• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Incentives for Catalog Shows: Tips for New Consultants

In summary, a new consultant is trying to figure out how to give a 10% discount to Black Friday orders under the name of a pet. They are worried about meeting the $150 minimum for the Dec. 1 show, and are worried that fabricating a host would ruin their reputation.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I am a new consultant and have been lurking around here for a while. I finally became a member mostly so I could look at those nifty flyers you're all uploading!

Since I'm a TOTAL newbie, I have the same question when I read about various incentives, like discounts, gift certificates, and other promotional items.

How do you do it? Submit a catalog show and give them a discount using the host discount? Pay for the certificate or discount out of your own pocket?

Any tips would help a lot!

I was just talking with another consultant (who represents another company) about 'massaging the details' to give customers the very best deal.

You've got the idea - a discount is typically something you don't have to pay much for - giving someone 20%, might simply be adding it onto another show you already have going in. They don't know that, and you can create a receipt in Pampered Partner to say just about anything you want it to... it's a little complex when you start entering orders on a host's actual true order, just from a receipt standpoint; just keep a tally next to your computer so everything is correct to you. God bless; take care!

-praying for Paige and her family-

I had the same question last year after I had only been in it a few months. My director told me that you add whatever "freebie" you are giving her to her order. She is getting at least a 15% discount on any products she buys separate from her FPV. Therefore, whatever you give her will have that same discount. Don't forget that you then get a commission on that same product. I have offered $15 in FPV for the host to hold the show on the original date and it has never really cost me that much-maybe about $9 after the percentage off and the commission. Hope that helps!
Jessica M-J

Well, my first show is in the name of my roomate's pet, who has a very person-like name and a different last name than me! This enables me to get the red trivet to give as a gift or show at parties. So ... would I be able to, say, over a 10 percent discount to Black Friday orders, putting those orders under the name of the cat? Would this mess up their guarantee? I'm a little worried about meeting the $150 minimum for the Dec. 1 show so I am trying to put in orders that would count toward that.

theoretically, you have the idea - Yes - you can offer a 10% discount, putting the show in the name of a pet. No, it doesn't mess up their guarantee. The name is just a way of filing the info for PC HO.

You may not realize you can actually print receipts for a show that you have not sent in - this is how I do some of the gifting and all.

One way to make up the payment, is to do the math separately, then make a "Consultant Gift" amount for the difference in product or half price or whatever. The customer doesn't know how you paid for it, just their own bottom line.

Good luck; God Bless You! Keep asking questions until you get answers you need.

-Praying for Paige and her family-

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well, my first show is in the name of my roomate's pet, who has a very person-like name and a different last name than me! This enables me to get the red trivet to give as a gift or show at parties.

So ... would I be able to, say, over a 10 percent discount to Black Friday orders, putting those orders under the name of the cat? Would this mess up their guarantee? I'm a little worried about meeting the $150 minimum for the Dec. 1 show so I am trying to put in orders that would count toward that.
CAT'S NAME??? Come on! Pampered Chef is so generous to us and to our hosts I do not understand why people have to LIE and take advantage of the system. This kind of thing really makes me see red. Be honest. If you don't have a host then admit you are doing the show (you still get most of the benefits) or have a mystery host (pick someone who places an order or the highest order or something).

Sorry, I don't mean to attack you personally but I see too much of this and new consultants should not be encouraged to "bend the rules" like this.

One other thing: You need to be aware that HO does have people who read posts on this site. You are admitting to fabricating a host which is wrong. If the wrong person sees posts like this you will get a call from HO on it.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well, my first show is in the name of my roomate's pet, who has a very person-like name and a different last name than me! This enables me to get the red trivet to give as a gift or show at parties.

So ... would I be able to, say, over a 10 percent discount to Black Friday orders, putting those orders under the name of the cat? Would this mess up their guarantee? I'm a little worried about meeting the $150 minimum for the Dec. 1 show so I am trying to put in orders that would count toward that.

Curious but why use the cat's name? You can host a show as a consultant and it's my understanding that you're not limited in doing so although obviously to grow you're going to have to find more hosts.

Why not put your first show in as you being the host? That's what I did and it was fine... it gave me the confidence to have someone else as host once I understood the process from invites to receiving and distributing the shipment.

Beth - that really does sound like a personal attack. This is a new consultant and maybe she just needs help. When I started I was told that HO frowned on consultants doing their own shows and that I should put things under my husband's or neighbor's name. She just used a different name that happens to be a cat.

fikibiff said:
Beth - that really does sound like a personal attack. This is a new consultant and maybe she just needs help. When I started I was told that HO frowned on consultants doing their own shows and that I should put things under my husband's or neighbor's name. She just used a different name that happens to be a cat.

Not sure who told you that. It states specifically in the Recipe for Success that consultants can host their own show. I agree with Beth. Why not have the roommate be the host? Not the cat.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Since I'm a TOTAL newbie, I have the same question when I read about various incentives, like discounts, gift certificates, and other promotional items.

How do you do it? Submit a catalog show and give them a discount using the host discount? Pay for the certificate or discount out of your own pocket?

Any tips would help a lot!

Earn FREE products during Sell-a-thon and panarama. Take advantage of host special that the host doesn't purchase. Order products from the supply list. Then all of these can be used as incentive freebies.

My roomate does not care about the products. The cat was at least present for the demo!

Anyway ... it's just something I was debating as a way to potentially offer greater benefits to customers in the future, and because I, too, thought that HQ might frown on a self-sponsored show. At this point, if I gave somebody a 10 percent discount, it would come out of my pocket unless I put it on the host's order, and if I have a show that is barely $150 in sales (like I do now) and need those orders to make the show minimum, then I have a show I can't turn in! I also envisioned giving away the 60 perent Simple Additions item as an incentive to boost sales, but in the end, nobody took me up on it because the only customer interested in them booked her own catty show.

So calm down. I haven't even submitted the show yet and may end up changing the name of the host.

Anyway ... I AM earning a few spring products throught he SAT, but being that my start is kind of slow, the bundle will be small. And I DO have a supply order going in soon, HOPEFULLY before my next in-person show. And I don't think a consultant as the host will get the 60 or 50 percent discounts, which is why I was giving them away.

It really doesn't seem a whole lot different to me than the "mystery host" thing, but oh well. Calm down. It was just a thought. At least I know how to make people respond to this thread.

As I said, it was not a personal statement. I was talking to ALL of those who think you can just put anything you want on your orders and "work" the system.

She may have gotten bad information from here, her director, other sources and I understand that. Starting a business with deception is no way to become successful. The Business Guide and the PC website are a wealth of information even if your director isn't.

If a person isn't getting the shows or orders she/he wants they need to look at what they are saying and who they aren't asking and not how they can beat the system.

[edit: This was posted before Di's last post. Again, I am just trying to help here. Just don't start your business thinking this is okay. That's all I'm saying.]

Last edited:
Consultants can host their own shows when they wish to. You do get all the same host benefits except:
10% discount
Booking benefit
Commission on the host order (anything that is on the unlimited discount would normally be commissionalbe on a regular host order)

Plus, as far as I understand, anyone living in the home with the consultant is also ineligable for these benefits for the consultant. That way consultants aren't putting the show in their SO's name all the time to reap the benefits. The benefits are designed with our hosts in mind to help them not pay full price for a whole year. As a consultant we get different benefits all the time (including 20% off any personal non-commissionable order put in).

If you offer 10% off to a guest, that would only be a few dollars out of your pocket for their order (only $3 for a $30 order). This way it would count towards the show total and help out better than putting it on the host order.

Plus, as far as I understand, anyone living in the home with the consultant is also ineligable for these benefits for the consultant.

This leads me to a question ...

Catty Host #2 does not want her order shipped to her house, because she lives in an apartment building and is worried about theft. If I have her order shipped to my house, does that mean she loses benefits? The whole reason she is hosting a show is that she wants the discount on the Simple Additions.

Anyway, I am trying to UNDERSTAND the system here. Calm down. I'm trying to figure out what we can do for people WITHOUT breaking the rules and WITHOUT spending money out of my own pocket.

In my prior line, incentives were built into the plan. This plan is different. I look around here and see all kinds of people offering all kinds of discounts that are not built into the plan. It seems to me that this can add up BIG TIME. If I give customers 20 percent out of my pocket and I only earn 20 percent commission, I have just made NOTHING on that order.

I just wanted to know how you all do that without breaking the bank. That is all.

To have a show shipped to your address, you input it this way:Host's Name
c/o Consultant's Name
Consultant's address
City, State 00000Lots of people offer extra incentives. As you build your business, your sales will increase, as will your commission. Plus, future directors and above receive a slice of commission from their downline's sales.My rule of thumb is to make sure I'm still making a commission, even after any personal incentives.

Last edited:
Rae is correct, I have orders shipped to my house all the time for special hosts (ie: family, friends, etc).

When I first started I didn't offer much for incentives since I wasn't making much money. Now that I have been doing this for a year, it's easier to offer things to hosts and guest. Figure out what the best for you is to do and go with that, you don't have to do what everyone else is doing, that's the best part about this business. Do what you are comfortable doing in your business.

wadesgirl said:
Rae is correct, I have orders shipped to my house all the time for special hosts (ie: family, friends, etc).

When I first started I didn't offer much for incentives since I wasn't making much money. Now that I have been doing this for a year, it's easier to offer things to hosts and guest. Figure out what the best for you is to do and go with that, you don't have to do what everyone else is doing, that's the best part about this business.

I love it when people say that! :p

Just wanted to step into the contreversy :D. First off, as a new consultant your hosts ALREADY get something other hosts don't get - the 30 day thank you gift thingie (technical term). What we need to do on here is to advise people to learn to work the system LEGALLY! As for hosting your own show - THERE IS A BUTTON IN PP FOR IT!!! Sorry, but it irked me that new consultants are taught that HO frowns on THAT, but not on cheating the system!Another thing that can happen is called splitting shows so you can qualify faster. It is ethical to do this for a CATALOG show where the CONSULTANT is host. It isn't if it is a live show and/or if someone is else is the host. It is basically taking away what they earned so the consultant can earn something more!! Catalog shows can be dated anytime (I usually date them the day we decide to close the show). That way, you can have a December catalog show start November 25th. As long as you give them the December guest special info.Now, I do admit that my 10 year old niece has hosted a show and gotten free stuff - but she really did get the orders for me!!!I also have a strong recruit lead who doesn't have much in the way of support or the whole $155 to pay for the kit. I have a catalog show going. I told her I would put her name on the show if she were to get it to $400 or more so she could use the FPV towards her kit.Things like this are acceptable - just follow the rules!!!

cmdtrgd said:
Just wanted to step into the contreversy :D. First off, as a new consultant your hosts ALREADY get something other hosts don't get - the 30 day thank you gift thingie (technical term). What we need to do on here is to advise people to learn to work the system LEGALLY! As for hosting your own show - THERE IS A BUTTON IN PP FOR IT!!! Sorry, but it irked me that new consultants are taught that HO frowns on THAT, but not on cheating the system!

Charter host gift? :D

BTW as a consultant hosting their own show (which yes, there is a place to label the show as such in P3) you also earn the charter host gift. I'd actually forgotten about it and lo, they sent me one even without asking. I use it all the time now too at my shows (the cranberry silicon trivet/hot pad).

Di_Can_Cook said:

In my prior line, incentives were built into the plan. This plan is different. I look around here and see all kinds of people offering all kinds of discounts that are not built into the plan. It seems to me that this can add up BIG TIME. If I give customers 20 percent out of my pocket and I only earn 20 percent commission, I have just made NOTHING on that order.

I just wanted to know how you all do that without breaking the bank. That is all.

Incentives ARE built into our plan. Pampered Chef has about, if not THE, best incentive program available and we consultants should be embracing it and using it to our and our host's advantage. When we offer extra incentives it's like saying "PC doesn't give you enough". I rarely give extra incentives unless I am looking to meet a personal objective. I then tell my hosts that because I want something I am offering ___ as an extra incentive if they will help me get it.

Look at the host program closely. Then talk to your hosts and find out what it is they are looking for (I had one host who was SOOOO excited about the 10% off for a year benefit.) then talk that up! Be excited about what PC offers and your hosts will be too.

BethCooks4U said:
Look at the host program closely. Then talk to your hosts and find out what it is they are looking for then talk that up! Be excited about what PC offers and your hosts will be too.

I agree!!! One of the first things I learned was about our Host Benefits. The products will sell themselves. If you have anyone in the audience that has C products, THEY will sell them for you! Have your guests come up and make the recipe - makes your job easier, too!

Now, I challenge you to host a show for another DS company. I am amazed that we are the ONLY company (that I know of) that does the PHD for a year! A lot of companies offer booking gifts at the show and nothing holds their bookings - we have the host special. Nobody I know of does the 60% off one item for the host special. MOST make you pay shipping as well as TAX ON THE FREE ITEMS! What New Consultants need to know is our HOST PROGRAM! Belinda Ellsworth built two huge and hugely successful DS businesses just by starting out with that!

PC does have good incentives. HOWEVER ... I guess I am still comparing things to my old product line. Under that program, my customers got 20 percent of their sales in free product, plus $25, plus another $25 if they sold over $300 and usually, a free item if they sold over $400 or more. They also got three half price items, which they almost never used because they were getting so much free! We also had a 70 percent discount we could offer a host for any reason we choose. The host did pay shipping on her order, but tax only on what she purchased, not on what was free. And when someone booked off her, she'd get a $75 gift certificate for $15 to spend at that show.

Customers, meanwhile, got their third item half price (the most costly of the three) and often, a 75 percent discount if they purchased $75.

You'd think I'd be doing great with specials like that. I've been to many gift fairs and found the program to be the best around. However ... the product was one that people saw as a luxury.

So here I am in a program that has very different incentives ... but a very different product as well. A product that I personally feel is easier to sell, and am seeing some initial success so I think it's ultimately going to be better.

But I look around these boards, and it seems like everyone is offering special discounts to people, especially in regards to Black Friday. It makes me wonder if they NEED to offer these incentives to get the sales they are achieving?

Anyway ... I was told a consultant/host could NOT get the charter gift. Thanks for clearing that up! I was hoping to keep it and maybe use it as an incentive for someone to host a December party, which is just outside my first 30 days.

I offered a "birthday bash" sale in August since I had the day off of my normal job for my birthday. I ran it so that they would receive a discount depending on when they called me during the day. I just did it for the fun of it and sent out a flyer to my entire address book. I felt like it also served as a reminder for those guests I was never able to "connect" with at the party or reach on the phone that I am still available to them if they need anything. I didn't get that many sales so the out of pocket expense of the sale items wasn't that much. I offered 10% off items or free tax and shipping during the certain hours. Nothing that would totally break the bank though.

I did see on here were a consultant basically forgoed her commission to stay active as a director. She was willing to give up most of her commission so she could get a benefit that she would have otherwise lost. Then again, when you reach higher sales, $15,000 in sales, directorship, etc, your commission percentage goes up too. So giving a 20% discount when your commission is 27% you are sitll making some money on it. Once again, it's a personal choice by the consultant what they want to be able to "give away".

Some consultants do offer certain offers but they should come out of pocket as stated before. When I have months that I really would like to fill ex Sell A thon Month then what I do is I pass around a sheet of paper and say if you book on one of these days then I will give you a free cooking show. That is where I send the invites provide the food and plates and stuff like that. I did it to fill my Nov and Dec I had 4 people take me up on it 1 canceled and so far one has offered to help me pay for everything. The only other time that I have offered anything free is from drawings at TOH and so far only 1 person has taken me up on it.

Di_Can_Cook said:
PC does have good incentives. HOWEVER ... I guess I am still comparing things to my old product line. Under that program, my customers got 20 percent of their sales in free product, plus $25, plus another $25 if they sold over $300 and usually, a free item if they sold over $400 or more. They also got three half price items, which they almost never used because they were getting so much free! We also had a 70 percent discount we could offer a host for any reason we choose. The host did pay shipping on her order, but tax only on what she purchased, not on what was free. And when someone booked off her, she'd get a $75 gift certificate for $15 to spend at that show.

Customers, meanwhile, got their third item half price (the most costly of the three) and often, a 75 percent discount if they purchased $75.

You'd think I'd be doing great with specials like that. I've been to many gift fairs and found the program to be the best around. However ... the product was one that people saw as a luxury.

So here I am in a program that has very different incentives ... but a very different product as well. A product that I personally feel is easier to sell, and am seeing some initial success so I think it's ultimately going to be better.

But I look around these boards, and it seems like everyone is offering special discounts to people, especially in regards to Black Friday. It makes me wonder if they NEED to offer these incentives to get the sales they are achieving?

Anyway ... I was told a consultant/host could NOT get the charter gift. Thanks for clearing that up! I was hoping to keep it and maybe use it as an incentive for someone to host a December party, which is just outside my first 30 days.

There are many people on this board who aren't even participating in the threads that talk about extra incentives........I USED TO offer all kinds of extra incentives, but have discovered that extra incentives usually
end up just costing me money, and don't benefit my business for the amount of $$ and time that I put into them.
I now focus just on our incredible host plan, and what you can get for hosting a show, and that has helped my business so much more than any extra incentives. Like Beth, I will also offer an extra incentive if I think I am close to a goal, and it will help me meet it to offer the incentive. But that is usually either something I have on hand, or possibly a free show.

November is Sellathon Month - which is huge for PC consultants....so more people offer incentives this time of year for sales & bookings than any other time of the year.

Attached are some "booking coupons" that I found in the files here - I use these at all of my shows as a visual aid to show how great the Host Program is - I hand these one at a time to my host, and explain each benefit briefly.

Attachments

• bookingcouponswd(2).doc
    167 KB · Views: 361
Di_Can_Cook said:

I think you need to totally forget about your former product line-there really is no comparison to PC as we have THE BEST Host incentives there are! Erase the other product line from your mind and start anew with ours! When you have questions, look for answers in your Business Building book or call that toll free number-they don't keep track of how many times we call to get anwers! Thank God for that!

Di_Can_Cook said:

You know, you could do the show with you as the host and buy the trivet for very little after the host discount. The more you cheat our company, the more our prices will go up.

Last edited:
DebbieJ said:
You know, you could do the show with you as the host and buy the trivet for very little after the host discount. The more you cheat our company, the more our prices will go up.

The trivet would be free. It's the charter gift for hosting in your first 30 days. I got one for hosting my grand opening show.

I agree that PC has the most generous host plans that I have seen in comparison to other DS companies! I've hosted 2 others and thought their rewards were lame vs. ours!

ChefBeckyD said:
There are many people on this board who aren't even participating in the threads that talk about extra incentives........I USED TO offer all kinds of extra incentives, but have discovered that extra incentives usually
end up just costing me money, and don't benefit my business for the amount of $$ and time that I put into them.
I now focus just on our incredible host plan, and what you can get for hosting a show, and that has helped my business so much more than any extra incentives. Like Beth, I will also offer an extra incentive if I think I am close to a goal, and it will help me meet it to offer the incentive. But that is usually either something I have on hand, or possibly a free show.

I agree with Becky and Beth. I didn't offer a single incentive in Sept or Oct and between the two months I had $12k in sales and will have over $4k in Nov. Our host program speaks for itself. I had one host get over $600 in FREE (no tax either) products. What other company can do that?!?!

Right now I am offering a very very small incentive to finish the year strong--a free cookbook to anyone who holds a show by the end of December. But this is VERY VERY rare for me. If you start constantly offering incentives, then your hosts and customers who pay full price or just get the regular host benefits will be very upset with you.

Pampered Chef has made it work for 27 years and there's no reason why we can't make it work for us too.

Di_Can_Cook said:

I am just stumbling upon this thread and noticed this post -- Di, do you realize that you are in essence STEALING from the company that pays your pay check? I don't mean to sound harsh but it is what it is -- this company is SO incredibly generous and what you are doing is ripping them off.
:grumpy:

dannyzmom said:
I am just stumbling upon this thread and noticed this post -- Di, do you realize that you are in essence STEALING from the company that pays your pay check? I don't mean to sound harsh but it is what it is -- this company is SO incredibly generous and what you are doing is ripping them off.
:grumpy:

yup, that's what it is no matter how you try to glaze it over.....just work the business like the company tells you and you too will be successful! It isn't brain surgery for God's sake!

Would you people please calm down???

As I've stated before, it was just an idea that I wanted to bounce of of you. I have not submitted the show and at this point, it looks like I'm not even going to. And if I do ever get enough in orders to actually submit it, instead of combining my measly amount of orders with somebody else's show, I plan to change the name of the host based on the HANDFUL of positive responses I saw here that corrected some of my misconceptions.

I am personally SICK of the personal attacks. When I told my director about this site, she said she did not recommend it because of the negativity. I could not see it then but I see it now. I'll be honest ... I don't know how much I am going to be back on this site.

Di - most people (that I personally know from this board) aren't attacking you. They are trying to make sure that new consultants, like yourself, don't get incorrect information. It can be difficult to see people trying to take more from a company we love. I just had a catalog show of about $300 where they wanted to put all four orders on one so they could split the shipping between the three people. They even had stoneware on that. I don't know if you've ever tried to mail stoneware, but it costs MUCH more than the measly $4 that we charge!!! (On another note, there is a stamping company who has great products but charges 10% shipping - there is no way they aren't making money on that!) I digress, so we want to nip incorrect information in the bud as well as help you to figure out how to "legally work the system" and achieve your goals.

Consider it nipped. Can we move on please?

I personally combine orders ONLY if a) there is a strong relationship between the people doing the combining and b) if the orders are small and the shipping becomes about 10 percent of the order. For instance, I can't see somebody paying $4 shipping on an $8 item. Other DS companies charge 10 percent shipping, and I think that's fair in most cases.

Anyway .. I'm still on the books with the other company. But sales have dried up, hence the reason I'm here. The commission is 10 percent higher too, but 10 percent of nothing is still nothing.

Even if people are not intentionally attacking here, it comes off that way. Everyone needs to note that TYPING IN ALL CAPS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE SCREAMING AT SOMEONE!!!!! As well as the use of multiple explanation points. Simply explaining the rules or options that need to be followed should not involve screaming. Try to imagine that you are standing face to face with someone before you start typing. Not only will the message be received better, but the person typing will not come off as a ........... There are a lot of posts that I come across and think "wow, I hope I don't run into her at conference."

fikibiff said:
Even if people are not intentionally attacking here, it comes off that way. Everyone needs to note that TYPING IN ALL CAPS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU ARE SCREAMING AT SOMEONE!!!!! As well as the use of multiple explanation points. Simply explaining the rules or options that need to be followed should not involve screaming. Try to imagine that you are standing face to face with someone before you start typing. Not only will the message be received better, but the person typing will not come off as a ........... There are a lot of posts that I come across and think "wow, I hope I don't run into her at conference."

When you post something like putting your cats name as the host for a show, you should really be prepared for what comes down the pike from this site.
I am personally trying to make sure that Di understands that this site has alot of intelligent and honest folks but this is not the place to come for the answers-HO or your Director are. There are people on this site that relish in getting an answer to you first whether it is right or not! I agree completely with Di's Director-I do not even tell my new Consultants about this site anymore because I don't want them to turn to this site instead of the resources we already have in place.
Thare are some good things about this site, like the files and recipes and most of the people, but know, Di, that when you put something in writing on here like you did about the cat, it will bite you in the hiney everytime!
I hope that you can put this one behind you and learn all you can about PC from your Director and fellow consultants~that is how it should be and was long before this site existed.
Good luck to you!

I mostly come here for the recipes and materials. Every once in a while I have a question and it is midnight when I think of it, and I can't call ANYBODY. I now realize it was a mistake to post it here. Not because I should have written it down and called somebody the next day, but because there are so many people who apparently take a misconception and throw it in your face days later.

I'm a moderator on another forum and am used to the people there, so I just expected this community to be the same. Silly me.

Anyway, I just realized I can edit my posts. I am debating whether to do so, but then again, my posts have been quoted and thrown in my face by others, so I really don't see the point.

Going to work now ...

Regardless of what is being said, we should all make the effort to go above and beyond to make sure that we are treating others the way we want to be treated.
Since it's hard to convey 'tone' in a forum like this, it's important that we do re-read our posts before submitting so we are sure that it can not be misconstrued as dishonoring someone.
Personally, I feel that when we dishonor others it's really a poor reflection on ourselves.

Sorry...kind long and rambled.
Di_Can_Cook said:
Consider it nipped. Can we move on please?

I personally combine orders ONLY if a) there is a strong relationship between the people doing the combining and b) if the orders are small and the shipping becomes about 10 percent of the order. For instance, I can't see somebody paying $4 shipping on an $8 item. Other DS companies charge 10 percent shipping, and I think that's fair in most cases.

Anyway .. I'm still on the books with the other company. But sales have dried up, hence the reason I'm here. The commission is 10 percent higher too, but 10 percent of nothing is still nothing.

Ok, no caps, no exclamation points...

I'm only going to stick my 2 cents in this once and I'm not saying that I have never added the old $2 tongs or a Season's Best onto another order because that's all they wanted, but I'm also not saying that it wasn't wrong to do that either.

I think that if you listen to what these ladies are saying you will start to look at things from another point of view (if you try to be open minded, which I know is hard to do when you are feeling attacked). But I was thinking...when I go to Old Navy's website and they have $5 shipping and I am shopping in the clearance section as I always do, I might find a really cute shirt on clearance for a few dollars, but you betcha I'm going to add something else to my order if I know it's $5 shipping no matter how much I order. If I find a $3 shirt and shipping is $5 it's no longer a good deal, but if I find 3 or 4 other great bargains, then shipping is only $1 or so on each item (still a great bargain).

So my point is, sometimes we try to do things to help our business and we are really just hurting ourselves. If the lady wants the $8 item and you stick to the policy, she might just increase her order. I have had it happen.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like a hypocrite. I admit that I'm not perfect, but these ladies are looking out for everyone's best interest and I respect that they are willing to take the bashing and negative comments that are being thrown back their way and still stick to their morals. They've been around for a while and have seen what works and what doesn't. Maybe there is a reason why "sales dried up". :rolleyes:

Ordering a host special for the consultant
stacywhitlow said:
Earn FREE products during Sell-a-thon and panarama. Take advantage of host special that the host doesn't purchase. Order products from the supply list. Then all of these can be used as incentive freebies.

Stacy,
How do you order the host special if your hostess doesn't order it. Do you add it to her order and pay for it yourself, and have her give it to you when it comes in?
Jez

Maybe there is a reason why "sales dried up".

Yes, there is a reason. The reason is that people in our area are very practical and tend to view the prior product line (jewelry) as a LUXURY. There were once four women in my church/circle of friends who sold it. There is now only one (the one who was my leader) and she has downsized her involvement considerably. I am not the only one who noticed it.

Sticking to your morals is one thing, but personal attacks are another. I am very hurt by the way I've been treated here, especially when I've said, time and time and time again, that I have thought better of the idea I had based on what I read here.

Thank you, TwinGirlsMom, for defending me.

Night all!

I know you think I attacked you but that couldn't be further from the truth. I even stated it wasn't personal toward you. That's not me. I would never attack anyONE (yes I know caps). I attack ideas that aren't ethical or are stretching things too far - not the person who gave the idea. You (a general you) need to be less sensitive when your ideas are corrected or questioned. It's not personal. Many come here for ideas and answers and it needs to be said over and over what is okay because there are always new people and they don't read all threads.

Sometimes I feel like the PC police, but judging from pms that I get thanking me for speaking up from people that say they wanted to say something but didn't want the attacks I get, I think someone should be a voice of reason and remind everyone of the "rules" and when they are crossing the line.

When I see ideas put forth that are obviously against company policy I feel that someone needs to stop that thought process. There are many young, inexperienced consultants on this board and many do take what is said here as bible. They don't go to HO or their director or their business guide. They come here. Putting your idea out here is not the bad thing - maybe you were just fishing for "is it okay to do this", I don't know.

You are new here and you don't know how many times people have come on and said that they did this or that to beat the system and get more from our very generous company.

For what it's worth, my philosophy has always been if (my mother, my husband, Jesus, the person I'm talking about) was behind me would I be embarrassed by what I just said or did?

Anyway, Di, I am sorry you feel it was personal. I wish you the best in your business and life.

Last edited:
TwinGirlsMom said:
Regardless of what is being said, we should all make the effort to go above and beyond to make sure that we are treating others the way we want to be treated.
Since it's hard to convey 'tone' in a forum like this, it's important that we do re-read our posts before submitting so we are sure that it can not be misconstrued as dishonoring someone.
Personally, I feel that when we dishonor others it's really a poor reflection on ourselves.

no one, and i mean no one, is dishonoring Di. when you come to this forum for help, you have to be very aware that what you are putting out there is going to be responded to by all types of people....hones and dishonest. several of us have been trying to let Di know that bending the rules is not the best way to start her business and by no means was anyone attacking her.

maybe the best thing to do is let this stop. i will not even be looking in this thread anymore and i hope all of you will do the same.

SO, that being said....it is now very cold (by my southern girl standards) here in Va. we woke up to 30 degrees this morning! how is it where you all are;)

BethCooks4U said:
I know you think I attacked you but that couldn't be further from the truth. I even stated it wasn't personal toward you. That's not me. I would never attack anyONE (yes I know caps). I attack ideas that aren't ethical or are stretching things too far - not the person who gave the idea. You (a general you) need to be less sensitive when your ideas are corrected or questioned. It's not personal. Many come here for ideas and answers and it needs to be said over and over what is okay because there are always new people and they don't read all threads.

Sometimes I feel like the PC police, but judging from pms that I get thanking me for speaking up from people that say they wanted to say something but didn't want the attacks I get, I think someone should be a voice of reason and remind everyone of the "rules" and when they are crossing the line.

When I see ideas put forth that are obviously against company policy I feel that someone needs to stop that thought process. There are many young, inexperienced consultants on this board and many do take what is said here as bible. They don't go to HO or their director or their business guide. They come here. Putting your idea out here is not the bad thing - maybe you were just fishing for "is it okay to do this", I don't know.

You are new here and you don't know how many times people have come on and said that they did this or that to beat the system and get more from our very generous company.

For what it's worth, my philosophy has always been if (my mother, my husband, Jesus, the person I'm talking about) was behind me would I be embarrassed by what I just said or did?

Anyway, Di, I am sorry you feel it was personal. I wish you the best in your business and life.

Beth, I think I speak for all of us (and probably for HO as well) when i say that we appreciate the fact that you help point out what is right and help to point people in the right direction so they can be successful in their business.

It's all good ....

I've done some thinking, and I thought I needed to say the following before I stopped posting in this thread.

I realize I need to adjust my expectations. This is a new group of people that, bottom line, I really don't know.

I realize that maybe I need to have a thicker skin. I also realize that many of you are very zealous (and in your zeal, may have forgotten, just for a moment, how things you say may be perceived by others.

I don't appreciate my words being taken out of context, especially when I point out, in numerous posts, that the idea was one I had thought better of. And I REALLY don't appreciate being called a thief for something I have not even done, something I had decided, upon further reflection, not to do.

For the record, I am not able to turn this show in at this time. An order I had been promised has fallen through for the time being. The orders I have will probably be combined with another show. So the point of who was going to host the show is now moot.

I do appreciate posts that have served as a "voice of reason" but since I have stated, time and time and time again, that I have thought better of an idea I posted about several pages ago, I am begging you, CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON and GET BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD?

THE POINT OF THE THREAD IS THIS:

I come to this business with three years of direct sales experience, with a very different mindset in many ways. In three years, I never made a profit, something I was determined to change with PC. And then I come here, and see people making their own sales, offering gift certificates, giving 20 percent discounts, and I wonder how in the world any of you are making money at this.

That is what I wanted to discuss here ... not an idea I brought up in one post (which I would delete if it hadn't been quoted so many times.)

To move this on to a lighter note:

It is cold here. Since this is a regional cold front, I imagine that it is frozen over in Hell, Michigan. And that is what I pretty much thought the forecast would be before I posted here again, but I have thought better of it. If we can return to the point of this conversation, I will read the posts. If not, I will move on.

Blessings,

Di

Di,
The incentives are completely optional and usually tied to some goal you are trying to achive.

For example, I love it when a host has a $1000 show. To help this happen, I offer $20 additional free product value if the host has 5 outside orders before her show (includes web orders). Since the average PC order is $50, five orders usually equates to $200-300 in sales. Having this amount of sales before her show, can be wonderfully motivating for the host. ;)

This offer doesn't actually cost me $20. I apply her host discount to the $20 in product value, and pay the difference as a consultant gift. I spend around $14.50...more than worth it to me for a $1000 show.

As for your question about whether one can make money as a PC consultant: yes. :blushing:

leggy

A good incetive I have heard is to tell the host that if she hits a $1000 show then she can have unlimited half price items. You add the items to the host's order, she pays half, you get the host's % off and your commission, so it costs you nothing, but you also make nothing on those orders. In long run you have just put your host in the $1000 show mindset, boosted your incentive points, and your actual sales (for Sell A Thon and such). HTH

pamperedposey said:
A good incetive I have heard is to tell the host that if she hits a $1000 show then she can have unlimited half price items. You add the items to the host's order, she pays half, you get the host's % off and your commission, so it costs you nothing, but you also make nothing on those orders. In long run you have just put your host in the $1000 show mindset, boosted your incentive points, and your actual sales (for Sell A Thon and such). HTH

What a great thought! I love this and am going to have to coach like this from now on!

Di, I have given incentives in the past, but have decided to just get over it and let the already wonderful host benefits do the job.

As for people making money with PC...oh yeah, baby!!!:)

Also, I see your point about the threads on here-it could really make one think we were all spending what we made on incentives. I think it may be the time of year-with the end of the year comes the end of the incentive trip earning period and that may prompt folks to do things they would not normally do to earn the level they set their sites on!

<h2>1. How do I offer discounts or promotional items for my catalog shows?</h2><p>As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have the option to offer discounts or promotional items to hostesses who hold catalog shows. You can do this by using the host discount, which allows the hostess to receive a percentage off their total order based on the sales from the show. Alternatively, you can also choose to pay for the discount or promotional item out of your own pocket as a gift to the hostess.</p><h2>2. Can I offer discounts on my own products as incentives?</h2><p>Yes, you can offer discounts on your own products as incentives for catalog shows. This can be done by using the host discount or by offering a specific discount amount or percentage to the hostess. Just make sure to communicate the details of the discount or incentive clearly to the hostess and include it in your show agreement.</p><h2>3. How can I offer gift certificates as incentives?</h2><p>To offer gift certificates as incentives for catalog shows, you can purchase them from the Pampered Chef website or create your own using the customizable gift certificate templates available in your consultant's toolbox. You can then present the gift certificate to the hostess as a thank you for hosting a successful show.</p><h2>4. What other promotional items can I offer as incentives?</h2><p>Aside from discounts and gift certificates, you can also offer other promotional items to your hostesses as incentives. This can include free products, special bundles, or even exclusive hostess-only products. Be creative and think of items that your hostesses would appreciate and enjoy.</p><h2>5. How do I make sure that offering incentives doesn't impact my profits?</h2><p>Offering discounts and promotional items can be a great way to boost your catalog show sales, but it's important to consider the impact on your profits. Make sure to factor in the cost of the incentives when setting your prices and be strategic in choosing which incentives to offer. You can also limit the number of incentives available or set a minimum sales amount for the hostess to qualify for the incentive to ensure that it doesn't affect your profits too much.</p>

1. How do I offer discounts or promotional items for my catalog shows?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have the option to offer discounts or promotional items to hostesses who hold catalog shows. You can do this by using the host discount, which allows the hostess to receive a percentage off their total order based on the sales from the show. Alternatively, you can also choose to pay for the discount or promotional item out of your own pocket as a gift to the hostess.

2. Can I offer discounts on my own products as incentives?

Yes, you can offer discounts on your own products as incentives for catalog shows. This can be done by using the host discount or by offering a specific discount amount or percentage to the hostess. Just make sure to communicate the details of the discount or incentive clearly to the hostess and include it in your show agreement.

3. How can I offer gift certificates as incentives?

To offer gift certificates as incentives for catalog shows, you can purchase them from the Pampered Chef website or create your own using the customizable gift certificate templates available in your consultant's toolbox. You can then present the gift certificate to the hostess as a thank you for hosting a successful show.

4. What other promotional items can I offer as incentives?

Aside from discounts and gift certificates, you can also offer other promotional items to your hostesses as incentives. This can include free products, special bundles, or even exclusive hostess-only products. Be creative and think of items that your hostesses would appreciate and enjoy.

5. How do I make sure that offering incentives doesn't impact my profits?

Offering discounts and promotional items can be a great way to boost your catalog show sales, but it's important to consider the impact on your profits. Make sure to factor in the cost of the incentives when setting your prices and be strategic in choosing which incentives to offer. You can also limit the number of incentives available or set a minimum sales amount for the hostess to qualify for the incentive to ensure that it doesn't affect your profits too much.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Brandie
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • Melissa Burkett
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • chefcook