• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Not Paying Tax on Free Products?

In summary, PC takes care of its hosts and pays it for them, so the hosts are actually paying tax on free products. I would be extremely surprised if PC is remitting sales tax on the host items -- my expectation as a bookkeeper would be that they are writing the value of the free products to an expense account as part of the cost of doing business (which actually is REDUCING their corporate taxes, so they pay LESS tax than they would otherwise).
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
When a host earns free product, i read on here that they do No pay tax on free products?

Is this accuracte?

If so, I'm just curious, why is this?

I don't know why but our hosts are lucky because other DS companies do charge tax on FREE product!

This is accurate, and I have no idea why.

It is accurate. It is because PC takes care of its hosts and pays it for them!

Tax in most states is calculated as a percentage... you pay tax on what you pay, not what it's worth (think about how much tax you pay when you buy something on sale at a store -- you pay the percentage on the SALE price, not the original price).

Free product is free, therefore the host IS paying tax on it -- they are just paying your local tax percentage on $0. I would be extremely surprised if PC is remiting sales tax on the host items -- my expectation as a bookkeeper would be that they are writing the value of the free products to an expense account as part of the cost of doing business (which actually is REDUCING their corporate taxes, so they pay LESS tax than they would otherwise). If other DS companies are charging tax on Free product, I would wonder if they are remitting it or simply adding it to the profit line.

I've worked in retail, wholesale and been a finance manager for several companies in Maryland, DC and Virginia. In NONE of those states did we ever charge or remit sales tax on items that were free.

Premier Jewelry makes you pay tax on your free stuff....UGH!

Tara1021 said:
THEY SURE DO! That's why I WILL NOT do a show again for them. I did a show for an acquaintance. Her very FIRST show but I explained I wasn't able to spend anything really. I had a decent party and earned lots of "FREE" stuff. That is until I realized I had to pay almost $30 for tax and I believe shipping too! I was so mad!

I think the reason some DS companies charge tax on the "free" and discounted products is because of the whole inventory issue. The consultant probably already paid tax on the retail price when she purchased it as "inventory" (Or will have to pay it when she places the order), therefore the tax is passed on to you, the consumer.

Tara1021 said:

Whan I did a Partylite show last year they charged tax and shipping on my free stuff as well...man that just fried my cookies!

Two of my favorite words with PC...

NO INVENTORY!

I just did a Discovery Toys party this past Tuesday and I had to pay shipping on my free stuff!!!!!! I actually only paid about $10.50 out of my own pocket for the products but ended up paying $10 for shipping! I was livid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PartyLite and Princess House charges tax and shipping on the free products! They don't have inventory either! I had $205 in free credit at my Partylite party and with that + my 1/2 off item + another $40 item she let me but for $9, I still paid $75 when I thought it would be around $40 or $50! It was more than $25 in tax!

Grrrrr!

I think part of it is also how the FPV is addressed on the host order. If it's applied like a coupon, then sales tax would be computed first, then subtract the FPV from the total, resulting in the host paying the sales tax.Please note that (at least in MI), it is actually against the law to charge sales tax on the FPV. I just found that out in May when my SD mentioned it at a meeting. Apparently, she has a relative who was part of a class action lawsuit against a department store that charged sales tax on free items. I don't know all the details, but the store had to refund a LOT of money to people included in the suit. Of course, that still doesn't stop DS companies from charging it...

I love that we don't charge it, and always point it out to my hosts!

lacychef said:
I love that we don't charge it, and always point it out to my hosts!
...especially those that are consultants or junkies of other ds companies. They are all over that!

I hosted an Arbonne show & was charged tax on my free stuff--around $30! And shipping. I didn't know ahead of time that I would have to (figured everyone was as wonderful as PC!) & if I had known, I definitely would not have spent as much on additional products as I did.

Now I make it a point to tell people that they don't have to pay tax on the free stuff.

It's just another reason PC is the best!

I didn't realize any of this!:eek:

Thanks for the great question Miss Curious;) and the great answers everyone!:)

I continue to learn so much here. :D
I will make a point out of this at my shows.

Does anyone know about TS?

I love this part of our host benefits, too. I recently hosted a Silpada jewelry party and earned $400 in free product, only to be charged tax and shipping on that free product!! I had no idea until I had picked out all of my free stuff! Needless to say, I didn't order anything above/beyond the free (esp. since they offer no additional discount - although my consultant offers a 10% discount to all of her past hosts as a "thank you"). I have hosted several DS parties and our host benefits are by far the best of all of them!! :)

I guess my host and guest are really lucky becasue in the state of Oregon we do not have sales tax.

I had to pay Shipping on my FREE Tupperware a few months ago. I am not sure about taxes. I LOVE that out PC Host do not hae to pay either - I had comments on how great it is from Hosts too.

Tastefully Simple is a no inventory company too. Most people think you have to carry stock, but the company prefers you to not, just have the orders shipped directly to the customer from the warehouse.

I forgot to mention I did a CTMH show and had to pay shipping and tax on free stuff! PC rocks!

1. How do I report free products I received from hosting a Pampered Chef party on my taxes?

As a host of a Pampered Chef party, any free products or discounts you receive should be reported as income on your taxes. The value of the free products or discounts will be included in your 1099 form from Pampered Chef, which you will receive at the end of the year. You will need to report this income on your tax return as "miscellaneous income".

2. Are there any situations where I don't have to pay taxes on free products?

In some cases, if the free products you receive are considered a gift or prize, you may not have to pay taxes on them. This usually applies to small, non-monetary gifts given as a token of appreciation, rather than as compensation for work or services rendered. However, if the value of the gift exceeds a certain amount (usually around $600), it may still be subject to taxes.

3. Do I need to keep track of the value of the free products I receive?

Yes, it is important to keep track of the value of any free products you receive from Pampered Chef. This will help you accurately report the income on your taxes and avoid any potential issues with the IRS. You can find the value of the products on your 1099 form or by contacting Pampered Chef directly.

4. Can I deduct the cost of the free products on my taxes as a business expense?

If you are a Pampered Chef consultant, you may be able to deduct the cost of the free products you give away as a business expense. However, this deduction is subject to certain rules and limitations. It is always best to consult with a tax professional for advice on deducting business expenses.

5. Are there any tax implications for the host of a Pampered Chef party who receives free products?

Yes, as the host of a Pampered Chef party, you may be subject to tax on the value of the free products or discounts you receive. This is because the free products are considered a form of income. It is important to keep track of the value of the products and report it on your taxes to avoid any issues with the IRS.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • pampchefsarah
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • ponvn591