• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Info on Nonstick Cookware & Health Issues.

In summary, the conversation is about nonstick cookware and its potential health risks. The participants discuss the difference between Teflon and other nonstick coatings, and mention that Pampered Chef's nonstick cookware is coated with DuPont's Autograph 2, not Teflon. They also mention the misconception about aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. The conversation ends with a question about the finish of a Ginger bread mold.
jrny2001
Silver Member
I am looking for any info on facts regarding nonstick cookware and health related risks (cancer, alzheimers etc.), or the fact that there ARE NOT any.

Had a customer bring this up at a show last night. I wish I would have had the info then to dispute this claim. Any help will be appreciated.

There was a letter on here awhile ago - I can't take time to look for it right now - maybe later.

Basically, there is no way at the temperatures we cook at for anything in nonstick coating to be toxic...

Of course, if you are cooking at 1000 degrees, everything around you is toxic!

Here you go...

Click on files on the bar above...

Type Teflon in the search box...

You will find the files...

Hope that helps!

Look at this...

Attachments

• Nonstick cookware concerns addressed.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 353
Thank you so much! I sent a copy of the teflon info to the guest from last night and printed a copy to keep in my kit.

This site is the greatest!!! I'm so glad I found it.:D

When presenting this, keep in mind two things...
1. Teflon is a name brand for non-stick coating, it is not the generic substance. All pans that are sprayed with Teflon are non-stick, but not all pans that are non-stick are sprayed with Teflon. Kinds of like the difference between Kleenex and tissues...
2. PC's non-stick cookware is NOT coated with Teflon! Ours has DuPont's Autograph 2 coating, which is different than Teflon! (But, don't ask me how... I haven't researched that yet!)

And as for the aluminum...some think that aluminum plays a part in alzheimers. Well, the process of hard anodization seals the surface of the aluminum and no metal will release into your foods as you cook.

Check the alzheimers website as well. There is a PDF on there that states that there is no evidence that aluminum plays a role in alzheimers. I'll attach it here for you. I did some online research on this and people take in more aluminum into their bodies from using deodorant than using any kind of cookware. Hope the info helps!

Attachments

• Aluminum Information.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 443
katie0128 said:
When presenting this, keep in mind two things...
1. Teflon is a name brand for non-stick coating, it is not the generic substance. All pans that are sprayed with Teflon are non-stick, but not all pans that are non-stick are sprayed with Teflon. Kinds of like the difference between Kleenex and tissues...
2. PC's non-stick cookware is NOT coated with Teflon! Ours has DuPont's Autograph 2 coating, which is different than Teflon! (But, don't ask me how... I haven't researched that yet!)

Also, remember our non stick coating is baked on not sprayed so it is more durable and not going to flake off - the reason for our lifetime guarantee.
Hope this helps!
Missy

finley1991 said:
people take in more aluminum into their bodies from using deodorant than using any kind of cookware. Hope the info helps!
That's ANOTHER thing - I had to convince my cousin it was all right to wear an antipersperant - she was convinced it'd cause breast cancer.Urban Legends Reference Pages (snopes.com) is my best friend!

I am new to pampered chef,and own a Ginger bread mold. It has a yellowish film over most of it,is this the normal finish for these heavy stoneware molds> If it is,should it be all over,or just on certain areas?Thanks!

It's probably the beginning seasoning. I'd scrub it well with hot water and baking soda just to be sure.

1. What are the potential health issues associated with nonstick cookware?

Nonstick cookware is made with a chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) which has been linked to health concerns such as cancer, thyroid disease, and developmental problems in children. PFOA can also be released into the air and potentially cause respiratory issues.

2. Are all nonstick cookware products made with PFOA?

No, not all nonstick cookware products are made with PFOA. Some companies have developed nonstick coatings that do not contain PFOA, such as ceramic and silicone coatings. However, it is important to read the label or contact the manufacturer to confirm if the product is PFOA-free.

3. How can I tell if my nonstick cookware contains PFOA?

If your nonstick cookware was manufactured before 2013, it likely contains PFOA. However, newer products may also contain PFOA if they were made with leftover materials. To be sure, check the label or contact the manufacturer for information on the materials used in the nonstick coating.

4. Are there any safe alternatives to nonstick cookware?

Yes, there are several safe alternatives to nonstick cookware. Stainless steel, cast iron, and enamel-coated cookware are all non-toxic options. Additionally, you can use natural oils such as coconut or avocado oil to create a nonstick surface when cooking.

5. How can I safely dispose of my old nonstick cookware?

If your nonstick cookware contains PFOA, it should not be thrown in the regular trash as it can release harmful chemicals into the environment. Instead, check with your local waste management facility for specific instructions on how to dispose of PFOA-containing products. If the cookware is PFOA-free, it can be disposed of in the regular trash.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefani
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Cookie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefbilyeu
  • PCSarahjm