• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Place Pineapple Slices for Pina Colada Cake

You can mix in any other flavors you want. I just place the pineapple on the bottom of the pan, cut it into thin slices, and then spread the crushed pineapple over the top.
kam
Staff member
I need to make the Pina Colada Upside-Down cake for our cluster meeting tomorrow night and I need help with the pineapple slices. I don't know why I can't seem to picture this:

From the directions:
Cut slices in half. Arrange 22 of the pineapple slices around outer edge of Skillet; place two pineapple slices in center, forming a ring. Place one cherry in center of pineapple ring and additional cherries around outside of ring.

When it says "outer edge" is that standing up the slices along the outside of the cake. Or is the on the bottom of the pan, along the outer edge. When the cake is flipped will the pineapple be on top or on the edge?

If they are supposed to be on the bottom of the pan (top of cake when finished) how should the halves be placed?? Should they be alternated sideways so they make circles ( ) ( ) ( ) or should the round half or cut half be toward the outer edge....

I am not sure I see how 22 half slices would fit.

Any help is apprecited since I only have 1 hr from the time I get home to make this cake!

THANKS!

I made this on Thursday, and there was NO WAY that many slices of pineapple were going to fit. I think I'm particularly frugal when I "peel" my fresh pineapple, because the slices were much larger than those that come in cans. I think the best way to place them is in a pinwheel , with the points at the outer edge of the pan, and all the curves facing the same way: ( ( ( The pineapple will be on the top of the cake when it's turned out, not on the side.

Kathleen: I was stumped too..and still am. I was disappointed it was not demo'd on the DVD for the Spring/Summer recipes.

I use canned pineapple rings. I do not cut them. I place them on the bottom of the pan only & push them as close together as I can to make them fit. Then add the cherries. Turns out fine.

I used canned pineapple, but arranged my pineapple slices like Ann - with one ring in the middle. I could only fit 16 slices around the ring, but that was perfect, because it's supposed to serve 16 - so each slice of cake had it's own slice of pineapple with a cherry in the curve of the pineapple - it looked really pretty.

chefann said:
I made this on Thursday, and there was NO WAY that many slices of pineapple were going to fit. I think I'm particularly frugal when I "peel" my fresh pineapple, because the slices were much larger than those that come in cans.

I think the best way to place them is in a pinwheel , with the points at the outer edge of the pan, and all the curves facing the same way: ( ( ( The pineapple will be on the top of the cake when it's turned out, not on the side.

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying! That is exactly what I'll do.

chefBeckyD said:
I used canned pineapple, but arranged my pineapple slices like Ann - with one ring in the middle. I could only fit 16 slices around the ring, but that was perfect, because it's supposed to serve 16 - so each slice of cake had it's own slice of pineapple with a cherry in the curve of the pineapple - it looked really pretty.

I will be using canned too - good to know that all won't fit. I guess I'll save the small can for something else.

glad to see others are not able to figure this out. I just did them like the regular pineapple upside down cake in the Desserts Cookbook. I still prefer using the tidbits and just cover the whole bottom of the skillet. Much easier to cut, too :)

I made this for Easter and am making it for a show on Friday. I just put them in so they would look attractive, not worrying about the amount. I put half slices around the outer edge and then filled in with whole slcies in the middle. I also used canned. It's yummy!
Jessica

I personally use crushed pineapple. I know it isn't as pretty, but it is so much easier to serve and eat.

1. How many pineapple slices should I use?

We recommend using 8-10 pineapple slices for a 9-inch round cake.

2. Should I use fresh or canned pineapple slices?

Either fresh or canned pineapple slices can be used for this recipe. However, if using canned slices, make sure to drain them well before placing on the cake.

3. How do I prevent the pineapple slices from sinking into the cake batter?

To prevent the pineapple slices from sinking, make sure to pat them dry with a paper towel before placing them on the cake. This will remove excess moisture that can cause them to sink.

4. Can I use frozen pineapple slices for this recipe?

Yes, you can use frozen pineapple slices for this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them completely and drain any excess liquid before placing them on the cake.

5. How far apart should I place the pineapple slices on the cake?

Leave about a 1-inch gap between each pineapple slice to allow for even baking and to prevent the slices from merging together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies