• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent My Brother Needs Lots of Prayers

I'm just so grateful he's alive and that surgery went well.Your brother is doing well and is in a lot of pain, but is expected to make a full recovery. Please keep your prayers going and send good thoughts and vibes his way.
Kitchen2u
:(:(:(:(We got the news the mass the size of a softball is a tumor. Surgery will be Tuesday, March 3, 2009. Since surgery is imminent, they aren't doing a biopsy, just waiting for surgery.

I've only seen my brother cry 3 times in 50 years...it's heartbreaking to see. :cry:

Last edited:
(((Hugs))) Ginny! I am sorry to hear about your brother. Thoughts and prayers are coming your way!!

Oh Ginny - I'm so sorry to hear this - prayers and good thoughts for your brother and your family.

Prayers to you and your family!

Ginny~

Prayers for your brother, you, and your whole family! God will get you through this too!

{{{HUGS}}}

Prayers coming your way. ((HUGS))

Prayers being sent up...keep us posted on how things go. We pray for strength and peace for EVERYONE in your family!!!

I will be praying.

More prayers for you, your brother & his family, as well as for everyone involved in his medical care.

My prayers are coming too. I hope all turns out well.

I'll be praying.

Praying for you, him & the doctors.

You're all in my prayers!

Thanks everyone for your prayers and good thoughts/wishes. I was talking to Gary last night...he went to the Dr. because he found this lump over a year ago...the Dr said is was nothing! I hope this works out for Gary...and that Dr!

I'll be praying.

Okay folks...now I'm scared too...

The surgeon said "I'll clear my schedule for your surgery"

You KNOW it's bad when a surgeon will do that! Keep the prayers coming...thanks!

Ginny I am so sorry for your news about your brother. I will pray for the surgeon to hands guided by our Lord and Savior through out your brothers ordeal. I pray for a complete comfort and quick healing.

Surgery is this coming Tuesday, March 3. The surgeon, oncologist, primary care Dr all agreed...this is URGENT and surgery is needed ASAP.

The tumor is actually larger than a softball. It's not looking good at all. It has a very irregular shape and protrudes towards the inside. It's not attached to the liver. It seems like it is connected to the intestines at some points :-(

Please keep us in your prayers...

You and your family will be in my prayers. As will the surgeon.

Oh Ginny, big hugs hun! And prayers coming your way for you, your brother and all your family.

Ginny your family is in my thoughts & prayers. Super big Hug!!!

Re: My brother needs LOTS of prayers - Post Surgery UpdateAfter a long day yesterday, Gary's surgery much much longer than anticipated. He went in an hour early, so we thought, "yeah, ou an hour early..." NOT. The surgeon said it wasn't as "cut and dry" of a surgery as he thought.

They took out the large tumor plus a good portion of his stomach. We have to play the waiting game now...biopsy.

Gary was in the recovery room for 4 hours longer than anticipated. His body tends not to do well with pain medication...just doesn't work. So when he finally came up to his room, he was still in a LOT of pain:cry:, poor guy. It's not just the pain from the surgery, bu he's been experiencing excrutiating back pain and has been on 1000 gm motrin for the past couple of months and had to stop taking it for the surgery. So he was in pain before the surgery even started.

Off to the hospital this morning, I'm HOPING he's a little more comfortable.

I would appreciate more payers for Gary....thanks!

Oh, Ginny I feel so sorry for your brother. I had extreme pain just from having my gall bladder removed I can't even imagine what your brother is going through.

I pray he can get some comfort. Hopefully they can at least help him sleep.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I got to talk with his surgeon yesterday. The tumor was the size of a LARGE grapefruit, not a softball. Ended up taking 2" of the stomach and part of his intestines. The blood vessels feeding the tumor were VERY LARGE (several and about 1/3-1/4" in diameter, that's the reason for the tumor growing so quickly). The tumor was right next to the main aortic blood vessel too. LOTS of blood lost, but the surgeon said Gary's has his age on his side and he can stand to be a little anemic...his body will replenish instead of having to get a transfusion. We won't hear about the biopsy results for 2-3 days...keep you fingers crossed.

They got him yesterday to walk a tiny bit. From his bed to the door. Of course, lots of pain. His body is "waking up" so his feeling a lot more pain now too.

He still has his sense of humor...he asked if it was a boy or girl (he's on the maternity/surgery overflow unit. They play a lullaby everytime a baby is born. So the nieces/nephews have named the tumor "Gertie (grapefruit)" and she was 2.2 pounds.

Kitchen2u said:
Thanks!

UPDATE:

I got to talk with his surgeon yesterday. The tumor was the size of a LARGE grapefruit, not a softball. Ended up taking 2" of the stomach and part of his intestines. The blood vessels feeding the tumor were VERY LARGE (several and about 1/3-1/4" in diameter, that's the reason for the tumor growing so quickly). The tumor was right next to the main aortic blood vessel too. LOTS of blood lost, but the surgeon said Gary's has his age on his side and he can stand to be a little anemic...his body will replenish instead of having to get a transfusion. We won't hear about the biopsy results for 2-3 days...keep you fingers crossed.

They got him yesterday to walk a tiny bit. From his bed to the door. Of course, lots of pain. His body is "waking up" so his feeling a lot more pain now too.

He still has his sense of humor...he asked if it was a boy or girl (he's on the maternity/surgery overflow unit. They play a lullaby everytime a baby is born. So the nieces/nephews have named the tumor "Gertie (grapefruit)" and she was 2.2 pounds.

Ginny,

Glad to hear the good report so far! We'll keep praying that the tumor is benign.

Congratulations on Gertie! That is so funny - it's good that the nieces and nephews can be there to keep things lighthearted too. We took DS with us yesterday with my Mom too - he makes her laugh, and it made things better. Kids are great!

I'll keep him in my prayers!

I'm sooo sorry for everything your brother is going through. That is soo horrible! I will be praying you guys get good results back from the biopsy!! GL...keep us posted!!

I will continue to pray for your brother.

What a roller coaster ride...I usually like them, but not this one.

After being in the hospital for 15 days (which originally they said it would be a 4-5 day stay), Gary is home. Pain control is still an issue...poor guy. The second night home, he had a terrible nightmare...jumped out of bed and hit his head on the night stand...cut his head open...about a 1-1/2" cut. The third day, he got a swollen upper lip...which we "think" he got bit by something (it was HUGEEEEEEEE!!!)...nothing else was affected, Dr (lives around the corner) came by and check him out...everything else was okay.

Since being out of the hospital, he's only had 1 good day. He LOVEDDDD the Japanese soup I made him (homemade miso soup) ~ he said it was the best he's ever had! Woohoo!

Today, my parents are on "Gary duty" and staying with him since my sister-in-law could not take off work. I have duty tomorrow...I think my parents and I will be switching off and on for Debbie (SIL). Today hasn't been a good day for him...poor guy!

Still have not heard what "type" of cancer he has. I'll ask Debbie when the oncologist appt is when I go over tomorrow...

I'm sorry your brother is having such a terrible time with all of this. I hope all goes well and he starts feeling better soon!

1. What type of tumor does your brother have?

The specific type of tumor has not been determined yet, as a biopsy has not been performed. However, based on the size of the tumor, it is likely a form of cancerous tumor.

2. Why is surgery being done without a biopsy?

In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove a tumor before it can be biopsied. This may be due to the size or location of the tumor, or if there is concern that it may be malignant and needs to be removed quickly.

3. How long will the surgery take?

The length of the surgery will depend on the size and location of the tumor, as well as any potential complications. Your brother's medical team will be able to give a more accurate estimate after the surgery.

4. What are the risks associated with the surgery?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks such as bleeding, infection, and adverse reactions to anesthesia. Your brother's medical team will have taken these risks into consideration and will take steps to minimize them.

5. What can I do to support my brother during this difficult time?

There are many ways to support your brother, such as offering emotional support, helping with practical tasks, and advocating for his needs during his treatment. It's important to also take care of yourself and seek support from others during this challenging time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefa
Replies
Views
nikked
  • climbercanoe3
  • General Chat
Replies