• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you had trouble with stinky microfiber towels?

can't remember if it specifically said "vinegar" or "vinegar and baking soda."...and Becky if Micah is not done potty training (sorry, forget his exact age) it works well for cleaning the clothes for those accidents...Yes, vinegar and baking soda.
jenniferlynne
I loved these towels when I first got them :love: Now they stink and I can't get the smell out of them :grumpy: I don't wash clothes every day (and I certainly don't do towels every day), so I guess they set in the utility room and build up a stink. Now everything that I wash with them also stinks :yuck: Anyone know if a little bleach will hurt them :rolleyes:

Have you tried vinegar?

Vinegar & baking soda work wonders on odors.

Are you using Dawn dish detergent? I used to use it and couldn't figure out why my laundry would seem to develope a sour smell. If I didn't do laundry right away all of it reeked.

It wasn't until I noticed my father wasn't using Dawn and asked why he switched did I finally have the answer.

I use Palmolive or whatever is on sale...not the generic for Dawn and now everything smells great!

Make sure that you rinse it out & then hang it on either the faucet or the center of the sink to air dry. I find that when I do that, rather than let it sit in the sink soaking wet, it is no longer getting that sour smell.

Are you using fabric softener? That could be contributing to the problem.

Also, I never let any type of rag sit in a wet pile. I hang them all to dry before washing to avoid this problem.

I know you are not supposed to but I put them in the washer and the dryer...even with fabric softner sheet. I think they are perfect. I wash them once a week. STILL LOVE THEM!

Using fabric softener, even a dryer sheet, will reduce the absorbancy of not only the microfiber towels, but all towels.

I never use fabric softener on any of my towels at all.

Chefgirl2 said:
Are you using Dawn dish detergent? I used to use it and couldn't figure out why my laundry would seem to develope a sour smell. If I didn't do laundry right away all of it reeked.

It wasn't until I noticed my father wasn't using Dawn and asked why he switched did I finally have the answer.

I use Palmolive or whatever is on sale...not the generic for Dawn and now everything smells great!

That is so interesting! Ya learn something new every day!

Deb, I just use a sheet in the dryer. Not regular fab. softener. In fact, I never used dryer sheets until I married. LOL. Strange.

Dryer sheets ARE fabric softener.

I vote for the vinegar too - use it ALL the time, and I mean ALL the time. It is a great natural fabric softener too.

DebbieJ said:
Dryer sheets ARE fabric softener.

I am like you I do not use any type of fabric softner on my towels. With towels I think it just moves the water around doesn't really soak up the spill! I can tell a huge difference.

yup plain white vinegar.
I keep a huge gallon jug in the laundry room, gets a stink out from anything!
I use it more than I use bleach.

and it's cheap too!

reba515 said:
yup plain white vinegar.

Ditto that - I have to keep a few around I use it so much!

reba515 said:
and it's cheap too!

...and ditto that too - I often get a few gallons when it goes on sale for 88 cents...

...and Becky if Micah is not done potty training (sorry, forget his exact age) it works well for cleaning the clothes for those accidents...

PCSarahjm said:
I am like you I do not use any type of fabric softner on my towels. With towels I think it just moves the water around doesn't really soak up the spill! I can tell a huge difference.
Fabric softener softens clothes by coating the fibers, smoothing over any rough edges. That coating renders the fibers less absorbent. That's why you should never use fabric softener (liquid or sheets) on anything you want to soak up stuff.

My sister gave me some info a few years back (and I have no idea where it is, nor where she got it) that fabric softener also tricks your body into thinking it's got more estrogen, which has been linked to breast and "female" cancers.

reba515 said:
yup plain white vinegar.

Does it not just smell like vinegar? I believe you all that this works. It just sounds so strange. Who would have thought to try this. :rolleyes:

pamperedposey said:
Does it not just smell like vinegar? I believe you all that this works. It just sounds so strange. Who would have thought to try this. :rolleyes:

Use a cup or two in a load of laundry, doesn't stink like vinegar - water dilutes it in the end.

Do you add the vinegar with the detergent or in the bleach cup, or in the softener cup?

dianevill said:
Do you add the vinegar with the detergent or in the bleach cup, or in the softener cup?

I just dump it in the main part with some detergent (I use a little less detergent).

I have invested in the "dryer balls" that you can pick up at Walgreens or pretty much any discount store. I do NOT use any softener any more! They cost around $10.00 but have been very pleasing to use. I used to have alot of static electricity in my clothes, that is why I used dryer sheets and liquid, but the balls do the trick, my clothes don't have that extra fabric softener smell either. I think the balls also have a guarantee on them. Try them, I think you will like them, not only for the micro-fiber towels but for all your laundry!

I forgot to add in all this discussion:

DO NOT use vinegar in a load if you are using bleach!!!!
The mixture is toxic...

...just in case you all didn't know that...

jenniferlynne said:
I loved these towels when I first got them :love: Now they stink and I can't get the smell out of them :grumpy:

Do you have a front-load washer?
One of my friends was telling me that her towels stink ever since she got her new washing machines. She googled it and found out that there are chat rooms and forums with tons of people who have front-loaders with this same towel problem!!! They're still trying to figure it out, by the way...

Thanks guys for all the tips. I will try the vinegar. I use water and vinegar to clean our dining room floor, but didn't think about it for clothes. I just ran out of bleach too, so now I don't have to buy anymore. I can pickles and salsa in the summer, so I always have tons of vinegar.

If you like to use fabric softener, use vinegar about every second or third washing. This will keep the towels absorbent but they'll still stay soft.

I use softener mostly in the winter because my husband has to be outdoors on his job sometimes. It closes the fabric up so the wind doesn't whip through it so much so he stays warmer without the extra bulk of coveralls or heavy clothing.

Also, when you use softener, it causes the lint filter in your dryer to not allow good air flow. Every few months, scrub it with a soft toothbrush and mild detergent until water will flow freely through it. This will extend the life of your dryer.

Vinegar definitely has fabric softening properties. I hang clothes to dry on a line and use half the normal detergent amount and a cup of vinegar. Works like a charm! And no vinegar smell.

I always use the Vinegar. Tried everything one time to get the musty smell out of clothes I had forgotten in the washer. Finally I poured about a cup in and rewash, presto fresh smelling again. Pour it on the sidewalks to get the grass that grows out. Just leave it for a day or two and sweep :)
Deanna

Sorry, I'm new at this. When using vinegar, do you also use your regular detergent? When you add the vinegar, do you do it at the beginning when you would normally add your regular detergent, or do you wait until the rinse cycle at the end? Do you pour it right into the water, or into the space where fabric softener would usually go?

ChefMoore said:
Sorry, I'm new at this. When using vinegar, do you also use your regular detergent? When you add the vinegar, do you do it at the beginning when you would normally add your regular detergent, or do you wait until the rinse cycle at the end? Do you pour it right into the water, or into the space where fabric softener would usually go?

I'm sure everyone does it differently but I:

1. Add it at the beginning.
2. Add it in the main compartment.
3. Still use detergent but a little less.

When I am using vinegar as a softener (any time I am washing a load that includes ANY type of towel) I put it into my center "liquid softener" cup. If I am trying to get out nasty smells (like when I forget that there is a load in the washer and it sits for a couple of days...) I just add it to the main part when I put my detergent in.

My microfiber towels are always static-y though, so I think I will look for those dryer balls. My brother uses them and loves them!

KellyTheChef said:
When I am using vinegar as a softener (any time I am washing a load that includes ANY type of towel) I put it into my center "liquid softener" cup. If I am trying to get out nasty smells (like when I forget that there is a load in the washer and it sits for a couple of days...) I just add it to the main part when I put my detergent in.

My microfiber towels are always static-y though, so I think I will look for those dryer balls. My brother uses them and loves them!

Kelly, I have those balls and my towels are STILL static-y (is that a word? lol) it's annoying but if you shake them out they seem better.

Ugh. I was hoping that would help! They are INSANELY full of static...they stick to EVERYTHING when they first come out. Not to mention that I can't stand touching the MF towels when they are dry. (dry hands, get "caught" on them...Ewwwwwwww!)

and my MF towels I mean microfiber towels, not what you all are thinking!:D

potty mouths!

WE have potty mouths? lol. I do believe you're the one that was thinking that. lol

I MF my husband all the time (in my head) lol.

see, you took me down with you to the potty!

KellyTheChef said:
Ugh. I was hoping that would help! They are INSANELY full of static...they stick to EVERYTHING when they first come out. Not to mention that I can't stand touching the MF towels when they are dry. (dry hands, get "caught" on them...Ewwwwwwww!)

What I do that seems to help with the static is I air dry them, and then just throw them in the dryer for a couple minutes to fluff them back up - that seems to really help with the static.

ginamkiely said:
WE have potty mouths? lol. I do believe you're the one that was thinking that. lol

I MF my husband all the time (in my head) lol.

see, you took me down with you to the potty!

You microfiber your husband? I don't get it????:confused:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ChefBeckyD said:
You microfiber your husband? I don't get it????:confused:

Maybe it's one of those Ewwwww things. ;)

raebates said:
Maybe it's one of those Ewwwww things. ;)

lol, more like when i tell him to take out the trash or pick up after the dogs and he doesn't do it, i MF him in my head. lol. (kinda like mother trucker. lol)

What if you (oops) have used softner on your MF towels. Can you rewash them in vingar and they will be ok?

Chef Stacy Edwards said:
What if you (oops) have used softner on your MF towels. Can you rewash them in vingar and they will be ok?

Yes, vinegar will help take out the fabric softener...

janetupnorth said:
Yes, vinegar will help take out the fabric softener...

Thanks Janet..

I hate that static scratchy feeling that the microfiber towels get-
But it does make them very good for dusting, just like the swiffers only reusable!
Koren

I gave up dryer sheets when I started using Charlie's Soap to wash with. Natural, low-sudsing, easier on the clothes.Everything comes out of the wash much softer than it did before, and I haven't had a static cling problem, either (and I wear lots of knits, so that's been a problem in the past). My towels have never been so absorbent--plain terrycloth and the microfiber, both.Welcome - Charlie's Soap

Oh! I figured out FOR SURE what my main problem was with mine stinking. I know it's been mentioned, but

DON'T USE DAWN SOAP!!

I got a bottle of Palmolive a few weeks ago and .....NO MORE STINK! I still drape it over my soap bottle so it drys quickly, but I have noticed that they just don't smell anymore!

Yipee!

I ditto the vinegar. My favourite all-purpose cleaner.

<h2>1. What causes microfiber towels to develop a stinky odor?</h2><p>Microfiber towels can develop a stinky odor due to bacteria and mildew growth from being left damp or unwashed for an extended period of time.</p><h2>2. How often should microfiber towels be washed?</h2><p>We recommend washing microfiber towels after every use to prevent bacteria and odor buildup.</p><h2>3. Can I use bleach to remove the smell from my microfiber towels?</h2><p>While bleach may help to remove the odor, it can also damage the fibers of your microfiber towels. We recommend using a mild detergent and hot water to wash your towels instead.</p><h2>4. Is there a special way to wash microfiber towels to prevent them from developing a stinky smell?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to wash microfiber towels separately from other laundry items, using a mild detergent and hot water. Avoid using fabric softener, as it can leave a residue on the towels which can contribute to the stinky smell.</p><h2>5. Can I still use my stinky microfiber towels?</h2><p>If the smell cannot be removed, it is best to replace your microfiber towels. Using towels with a strong odor can transfer the smell to other items and may not be hygienic for use on surfaces or on your body.</p>

1. What causes microfiber towels to develop a stinky odor?

Microfiber towels can develop a stinky odor due to bacteria and mildew growth from being left damp or unwashed for an extended period of time.

2. How often should microfiber towels be washed?

We recommend washing microfiber towels after every use to prevent bacteria and odor buildup.

3. Can I use bleach to remove the smell from my microfiber towels?

While bleach may help to remove the odor, it can also damage the fibers of your microfiber towels. We recommend using a mild detergent and hot water to wash your towels instead.

4. Is there a special way to wash microfiber towels to prevent them from developing a stinky smell?

Yes, it is important to wash microfiber towels separately from other laundry items, using a mild detergent and hot water. Avoid using fabric softener, as it can leave a residue on the towels which can contribute to the stinky smell.

5. Can I still use my stinky microfiber towels?

If the smell cannot be removed, it is best to replace your microfiber towels. Using towels with a strong odor can transfer the smell to other items and may not be hygienic for use on surfaces or on your body.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BlessedWifeMommy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
koima
  • dannyzmom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies