• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I've Never Been to National Conference but Am Planning to Go This

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for hotels for the upcoming National Conference in Chicago. The participants mention various hotels, including the Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Lakefront, the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, and the Hyatt Regency Chicago. They also mention the convenience of staying at a conference hotel and using the provided shuttle buses to get to the McCormick Place Convention Center. Some participants suggest sharing rooms to save money, and also mention the options of taking the metro or water taxis. The conversation also touches on the logistics of airports and the location of the convention center in relation to downtown Chicago.
Sheila
Gold Member
I've never been to National Conference but am planning to go this year. Any recommendations on hotels? We have a metro system here in Tokyo, so I'm not completely against staying a few miles away & riding the train or renting a car & driving in each day. But I'm thinking it might be easier to pay more and stay close! LOL

Re: Hotels?We stayed at the Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Lakefront. The Sheraton (which is usually a conference hotel) is one block up, so I just walked to get the shuttle to the conference center. (A lot of consultants stayed there). Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers is typically a conference hotel. The Hyatt Regency Chicago is one block over from the Sheraton (other direction along river).Here is the site I like to use to see where hotels are in relation to everything. The Map Legend- the hotels with the BLUE Pin are in the area of the Conference Hotel. Hyatt McCormick Place as a hotel last year for conference, but it's not near downtown night-activities. The Metro is easy to take. Water Taxis are a family favorite, and when along the Michigan Ave/Downtown (Magnificent Mile) area, walking isn't so bad either. I've never been keen on the L (overhead train).Map of Chicago Hotels by City Area-Neighborhood-Mag Mile-River North-Loop-Others from Chicago Traveler

Re: Hotels?Highly recommend the embassy mentioned above. They have a free hot breakfast, and free drinks and appetizers every night. Being only a block away from a conference hotel, makes it easy to ride the busses to McCormic, and a lot of PC people stay there, so you're still having all the fun of a conference hotel...

Re: Hotels?HO has not opened housing so we don't know for sure what the conference hotels will be. No harm in reserving elsewhere if you're not putting any money down.

So excited that you'll be making the long trip, Sheila. I might have to show up for a CS Meet & Greet. Maybe not since I managed to find Laurie in the crowd last year.

Re: Hotels?When I did mapquest for the McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago, IL it put us much further south than all those blue markers. So the convention center where we will be is closer to downtown & not further south?

Re: Hotels?See! I didn't know that they gave us hotel suggestions! LOL I figured we were just on our own to find some place close to the venue.

Re: Hotels?I think we stayed at the Hilton last year. It was the one with 2 baths in every room, which was really nice with 4 women trying to get ready at the same time. Also, staying w/ people on the other track from you would alleviate that a little and would give you the opportunity to meet different people.

Re: Hotels?Ahhh, welcome to the world of conference planning. Yes, HO reserves large blocks of rooms at 3 or 4 hotels. They're opening housing registration in April, exact date is on CC somewhere under conference info. McCormick Place is not really near anything else. Last year was the first year that the McCormick Place Hilton was a conference hotel. Some people on CS stayed there and were quite happy. HO provides bus transportation from the conference hotels to and from McCormick Place, starting an hour or two before the first event (breakfast, registration, whatever) until about an hour after the last workshop or event of the day. It can take about 10-15 minutes one way b/c of traffic. This is why some people reserve a less expensive hotel that is near a conference hotel. They walk on over and hop on the bus. Sharing room is a big way to save $$$. I assume only you is coming from Japan. Start seeing if people on here want to share with you if you want to save some $$$. Some hotels have a limited # of rooms with special accommodations, ie. 2 bathrooms, that go quickly when housing registration opens.

Also, Midway is the small airport closer to the city. O'Hare with its international connections is the larger airport further from the city. Might be worth your time to go back to the old threads from last year to read about the logistics.

Re: Hotels?
Sheila said:
When I did mapquest for the McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago, IL it put us much further south than all those blue markers. So the convention center where we will be is closer to downtown & not further south?

No. The convention center is further South. That's why they provide free shuttle buses to and from the hotels that PC make arrangements with. If you find Soldier Field on the map (go further South, south of the large Park (Millennium Park)....McCormick Center is further south of Soldier Field.

PC has in the past two years I've gone, had the Sheraton Hotel and one other one - usually in the same general downtown area that I mentioned....that's why so many of us stay there. After conference for the day, you can walk to dining options, lots of shopping, Navy Pier, etc.

And yes- they'll open housing reservations April 18th I believe?

Re: Hotels?I have several cluster mates going. My SD is coming from Misawa, Japan and one of the directors in my downline is coming from Okinawa. The other Director in my downline is about to move to California & will be going from there to Conference. Then my original recruiter is in Hawaii & planning to attend. I know I'll have people to room with ... but wondering if I want to foot the bill for a private room! LOL I think the slumber party would be fun, but I also think that having a break from noise will be great too! I live with noise 24/7!!!

Re: Hotels?This will be my 4th year and every year we've roomed together. Nothing too exciting and fun and depending on the schedule and what you do at night you aren't in your room that much. It's nice to split the price!

Sheila said:
I have several cluster mates going. My SD is coming from Misawa, Japan and one of the directors in my downline is coming from Okinawa. The other Director in my downline is about to move to California & will be going from there to Conference. Then my original recruiter is in Hawaii & planning to attend. I know I'll have people to room with ... but wondering if I want to foot the bill for a private room! LOL I think the slumber party would be fun, but I also think that having a break from noise will be great too! I live with noise 24/7!!!

It's a different kind of noise! :D

NooraK said:
It's a different kind of noise! :D
Will be interesting to see if the noise can be topped with the announcement of Facebook and the Spice Turnabout last summer!

Re: Hotels?Sheila if you decide to stay on your own, remember that the conference hotels average about $220 a night with tax.

Re: Hotels?I shared a room at the Best Western about 2 blocks from the Hilton last year. It was fine. No bells and whistles but I paid about what friends paid 4 to a room at the Hilton if not a bit less. I liked just 2 in a room.

Re: Hotels?Thanks John! I had already looked at $250 on a couple of the sites. I agree it would be more cost effective to share but traveling 1/2 way around the world I'm not sure I'd be much fun for my roommates if I'm wanting to sleep when they want to go sightseeing and if I'm up at 3AM when they are trying to sleep. My SD suggested that maybe the overseas girls should clump together in one room so if we all want to get up at 3AM we won't be disturbing other roommates! LOL

Re: Hotels?We've done as many as 7 in a room (at Embassy w/a two room suite)...it only had one bathroom, so it was tough, but saved a ton of money! Someone slept on an airbed...

Re: Hotels?LOL That's funny!!!

Re: Hotels?Sheila -
Check out a military discount at Embassy - we got an awesome deal last year! That is where we'll be again this year :)!
Lynette

Re: Hotels?Thanks Lynette!

Re: Hotels?Sheila, I've been debating going to NC this year - but, if it means a chance to meet you, I might have to go after all!!!!

Re: Hotels?Sheila, I think you should have your OWN CS Meet-n-Greet....just to see who shows up! You have a following...you do realize that? ;) It's been amazing to me to see how you've grown in your business in the last year!

Re: Hotels?OH!! I would so be there!;)

Re: Hotels?We did Hotwire.com last year and got a room at the Holiday Inn downtown for $70 a night - 4 in a room, within walking distance to the Sheraton - saved big time $$$$$. We will do Hotwire.com again this year, I'm sure. You just type in the area - I think we did Magnificant Mile.

Re: Hotels?It'll take pretty close to a miracle for me to get to NC this year. We're traveling to Finland 7/20-8/6, and it's a tad close to the dates for NC. But, stranger things have happened...

Re: Hotels?We had a fiasco last year, and I went to conference not knowing who I was staying with. I ended up staying w/ 3 sweet ladies who were part of our group, but not locally (from CA, I think). It was really nice. I got to know lots of different people that way but also was able to split and do my own thing when I wanted to.

Re: Hotels?I agree with those that just share a room with one other person! But that is me! I too enjoy the quiet, so you want to choose a roommate that is similar to you in personality and desire of quiet at the end of a wild day. Then what we did, having only one bathroom, is one showered in the evening so the other had it in the morning. We met up with others to see the sites and eat if we chose and split our taxi fee's, eating out expenses etc... and stayed at The Congressman I think (sorry first year was last year) but loved the walking and seeing all the sites-beautiful area.

Re: Hotels?Last year I also did Hotwire and got the James of Chicago for $99/night. It was a 8 block walk, but it was AWESOME!!! 4 stars, close to everything and the walk was great with having to sit all day!!

smart2cook said:
I agree with those that just share a room with one other person! But that is me! I too enjoy the quiet, so you want to choose a roommate that is similar to you in personality and desire of quiet at the end of a wild day. Then what we did, having only one bathroom, is one showered in the evening so the other had it in the morning. We met up with others to see the sites and eat if we chose and split our taxi fee's, eating out expenses etc... and stayed at The Congressman I think (sorry first year was last year) but loved the walking and seeing all the sites-beautiful area.

Yes choose compatible roomates. I love one of my clustermates but she's an early bird and rest of us were not - so she was up before the Rooster on her laptop, talking on the phone. If I could have thrown her out the window I would have! (Said with love - as she may read this. LOL)

We had up to 6 in our room for one night (airmattress). As much as I love to be frugal....if I can swing it with less peeps I will for not only 'quiet' but bed space. LOL I'm used to a queen or king by myself and to go to a FULL and SHARE...I don't sleep well or I take my half out of the middle. :D

We stayed at Hotel 71, just 2 blocks from a Conf Hotel. Really liked it but I did miss the bus being outside the door at the Sheraton where I stayed the year before. Last years heat was brutal and at the end of the day I just wanted to be back in my room for a little while without the hike. And the humidity did nothing for my hair. LOL :angel:

Re: Hotels?Poor Sheila, LOL, thinking about how she is looking for some peace and of how I too am one of the "followers" LOL. She really shouldn't tell any of us where she is staying, register under a different name and hum, when she is crossing that stage-she will feel the love!!!!

Re: Hotels?Most of our cluster has stayed at the Essex Hotel which is across the street from the Chicago Hilton. I've made reservations at The Chicago Hilton because I'm using Hilton points to get the room.

Melissa78 said:
Yes choose compatible roomates. I love one of my clustermates but she's an early bird and rest of us were not - so she was up before the Rooster on her laptop, talking on the phone. If I could have thrown her out the window I would have! (Said with love - as she may read this. LOL)
I have to say that I think that's a little rude. She could have gone down to a common area to take care of this while everybody is sleeping. We are always nice and quiet in the morning and leaving lights off except by the door when getting ready until everybody is up. Sometimes it's not just about compatible roommates but more about respect for those around you. I've roomed with different people all 3 years that I've gone and never had a single problem!

Melissa78 said:

wadesgirl said:
I have to say that I think that's a little rude. She could have gone down to a common area to take care of this while everybody is sleeping. We are always nice and quiet in the morning and leaving lights off except by the door when getting ready until everybody is up. Sometimes it's not just about compatible roommates but more about respect for those around you. I've roomed with different people all 3 years that I've gone and never had a single problem!

How rude! I'm an early bird. I'm always the first one up. Generally I'm completely ready (hair and makeup done, dressed, devotions done) by the time my roommates get up. I'm sure they'd tell you, though, that I never disturb them. I take everything into the bathroom the night before, so I'm not rummaging through things while they're trying to sleep. [Getting down off my soapbox now.]

Melissa78 said:
We stayed at Hotel 71, just 2 blocks from a Conf Hotel. Really liked it but I did miss the bus being outside the door at the Sheraton where I stayed the year before. Last years heat was brutal and at the end of the day I just wanted to be back in my room for a little while without the hike. And the humidity did nothing for my hair. LOL :angel:

I was at Hotel 71 last year too and loved it. We walked to the Sheraton to catch the bus and then on the last day realized the Hyatt was literlly less than 2 minutes away. Hoping the Hyatt is a conference hotel again because we are going to try to stay at Hotel 71 again. :chef:

heather223 said:
I was at Hotel 71 last year too and loved it. We walked to the Sheraton to catch the bus and then on the last day realized the Hyatt was literlly less than 2 minutes away. Hoping the Hyatt is a conference hotel again because we are going to try to stay at Hotel 71 again. :chef:

Yes the Hyatt was only about 2 blocks. Exit out of Hotel 71, go around the corner to the traffic light and then up 2. ;) I'm not sure where I'll stay this year. TO get the great rate for Hotel 71 you need to pay for all days up front vs just the first night. My funds aren't like they were last year so we'll see. My fav was the bathroom that the sink(S) were outside of the toilet/shower/tub area and the size of the rooms. Oh and QUEEN beds vs full. ;)

heather223 said:

Which Hyatt are you talking about? The Hyatt @ McCormick Place is offered this year and the only NC hotel near Hotel 71 is the Sheraton. As far as I can see (mapping the distance b/t the Sheraton and 71) it's a 10 min walk.

Re: Hotels?Looking at condos!

ChefCKHall said:
Looking at condos!

What?! You must share the info w/ me!!! :)

Liquid Sky said:
What?! You must share the info w/ me!!! :)
Want to stay with us?

ChefCKHall said:
Want to stay with us?

If you convince my hubby that I have to go, I'll come stay with you :)

ChefCKHall said:
Want to stay with us?

I'd love to! I will have another consultant w/ me tho. Would that be a problem?

Re: Hotels?Hey BFF! Let me get a total of gals from ABQ and see how big a place we can get! Right now I am at 4 including myself but there are more...just getting them to commit is taking a bit o'time!

CK

ChefCKHall said:
Hey BFF! Let me get a total of gals from ABQ and see how big a place we can get! Right now I am at 4 including myself but there are more...just getting them to commit is taking a bit o'time!

CK

Totally understand! I have 4 or so that expressed interest but the commitment part is another story. lol. We'll keep in touch. :)

Re: Hotels?This is my first time attending conference. I have a hotel room at the Chicago South loop Hotel, right across the street from the conference center. I leave in Fort Worth, TX. If you need a roomate email me at [email protected].

Minie28 said:
This is my first time attending conference. I have a hotel room at the Chicago South loop Hotel, right across the street from the conference center. I leave in Fort Worth, TX. If you need a roomate email me at [email protected].
This is my 3rd conference, and I've been to Chicago several times, and that hotel didn't sound familiar to me. Plus I know that McCormick is surrounded by some major highways and the lake- not alot around it, except the HYatt which attaches to it. Looking at your hotel's website, that hotel is not across the street from McCormick Place. It isn't even what I'd considered close- especially if you are thinking you can walk there. Their website says its several minutes.There are a few folks who have need of roommates at the conference hotels. The ones PC has all have shuttles to/from the conference center. You may want to make sure of your getting to and from conference or you'll be surprised. I looked at the Chicago South's website map for their location, and McCormick Center is along the Lakefront....you'd have to get across the Stevenson Expwy (MAJOR HIGHWAY!!), Metra tracks, and Lakeshore Dr.Still saw these guys looking for roommates, if you decide you'd rather ride a free shuttle to Mc.Center:
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f107/roommate-needed-fill-room-sheraton-hotel-68896/
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f107/roommates-needed-chicago-hilton-68790/
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f107/room-2-more-hilton-2-bathrooms-68885/

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • PampMomof3
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies