• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recipe Selection - Frustration!

Brownies difficult to make?No, I find them quite easy to make. I just need to have the ingredients ready and pop them in the oven.
ChefNic
Am I the only one that LABORS over what to make at shows!??
I've been making the same recipe the entire month..it makes it easier on me...and my host never really seem to mind.

But I want one recipe to be done when guest arrive...preferably the Appetizer...so they can begin eating.
And then demo the dessert...and at the end of the demo..it is immediately ready to eat...
So... something like Taffy Apple Pizza...Creamy Mint Brownie Wedges...etc...are perfect.
I'm having a particularly tough time this month...
I'm sure once I decide, it will be like " WHY was I so stressed!" But for now... I"M TIRED of looking at cookbooks!

Anyone else feel my pain? or is recipe selection a walk in the park for you all?
Thanks!

I just demo one recipe, that's it.

I ask my hosts if they want an appetizer, main dish, or dessert and then I give them a handful of choices from there. For appetizer, I steer them towards the Three Onion Goat Cheese Tart. For main dish, we do a ring, wreath, or braid. Desserts are much more open. This month I'm pushing Molten Chocolate Skillet Brownie.

I will be doing a microwave cake in the Fluted Pan at ALL my shows this month to show off our Stoneware.

I am totally on the other end.... I love looking through cookbooks for recipes.

I do ask the hostess what she would like, in the way of appetizer, entree, or dessert, then give her a few suggestions. Besides that, I am up for anything.

I am a true foodie... love eating it, love playing with it, love shopping for it... well you get the idea.

If you ever needs suggestions, ask me.

Ok... What appetizer to go with Molten Sk. Brown.???
That is what I'm planning on making..it will be in the oven...so I want an appet. to demo and eat right away...Cool Veg .Pizza is out.. I don't like it and don't want to offer it...sorry to those CVP lovers everywhere!

I thought about Tapas...one host Doesn't like olives, which was the biggest hit at my last show! No one seemed to like the marinara topping, and the pesto wasn't used much either...
I am wondering about Shrimp Wonton Cups..I"d make the cups at my house.
I thought about Stir-Fry...I did these back in June to not heat up kitchens...and was lucky that my little burner cord reached to the outlet at all the shows...whew!! LOL So I'm afraid to do that...my ext.cord wouldn't work with the burner...don't know why..

I still...do two recipes... when I started...it was ...DEMO TWO RECIPES>.. that was just the way it was...
THen it cut back to ...well, Demo one, have the other ready.
Now it is demo only one...that's it! How easy! and wonderful!
But I'm afraid my hosts and guests..who come to PC shows anticipating lots of yummy FOOD... would be disappointed...KWIM?
Old habits are hard to break...my director... a SED... told me she still does the same thing as I do...two recipes.
I may start asking my hosts... if they are open to just one recipe...great!

But I also don't want them to feel like they have to make something in addition to what i'm making....Another benefit to hosting PC...I cook and do dishes, they don't have to! :)

I demo one recipe unless it is an introductory show for a new consultant. I tell the host that it would be a good idea to have something opposite from the recipe - if I am making something sweet, then have something savory or vise versa. I also tell them to make it easy like chips and dip. I'll even supply the spice for the dip. I can also supply an easy recipe for an apple dip, if they want it. I would rather spend my time showing the products and having the guests play with them and talking with the guests.

Oh, and I usually pick my monthly recipe by the host special for whatever month I'm trying to book.

When I did a 2nd recipe ready to go with the Molten Choc SKillet Brownie for a special hostess, I made Pizza Dip in the Mini Baker. Everyone LOVED it!

I had it all made when I got there and just popped it in the oven.

DebbieJ said:
When I did a 2nd recipe ready to go with the Molten Choc SKillet Brownie for a special hostess, I made Pizza Dip in the Mini Baker. Everyone LOVED it!

I had it all made when I got there and just popped it in the oven.

So you buy the ingredients... prep at home and bring it. That would be easy!
I've made the pizza dip, both at shows and at home, and it is good, and you're right, everyone loves it!

Do you find the Molten... is a good demo? and I don't have the Micro cookers, had the small one and never cared for it... so I melted the water and choc. sauce in the batter bowl, and had a hard time pouring it in a circular motion...it ended up just being poured, and then there weren't really 'tunnels'...
The batter bowl doesn't always pour nicely with liquidy things...better for thicker things, like panecake batter...
What was your demo?

I am with Kate. I only make one recipe. I have plenty of time to focus on all of the products and that is what we sell, not the recipes.

I have plenty of hosts who used to host shows when two recipes was the way a show was done. I have not had any problems doing just one. As a matter of fact, most like it because it keeps my demo time down.

I have been making the Three Cheese Garden Pizza lately. It is so good. I always make sure I am using products that are on special or will be for the months for which I am booking.

Lisa

I pick mine according to what shows the special of the month. I did two when I first started but when the new year started I begam only doing 1 recipe. I tell my host if they want to have something else that is fine, but the show is really for sampling not providing a meal. I am trying to cut down on the lenght of my shows for the benefit of the guest and myself and my family.

I think the 1 recipe vs 2 may be different according to location??? Whenever I try to just do one recipe, the host ends up making a ton of other food, and then the focus is totally off PC, and on the food she made. For instance, Monday I had a show, and I was only demoing the Tomato Basil Squares.....for stoneware sale month. When I got there, the host was making a Taco Ring, had a veggie platter sitting out, and 2 different desserts. Her comment to me was "I knew if you were only making one thing that wouldn't be enough - my friends like to eat". Well, all evening, people just kept commenting on how good her brownies were, and even though all of her food was PC recipes, and served on PC, it totally detracted from the demo. This is a common occurance at shows, and I have pretty much decided that I need to do 2 recipes - having one made ahead and finishing it at the show, and then demoing the other. I had a great January, and great response to my shows and I did a "comfort food" theme. I made beer bread ahead, and had a skillet cake in the oven when guests arrived and the demoed the Smashed Potato soup. THIS kept their attention on me and PC, and I could talk about all the food they were eating and how it was made etc......much better control of the show that way! I've decided to switch to only doing the 30 minute Chicken Meal show for the rest of my shows this month, and doing a dessert with it - I seem to have better sales, better bookings, and all round better shows when I have more food involved.

What I do is....Have the garlic pull apart bread ready when I'm ready to start the show, so then, the guests are eating when I start. Then I demo 1 recipe. I pretty much do the same recipe for the entire season (obviously, with an exception from time to time). This season it has been the Harvest Chicken Salad - shows a ton of tools and everyone loves it.

ltkacz said:
Have the garlic pull apart bread ready when I'm ready to start the show, so then, the guests are eating when I start. Then I demo 1 recipe. I pretty much do the same recipe for the entire season (obviously, with an exception from time to time). This season it has been the Harvest Chicken Salad - shows a ton of tools and everyone loves it.

What do you do for shows booked off a previous party? Do they want something different then what they had before? (Sometimes guests overlap from one of your parties to the next)

I never demo two recipes...that was only at first, since that is the way it was done then.
I prefer to use products if they are the GS...or HS for the month I want to book.
This month...Stoneware...I want to use stoneware, of course. BUT now that I've chosen my recipes...JUST ABOUT AN HOUR AGO!... and I'm not using stoneware...I have found that most people don't need demo with stoneware...they know about it... and if it's the special, I will definitely talk about it some, tell the benefits, pass one around(Mini Baker), and maybe play a stoneware game or trivia thing. I ask those who have stones to tell what they love about it...it works, they go on and on about the benefits, and guests believe their friends more than they'll believe me.

I've finally chosen my recipes...Molten Skillet Brownie(cooking while guest arrive) and Shrimp Wonton Cups(Demo)... and I'll play that "Purse Game" to talk about stoneware...and ask people why they love stones so much.

The beauty of this business is we can all do things how ever works best for us. And if people go to different shows,they get a different experience out of it.
I'm not gonna lie... It would be so much easier to only do one recipe the entire show...just the demo...But I like that I can say..."You don't have to cook or do dishes" it's a great booking benefit! People see it is easy for them to host!

I am in the same boat. I have a show on Sunday and I still have no clue what to do since I am not a cook. You all know I have been stressing about this for weeks. It is starting to hurt my organized head

Jilly - what have you been making at home? I know you have been practicing! You need to get the info to the host asap unless you are providing the ingredients!

I feel your pain!! That's why I started this thread!
I will say... I finally decided TODAY what to make for my shows -I decided on Molten Skillet Brownie- prep asap when I get to host's house... Then the Shrimp Wonton Cups (Celebrate cookbook) I'll make the wontonCUPS at my house, and just bring them...DEMO the filling...then they bake for only like 6 minutes after the demo... I can handle that! :)

I will say...at my shows back in October..I made Pull Apart bread(had guests help as they came)... served it with pizza sauce in SA for dipping, and Microplane-parmesan cheese after it came out of oven. Then as the demo I made Creamy Mint Brownie Wedges (S/S '02? -not sure I'd have to check) . I had the brownie made at my house, brought to host's house then added the topping... very easy! And talked more about products, etc..
That was an easy show!
Good luck with it!

jenniferknapp said:
What do you do for shows booked off a previous party? Do they want something different then what they had before? (Sometimes guests overlap from one of your parties to the next)

My biggest hit has been the Antipasto Veggie Pizza. With the exception of 3 parties, everyone else wanted it, even guests who booked from the show where they just ate it. The other big hit has been the Strawberry Cheesecake Microwave Cake in the fluted stone. I know it doesn't show many products but I have sold more fluted stones that way because people cannot beleiev it only took 12-15 minutes in the microwave.

I am so glad to hear that others stress out about what to make for their shows. I was awake until 2 a.m. the other night just thinking about show recipes! Like the one recipe idea. Always think I have to have plenty of food. Like to do quick recipes like the Micro-cooker cake. Want to try the Soup Mug cakes too. Have done the finishing touches on the Tuxedo Brownies and finished out the Baked Alaska cake. Those simple but fancy idea really WOW the gals. But also want to show the stoneware. So I will do a Mexican Calzone for one and am not sure about Monday's show yet. Have gotten some great ideas from you gals! THANKS a bunch!!!

on the 1 recipe vs 2 topic. I tell my host we are providing samples not a meal.
I ask them to purchase inexpensive paper goods for quicker clean up.
I tell them if they have too much food guests may talk themselves out of hosting when they start adding up the expense in their head.
I also suggest no sodas (I tell them of course we want to show the FQSP with homemade lemonade or tea) but buying soda to please all their friends tastes does add up and they are left with 6 half used bottles.

At my director's show that I observed she did a demo of the touchdown taco dip and then did a micro cake in the rice cooker. She had the cake premixed with the frosting in and everything. All she did was show everyone the cake mixed inside and popped it in the oven. That second recipe cost her $2 and she sold a TON of rice cookers!!

My director picks 3 recipe sets...
Low Calorie -- maybe a salad, and simple dessert
Brunch
Regular -- Appetizer/ Dessert

She uses the same set for 6 months, and let's her host choose. Then she doesn't have to think about it.

gilliandanielle said:
At my director's show that I observed she did a demo of the touchdown taco dip and then did a micro cake in the rice cooker. She had the cake premixed with the frosting in and everything. All she did was show everyone the cake mixed inside and popped it in the oven. That second recipe cost her $2 and she sold a TON of rice cookers!!

Yep, I do one dish and I do a chocolate lava cake at EVERY show, its quick and cheap and the rice cooker is my #1 sold item! Shh....I've never made rice in it, only cake! :)

do you do the recipe for the fluted pan ...only in the rice cooker?

I do stress - I had a host last week that I called to confer about recipes She had picked two recipes I had never done (both easy) and had already purchased the ingredients I was nervous but everything turned out great

My Director
DebbieJ said:
I just demo one recipe, that's it.

I ask my hosts if they want an appetizer, main dish, or dessert and then I give them a handful of choices from there. For appetizer, I steer them towards the Three Onion Goat Cheese Tart. For main dish, we do a ring, wreath, or braid. Desserts are much more open. This month I'm pushing Molten Chocolate Skillet Brownie.

I will be doing a microwave cake in the Fluted Pan at ALL my shows this month to show off our Stoneware.

picks her demo and picks her dates. Very firm. I usually take somehing I"m comfortable with. I loved making the Harvest Chicken Spinach salad and was a huge hit, then came all the E COLI scares, even I"m leary on eating salads now :(

Liz

What are some tips for selecting the perfect recipe?

1. Consider the occasion or event: Think about the purpose of the meal and who you will be cooking for. This will help you narrow down the type of recipe to choose.

2. Take into account dietary restrictions: If you or your guests have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to choose a recipe that accommodates those needs.

3. Consider the difficulty level: Be honest with yourself about your cooking skills and choose a recipe that you feel comfortable tackling. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but also don't choose something too complicated that will leave you feeling frustrated.

4. Check for ingredients and equipment: Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment before starting a recipe. There's nothing more frustrating than realizing you're missing a key ingredient halfway through cooking.

5. Read reviews: Before selecting a recipe, take a look at reviews and ratings from others who have tried it. This can give you a better idea of the recipe's success and any potential modifications you may need to make.

How can I make recipe selection less overwhelming?

1. Start with a cuisine or ingredient: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of recipes available, narrow it down by focusing on a specific cuisine or ingredient you want to use.

2. Utilize cookbooks or online resources: Cookbooks and websites can provide curated collections of recipes, making it easier to choose from a smaller selection.

3. Plan ahead: Instead of trying to choose a recipe on the spot, plan your meals for the week ahead of time. This will give you more time to browse and select the perfect recipes.

4. Ask for recommendations: Reach out to friends and family for recipe recommendations. They may have a tried-and-true recipe that they can share with you.

5. Keep a list of go-to recipes: Have a list of your favorite, easy-to-make recipes that you can turn to when you're feeling overwhelmed with new options.

What should I do if I'm not happy with how a recipe turns out?

1. Identify the issue: Take a step back and figure out what went wrong. Was it a mistake in the recipe, or did you make a substitution that didn't work out?

2. Make adjustments: If there was an error in the recipe, try making adjustments to fix it. If it was a mistake on your end, take note for next time.

3. Get a second opinion: Ask someone else to taste the dish and give their feedback. They may have suggestions for improvement.

4. Don't give up: One bad experience with a recipe doesn't mean you should give up on it completely. Try it again with the adjustments you've made.

5. Reach out for help: If you're really struggling with a recipe, don't hesitate to reach out to the author or a customer service representative for assistance.

Is it okay to modify a recipe?

1. Consider the purpose of the modification: If you're making a modification to accommodate a dietary restriction or personal preference, then it's perfectly fine to do so.

2. Be cautious with major changes: If you're making significant modifications to a recipe, it may alter the outcome. Make sure to read through the recipe and understand the ingredients and techniques before making changes.

3. Keep track of modifications: If you make modifications, make sure to write them down so you can recreate the dish in the future.

4. Get creative: Don't be afraid to experiment and make a recipe your own. Just be mindful of the potential consequences of the modifications.

5. Follow your taste buds: Most importantly, trust your taste buds. If a recipe calls for an ingredient you don't like, feel free to substitute it with something you do enjoy.

How do I know if a recipe is authentic?

1. Research the source: Look into the background of the recipe and where it originated from. This can give you an idea of its authenticity.

2. Compare with other sources: If you find multiple versions of the same recipe, compare them to see if there are any major differences. The most authentic version is likely the one with the most similarities across different sources.

3. Pay attention to ingredients and techniques: Authentic recipes often use ingredients and techniques that are specific to a certain culture or cuisine.

4. Get feedback from others: If you

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lovenpc