christmas.

Good luck with your restaurant. I love ours.

Teresa Lynn said:
Use the SA small bowls and caddys on the tables for sweet and low and the sugar packets

the entertaining sets, old black triangles or rectangular platters for candles and centerpieces
maybe the medium bowls for floral arrangements
If you are offering brunches or banquets, or afternoon teas maybe the stands with other plates on them.

I LOVE THESE IDEAS!!!:D This might be the option I look at.....

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions....

Shawnna, thanks for sharing your experience! I maybe talking to you again! My dad has done 2 things all his life owned a restaurant or owned a car dealership and we will have both in 2 years! Can someone say insanity;)
I will be left in charge of restaurant so even though I have waitressed, bar tended and managed all before I was 25 its been almost 10 years since I have done nothing but sit at home! This is very exciting for all of us!

I have to agree with what the others have said about the SA. My family owns a restaurant, and I know we go through a lot of dishes. You need very large quantities, and you end up replacing them frequently because they get broken. Everything in our restaurant moves at a very fast pace, and all of our dishes and cookware gets handled by a lot of people throughout the night. Also, dishwashers are usually young, and can be careless. I've caught kids actually slipping a dish into the trash because it was the last one of the night and they were too lazy to wash it. They break things frequently, not always on purpose, but because they get hot. I don't think SA would work out well. The same with the cookware and utensils. You don't want anything that can't go through the dishwasher, and frequently, since the same pot may be washed and reused a dozen times in a night. There may be ways to work PC into the restaurant though. Hold PC open houses, maybe have a display case for desserts using SA, use the woven baskets to hold things, work PC in in subtle ways throughout the place. When people see something they like, they will ask, I get questions about our decorations or random things like mint dishes all the time. Then when they ask, you can mention your PC business. Good luck!

You could try Sam's Club for some of your dishes.

Also schools (elementary, jr. high, high school) they have a certain amount of money that they are allotted each year to spend on supplies for their cafeteria or they lose it, so of course they buy all new stuff almost every year and they sell off their old stuff. If you could manage to go to one of those sales you can pick up a LOT of stuff dirt cheap, it would only be a year or two old, its restaurant quality, and exactly what you're looking for.

1. Can Pampered Chef products be used in a restaurant setting?

Yes, Pampered Chef products are designed to withstand heavy use and are perfect for use in a restaurant. They are made with high-quality materials and are built to last, making them a great investment for any business.

2. What are the benefits of using Pampered Chef products in a restaurant?

Pampered Chef products are known for their durability, versatility, and efficiency. They can handle high temperatures, are easy to clean, and can be used for a variety of cooking techniques. Using Pampered Chef products can also save time and money in the long run.

3. Are there any specific Pampered Chef products that are recommended for use in a restaurant?

While all Pampered Chef products are suitable for restaurant use, some popular choices include our stoneware, cookware, and kitchen tools. These products are designed to withstand heavy use and can help create delicious and consistent dishes.

4. Can Pampered Chef products be purchased in bulk for a restaurant?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers bulk ordering options for businesses, including restaurants. This can be a great way to save money and ensure that you have enough products to meet the demands of your customers.

5. Is there any specific training or resources available for using Pampered Chef products in a restaurant?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers training and resources for businesses, including restaurants, who use our products. This includes tips and tricks for using our products in a professional setting, as well as recipe ideas and demonstrations. Additionally, our consultants are always available to offer support and answer any questions you may have.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cindycooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • Lauradorable
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Lauradorable
  • kcmckay