• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Host Success: Tips for Overcoming Challenges in Direct Sales

In summary, the speaker has been experiencing problems with hosting parties for their business for over a year. They have had multiple cancellations and reschedulings, leading to wasted time and effort. They have tried offering incentives and suggestions, but still struggle to get people to attend. The speaker is embarrassed to ask their director for advice and has had success with smaller parties. They also suggest reaching out to potential guests in different circles and offering free products for bringing a friend.
MaddyandOwensMom
I started with PC a bit over a year ago and feel that I have had host problems from the start. First I'll say that I absolutely know I should be doing lots more. I totally live outside my comfort zone with this business and I know it holds me back, but I do enjoy it and it's why I keep going.

I know I'm not the best host coach; I take full responsibility for my lack of experience and effort. However, my biggest problems are people booking, taking or having me mail them the host packet and then cancelling and never rescheduling. I have had this probably a good 5-7 times (I've only had about 15 actual cooking shows-we adopted a toddler in the Spring and he is great but is very demanding of time and energy! I took the whole summer off helping him adjust). I try to reschedule, but often its just "I can't, I'm too busy, try me another month." I've had numerous cancellations/reschedulings for "nobody is coming." I hold my breath every night before a show, because chances are, it will be rescheduled or cancelled outright. I am now out my time and effort as well as money I spent on the host packet. I had three shows cancel in last week due to literally one or two people being able to come.

Like I said, I feel like this has been since day one. My first host wanted a show but didn't want to invite anyone. I could only get ten addresses out of her and she wouldn't ask anyone else. I had four show scheduled last October and was so excited. Everyone of them rescheduled and it ended up being two in late October and two in November, two with very low attendance.

I have started adding a $15 incentive to keep the original date which has worked some of the time. But there is nothing I can do when no one is coming and I have given mutiple suggestions on how get more people to the shows. I also have not offered to send out the invites (which has also been a problem for some hosts) because we are really tight on money and I can't lay it out in advance and hope to get reimbursed later.

Any advice would be welome. I feel too embarrassed to go to my director with this although she is great. Thanks in advance!
Jessica Mitchell-Judd

MaddyandOwensMom said:
I feel too embarrassed to go to my director with this although she is great. Thanks in advance!
Jessica Mitchell-Judd

I have a problem with this. You shouldn't be embarrassed to ask your director!!! If you succeed, she benefits, too! Has she done something to make you feel embarrassed to ask questions?

Also, did you lose the original thread you started? We had some pretty good ideas going on there!

I'd go ahead with a show even if only 1 or 2 people have RSVPd.

Maybe it's just me, because you can get to know the guests better at smaller shows and see what they are interested in getting. Also, you can do more host coaching on follow-up outside orders.

My last show was $700. Four guests, and only $120 of that was in outside orders. You never know what those 1 or 2 people might buy...

My last 4 shows have only had 2 people and the hostess. Not outrageous numbers, but all over $400 in sales. Just keep at it. I have been a hobby consultant according to my numbers, but I just keep going. Do the shows with fewer people, it really helps with your presentation and your confidence. Another thing I do is not to give them the host packet unless they can meet me in person. I do send out invitations and I usually bring the food, I just tell the host when we meet that she needs to reimburse me the cash, but she gets it back in the $15 host benefit. I really do know how you feel. I want to do at least 4 shows a month, but I am averaging only 1-2.

Try to get to know her and then help her increase the guest list. Did you talk to your child's teacher? moms at dance class? send a catalog for your husband's break room? out of town family? neighbors? Help her think of people in various circles.

I always put "bring a friend, get a free product." My bookings at a show usually come from one of these friends since they don't know the crowd that well.

Have her keep a list of everyone she has given a catalog to and who might order. Outside orders make a HUGE difference in the success of a show.

Before sending them a host packet, have a nice chat with them about your expectations - 40 people, give catalog to those not attending, follow up phone calls. If she knows ahead of time then she's less likely to cancel.

Before I joined PC in September I hosted a show in August (with no plans to become a consultant, I just wanted free stuff!). The consultant who did my show sent me the labels to fill out and send back to her. She mailed my invitations but with my guest list I had to mail a check to cover the postage. that might be an option for you.

You have admitted that your host coaching leaves something to be desired. Is it possible that your hosts interpret this as you not taking your business seriously, and since you don't they won't either?

Please take this next piece of advice in the way it was intended (to be helpful), and not as harsh or mean. I think that you are now finding that your lack of commitment to your hosts is coming back to bite you in the behind. If this is something that you like to do and want to continue then you need to change some things. It's only fair to the host and (maybe more importantly) yourself. Like you said, you are putting in the money to send the host packet and all. Now you need to follow up with some good host coaching. And think of it this way, you already have them lined up on your calendar, they will be expecting you to call. It's not like a customer care call that is more "out of the blue".

Again, I hope that what I said wasn't too harsh. I just think that you already know why the cancelations and poor attendance is happening, now you just need to make an adjustment to correct it.

I honestly hope that helps. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for the help! The reason the post is up twice is because I tried to edit it and it posted again by accident.

Some of the ideas mentioned I have already done-I have special lables for the invites with the theme, bring a guest, and the guest special on them. I have had no luck with my husband's place of business. I've tried several times actually and absolutely no one is interested. I'm considering having my mom take some things to her gym and I don't know if I can leave anything at my daughter's dance class. I've looked for other business cards and have not seen any. DD's teachers will all be getting Pampered Chef products for Christmas.

To Sarah-I think that I do have a lack of commitment to the business because at first I was very timid and was dealing with friends who felt they could take advantage and now my priority is my kids, especially DS. I have felt very torn, especially this past summer when it was all about him and I didn't know if I could keep the business going at all. My parents (mind you, I'm 40) have been trying to get me to quit since my first show. They are very much against Direct Selling and keep saying how people will feel obligated, they only book to be nice, and hey, you can get 12 peices of cookware at Target for $19.99! It's very hard for me to get all that out of my head.

That said, I think that I'm still overcoming all of this and making slow, but steady progress. I try to remember that a host hires me. I think this problem of not really giving my host all I can is because I do feel like I'm bothering her with more things she has to do and they won't think that it's easy and fun. This probably conveys to her that it's just a hobby for me and not a real business.

Sarah, I don't think it was harsh at all, just probably pretty close to the truth. If I display confidence and take myself seriously, they will as well.

I will also consider doing the shows for just a couple of guests. I just don't want the host to be disappointed if they don't get anything but the host special or if it doesn't make it to a show.

Thaks again for the help!
Jessica Mitchell-Judd

Jessica,

I think that you are on your way to making things better just by acknowledging the issue. Good Luck and I wish you the best for your future shows! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to add that I have wonderful directors! Sometimes I am just intimidated by all their success. I feel like I am letting them down by having all these cancellations. This is probably just my perception and not reality!
Jessica

Jessica - don't feel like you are letting them down. Think of it this way. A teacher is not successful if she doesn't help her students to succeed. It is the same way with directors!!

Hey, Jessica!

All of us have aspects of our business we are not happy with - be it host coaching, following up on leads, the actual demo, show cleanup, not leaving things behind, flyers, numbers of recruits, retention of recruits, cluster meetings, running reports, sales goals...

What makes this so business fantastic is - you! You decide what you want to improve, and what suits you the way it is, now. One of the easiest steps I would suggest, are to look on here for some host coaching tips, and put them in postcard format and mail them to your hosts. Merril may have some, or you can find some past ones from Nancy's Artworks Nancy's Artworks.

Tom Marsten, a circle of honor awardee and million dollar seller, rarely if ever did a single host coaching call - but he spent quality time with hosts by booking them at the show, then followed up with well-timed post cards and came very prepared for his shows.

A way to increase sales, is to realize there are 4-5 families of high end products in the catalog: Simple Additions, Forged Cutlery, Stoneware, Cookware, Chilzanne, Woven Selections. Also know absolutely everything about classic items like batter bowls, food chopper, Ultimate Mandoline, cooling racks, Easy Accent decorator. Base your shows on classic items, and incorporate at least two of those high end families in your show by cooking with one, and serving/talking about benefits of the other while dish is cooking. Also, practice some of the art of 'cross selling' which is talking up how a product someone has their eye on, goes so well with another product or another line.

Lastly, use the resources PC gives you - Consultant's corner is truly a gift. There is so much valuable training available there, more if you look for it. Pick your director's brain, go to other consultant's shows to watch and learn, and swipe a few of their techniques for yourself.

Keep us posted - we're rooting for you! God Bless! Take Care.

-praying for Paige and her family-

Related to Maximizing Host Success: Tips for Overcoming Challenges in Direct Sales

What are some tips for turning a recipe around if it's not turning out as expected?

1. Adjust the cooking temperature: If your dish is cooking too quickly or too slowly, try adjusting the temperature to achieve the desired doneness.

2. Add more liquid: If your dish is too dry, try adding a little more liquid such as broth, water, or even wine to add moisture and prevent it from drying out.

3. Season to taste: Sometimes a dish can be saved simply by adjusting the seasonings. Taste your dish and add more salt, pepper, or other spices as needed.

4. Use a timer: Keeping a close eye on the cooking time can help prevent over or undercooking. Set a timer to ensure your dish is cooked for the appropriate amount of time.

5. Follow the recipe: Make sure you are following the recipe correctly and using the recommended ingredients and measurements. Small mistakes can make a big difference in the outcome of a dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaddyandOwensMom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
MaddyandOwensMom
  • Laura Kavanaugh
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Niki Kate
  • augmommychef