• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pina Colada Upside Down Cake???

Yep it was me talking about the canned pineapple! Just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for fresh!! :D
heat123
Silver Member
I want to try this tonight for a family dinner but where do you find unsweetened coconut milk ingredient ? with the condesed milk section ???

And do you think I can just use Rum instead of extract?

I think I also read someone (Marelene maybe) subbing canned pineapple for the real stuff?

TIA!

ps. overall those who have tried this was it as yummy as it sounds?

ETA: Oops noticed it's in the wrong subject area, meant to put in recipes section.

Last edited:
I found this coconut milk in the "ethnic" ailse in the Asian section. I had to ask a worker, and thankfully he knew right where it was. Not typical.

thanks I will check there, if not ask someone!

It's usually near the Thai ingredients. There's a low fat version that is often carried, too. It would make the cake a little less bad for you.

Ok, I found it in the Asian section thanks ladies!

Holy cow batman, how fattening this will be! But yummy I am sure!

So was it as yummy as it sounds?:chef: In the recipe it does say you can sub canned pineapple...

also can be found in the goya section.

I made this yesterday and, to be honest, did not care for it. Maybe I just love the Pineapple Upside Down Cake so much nothing was going to compete with it. Also, not a fan of coconut. What I did enjoy was toasting the coconut in the micro cooker in the microwave. I have never done that before. I used the pineapple in the can since I don't have the corer to remove the core from a fresh pineapple. I was disappointed before I love pina coladas. Maybe the REAL rum would be better than the extract.

Heather.....how was it???
I love coconut, so I think I'll like it!

Well, I only had a nibble of a crumb not a whole bite even (dieting strictly) but everyone who did eat it said it was good! I will definitely recommend this to hosts! And I love coconut so it adds more flavor and texture to it I think and I did use the real rum since I didn't have extract and subbed cannned pineapple instead.

:love: I had it at our meeting yesterday and I LOVED IT!! I could have eaten a second piece!!

I would suggest that you never use low fat coconut milk. It tastes terrible, and I don't think it'd have the right consistency for baking. I love coconut milk. I use it all the time.

AlbertaJes said:
I would suggest that you never use low fat coconut milk. It tastes terrible, and I don't think it'd have the right consistency for baking.

I love coconut milk. I use it all the time.

I was just about to say that. The low fat is not as creamy as the full fat version.

heat123 said:
Well, I only had a nibble of a crumb not a whole bite even (dieting strictly) but everyone who did eat it said it was good! I will definitely recommend this to hosts! And I love coconut so it adds more flavor and texture to it I think and I did use the real rum since I didn't have extract and subbed cannned pineapple instead.

Yep it was me talking about the canned pineapple! Just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for fresh!! :D

1. What ingredients do I need to make Pina Colada Upside Down Cake?

To make Pina Colada Upside Down Cake, you will need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, canned pineapple slices, maraschino cherries, and shredded coconut.

2. Can I substitute anything for the coconut in this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute the shredded coconut with chopped macadamia nuts or crushed graham crackers for a different texture and flavor in your Pina Colada Upside Down Cake.

3. How do I make the cake batter for this recipe?

To make the cake batter, you will need to mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in one bowl and the wet ingredients (butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla) in another. Then, slowly combine the wet and dry mixtures until a smooth batter forms.

4. How do I prevent the cake from sticking to the pan?

To prevent the cake from sticking to the pan, make sure to generously grease the bottom and sides of the pan with butter or cooking spray. You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for easier removal.

5. Can I make this cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make Pina Colada Upside Down Cake ahead of time and store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw it completely before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • brendaivette
  • General Chat
Replies