• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

October Pot Luck Ideas: What's Your Favorite Dish?

In summary, Carol is invited to a pot luck, but is worried about the weather. She has some ideas for what to bring, but is worried about the size of the gathering.
Laura420
I have been invited to an October Pot Luck. OUTSIDE, no less... :yuck:
Whaddya think I should make? Whats your favorite pot luck dish?

You are on the east coast... is it cooler where you are?

If you have electricity and a crock pot, something like the white chicken chili or the chicken alfreado soup would be awesome.

If not, how about the sandwich ring? Or one of the salads from the spin on salads?? There is a great tasting one using sweet potatoes and apples. You could jazz it up with some candied walnuts and dried cherries. In fact, there are alot of great salads in that book. Try the quinoa one with goat cheese and leeks.

On the sweet side, you can't go wrong with a trifle, or even make the large chopped salad in the trifle bowl. Or try one of the new desserts in the holiday dessert book. That cranberry apple (is that it) pie near the back looks fabulous. Or the brownie lolipops - the kids would love them and they would be easy to eat.

Personally, I always get asked to bring this chicken skewer recipe. Very time intensive to make, but excellent....

Skewered Sesame Chicken with Chili Dip.

Sesame Chicken
1/8 c rice wine vinegar
1/2 c sesame oil
1 T chopped garlic
1/8 c soy sauce
1 1/3 lb raw chicken, cut into 48 bite size pieces
1/4 c white sesame seeds
1/4 c black sesame seeds
2 tsp cornstarch
3 T flour
3/4 c peanut oil
48 snow peas

Mix rice wine vinegar, sesmae oil, garlic, and soy sauce, pour over chicken. Marinate overnight. Mix sesame seeds, cornstarch, and flour. Dip marinated chicken into sesame seed mix. Place on parchment lined tray and let set 10 min. Heat peanut oil in saute pan and brown chicken. Drain on paper towels.

Trim tips and lightly blanch snow peas. Wrap pea pod around chicken and skewer.

Chili Dip
1 T rice wine vinegar
2 T chili paste with garlic
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 T minced ginger
3/4 c mayo
1 T sugar
dash of tabasco sauce

To prepare dip, combine all ingredients, blending well.
You can put the dip in a hollowed out red pepper if you don't have a pretty bowl for it.

To assemble, layer a tray with kale (ok, I omit this!). I just arrange the skewers around the dip. Serves 12

This looks like a lot of work (and it is), but they are sooooooo good. Every time I take the time to make these, everyone just loves them. Plus the dip is tasty, but not firey hot. I of course, serve this on SA, this year, the cranberry oval platter. This does take some things that I normally don't have on hand, but it sure is a crowd pleaser.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Chicken Alfredo Soup - what book is that in? Sounds yummy!

Thanks for the ideas Carol... Im not sure if my girlfriend will have electric set up, but it would sure be nice to crockpot something especially since we will be outside---yikes! Ill call her and ask though... I think I will make your chicken recipe for my family for dinner sometime next week... sounds yummy!! If worst comes to worst, Ill do a dessert... thats usually easiest.

I want to bring something I can bring on a disposable dish tho... my girlfriend is over an hour from us and we dont get together often so I dont want to part with my SA items or my trifle bowl... cuz who knows when Ill get it back. Maybe I can get a plastic pumpkin platter or something like that to bring whatever it is Im gonna bring...

Maybe some kinda casserole?

When we do potlucks in October and need serving dishes we use the cheap pumpkin trick or treat buckets (or now all the character ones they have)
Make the cool veggie pizza (get a pizza box from the local pizza place) ours will give you one if you ask.Make it like a pumpkin (grated carrots is the top layer) I do the chopped broccoli on top of the cream cheese then add the other toppings black olives for face, yellow or red peppers strips to make the "ridges"

I just found out that there are going to be like 50 or so people there... along with a small barn fire! yikes!...

anyway - what would you guys make?

Laura420 said:
I just found out that there are going to be like 50 or so people there... along with a small barn fire! yikes!...

anyway - what would you guys make?

I'd really stay away from that if I were you. Make sure the cows, tractors & straw bales are all out of the barn, otherwise, you'll have trouble. :D

PS - I'm guessing you mean a bon fire... ;)

no, actually.... barn! LOL My friends bought a house that had an old storage building that was made in the image of the old red barn. It was on the property when they bought the house and they had reluctantly assumed ownership when closing (it was very unslightly). Since then my girlfriends husband had torn the building down and used most of the wood for firewood and/or scrap, however, there were alot of pieces that couldnt be used in that way, sooooo thats what they are going to burn... so, really it IS a barn fire (at least thats the joke!!)

Dont worry about the cows though... I heard that shes BBQing the livestock and we are using the hay for seating!

Funny!

What about mini c0cktail weinies wrapped in biscuits?
Cold veggie pizza (already mentioned)
Potato or Mac salad
Stuff for smores (if she isn't already doing that)
A "dirt" cake...decorated for Halloween
Reuben Roll ups (I will add the recipe here)
Sausage Snack ring (I will add the recipe)

Attachments

• Bavarian Sausage Snack Ring.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Reuben Roll Ups.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Savory Cheese Bites.doc
    20 KB · Views: 234
Thanks Kelly!

I think I like the Roll-Up idea...
Maybe Ill make the "dirt cake" cake too! You have a recipe for that?
I could go for a piece of cake right now.... mmmmm, now Im hungry!

ohh - dirt cake is fabulous! Chocolate pudding with oreo crumbles on top with gummi worms in it! If you want it to be a bit fancier put a layer of pudding, a layer of cool whip, more pudding, then the crumbles and worms :) yum!

oooohhhhhh, I want some now....

Kelly - great links!!!!!

I am def. going to make the dirt cake! thank you so much for the idea!

No problem!!

Let us know how everyone likes it! It will be a hit...with kids AND adults!! They actually taste VERY good! How can you go wrong with creamcheese, pudding and OREOS?!!! lol

Related to October Pot Luck Ideas: What's Your Favorite Dish?

What are some easy appetizer ideas for a potluck in October?

Some easy appetizer ideas for an October potluck could include a fall harvest cheese board with a variety of cheeses, fruits, and nuts; bacon-wrapped dates filled with goat cheese and topped with a balsamic glaze; or mini pumpkin and sage tarts.

What are some vegetarian options for a potluck in October?

Vegetarian options for an October potluck could include a roasted vegetable quinoa salad, butternut squash and apple soup, or a savory mushroom and herb galette.

What are some fun and festive dessert ideas for an October potluck?

Fun and festive dessert ideas for an October potluck could include a caramel apple dip with sliced apples and graham crackers for dipping, pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, or mini apple cider donuts.

What are some make-ahead dishes that are great for a potluck in October?

Some make-ahead dishes that are great for an October potluck could include slow cooker chili, baked mac and cheese, or a hearty vegetable and bean soup. These dishes can be prepared in advance and easily transported to the potluck.

What are some ideas for incorporating seasonal ingredients into potluck dishes in October?

Ideas for incorporating seasonal ingredients into potluck dishes in October could include using pumpkin, apples, squash, and root vegetables in various dishes such as soups, salads, and casseroles. You could also incorporate warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for a cozy fall flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • chefsteph07
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD