1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Need a dessert recipe - has anyone done the taffy apple tartlets?

1. erinhoward

erinhoward Novice Member

Hi - I have a show in a month Saturday night at 7 pm, I would like to do a dessert. I am quite new so I mostly only have the starter kit products, but I could probably borrow most anything from my director if I needed to.

I'm thinking about the taffy apple tartlets which are in the latest Season's Best recipe book. It uses all starter-kit products including the mini-muffin pan.

Has anyone done this at a show, if so how was it?

Or, do you recommend any other dessert recipes that are good for a beginner?

Oct 2, 2009
  2. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Senior Member Gold Member

I have not done this recipe however, one of the new girls in our cluster did..and she raved about it..she absolutely loved it

It was yummy too..she brought it to our meeting..LOL

3. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

Ummm... my husband requests them pretty much every single day once apple season starts. They are nothing short of amazing!!! :D

Oct 2, 2009
  4. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

See, I did not like these at all. Maybe I did something wrong, I keep saying that I'm going to try them again, guess I'll have to, because the first time was not a hit. As far as a recipe for your show with the starter kit, Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies! They are awesome! And easy!

Oct 2, 2009
  5. colegrovet

colegrovet Veteran Member Gold Member

I've been making them since I got back from NC. I have had past hostesses ask me to make them, so they could take them fo functions they are going to.. I have friends invite me over and request them when I come..

Oct 2, 2009
  6. kdangel518

I could easily eat 5-6 in a sitting :p I have to make double batches!

Oct 2, 2009
  7. patty42240

patty42240 Member

I have made these at shows and make them at home quite a bit. I did make 2 changes to the recipe that I feel works better for me and is quicker. One is that I do not put a half of a Caramel in the bottom of each one. I use fat free Caramel Dip instead of the butterscotch caramel sauce. The dip is thicker and it just appeals to me and my family/ guests more. When I do this at shows I always have the steps written down on index cards and label them steps 1, 2, and 3 and hand them out to three different people and have them choose a partner to help them.

Oct 2, 2009
  8. kdangel518

I always use the "nut-free alternate topping" (chopped pretzels) instead of chopped peanuts and I LOVE them that way- so good!

Oct 2, 2009
  9. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I think that it was the caramels that totally turned us off to these, so maybe I'll try the caramel dip instead, and it didn't have a lot of taste, but I can't remember what kind of apple that I used... any suggestions on the apple type?

Oct 2, 2009
  10. colegrovet

colegrovet Veteran Member Gold Member

I use the caramel bit rather than the caramel squares, the bits' melt great. I drop 4-5 in the bottom of the crust before I add the apple filling.

Oct 2, 2009
  11. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

We didn't like them either. And I've had them a couple times when others have made them, and didn't care for them then either.

Personally, I think it's too much crust, and not enough apple. If I'm going to go to that much trouble, I'd rather make a caramel apple pie!

Oct 2, 2009
  12. jackieblue

jackieblue Member

*Love* them warm. They are just ok when room temp.

Oct 2, 2009
  13. pc_jessica

pc_jessica Advanced Member

we love them here too!! and i use the caramel dip as well, it is sooo much easier!

Oct 2, 2009
  14. patty42240

patty42240 Member

I use the granny smith apples...the tartness makes all the difference in the world! And I am loving the idea of using pretzels instead of peanuts...going to definitely try that. Usually when I make them I alternate rows with peanuts and rows without...keeps everyone happy!

Oct 2, 2009
  15. Melissa78

Melissa78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Have not had them but LOVE LOVE LOVE the Taffy Apple Pizza. It's always gone in two seconds and a recipe I'd like to use at fall shows (along with Grandmas apple crisp). The TA Pizza is def an oldie but goodie! I had it at my first show I went to 11yrs ago and people still mention it to me. (It's in All the Best CB for anyone who is curious)

Oct 2, 2009
  16. chefSherry

chefSherry Novice Member Gold Member

I like using the caramel or cinammon sprinkles for the topping - and I use the caramel bits too. You can find them by the chocolate chips.

Oct 4, 2009
Have something to add?