• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

One of My Customers Is at Disney World Right Now Because....

In summary, Debbie is a fan of Extreme Home Makeover and is excited for the show to resume. She has met some celebrities, but the most impressive encounter was when she met Billy Joel and Christy Brinkley at a horse show in the Hamptons. They are excited to see the finished product.
DebbieJ
EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER IS REDOING HER HOUSE!!!

She cancelled her show in July and we haven't been able to reschedule. I sure hope she does now!!!!

They come home on Tuesday. I can't wait to hear about it!

That is so cool.

This is one of those stories that makes you think, these things really DO happen to someone. I never win the lottery or know anyone who has, I don't know anyone who has been thrust into the limelight for one reason or another. My only brush with greatness was when I saw James B. Sikking in a bar in Boston about 20 years ago.And if you have to ask who he is, you know how unimpressed I am by it, too.

DebbieJ said:
EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER IS REDOING HER HOUSE!!!

She cancelled her show in July and we haven't been able to reschedule. I sure hope she does now!!!!

They come home on Tuesday. I can't wait to hear about it!
That's so cool! Where does she live? You'll have to let us know when that episode is on. I bet you'll have an AWESOME kitchen to do your show in when she reschedules.:D

Wow!

XHM is so cool. My DH hates it, so I can only watch it when he's out. :rolleyes:

My closest brush with greatness is working with Eric Kunzel. (Conductor of the Cincinnati pops). Oh- and singing at Castelgondolfo at a private mass with the pope (JP II).

That's really neat! You'll have to let us know when it's on, so we can see where you'll be partying. :)

The only celeb I've run into is Donny Osmond at Burger King in Honolulu. Thrilling.

Erik Kunzel? Donny Osmond? Either one is more impressive than James B. Sikking.Debbie, get that show rescheduled - you'll be a celebrity yourself!

I bet you're excited to see that kitchen:D How exciting for them...I LOVE watching that show. Let us know when the episode is on!

Last year at conference when we were walking Michigan Ave, we walked passed Vince Vaughn filming "the breakup". That was cool, but he hid in a store once we spotted him; so no pics:(

That is so cool! Maybe PC will donate stuff to her kitchen and give you a leg up! I saw one of the Monkees at the airport in Las Vegas, but being born in 1985 my mom had to point him out. Nothing too special- Oh, I have sold PC stuff to a friend's daughter in law, and now she is the front runner for Governer!! I SO hope she wins so I can tell people that I am the governer's "personal" PC consultant! LMAO!

They live in the city. They moved into this house about 3 months ago, so I'm not exactly sure where it is.

The story is that her DH is an ex-drug addict. They now have six kids that they homeschool. They are born again Christians, attend church regularly. They've just really turned their life around.

The only house they could afford was totally run down, rat infested, asbestos ridden--just yuck.

I don't know who nominated them or how it all happened, but I can't wait to see it! I wish I would have known sooner so I could have gotten involved some way.

Someone suggested doing a show there and making it a "giving tree" type of show where we have the guests buy gifts for themselves AND for a local program for low income families and then also donate the host benefits. So we'll see.....

supergirljennie said:
That's really neat! You'll have to let us know when it's on, so we can see where you'll be partying. :)

The only celeb I've run into is Donny Osmond at Burger King in Honolulu. Thrilling.

I met Billy Joel and Christy Brinkley at a horse show in the Hamptons on Long Island, about 15 years ago. He brought Christy a horse which she was riding. What a nice guy. I even have pictures of us. :D

I also met Joe Torre (sp?) with the NY Yankees. He was sitting right behind me at a broadway play "Beauty and the Beast". To bad that I am a mets fan! LOL :)

letscook04 said:
I met Billy Joel and Christy Brinkley at a horse show in the Hamptons on Long Island, about 15 years ago. He brought Christy a horse which she was riding. What a nice guy. I even have pictures of us. :D

I also met Joe Torre (sp?) with the NY Yankees. He was sitting right behind me at a broadway play "Beauty and the Beast". To bad that I am a mets fan! LOL :)

Are you from the Island???

gilliandanielle said:
Oh, I have sold PC stuff to a friend's daughter in law, and now she is the front runner for Governer!! I SO hope she wins so I can tell people that I am the governer's "personal" PC consultant! LMAO!

That would be pretty cool. :) And of course the gov' would have a personal consultant... What other kind is there?

After living in Los Angeles for 6 years, I have met too many "celebrities" to keep track. In the end, they're just regular people with regular lives, too, so I just left them alone.

i.e. Cuba Gooding, Jr. having breakfast with his son the next table over. I wouldn't want anyone interrupting my family time either, so an exchange of smiles was all we did.

letscook04 said:

You shouldda talked to him anyway - he is a really nice guy. He played here during his career (along with his brother) and was always well liked. The Aaron brothers played here and the Alou brothers played here, too. And you thought Philly was the city of brotherly love.

That is so awesome! I wish I could get EHM to my house. I would even settle for Trading Spaces or Landscapers Challenge.

As for you KG, maybe you should come to visit me as I have crossed paths with different celebs (Silvester Stallone, George Forman, Ray Romano, The Trumpster (and me without my hair clippers), Jerry Rice, and others. My DH works for a company that owns a golf course that sponsors Celeb. Golf Tournaments.
In a small town where I use to live I had drinks with Ned Beatty and Lee Greenwood (2 seperate occassions). Plus a friend that USE to work with my DH won a $2.9 million jackpot on a slot machine (played $20).
When my DH and I were dating, he told me that we would get married when he won the lottery. One day he bought a scratch off and won a whopping $5.00 so I set the date! I figured a deal is a deal.
Now that I am in PC, I hope that I can run into more celebs to host a show for me!
Valky

I kept walking past Tommy Lasorda at Disneyland one day. Like 6 or 7 times. By the end of the day, we were smiling at each other. Wasn't going to stop him, I mean, I am an Angels fan ;) I also had a brush with Andre the Giant at the Orlando airport when I was in Jr High. He looked big on TV, but seriously, in person he was HUGE.
My friend and her mom where in an elevator with Shaq once and her mom had no clue and asked him if he played basketball. All my friend could do was groan as he said he did :)

chefann said:
Wow!

XHM is so cool. My DH hates it, so I can only watch it when he's out. :rolleyes:

Ann - that's so funny - my husband hates it too, and if he is in the room when I am watching it - he complains the whole time! He has some "probably" valid points. He is a builder, and so he says that he doesn't care how many people are working on the house, there is no way you can build a quality house in less than a week. He says cement, stonework, and drywall all have to cure before the house can be finished, and he would really like to visit all the houses a year later to see how many problems they are having with the house falling apart.
I try my best to ignore him - I love watching the show and seeing people who have been thru such a hard time get a break!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
He is a builder, and so he says that he doesn't care how many people are working on the house, there is no way you can build a quality house in less than a week. He says cement, stonework, and drywall all have to cure before the house can be finished

I had wondered about that.

My brush with fame was this summer at the Orlando airport - I was with my family just arriving and was tying my shoe when this guy starts singing behind me - I look over and it's Erik Estrada (from CHIPS) and he starts talking to me asking me if I was coming or going - we had a good 5 minute conversation - very nice! Then a woman came up to get a picture - so I figured that I'd get my camera out too - by that time the rest of my family had gotten off the plane and saw me talking to him - it was fun! I've also met Barry Williams (Greg Brady from the Brady Bunch, Davy Jones, my husband met Shania Twain at a convention for work in Vegas - he loves her and has the pictures with her to prove it!) I enjoy meeting celebrities (B List ones preferably!) - although I feel the same way - that's just their job and they have regular lives!

Gina Miller

I'd rather have met Doris & Jay on the U of I campus last Summer when I was there.

ChefBeckyD said:
Ann - that's so funny - my husband hates it too, and if he is in the room when I am watching it - he complains the whole time! He has some "probably" valid points. He is a builder, and so he says that he doesn't care how many people are working on the house, there is no way you can build a quality house in less than a week. He says cement, stonework, and drywall all have to cure before the house can be finished, and he would really like to visit all the houses a year later to see how many problems they are having with the house falling apart.
I try my best to ignore him - I love watching the show and seeing people who have been thru such a hard time get a break!!!

Becky- They really do it in seven days, and to make it worse they do two houses at a time in seven days (with different contractors of course). My DH got the scoop when EHM came to AK for the season premier. When Ty is working on his "secret room" he is really filming at the other location. That is why there are different carpenters and design people on the different episodes. Also, a LOT of the scenes are filmed afterwards. I have been to the Sears in Fairbanks and it IS NOT the Sears that they were "shopping" at on the show. I am also a member of the watch-when-DH-is-busy club!

EHM is my favorite show.

EHM makes me cry; I met a famous Japanese lady named Nahomi my son modeled for a CD jacket and did there bands promo video I have pictures of my son and her together he was crying and didn't want to stay near her. But my son is on this website http://www.killers-web.com/ (if the CD thing doesn't come up click on discography) he's the only little boy dressed like a girl on there. (they didn't tell me how he would be dressed before hand) :mad:
Tonia

My brush with greatnessI bumpedc into Jessica Lange (literally) and Sam Shepherd about 15 years ago at a Cracker Barrell in VA.

He held the door for me, and she and I literally stumbled into each other going opposite directions in one of the aisles of the store.

Melinda

gilliandanielle said:
Becky- They really do it in seven days, and to make it worse they do two houses at a time in seven days (with different contractors of course). My DH got the scoop when EHM came to AK for the season premier. When Ty is working on his "secret room" he is really filming at the other location. That is why there are different carpenters and design people on the different episodes. Also, a LOT of the scenes are filmed afterwards. I have been to the Sears in Fairbanks and it IS NOT the Sears that they were "shopping" at on the show. I am also a member of the watch-when-DH-is-busy club!

My DH is not getting that info from me! I really don't need to hear his smug "I told you so"!!!

melindag said:
I bumpedc into Jessica Lange (literally) and Sam Shepherd about 15 years ago at a Cracker Barrell in VA.

He held the door for me, and she and I literally stumbled into each other going opposite directions in one of the aisles of the store.

Melinda

Okay - the image of Jessica Lange & Sam Shepherd eating at Cracker Barrel, and playing that little triangle game w/ the golf tees, makes me smile!:D

I bet she is going to want to show off her new house when it's all over--- sounds like the PERFECT opportunity for a show!

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Her mother called me this morning to come do a show!!!

Some of the sponsors didn't come through, so they didn't stock her kitchen.
She needs everything!

OMG OMG OMG

I'm calling my director and NED to see what we can do. The idea so far is to have a huge party, open it up to everyone we know to come get a tour of the house and then take orders for themselves, for them to buy items off the wish list for Melinda, and then Melinda will get host benefits to get the rest. I figure if there are things left after that, we can contact HO to donate.

They also have a fund set up at a bank to help with the mortgage, utilities, property taxes, etc. I guess they didn't pay off her mortgage either, so we'll also take donations for that.

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!

DebbieJ said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG

Her mother called me this morning to come do a show!!!

Some of the sponsors didn't come through, so they didn't stock her kitchen.
She needs everything!

OMG OMG OMG

I'm calling my director and NED to see what we can do. The idea so far is to have a huge party, open it up to everyone we know to come get a tour of the house and then take orders for themselves, for them to buy items off the wish list for Melinda, and then Melinda will get host benefits to get the rest. I figure if there are things left after that, we can contact HO to donate.

They also have a fund set up at a bank to help with the mortgage, utilities, property taxes, etc. I guess they didn't pay off her mortgage either, so we'll also take donations for that.

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!

I'm not an avid watcher, do they usually pay off the mortgage and stock everything in the kitchen?

They don't always pay off the mortgage, but I think they usually stock the kitchen. Pampered Chef was a sponsor a few episodes ago and I did see our stuff when they opened a few drawers.

How do they pick who gets their house redone?

Debbie! What an awesome OPPORTUNITY!! I am so jealous! Have a ton of fun and let us know how it goes! Get her to do in January so it counts for your trip next year since you've already earned this years!!!:D

Wow, Debbie this could be a great opportunity. May this show go well and her kitchen be well stocked.

Debbie,
THAT IS SO COOL!! I'm so excited for you. You said they live in Chicago, right? I wonder if it was the same people who I read about in the local Geneva paper this week. ONe of our local cleaners (Geneva Cleaners) was somehow picked to do the drycleaning for various things in the house like the draperies and stuff like that that needed to be cleaned. So, the co-owner of the cleaners drove into Chicago every day and dropped stuff up while he picked up more to get cleaned. It must be the same house, because in the article they said that the house wasn't demolished, but remodeled because of its historic value. Small world!!! Another funny coincidence is that last summer I did a BIG couples show here in Geneva and it was the co-owner of the Geneva Cleaners and his wife who were the hosts! I didn't realized they owned the place until after the show.

You'll definitely have to keep us posted!:D

Shoot, I think you should sign her up, sounds like plenty of people would help her get started :) And she's going to need to cover that mortgage they didn't cover...

I ran into Matthew McConaghey at the Austin airport about 6 years ago. I waved and smiled and he nodded at me! I went nuts!!!!!!!!!!

We're doing a show on Dec 9th at the new house, so we'll see if I can recruit her! :)

We just had an EHMO here in WI last month. How you get on the show is many many people have to nominate you, these people had over 100 nominations. I think they also check to make sure that you can afford your mortgage.

Because this is considered a "charity" giving of the new house the tax's for the house will stay at the value of the house before the make over. So if the old house was valued at 100k and the new house is valued at 300k they will pay the 100k tax's. When the house is sold the new owners will be 300k tax's. EHMO has a fund set up to cover the rest. The same goes for the utilities; they stay based off of the last house. At least this is what was reported in the paper.

Debbie- This is so awesome!! Just imagine how much you will be able to help this family out! On top of that just imagine all of the new contacts you will be making. I would imagine that there will be an article in the paper on this party. Because of the curiosity for the new house maybe in order to take a tour of the house they should purchase something (certain dollar limit to make sure they don't just purchase an orange peeler) before the tour or be on the invite list. For some reason when I typed that the show My super sweet 16 just popped into my head. lol

I think it is also the families story that gets them picked. Sick, loss of family member, etc. My friend nominated my family so maybe one day you will see us on there. Our house is SOOOOO small, and we have a crack in our foundation so we have mold growing inside our walls. But since our daughter is buried at the cemetery next door I refuse to move. It is hard enough to live with out her. I can't imagine not being able to take my daily walk to go see her.

As far as "stars" go I have met Yakov Smirnoff, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith (he is a pretty good basketball player), the band 3 days grace (met, and partied with them), Black Eyed Peas, would you like me to keep going? (It's the other job I have)

Debbie,
Was she the one who home schools her kids?

Brooke - what is your other job?I met and played football with Harry Connick Jr....and got to play with his dog.

I work at the Arena here. Which is where most of the concerts, etc are held. I also used to worked at the hotel where they all usually stay.

bbauman07 said:
I think it is also the families story that gets them picked. Sick, loss of family member, etc. My friend nominated my family so maybe one day you will see us on there. Our house is SOOOOO small, and we have a crack in our foundation so we have mold growing inside our walls. But since our daughter is buried at the cemetery next door I refuse to move. It is hard enough to live with out her. I can't imagine not being able to take my daily walk to go see her.

As far as "stars" go I have met Yakov Smirnoff, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith (he is a pretty good basketball player), the band 3 days grace (met, and partied with them), Black Eyed Peas, would you like me to keep going? (It's the other job I have)

Brooke: I can't imagine what you have gone through! I'm glad you can at least be in walking distance to feel close to her. My heart goes out to you:)

Sounds like you have a fun "day job" though.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
my3angels
  • Kelly8
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies