• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot: Need Advice How to Get a Smell Out of the House!

V
vwpamperedchef
Ok, so on Sunday, 3/16 my grandmother had everyone over for Leg of Lamb for dinner (I am not a fan but apparently everyone else eats it). Since I see her most often during the week (taking her to stores etc) I was there on Tues and her house wreaked of something nasty. I said "Gosh Gram it stinks in here" and she told me it was from the cooking on Sunday.

I mean the smell is so bad I could gag.

I went there again today and it was still bad. Of course, I had to enhale it for 45 mins because I had to call her cable company! I gave her some OUST, but I really don't think it will help. She had opened the windows on Tuesday (but she is generally cold and I know they werent opened for long).

She is having Easter and I dont think there is anyway I can go there with the stentch. I would like to help her if I could.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it? (Looking for home rememdies here, nothing to expensive, she is on limited income).

PLEASE HELP ME! It is seriously the worst stench ever!

I've heard Febreeze works great!

Also, have you looked around for the true source of the stench?Did she not take out the garbage, did she spill behind the stove and not catch it? Something else?

We use Febreeze at times. It will mask it, but not take it away.

Sounds like something other than the lamb though after this long, ha! I agree with Janet on checking for other things.

Also, this is gross but I have had it happen. We had a rat or squirrel (I forget which) die in our attic and the smell did not go away until Russell decided to climb up there "just to be sure" when nothing else would work. I have heard of this happening in between the walls too.

janetupnorth said:
Also, have you looked around for the true source of the stench?

Did she not take out the garbage, did she spill behind the stove and not catch it? Something else?

I was just going to post this same thing.:yuck:

When I was a bookstore manager, my receiving clerk thought it would be funny to hide a shrimp behind my desk, and watch me try to find where the stink was coming from....I didn't think it was quite as funny as he did.:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

ChefBeckyD said:
I was just going to post this same thing.:yuck:

When I was a bookstore manager, my receiving clerk thought it would be funny to hide a shrimp behind my desk, and watch me try to find where the stink was coming from....I didn't think it was quite as funny as he did.:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
We thought something had gotten into the garage and died there. It was such a bad smell.:yuck: :yuck: Seemed to be coming from behind the freezer but when I went to move things from the top of the freezer to move it I saw there was a wetness there - I had taken a package of shrimp out and set it there and forgot to put it back in - several days earlier. I almost didn't get it cleaned up without needing a "doggy bag". :yuck: Of course we had a house full of people at the time! Thank goodness it was in the garage and not the house!

Well I am sure as heck NOT going in the attic. That is a job for one of her sons or son in laws. Or my brother. LOL. I've done enough.

It isnt the trash because we take it out for her, in fact, just bought a new trash can today. It is possible it could have leaked in the oven, I will tell her that.

But the smell is just awful. In fact on Tues I said "it smells like something died" and we just laughed because we knew the "leg of lamb" did die.

Oh and that's Gram in my advatar :)

Thanks for the thoughts, keep'em coming!

1) Burn a candle or two where the smell is originating from
2) (I swear this works, don't know why, but my parents used it all the time for ciagarette smell). Put a couple of bowls of white vinegar out in the room--change them once a day for about 2-3 days. For some reason it either absorbes or eliminates the smell). I swear this works

I would put jars of vanilla out or vinegar or a cheap bag of charcoal
or some of each

Nanisu said:
1) Burn a candle or two where the smell is originating from
2) (I swear this works, don't know why, but my parents used it all the time for ciagarette smell). Put a couple of bowls of white vinegar out in the room--change them once a day for about 2-3 days. For some reason it either absorbes or eliminates the smell). I swear this works

Vinegar does work wonders - my DH laughs at my "excessive" use of it - but hey, it's cheap and it works great and is pretty safe!!!!

Nanisu, Thank you! I just called her and told her to do that. (vinegar)

She doesnt think anything died in her attic (typical for her to say that). If it weren't Easter on Sunday, I'd have the guys check. I still might if I am desperate.

some amonia in a small glass bowl placed up high and out of reach will also absorb mystery odors.

I hate it when I know something stinks, but I can't find the source, or figure out where it is coming from. Some of the lamb might have fallen into the pot and pan drawer under the stove...look in there...

Kitchen Diva said:
some amonia in a small glass bowl placed up high and out of reach will also absorb mystery odors.

I hate it when I know something stinks, but I can't find the source, or figure out where it is coming from. Some of the lamb might have fallen into the pot and pan drawer under the stove...look in there...

Ammonia does help some things but because it can be so toxic if combined with bleach, I don't recommend the use of it for grandparents...

Often, people will clean with bleach wipes and if the counter hasn't dried and they spill the ammonia on it...watch out!!!! The fumes are not good!

So, I recommend vinegar because it is pretty harmless...

She tried the vinegar, so we shall see today! Although I probably won't be seeing her til Easter...

when i moved into my newly remodeled apartment it smelled awful. i hated even going in there. i cut a LARGE onion in half and placed it on either sides of the living room. within a day the smell was absorbed into the onion.
just another cheap/homemade option.

Meghan...didn't everything just smell like onion then? LOL

or did it just absorb the other odors...

KellyTheChef said:
Meghan...didn't everything just smell like onion then? LOL

or did it just absorb the other odors...

it smelled like an onion while i had the onion out..
but it was more like when you are making something for dinner with onions in it. and then ALL of the smells were gone once i threw the onions away. it was never an overpowering onion smell. and it was 10000000 times better than whatever smell was in there before. :yuck:

Don't forget about baking soda, too! Remember, it absorbs lots of odors!!

Good luck with this!
Paula

1. What could be causing the bad smell in the house?

The most likely cause of the bad smell is leftover odors from the leg of lamb that was cooked on Sunday. Other possible causes could include poor ventilation or a buildup of bacteria and mold in damp areas.

2. How can I get rid of the bad smell in the house?

First, try opening windows and allowing fresh air to circulate throughout the house. You can also try using natural odor absorbers such as baking soda or activated charcoal. If the smell persists, consider using a commercially available odor eliminator or contacting a professional cleaning service.

3. Will OUST be effective in getting rid of the smell?

It's possible that OUST may help to temporarily mask the smell, but it may not completely eliminate it. It's always best to address the root cause of the smell rather than just trying to cover it up.

4. How can I help my grandmother get rid of the smell without spending too much money?

As mentioned earlier, natural odor absorbers such as baking soda or activated charcoal can be an affordable option. You can also try using vinegar or lemon juice to neutralize odors. Additionally, proper cleaning and ventilation can go a long way in eliminating the smell without breaking the bank.

5. Is there a risk of the smell coming back in the future?

If the smell is caused by leftover food odors, it's possible that it could come back if the area is not properly cleaned and ventilated. However, if the source of the smell is addressed and the area is regularly cleaned, the smell should not persist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• etteluap70PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Kitchen2u