• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear: How to Make Phone Calls to Book Shows

In summary, if you are the customer and you do not want to do a show with the company, the customer care representative will try to call you back. If you do not want to be called back, you should set a goal for yourself and hit level 1-4 at the end of the year.
bbauman07
Gold Member
You think after 2 years I would be comfortable making phone calls but I'm not. Please tell me what you say to your "show leads" went you call them to book a show?

I would just be very excited about the new catalog with lots of new products, and the great host specials we have the next few months. If you're excited, they'll be excited:) Each time you pick up the phone, put a smile on your face, and imagine that each show you book could lead to you making at least $100:D

I had the same fear...In fact there is a sign behind my computer written in red marker that says: It is not their job to call you. It is your job to call them. My director wrote it when I was bellyaching a few years ago.

Now I say "Hi________ ! This is Elaine Ballard. I am the Pampered Chef Consultant from ________'s show. You wanted me to call today. Is this a good time?"

If they say "Yes." I ask "Do you have your calendar near?" or "I bet your friends were excited when you said you were thinking about a show!" Then I'll try to get her to book a show date that works for both of us. I really try not to book too far out because I think they lose their enthusiasm for having a show. But, there are some types of host that plan months in advance and that is the only way they can do it.

If they say "No." I'll say "When is a better time to call you toaday?" Ususally it's only a few minutes or hours.

On Monday I called a potential host 3 times to book a show. She finally asked me to call her at 11:00 yesterday. When I did she booked for March 28th.

If I feel like it is getting old and I have left several messages on the answering machine then my last message will be "Hey________, this is Elaine with the Pampered Chef calling back again about the show you said you wanted to do. This is the only part that I hate about my job is playing phone tag. I am starting to feel like a stalker. If you don't want to do this it is okay. But, could you call me? Because I am starting to feel bad and I am also worried that someting happened to you. My number is_____.

They almost always call me back apologizing. I let them apologize...they wasted my time and frustrated me! This also works for host coaching.

Last edited:
This is so me! I have a show with a tenative date in April,but no date yet. I should call her but I don't want to seem pushy.

Download the Connecting with Customer Care Calls sheet behind CC. That will get you started.

I also think the Customer Care CD you can buy on paperwork is excellent.

Elaine---I wrote down every word of your "this is getting old" message. I love it. I have been trying to find a way to make people realize they need to call me back because they are being rude. This is perfect!

You need to set some kind of goal for yourself - That makes getting on the phone alittle easier What to hit level 1-4 at the end of the year Set a goal and it makes the calls easier.

Have you listened to the CD Bookings from the Pro's? My recuriter gave me the cd... talk about OMG... hit me over the head.....

I've been doing this for almost two years, and I still have a phone fear as well. I've gotten better, but I rarely make cold calls. Now, I'll call my hosts/recruiting/booking leads. But -- I don't really make the customer care, out of the box, etc calls. That's probably what I SHOULD be doing, but I just don't like "bugging" people. I know...we are offering them a service, so it's technically not "bugging", but still....

Have ya'll done a fair of any type?? Ya''ll have done shows where you dont' know a single person in the room other than the host right?? It's the same thing.. when you make calls..... but listen to that CD.. it has some really wonderful tips on it!!

I had a serious P P problem and still get nervous when doing them now. But I came to realize that we are offering them a service, one in which not alot of DS companies do, in calling them to check in on how they are enjoying their products after purchase. I have gotten most if not all positive feedback, no rude responses when I call to check in. I offer a recipe in the end and they seem happy I called. I've even gotten reorders because of my CC calls. I swear it does get easier the more you do it and you can start out small and work your way up! I started with 2 calls a day now I am up to 5-6 and it isn't that big of a deal anymore. I have yet to push bookings with my CC calls but calling just to check in seems to be working well for me. Good luck!

Elaine, thank you so much for sharing. I have made several phone calls in the past 2 years but I feel like I'm flying at the seat of my pants. I was hoping if I could get some people to share what they say I could make my own script.

Most of the script the Pampered chef offers are for newbies, so that hasn't been of much help for me. Maybe I just need to get the creative juices flowing.

bbauman07 said:
Most of the script the Pampered chef offers are for newbies, so that hasn't been of much help for me. Maybe I just need to get the creative juices flowing.

The customer care script they have under the download center is for everyone, not just newbies.

I noticed when I used a script it sounded mechanical when I spoke, so now I just highlight pts. that I wanted to say and that helped alot!

Take what you can use from the script... and apply it to your business.... Those who are really successful at this business are successful becasue they do all the basic steps... over and over again.....
bbauman07 said:
Elaine, thank you so much for sharing. I have made several phone calls in the past 2 years but I feel like I'm flying at the seat of my pants. I was hoping if I could get some people to share what they say I could make my own script.

DebbieJ said:
The customer care script they have under the download center is for everyone, not just newbies.

We must be looking at different scripts.

Thought I would share this.

How to Ask for Bookings

By Francine Fortier, Barrie

Thanks Francine for Contributing to Our Power Team

Why Ask for Bookings?

Asking for bookings is the key to having a thriving consistent business…….and with practice, and the right language…it can be easy and rewarding. What follows are some suggestions for both new consultants…and seasoned consultants. Asking is all about ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS. Remember….that hearing NO….is no problem. If you aren’t hearing NO then you are not asking…..and if you are not asking…the answer is always NO.

Just Getting Started

The key to getting lots of bookings at the start of your business is to use the Welcome Book…specifically pages 6-8. The prospect list is NOT a list of people think will host a show….

it is a list of all the people you know….people that you will contact over the next several weeks.

People can help in three ways:

One Host a show

Two, Attend a show

Three Order something from the Catalogue.

It is so important to start with the first…. use the second and third as a fall back. We strongly encourage new consultants to book their own first show (or two) within a week or two of receiving their kit. Call it a GRAND OPENING show…date it…then start on your list.

Ask Them to Date a Show

when talking to people on your list…you first want to offer/ask them to date a show. If the answer is NO or Later or Maybe…then invite them to the show(s) you are hosting. Ask them to come and see what you are doing…that you need a live audience to cook for…and there is NO pressure…just food and fun. If the answer is NO to that…then go to the third and start collecting outside orders.

Get 5 Orders

Five orders will be a show and it will bring you closer to earning your Gold Chef Hat pin and get you started… (This same system can be used for someone re-starting their business). Your goal is to have 6 or more other shows dated in your calendar by the time you have your first show. Make these calls a priority in your first few weeks after ordering your kit. Continue these calls to maintain a consistent show schedule.

How to ask?? Generate Interest…. then ASK

The key to asking (both new and seasoned consultants) is to generate interest first…then ask. If you start with asking….the answer is NO because they don’t know what is involved with having a show….(or attending a show) so the easiest answer is NO.

Take the time to get people excited…….by sharing your excitement.

Start with these questions:

I’ve started something new and I’m really excited about it……I’m doing live cooking shows in people’s homes…..Have you heard about the Pampered Chef? (if no talk about how fun the shows are…how different from a traditional home “party” …If they have been before then let them know there is a new catalogue and great new products)

I’m really excited about getting started…..and one of the things I need to do is organize my first cooking shows. I was wondering if I could explain what is involved with hosting a Pampered Chef show……and then you can better decide if it sounds like something you might want to consider or not……” (talk about how easy and fun it is to have a show….and how people really enjoy attending shows….and how our host package gives tools to help people get great attendance…..including invitations…..then tell them what a host gets in return for letting you come and cook for their friends)

The Secret Key Is:

The key here is first ask if you can explain how having a show works…and the benefits of having a show. Then the person can better decide whether they want to do it and have time to do it.

Seasoned Consultants

The same principles apply: generate interest…then ask and date. Seasoned consultants are usually making calls to “Leads” – people who have said they would like to host in the future, “Maybes” from their Guest Survey Slips, and “Customer Care Calls” for everyone else. Customer Care calls are the best way to add extra shows and increase your show schedule. The key with customer care…..make it about care but then make sure you ask (offer) as show as well.

Customer Care Calls – or “Cold Calls”

After you have inquired about their product you can turn the conversation by saying something like this………(once you get going use some of the questions below too)

“Something you might want to consider for the future is having your friends over for a fun night of cooking and food…….could I take a minute to explain what is involved with hosting a Pampered Chef show and what our hosts benefits are…… and then you can better decide if it sounds like something you might want to do or not……it is a great way to get friends together and add more product to your kitchen……can I tell you a little more about how it works?”

Calling a LEAD or a Maybe…or a NO

Again the key here is generate interest before you ask. Start the conversation by chatting about their products and the show and the food then move into asking more about hosting with questions like these:

“I know you expressed some interest in possibly having a show of your own in the future……can I explain to you how it works?”

If you were to host a show of your own….is there a month that would work better for you? Would something in the Spring work for you?

“We have some incredible new products and specials that are coming up…..can I take a minute to tell you more about what is available to customers and hosts?”

“Are you curious to find out how you can get tons of our products for FREE and at great discounts?”

“I understand you have said no to hosting a show……may I ask, is that NO not now…or no not ever?”

“I would love to come to your house and cook for your friends……can I tell you how it all works and then you can decide if it is something you would like to do or not.”

“Are you concerned about who would come? Can I tell you how I can help you with that….we have great tools to help our hosts think of who to invite…..and we have great ideas on how to invite and get a great turnout. “

Related to Overcoming Fear: How to Make Phone Calls to Book Shows

1. How can I overcome my fear of making phone calls to book shows?

Making phone calls can be intimidating, but there are a few things you can do to overcome your fear. Start by practicing what you're going to say beforehand, and have a script or outline prepared. Also, remind yourself that the worst that can happen is someone saying no. Finally, take deep breaths and try to relax before making the call.

2. What can I do to make the phone call process easier?

One way to make phone calls less daunting is to break the task into smaller, manageable chunks. Instead of trying to make all your calls in one sitting, set a goal to make a certain number of calls each day. This will make the process feel less overwhelming.

3. How can I keep the conversation flowing during a phone call?

It's important to remember that the person on the other end of the phone is just another human being. Be friendly and personable, and ask open-ended questions to keep the conversation going. Also, be sure to listen actively and take notes so you can follow up on any important details later.

4. What should I do if someone says no to booking a show?

First, don't take it personally. Rejection is a normal part of sales. Instead, thank the person for their time and ask if there is anyone they know who might be interested in hosting a show. You can also offer to follow up with them at a later date if they seem hesitant.

5. How can I track my progress and improve my phone call skills?

Keeping track of your phone calls and their outcomes can help you see where you might need to improve. Use a spreadsheet or a tracking app to record who you called, when, and the result. You can also ask for feedback from your team or manager to see where you can improve your phone call skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jendill
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
wadesgirl