• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mini Jibaritos: What Can Be Used Instead of Mayo?

almost like jibaritos.These are mini versions of jibaritos, which are appetizers made with steak, plantains, and cheese. They are cooked on a griddle and then flattened so they are easy to eat. They are typically served with mayonnaise and lettuce on the side.This recipe calls for a beef steak, green plantains, a plum tomato, mayonnaise, and cheddar cheese. The steak is seasoned with a Chipotle Rub and then it is sliced into 1/4 inch pieces. The plantains are sliced on the bias into 24 slices and then they are sprayed with vegetable oil. The steak is then placed on the griddle and it is cooked for 4-6 minutes per side
K_Jurich
Thanks to my Beautiful Newsletter provided by Miss Joy, Tasty Tidbits. One of my customers has a question about the mini jibaritos. I have never made them but she said that she doesn't like mayo so is there something else she can use? Anyone got an answer for this one? :confused:

I haven't made them, either, but what about ranch dressing or sour cream, maybe?

Thats what I was thinking too.

My director doesn't like Mayo, and she always just subs Sour Cream.

Thanks you!

What are mini jibaritos?

jrstephens said:
What are mini jibaritos?
I was wondering the same thing!

I don't think anyone's going to tell us, LOL!

Maybe Joy will tell us?

Here you go (it's in Una Muestra); you can see the English translation of this cookbook under CC.

Mini Jibaritos

8 ounces beef sirloin steak, sliced 1/4-inch-thick (aguayon)
1 tablespoon Chipotle Rub
2 green plantains, peeled
1 plum tomato
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced lettuce

Sprinkle steak evenly with rub; place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate. Using Santoku Knife, cut plantains on the bias into twenty-four 1/4-inch slices. Lightly spray Double Burner Griddle with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until hot. Arrange plantain slices on griddle; cook 4-6 minutes, turning once. Remove from griddle and flatten with flat side of Meat Tenderizer. Return to griddle; cook an additional 4 minutes, turning once. Remove plantains from griddle; keep warm.

Meanwhile, core and seed tomato with Core & More; dice tomato. Combine mayonnaise and garlic pressed with Garlic Press in Prep Bowl; mix well and set aside.
Remove steak from bag; discard bag. Spray griddle with oil. Place steak on griddle; cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove from griddle and cut into 1-inch pieces.

To assemble, spread 1 teaspoon garlic mayonnaise on one side of each plantain slice using Small Spreader. Top evenly with steak, cheese, lettuce and tomato.
Yield: 24 jibaritos Nutrients per serving: (2 jibaritos): Calories 160, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 170 mg, Fiber less than 1 g
©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2008 - This recipe was developed and tested in The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens by professional home economists.

Thanks Diane!! I think we were feeling left out, HA!:D

Sorry to come in late to this thread guys! June is national Beef Steak month, so I chose the Mini Jibaritos recipe to highlight the steak. :)

If you watch Top Chef on Bravo, it almost sounds like some of those appetizers they made on the first Puerto Rico show...

Related to Mini Jibaritos: What Can Be Used Instead of Mayo?

1. What exactly are mini jibaritos?

Mini jibaritos are small Puerto Rican sandwiches made with fried plantains instead of bread. They are traditionally filled with meat, cheese, and other toppings.

2. Can you use something other than mayo in mini jibaritos?

Yes, you can definitely use something other than mayo in mini jibaritos. Some popular alternatives include avocado, mustard, or aioli.

3. Are there any vegan options for mini jibaritos?

Absolutely! You can use vegan mayo or make your own sauce using blended cashews, nutritional yeast, and spices to replace the mayo in mini jibaritos.

4. Can I use regular bread instead of plantains for mini jibaritos?

Technically, yes, but it would no longer be a jibarito. The plantains are an essential part of the dish and provide a unique flavor and texture. If you can't find plantains, you can also use green bananas as a substitute.

5. How do I make sure the plantains are cooked properly for mini jibaritos?

The key to perfectly cooked plantains for mini jibaritos is to make sure they are ripe. Look for plantains that are mostly black and soft to the touch. Then, slice them thinly and fry them until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Nep2nfly
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Nep2nfly
  • chefloretta
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
yankeeinontario
Replies