• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Some Conference Travel Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of traveling and staying in Chicago for a conference. Participants share their experiences and recommendations for flying into either O'Hare or Midway airport, as well as their preferred hotels and their locations. They also discuss the importance of booking flights early and choosing non-stop flights, as well as sharing tips for traveling to and from the conference. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult with one's director for more information about the specific banquet location.
KimmyDarling
I've never been to Chicago.Do you recommend flying into O'Hare or Midway?And, although I know they haven't sent out info on hotels, can anyone share their good or bad experiences with the hotels they've stayed in? (A mini-review, if you will?)

Hello from a Chicagoan....

You can fly into either airport. I would pay attention to your arrival times and make sure you're not coming in during rush hour.

You can get downtown from either airport via public transportation. It's really easy!

All the conference hotels are fine. We stay in the Hilton b/c that's where our Executive Banquet is. I know others stay in other non-conference hotels due to cost, but you want to make sure that you are near one of the conference hotels so you can catch the shuttles back and forth to McCormick Place easily.

Thanks so much, Debbie! Do you remember in which Hilton the Banquet is held? (I'm seeing Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Chicago, and Hilton Suites Chicago/Miracle Mile.)

If the price of the airline tickets are the same flying into either airport, I like Midway best because it is not as crowded. However, I would definitely choose by price before location.

My top choice for hotels is The Palmer House. We had a two bed/two bath room last year and found it to be quite roomy. I also liked the area a little better than the Hilton. I have not stayed at the Sheraton, but I love its location - right near Navy Pier and the Magnificient Mile.

Lisa

KimmyDarling said:
I've never been to Chicago.

Do you recommend flying into O'Hare or Midway?

And, although I know they haven't sent out info on hotels, can anyone share their good or bad experiences with the hotels they've stayed in? (A mini-review, if you will?)

I agree that it doesn't matter which airport you fly into. I have flown in 5 times and taken the train once.

My BIGGEST piece of advice is book your flight early and pay the extra for a NON stop flight to and from Chicago. Last year was the first year I delayed making flight reservations and although the flight to Chicago was direct, the flight home had one stop. Because Chicago gets hammered with storms of various types, they will delay flights. We were supposed to land in Pittsburgh. Our luggage went, we didn't. We were re-directed to Newark, NJ. We were exiting the plane the exact time our last connecting flight was leaving. We ended up forfitting (I know I misspelled this!) our ticket, split a rental car 4 ways to get back. We got up at 5 am and arrived home at 11 pm. I then had to drive 100 miles to pick up our luggage and drive back 100 miles the next day. We were told at the end of the day that because we had rented a car and did not fly in that we "voluntarily surrendered our luggage" and the air lines were not going to transport it to us.:mad: :mad:

We are considering driving the 12 hours this year. The year I took Amtrack was ok, but unless you rent a sleeping berth (more than an airplane ticket) then you sit up for 12 to 14 hours in a seat. It was only $99 but still not too bad of a trip if you want someone to drive. Just go a day earlier than the conference begins. I literally ran to the last bus to the conference center and had not been able to change my clothes or shower because the train traveled from midnight to noon. I felt exhausted and icky. Conference will tire you out (even if you don't stay up and party!). Starting it that tired was not good.

I have no complaints about any of the hotels either related with conference or in any non conference hotels I have stayed in.

For a city, Chicago is so beautiful and kept clean. As expected, I would not walk alone as a female, but honestly, I have never felt unsafe at all and have walked a TON!!! I live in the country, but I absolutely love visiting Chicago. It has so much to offer and they do so much to keep the city looking extremely beautiful.

Each Executive Director has their own banquet and they are held in one of the conference hotels. You have to know who your upline is and then find out from her (or your director) which hotel she is assigned to.

The Hilton that PC uses is the Hilton and Towers on South Michigan Ave.

In our cluster, we try to work out travel and hotel stuff together. I would ask your director!

ChefLisa said:
If the price of the airline tickets are the same flying into either airport, I like Midway best because it is not as crowded. However, I would definitely choose by price before location.

My top choice for hotels is The Palmer House. We had a two bed/two bath room last year and found it to be quite roomy. I also liked the area a little better than the Hilton. I have not stayed at the Sheraton, but I love its location - right near Navy Pier and the Magnificient Mile.

Lisa

I had a total opposite experience at The Palmer House! (which is a Hilton) Horrible Horrible Horrible!!! I could go on for hours about the terrible service, wrong accommadations (which were never corrected, even though we had proof of our reservation), etc.....In the past we have stayed at The Embassy Suites(Not a conf. hotel, but right across the street from The Sheraton - easy to catch the shuttle) w/ a free full breakfast buffet, and free happy hour drinks every evening - and all the rooms are Suites - very roomy even w/ 6 people. Our cluster is making reservations very early this year, to make sure we get rooms there this year! (already booked up last yr. when we tried to reserve.) And it is also within walking distance of Navy Pier & Mag. Mile!

Thank you for all of this great info. This is exactly what I was looking for!

I just stayed at the Fairmont Chicago for a conference down there in January. Nice but WAY to expensive for my price range!!!! We walked a block or two to "afford" dinner.

We stayed at the Palmer House Hilton this past year and it was great, I have had not such great luck with the Sheraton. I would also recomend booking your flight to the cheapest airport, but I prefer Midway.

Just booked my flight to Midway. Woo-hoo!

SheratonI stayed at the Sheraton last year and it was great. The shuttle picks up right outside the building. We had no problems with reservations or anything like that. Oh, and I flew into Midway and took the L train to and from the airport. I enjoyed my stay!

Yep, taking the Orange line train is the way to go!!! Super cheap and is plenty safe.

I live in the southwest burbs and we often will drive to Midway and park there and then take the train downtown to go to different events and festivals. It's super convenient and then you don't have to battle parking and traffic. :).

If anyone in the Midwest is looking for a method of travel, my group took the Megabus last year. They offer bus service to/from Chicago to several midwestern cities: Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Paul (maybe a couple more). They sell tix online only, but prices start at $1 each way. We traveled RT from Detroit for $9.00 a person last year. They drop/pick up at Union Station in Chicago, which is a short cab ride to conference hotels.

The only complaint we had was that the bus we were on going to Chicago had no A/C, and the driver refused to admit it was broken. She kept telling us that "It takes a while to cool down." About 45 minutes from the end of the trip, she finally said "I guess it is broken." Luckily, there were only about 15 of us on the bus, so we weren't packed in like sardines.

My DH (poor guy) has to drive to Midway everyday to work....
Public transportation is very safe is Chicago. and walking downtown even at night (alone) I feel pretty safe, but Not so much out in the different neighborhoods and such. or around Midway (outside the gates)

ChefBeckyD said:
In the past we have stayed at The Embassy Suites(Not a conf. hotel, but right across the street from The Sheraton - easy to catch the shuttle) w/ a free full breakfast buffet, and free happy hour drinks every evening - and all the rooms are Suites - very roomy even w/ 6 people. Our cluster is making reservations very early this year, to make sure we get rooms there this year! (already booked up last yr. when we tried to reserve.) And it is also within walking distance of Navy Pier & Mag. Mile!
This is a great way to do it and squeeze 6 people in without it being crowded. Plus, there's an extra sink to do hair and make-up at so someone can be showering. And you can walk right out their door and a block to the conference shuttles from the Sheraton, which is very easy.

2 years ago we stayed at the Sheraton, & it was great. Last year we stayed at the Palmer Hilton & it was okay. We had isssues with them charging all our credit cards for the full amount though (the first day), & one of them was a debit card....long story but it worked out okay. The cost of those hotels isn't bad when you have 4-5 people sharing the cost. (the only way I'll ever afford to stay at a Hilton!)
We've flown into Midway both years & didn't have any problems there. My first year, we got to the hotel by splitting the cost of a limo since there were a bunch of us; was actually cheaper than a cab! Last year we took the L, and it was so fun!:)

chefann said:
If anyone in the Midwest is looking for a method of travel, my group took the Megabus last year. They offer bus service to/from Chicago to several midwestern cities: Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Paul (maybe a couple more). They sell tix online only, but prices start at $1 each way. We traveled RT from Detroit for $9.00 a person last year. They drop/pick up at Union Station in Chicago, which is a short cab ride to conference hotels.

The only complaint we had was that the bus we were on going to Chicago had no A/C, and the driver refused to admit it was broken. She kept telling us that "It takes a while to cool down." About 45 minutes from the end of the trip, she finally said "I guess it is broken." Luckily, there were only about 15 of us on the bus, so we weren't packed in like sardines.

My group took Megabus from Cincinnatti and for the price you can't beat it. We are doing it again this year. We also had the same problem with the A/C not working on our way to Chicago and the bus was packed. I don't think anyone really talked the whole way. The ride back to Cincinnati was wonderful though not too crowded and the A/C was working.

Tracy

lacychef said:
My first year, we got to the hotel by splitting the cost of a limo since there were a bunch of us; was actually cheaper than a cab!

We did the same thing last year. My first limo ride. It was pretty cool.:)

Train from O'Hare?Anyone know if there is an L train from O'HAre into Downtown? Probably staying at the Sheraton. Loved it last year! Right in the heart of everything and we never had a problem with any shuttles or anything! You can walk to Navy Pier, and it's right next to a big Liquor Store ~~ LOL!

Yep, you can take the Blue Line from O'Hare right downtown.

Just search for CTA and you can look at system maps and stuff on their website.

Hey Deb, you're going to be all of our go to person for conference!!!

I think I'm going to map out all the public trans routes and post them. Maybe Greg will even give me my own sticky. :)

We stayed at the Palmer House last year..... I flew into O'hare, United does not fly into Midway, My director and I flew in to o'hare and caught up with the rest of our group that night.

I didn't make it conference last year, surgery :( , but the year prior we flew into Midway, took the L and stayed at Embassy Suites (which I highly recommend!!) Embassy has a complimentary ****tail hour and a great buffet or cook to order breakfast. We had a great time!!

Angela Condo

-Finally back on my feet and moving forward!!:D

PChef_ang said:
I didn't make it conference last year, surgery :( , but the year prior we flew into Midway, took the L and stayed at Embassy Suites (which I highly recommend!!) Embassy has a complimentary ****tail hour and a great buffet or cook to order breakfast. We had a great time!!

Angela Condo

-Finally back on my feet and moving forward!!:D

Was Embassy a conference hotel?
Does anyone know what the conference hotels are this year?

No, Embassy was not a conference hotel.There hasn't been any word on what they'll be this year. But for the past several years, they have been Palmer House Hilton, Sheraton and Chicago Hilton.

What the confernce hotels are they are super nice..!!!

Deb said they we are finding out in April. Save your money now to book your room!!!:D

When I went before, 4 of us shared a room. That made it fairly reasonable, especially since they were fairly large, comfortable rooms. I especially like the fact that all I had to do was go downstairs to catch the bus to the Conference. Soooo much easier that trying to make my way back to another hotel. IMHO, it's worth it.

Some of the conference rooms also have 2 bathrooms and it makes things easier getting 4 women out the door at the same time in the morning!

Yep, we always stay in a conference hotel for that very reason. We do the Hilton b/c that's where our Executive Banquet is. And we reserve our rooms early, so we pay the little extra and get the 2 bathroom rooms. It is SOOOO nice!

Palmer HiltonI can go on for HOURS on Conference talk....:D But we stayed there, two bed/two bath also, which was a BLESSING with 4 women in the room...LOL...
We flew into Midway from Providence and took the train which goes right to the Palmer, which was sooooo easy. And it was a short walk to Millenium Park and great resturants, this year we're shooting for the Sheraton to be near the water and Navy Pier, something different.

I suggest getting your flight asap, I've been on everyday for hours looking....
Clothes, hmm...last year it was HOT HOT HOT....bring VERY comfortable shoes....the conference is HUGE and you walk LOTS....wear comfortable clothes.

When you go to the SURPRISE BOXES, which are ADDICTIVE....and a BLAST, ship your stuff home, sooooo much easier...last year I carried it all around with me...it was HEAVY....LOL.....

You will LOVE it, it is sooo much fun, I can't WAIT.....

When can we register for our conference?

April 1, I think??

Some time in April. We'll probably get more info next month.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ldynred7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
MLinAZ
  • NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies