• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Optimizing Your Show Length: Tips from a Consultant

In summary, a consultant typically spends 4 hours or less at a show. They arrive 1/2 hour ahead of time, set up, do a demo, and take orders. They typically leave around 2 hours after the show is finished. They bring their laptop to speed up the process.
CathyBob
Gold Member
I have been a consultant for almost a year now and was wondering what the average length of a show is.

For me it depends on the number of people - but if my average number is between 8 and 12 people - my shows tend to be 4hrs+ from start to finish.

I show up 1/2 hr ahead to set up and then do my talk, demo, hand out catalogues and then check-out - when that is done, I do dishes and pack up!

I find 4hrs a long show and want to cut it down, but don't know how to do it without seeming like I am rushing.

Any suggestions?

Are you meaning from the time I arrive early to leaving after everyone but the Host is gone and I'm packed? It would be more in the 3-4 hour range, but the actual Show time is less than 2 hours...

If it's a BIG show and I have a lot of orders, I'm there for 3 hours. Usually it's 30 minutes before to set up, 45 minute (MAX) demo, 30 - 45 minutes to take orders and 10-15 to wrap up with my host....so that's 2 hours if everything runs smoothly. I do dishes while people are shopping and eating. I go back and forth from the sink to the guests to answer questions, do the draw, etc...

I would say from arriving a half hour early to being in my car backing out of their driveway it is 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours.

My vote reflects my demo time, not how long I'm at the host's home. I try to arrive 30-40 minutes early. By the time I am done talking and they are eating and chatting and finishing their food, it's about 1 1/2 hours-2 hrs. Then it always seems to take me one hour to finish up any loose orders the host gave me, chat with her while I do dishes and pack up again. So what's that---3 1/2 hours or so that I'm at their home--roughly.

I aim to be at the host's home one hour prior, so that I can set my stuff up and still have time to talk with the host and start prepping the food for the demo. If it's a 7 p.m. show, I arrive at 6 and I am usually done by 8, but then people usually take their time looking through the catalog and placing their orders and talking amongst themselves. I would say that (including pack-up time) I'm usually out by 10 at the latest, which means four hours from the time I arrived.

From my front door to my front door it's usually 5-6 hours. I always budget $60.00 a show for my babysitter. But I'm in front of the guests around 2 hours, I always take more time with my Hosts before and after so I don't have to meet with them later (and have to set up the babysitter again).

3 1/2 hours from the time I leave my house, until I am back in my garage. I was determined to cut my time down, to increase my recruiting leads, and it is working. Many that have joined my team recently also work a full-time job, and I wanted to give them an honest time of how long it takes me when I do a show.

I picked 3-4 hours, just because it really depends on where the show is located. I drive quite a distance for some of my shows. The avg. for a 7pm show - I leave at 6pm, arrive at the house at 6:15, do all of my prep, chat with the host, and am completely ready to greet guests at the door by 6:50-6:55.
Shows rarely start on time - usually around 7:15.(I'm okay with that - I want people to relax and chat and say hello to each other before I start) I am done with the demo/presentation by 8:15. People eat and chat, and I start taking orders around 8:30. By 9:15, I am packed up and ready to head back home and I can be home by 9:30.

BUT this is when a show is 15 minutes from my house. When the show is 45 min-1 hour away (my driving limit), then it takes longer.

If I'm at a show about 15-20 minutes from my home, I'm gone for about 3 hours 15 minutes. So gone at 5:45 maybe and home by 9. If there are 20+ people there, it can take longer. I bring my laptop to speed everything up (for me it does). My show used to take longer, but I'm picking faster recipes and doing interactive shows so the work gets done faster and I can actually answer questions WHILE the food is being prepared. My new fave is the Enchilada Casserole. It really helps to have people involved, but I can make it funny by saying how difficult it is. Taking the Mix n Chop and browning hamburger. Opening a jar or can. Measuring water. Yet, it shows several products (stone, stainless bowls, cutting board, grater, etc).I've been doing the Peanut Butter Trifle, especially for those that DON'T want and interactive show b/c it's really fast to put together and I seem to sell at least one Trifle bowl each time!

OH MY GOSH!! You all stay at shows much longer than I do. The longest I've been at a show - from start to finish was 3 1/2 hours. Typcially, I'm in and out in 2.

I don't count drive time, because if you worked in a office, you wouldn't count your drive time as the time you spend at work.

ltkacz said:
OH MY GOSH!! You all stay at shows much longer than I do. The longest I've been at a show - from start to finish was 3 1/2 hours. Typcially, I'm in and out in 2.

Do you have a particular recipe you stick to? Do you do a demo, or have it already made, or do you do interactive? Do you take your dirty dishes home with you? Do you leave before the guests? Just curious. 2 hours seems really fast to me.

For any show I'm typically there about 30 minutes ahead of time. I just bring with me the new consultant kit products (minus the mini muffin and tart shaper) plus the host special for the current month and for the next month - and maybe a few extras like the mix'n chop. So, my shows don't have long for set up.

I do the same recipe all month long - and the easier the better. This past month was the mini cheeseburgers.

I start my shows no later than 7 minutes past the stated start on the invite. The demo obvisously doesn't take long when you have easy recipes. I make it interactive - so time goes by quick. Plus, while things are baking - I do the booking slide. I do the ticket game for recruiting (i.e. ask me anything about my job - I give 11 tickets to host - she takes one and the remaining 10 get given out durring the show). I play no other games! I'm typically done with my demo well within the hour. I pass the cutomer care surveys out and collect those when I'm collecting orders.

When recipe is done, people are eating and putting their order together. I take orders during this time, and I pack up all my dirty dishes to bring home with me. Right before I start packing up the rest of display, I'll do the ticket drawing and the cusotmer care surveys - give my prizes out of those, finish packing up my stuff (which doesn't take long - didn't bring much with me) and wind up with my host on where she stands with her show.

I work a full time job in addition to PC plus have a 6 year old at home. So, that's why I'm in and out quick. My show average is $500, and I typically get at least 2 bookings at each show (people love that I'm quick and fun).

I'm with you Liz. I am typically on my way out the door at the 2 1/2 hour mark. I arrive about 30 - 45 minutes before the show so that I can get any outside orders taken care of that the host has. I do any prep work that needs done, then typically start my presentation within 10 minutes of the stated start time. I also do the same recipe all month long. By the 3rd show of the month, I am BLOWING IT UP!!!! I whip right through the recipe. Then, while the recipe is baking, I ask for questions, do the booking slide etc etc. Then, when the food is done, I invite everyone to come an eat. Then, I am always like, I will be right over here to take orders and answer questions. Most of the time, the guests will start checking out right away. When the line dwindles down, I work on my dishes while waiting for the rest to finish up. I NEVER BRING HOME DIRTY DISHES!!!! I also work a full time job and have 3 kids at home, I did 3 shows in February, got 10 bookings and ended the month with $2593.00 in commissionable sales!!!! YAY FOR ME!!!! My hosts also love that I keep it quick. I always open my show by asking for their undivided attention and promising to keep it short so that they can visit and chat too without getting home too late. The guests are awesome about it and love that they don't have to sit through an extremely long demo.

How Long Are Your Shows?

The length of our shows can vary, but on average they last around 2 hours. However, this can also depend on the type of show and the number of guests in attendance.

Do I Need to Attend the Entire Show?

We highly recommend attending the entire show to get the full experience and learn all about our products and how to use them. However, if you need to leave early, that is completely fine.

Can I Host a Shorter Show?

Yes, we understand that some hosts may have time constraints and we are happy to accommodate by offering shorter shows upon request. Just let us know in advance and we will work with you to create a show that fits your schedule.

What Happens if I Have to Cancel My Show?

If for any reason you need to cancel your show, please let your consultant know as soon as possible. We can either reschedule for a later date or cancel altogether. We understand that life happens and we are happy to work with you.

Are There Any Benefits to Hosting a Longer Show?

Yes, the longer your show is, the more free products and discounts you can earn as a host! We recommend aiming for a 2 hour show to maximize your rewards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• clshirk
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
  • jcsmilez
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
JennyJennJen
Replies