• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Getting Smoke Smell Out of Kids' Belongings: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses how someone's in-laws smoked in their home and the smell it created. The individual suggests various ways to get the smell out of non-machine-washable items, including Febreeze, hanging items out to air, and using Odorban. Additionally, they mention charcoal as a possible odor-eliminator.
sillylittlechef
I need help. My children went to stay at my in laws and although they didn't smoke in the house while my children were there, their house reaks!!!! Now....my childrens clothes, coats, backpacks, toys everything stinks horribly. I can wash most things in the washer, but can anyone help me with how to get the smell out of stuffies that aren't machine washable. They have 2 extra large stuffies that are not machine washable. Also cabbage patch dolls? anyone know how to wash them? UGH!!!!!!
If they (my inlaws) want to stink--great, fine with me. but it's just so disgusting to smell it on a little kid. (sorry if I offend anyone, I don't intend to, I just personally dislike the smell of stale smoke)

Hanging things out on the clothesline overnight works good... I spray with Febreeze or something similar as well... that smell is a tough one... my mom used to use Ammonia in an old mayo lid... put the stuffies in a box or huge bag and carefully set the open lid or little bowl in the box or bag for several hours. I got the "old musty" smell out of a great antique cabinet doing that. Just some ideas... hope something works.

How about Febreeze? I've used that to get rid of the smell of vomit off my papasan cushion (can't really throw THAT in the washing machine!) Worked great! The other thing I like to do is to shake it out outside and leave it out in the sun for an afternoon. That helps to air out bad smells...

Yep.....Febreeze works great!!

I hear coffee grounds work well to take odors out, too. Maybe put the stuffies in a box with a little baggie of coffee? I'm all about hanging stuff outside, too. When I was in college in frigid North Dakota, I used to shut my clothes in my window to air them out after a night on the town! It didn't work quite as well as a clothesline, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Put them in a plastic bag (seal it with a twixt) with crumpled up newspaper. Change the newspaper every few days till the smell is gone.

wow! That was fast....
I think I will try fabreeze for now and atleast cover the smell....the whole room they are in stinks now.
I had thought of sticking them outside, but it's quite gloomy outside today.
Thanks for the fast response.

Put them in a plastic bag with a couple of Bounce dryer sheets. Let them set for about a week or two. That should get them smelling fresh.

The newspaper thing sounds interresting

Fabreeze works wonderful to get the smell out

Downey dryer sheets are great. I would put the items in a bag with the dryer sheet. I put them in my car also. It is just a clean smell.:D

I usually spray the stuff with Febreeze and sit in the garage. Also, you can always wash stuffed animals (assuming that's what a "stuffy" is) by putting them in a pillowcase and tying it up and washing on delicate.

Everyone in my family smokes except for me and my mom, and it's AWFUL! My DH and I hate going over there, but what can you do...avoid the family...don't think so. We just always let the stuff hang out in the garage for a while!

We bought a used recliner. It REEKED of cigarette smoke. The initial smell was too much for Febreeze. We used Odorban, which we purchased at Sam's Club. It took three or four treatments (spray and let evaporate). We set it outside in the fresh air to do that. Just be sure to spray every nook and cranny.

Another treatment that works is charcoal. Do the same thing with the plastic bag, but use charcoal. A banana peel works also. If you stick a banana peel in the bag with the stuffies and leave it until the peel is hard and black the peel will obsorb the smell. If it is really bad I would use 2 or 3 peels.

Hope you find something that helps. I cannot stand the cigarette smell either. They are finally trying to make it illegal for people to light up right outside of the door of buildings. I cannot wait for that! I hate walking outside and into a cloud of smoke. You have to hold your breath and run the gauntlet! YUCK YUCK!! They need to invent masks or something for smokers to wear so that the only people that will stink and have to smell that nastiness is THEM!!

Major Pet Peeve: People who throw their lit butts out of the car window! I hate that!! Those things bounce back up and get caught in the grill of the car behind them. Then guess what everyone in that car has to smell for the next 100 miles?!

Last edited:
Actually white vinegar in the load about 1/4-1/2 cup will take care of most odors. Especially urine (learned that as a trick while kids were potty training). I have used it to take out charcoal (grill smoke) among MANY, MANY other things...

If you get new clothes, it is also good to wash them in a little bit of vinegar the first time to set the colors so they don't bleed on other clothes in the future.

PamperedChef GURU said:
Put them in a plastic bag with a couple of Bounce dryer sheets. Let them set for about a week or two. That should get them smelling fresh.
The kids or the stuffies??? LOL!!!!:D

I hate that too!!
Chef Kearns said:
Another treatment that works is charcoal. Do the same thing with the plastic bag, but use charcoal. A banana peel works also. If you stick a banana peel in the bag with the stuffies and leave it until the peel is hard and black the peel will obsorb the smell. If it is really bad I would use 2 or 3 peels.

Hope you find something that helps. I cannot stand the cigarette smell either. They are finally trying to make it illegal for people to light up right outside of the door of buildings. I cannot wait for that! I hate walking outside and into a cloud of smoke. You have to hold your breath and run the gauntlet! YUCK YUCK!! They need to invent masks or something for smokers to wear so that the only people that will stink and have to smell that nastiness is THEM!!

Major Pet Peeve: People who through their lit butts out of the car window! I hate that!! Those things bounce back up and get caught in the grill of the car behind them. Then guess what everyone in that car has to smell for the next 100 miles?!

I hate the smell of cig smoke too. It's gross and makes me nauseous. I am pregnant and don't want to have to smell that. People light up anywhere with no thought to others around them. Second hand smoke is horrible and I am forced to smell it and inhale it as I walk by these people. I can only hold my breath so long while quickly walking by, without passing out!! LOL

We had a 45-55 minute wait at Olive Garden the weekend of Valentine's day and as my husband and I were waiting on the benches outside I had to ask a grandma to wait just a few minutes while I sat somewhere else before she lit it up. She was sitting right next to me on a bench and was about to light up but I said
"Oh excuse me but could you wait a few minutes while I go inside to sit down. I am pregnant and don't want to have to smell that. It's bad for me and my baby."
She said "Oh sorry sure go ahead." And waited for me and my husband to get inside. :p

Debbie :D

Ok, I guess I am a dork. What is a stuffie :confused:

I am thinking she means stuffed animals...

That's a cute name for them!

I wash my Cabbage Patch babies in the washer all the time and no problems. I don't dry them though, just let them air dry. Oust also works good too.

janetupnorth said:
Actually white vinegar in the load about 1/4-1/2 cup will take care of most odors. Especially urine (learned that as a trick while kids were potty training). I have used it to take out charcoal (grill smoke) among MANY, MANY other things...

If you get new clothes, it is also good to wash them in a little bit of vinegar the first time to set the colors so they don't bleed on other clothes in the future.

vinegar will get rid of the smell of smoke, you can even just put a bowl in a room and it will get rid of the smell in the room.

chefkristin said:
The kids or the stuffies??? LOL!!!!:D

I have visions of adorable little munchkins sitting in their own great big bags, surrounded by dryer sheets.

Just remember: plastic bags are not toys and should be kept out of the hands of children.

I'm sorry--- Stuffies are my kids stuffed animals...sometimes, I forget to translate from baby talk!!!!
Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to throw the cabbage patch kids in pillowcases into the wash on delicate, and the stuffies are already sprayed with fabreeze and in bags with dryer sheets. I didn't have any charcoal or banana peels. SO, hoping for the best. Thanks everyone again.

bbauman07 said:
vinegar will get rid of the smell of smoke, you can even just put a bowl in a room and it will get rid of the smell in the room.

Didn't know about that in a room too...wow...no smoke in my house, but I'll remember that!

I just keep the BIGGEST bottle available by my washer! :)

You can also sprinkle them with baking soda. I saw it on HGTV and it is supposd to actually "clean" them.

Chef Kearn said:
They are finally trying to make it illegal for people to light up right outside of the door of buildings. I cannot wait for that! I hate walking outside and into a cloud of smoke.

They just made it so people can not smoke in restuarants here. Let me tell ya we had a very limited # of places we could go to.

What do you guys do when you go to a hostesses house when they smoke?? I have been doing this for 2 yrs now and I have yet to run into that problem.

You know what Jennie, I have only had that happen once. Usually if people smoke they don't smoke in their homes. Isn't that the weirdest thing?! I see them step out onto the patio and light up there. Like they know it stinks and they don't want their stuff stinking. I'm like just quit then!!

The one house where the lady smoked in her home was really really bad. She had 2 dogs and 3 cats. It smelled like she hadn't opened a wiindow in several decades! I walked down the hallway to the bathroom and had to step over feces. It was really gross. I know she is an extreme case. Her house would've smelled whether or not she smoked. That just added a layer of nauseum to the muck. I hurried up quickly and did that show. I didn't want to put my bags down on the floor or anything.

I have some stories...

I did one show and while I was in the kitchen prepping the food a mouse ran across the back of the counter! I screamed!! Most of the guests had already arrived and they all said, "What happened? Are you all right?" I tried to maintain or regain my composure. But you know what? I DID THE SHOW!!!

What's worse? That mouse climbed into my rolling showcase bag and made a home at my house for a few weeks until it died on the poison we left out!!! GROSS!!

Chef Kearns said:
I have some stories...

I did one show and while I was in the kitchen prepping the food a mouse ran across the back of the counter! I screamed!! Most of the guests had already arrived and they all said, "What happened? Are you all right?" I tried to maintain or regain my composure. But you know what? I DID THE SHOW!!!

What's worse? That mouse climbed into my rolling showcase bag and made a home at my house for a few weeks until it died on the poison we left out!!! GROSS!!

I would have just died if I brought a mouse home. I have been pretty lucky not to have to go into a home that looks like that.

This is what it says on the very bottom of my Host packet cover sheet (the fine print, so to speak):

I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your attention to this matter. If you or your guests must smoke while I am in your home, please let me know so I can make other arrangements.

I can be in a bar/restaurant and the smoke won't get to me but something about being "on" (performing) brings on a migrane.

Since I've put this on my flyers, I have not run into the situation. I don't even remember that it is there. . .and no one has mentioned it in a long time. I did have a host last week take my coat out from under her MIL's coat, she mentioned that the MIL was a heavy smoker and her coat would make mine reek. Later I realized that she must have read the fine print.

Chef Kearns said:
You know what Jennie, I have only had that happen once. Usually if people smoke they don't smoke in their homes. Isn't that the weirdest thing?! I see them step out onto the patio and light up there. Like they know it stinks and they don't want their stuff stinking. I'm like just quit then!!

Most smokers are addicted and it IS a very hard habit to kick. The smoke clings to your walls so you have to wash them all the time, etc. Alot of people don't smoke around their kids ethier out of respect for them. THey could also be renting and it maybe against the landlords rules. Which is why alot of smokers chose to smoke outside.

chefjeanine said:
This is what it says on the very bottom of my Host packet cover sheet (the fine print, so to speak):

I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your attention to this matter. If you or your guests must smoke while I am in your home, please let me know so I can make other arrangements.

I can be in a bar/restaurant and the smoke won't get to me but something about being "on" (performing) brings on a migrane.

Since I've put this on my flyers, I have not run into the situation. I don't even remember that it is there. . .and no one has mentioned it in a long time. I did have a host last week take my coat out from under her MIL's coat, she mentioned that the MIL was a heavy smoker and her coat would make mine reek. Later I realized that she must have read the fine print.

It's nice to hear that your hosts read the fine print! Very encouraging! I have hosts who barely OPEN their host packets!!

Both my parents smoke like they are on fire!!! It is so gross:mad: They don't care if your eating, or what they will light up!!

1. How can I get the smoke smell out of my children's belongings after they stayed at a house where someone smokes?

The first step to getting smoke smell out of your children's belongings is to separate the items that are machine washable from those that are not. This will make the cleaning process easier and more effective.

2. What can I do to remove the smoke smell from items that are not machine washable?

For items that cannot be washed, there are a few methods you can try. One option is to place the item in a plastic bag with a few dryer sheets and leave it sealed for a day or two. The dryer sheets will help absorb the smell. Another option is to sprinkle baking soda on the item and let it sit for a few hours before shaking it off and wiping the item down with a damp cloth.

3. How can I clean my child's stuffed animals that are not machine washable?

For stuffed animals, you can try using a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Dampen a cloth with the solution and gently wipe down the stuffed animal. Then, use a clean damp cloth to wipe away any excess solution. Let the stuffed animal air dry and the vinegar should help eliminate the smoke smell.

4. Can I wash my child's Cabbage Patch dolls to remove the smoke smell?

Yes, you can wash Cabbage Patch dolls to remove the smoke smell. Fill a sink or basin with warm water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Swish the water around to create suds and then gently wipe down the doll with a clean cloth. Rinse the doll with clean water and let it air dry.

5. How can I prevent my children's belongings from smelling like smoke in the future?

If your in-laws continue to smoke in their house, you may want to consider using a garment bag or plastic storage bin to transport your children's belongings to and from their house. This will help protect the items from picking up the smoke smell. You can also try using odor eliminating sprays or sachets in your children's bags and backpacks to help combat any residual smoke smell.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back