• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Book Cooking Shows? How Can I Turn It Around?

In summary, the speaker has been experiencing difficulties as a PC consultant, with only two shows a month at most. Their biggest problem is people booking shows and then cancelling or not rescheduling, despite their efforts to encourage them to do so. The speaker has taken responsibility for their lack of experience and effort in host coaching, and has tried various tactics such as offering incentives and making phone calls during a designated time each week. They are seeking advice on how to improve their host coaching skills.
MaddyandOwensMom
This is my first post, so forgive me if I go on!

I started with PC a bit over a year ago and feel that I have had host problems from the start. First I'll say that I absolutely know I should be doing lots more. I totally live outside my comfort zone with this business and I know it holds me back.

About 6 months ago, my DH and I adopted our 2nd child-a 2 1/2 year old boy with a cleft palatte. Naturally, all the focus has been on him. He's great, but very time consuming and demanding. Everything went on hold and I rededicated myself this Sept. Still, I'm really stuck with only two shows a month at most.

I know I'm not the best host coach; I take full responsibility for my lack of experience and effort. However, my biggest problems are people booking, taking (or having me mail them) the host packet and then cancelling and never rescheduling. I have had this probably a good 5-7 times (I've only had about 15 actual cooking shows). I try to reschedule, but often its just "I can't, I'm too busy, etc." I've had numerous cancellations/reschedulings for "nobody is coming." I hold my breath every night before a show, because chances are, it will be rescheduled or cancelled outright. I am now out my time and effort as well as money I spent on the host packet. I had four shows cancel in the past month due to literally to one or two people coming.

Like I said, I feel like this has been since day one. My first host wanted a show but didn't want to invite anyone ( she had three people, I did a "practice" show for my mom and two friends, and scrounged for two extra orders). I had four show scheduled last October and was so excited. Everyone of them rescheduled and it ended up being two in late October and two in November. And so it goes on.

I have started adding a $15 incentive to keep the original date which has worked some of the time. But there is nothing I can do when no one is coming and I have given mutiple suggestions on how get more people to the shows.

Any advice would be welome. I feel too embarrassed to go to my director with this although she is great. Thaks in advance!
Jessica Mitchell-Judd

First off, know that you are not alone!!! Secondly, have you taken the online training courses? If not, start there!!! Also, there are teleclasses you can take, too.Now, when it comes to host coaching, I have had to do a few things different so I WOULD actually do it. I set up a two hour block to do host coaching once a week. Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:30 is what works for me. I do the host coaching calls first, then make other calls (booking, recruiting, customer care) if I have any time left. I make myself stay on that phone for those two hours. This is the ONLY marathon phone time I have each week.The actual host coaching has changed for me along the way. It is difficult to write it all down, but I would be happy to go over it with you on the phone IF your director is not available to you.

MaddyandOwensMom said:
This is my first post, so forgive me if I go on!

I started with PC a bit over a year ago and feel that I have had host problems from the start. First I'll say that I absolutely know I should be doing lots more. I totally live outside my comfort zone with this business and I know it holds me back.

About 6 months ago, my DH and I adopted our 2nd child-a 2 1/2 year old boy with a cleft palatte. Naturally, all the focus has been on him. He's great, but very time consuming and demanding. Everything went on hold and I rededicated myself this Sept. Still, I'm really stuck with only two shows a month at most.

I know I'm not the best host coach; I take full responsibility for my lack of experience and effort. However, my biggest problems are people booking, taking (or having me mail them) the host packet and then cancelling and never rescheduling. I have had this probably a good 5-7 times (I've only had about 15 actual cooking shows). I try to reschedule, but often its just "I can't, I'm too busy, etc." I've had numerous cancellations/reschedulings for "nobody is coming." I hold my breath every night before a show, because chances are, it will be rescheduled or cancelled outright. I am now out my time and effort as well as money I spent on the host packet. I had four shows cancel in the past month due to literally to one or two people coming.

Like I said, I feel like this has been since day one. My first host wanted a show but didn't want to invite anyone ( she had three people, I did a "practice" show for my mom and two friends, and scrounged for two extra orders). I had four show scheduled last October and was so excited. Everyone of them rescheduled and it ended up being two in late October and two in November. And so it goes on.

I have started adding a $15 incentive to keep the original date which has worked some of the time. But there is nothing I can do when no one is coming and I have given mutiple suggestions on how get more people to the shows.

Any advice would be welome. I feel too embarrassed to go to my director with this although she is great. Thaks in advance!
Jessica Mitchell-Judd

Jessica, Kate has already addressed some of your questions and concerns....but I wanted to address the one I bolded.

I remember when I first started being so sick of last minute cancellations....and that fear of the dreaded phone call that no one was coming. It was awful - and I can relate to your phrase about holding your breath! What I found that solved that problem for me was I began to mail out the invitations for my hosts. I know that initially, it is some expense....but if the alternative is no show at all, then the expense seems minimal. I rarely have cancellations anymore, and when I do have them, I either know about them in advance, or they are because of a last minute emergency.
Here are the 2 sheets I put in my Host packet that speak to this:

Attachments

• CO - Host Letter revised(3).doc
    77 KB · Views: 347
  • CO - Guest List.doc
    84.5 KB · Views: 239
I also send out the invitations. The host doesn't get a host kit until I get the guest list. I make sure to tell them that I only use the list for the show (I even had to get an email address from a customer at a show and she asked if I already had it since I had emailed her. The host interjected that I only use the guest list for the show - pretty sweet!). And, I call it a host KIT so they know it is everything they need in order to have a great show instead of just a packet of info.

I'd take the $15 you are offering to hosts to keep their original date and put it toward postage and send the invitations for your host. Since I've been doing this, I've had 3 shows cancel in 3 years.

The other thing I did to get myself out of my bookings slump was 1. work with my director on coaching calls and 2. follow the 2 bookings from every show rule. This came from Linda Bowles. Here's what it is... I need to get 2 shows booked before my next show. I have a show tonight. If I don't get 2 shows dated on my calendar tonight, I have to get on the phone and get 2 shows booked on my calendare before my next show which is on Friday. She gave me this advice in June. It was a slow start but I have averaged $3500 in sales each month since August. June & July were my get-it-going months... June I had 2 shows, July I had 2 shows, August I had 4 and Sept & October I had six each. Following that system has worked wonders for me & my business!

I'd definitely do what Kate suggested and get on the online courses. They are awesome!

Good luck --- keep us posted!

finley1991 said:
I'd take the $15 you are offering to hosts to keep their original date and put it toward postage and send the invitations for your host. Since I've been doing this, I've had 3 shows cancel in 3 years.

The other thing I did to get myself out of my bookings slump was 1. work with my director on coaching calls and 2. follow the 2 bookings from every show rule. This came from Linda Bowles. Here's what it is... I need to get 2 shows booked before my next show. I have a show tonight. If I don't get 2 shows dated on my calendar tonight, I have to get on the phone and get 2 shows booked on my calendare before my next show which is on Friday. She gave me this advice in June. It was a slow start but I have averaged $3500 in sales each month since August. June & July were my get-it-going months... June I had 2 shows, July I had 2 shows, August I had 4 and Sept & October I had six each. Following that system has worked wonders for me & my business!

I'd definitely do what Kate suggested and get on the online courses. They are awesome!

Good luck --- keep us posted!

Colleen - I've started following your 2 bookings per show rule.....I'll let you know how it goes. I like the idea.

JESSICA - the other thing I would suggest is that you talk to your director and enlist her help! She wants you to succeed, and I don't think she would think badly of you for what you are going through - we've all been there! She has been there too!

Let me know how it goes Becky!

Thanks for all your help! And I'm sorry I posted this twice-all I was looking to do was edit the misspelled title!

I like the idea of the guest list before the packet/kit (like that too) and the postage instead of the $15. Do you ask just for addresses or phone numbers too to do confirmations? I know some hosts are very hesitant to give addresses let alone phone numbers. I would think that the hosts also needed some extra to hand out, say at work if they don't have addresses.

I also like the block of time for phone calls. It's going to be tough to find a block, but I think I definately need to set time every week. The only time I get to myself is 8:45AM-9:45 AM on Tuesdays and people are generally not home. DH doesn't get home until 7PM and then bedtime for the kids between 8-9 by the time everyone passes out. I think once or twice a week he might have to pick up more or the slack. He's supportive, but I think he's just going to have to realize that if nothing gets done during the day (phone calls with two preschoolers running around? Not likely :) ), I'm going to have to do something at night.

Ironically, my Sunday just called postponing to the Spring because none of her guests are coming do to the kids' football game. She does however have several orders for me so at least I can earn the new Spring Product, but with 3 shows, i was hoping for at least Level 1. I should see what I can book perhaps for the end of the month.

I have taken a few teleclasses, but not enough. Again, trying for that block of time! Probably Tuesdays will need to be it.
Thanks again!
Jessica

Jessica,

I've found that hosts are NOT hesitatnt to give me the addresses of their friends... especially if it's going to make life easier for them!

Also, I make all of my calls in the morning between 9:30 and 10:30am. I rarely call in the evenings. I tracked my calls once and called at my normal time for a week and then in the evenings for a week and found that I was actually able to get ahold of more people in the morning than at night. Plus, if I don't have a show, the evening is mine and I don't want to spend it working so I call during the day.

Most of the teleclasses are now recorded so you can listen to them in blocks when you have time and don't have to commit to a whole hour long session.

Good luck!

MaddyandOwensMom said:
Ironically, my Sunday just called postponing to the Spring because none of her guests are coming do to the kids' football game. She does however have several orders for me so at least I can earn the new Spring Product, but with 3 shows, i was hoping for at least Level 1. I should see what I can book perhaps for the end of the month.

See if the orders she has are enough to make it a catalog show (or if she wants time to get a few more to do so) then book her spring show off this catalog show.

MaddyandOwensMom said:
Thanks for all your help! And I'm sorry I posted this twice-all I was looking to do was edit the misspelled title!

I like the idea of the guest list before the packet/kit (like that too) and the postage instead of the $15. Do you ask just for addresses or phone numbers too to do confirmations? I know some hosts are very hesitant to give addresses let alone phone numbers. I would think that the hosts also needed some extra to hand out, say at work if they don't have addresses.

I also like the block of time for phone calls. It's going to be tough to find a block, but I think I definately need to set time every week. The only time I get to myself is 8:45AM-9:45 AM on Tuesdays and people are generally not home. DH doesn't get home until 7PM and then bedtime for the kids between 8-9 by the time everyone passes out. I think once or twice a week he might have to pick up more or the slack. He's supportive, but I think he's just going to have to realize that if nothing gets done during the day (phone calls with two preschoolers running around? Not likely :) ), I'm going to have to do something at night.

I have taken a few teleclasses, but not enough. Again, trying for that block of time! Probably Tuesdays will need to be it.
Thanks again!
Jessica

I haven't had a problem with host giving me addresses - I let them know I use the addresses ONLY for their invitations, and do not mail or call anyone who hasn't personally given me their info, or indicated that they want me to contact them. I actually have repeat hosts who have me keep their list on file, and then ask me to email their list to them, and then they change/add to it and email it back to me for their current show!

Also - I always include 5-8 postcard invites in the packet for them to hand out to people. I tell them those are for people they may see on a regular basis, but don't have an address for - coworkers, hairdresser, kids teachers, etc.....and if they need more, I give them more. I have a host for next week who gave me 25 addresses to mail, and asked for 25 more to hand out at work.

Thanks again! Yes, my host does have enough for a catalogue show. So if I book her Spring show from this one she could get two host specials at the time of the cooking show? I have also asked her to keep getting orders until we meet on Monday.

With the addresses, I found that there was one host who just refused to give me the addresses for her outside orders, but now that I say I need it in case there is a question about the order, everyone is OK with it. I did have one party where people wouldn't hand in the survey or write their addresses down. I guess I'm going off that experience. But I will definately start doing the invites myself.

I will continute to try calling in the AM and to get some time to do the teleclasses. My cluster even has an incentive to take them! I REALLY need to prioritize myself first sometimes!
Jessica

I don't give them a choice. One of the first things I tell them when they book a show (and when I'm talking about bookings during the show) is I make it very easy for my hosts. I send out the invitations, make the reminder calls and only use the information for the show itself. As for calling, use the time YOU have. Days are busy for me, which is why I set up a night block. If you need to host coach via voice mail and email, do that. My director only does calls during the day. She asks for a number where they can be reached during the day and schedules the call with them. If I have a busy host, I'll schedule a call, too. If Wednesday evenings don't work for them, we'll find time that does or I leave a 1 minute message with fun, upbeat info for them.

Yes she can get two host specials at the time of the spring cooking show, one as host and one as guest. She would have to pay the shipping on the guest one, but to me it's definitely worth the 4 dollar shipping!

I just e-mailed my postponed show with more info on how to gather more orders. She is my hairdresser so I know she can touch base with lots of people. I realized that I use a lot of language that is "iffy" such as "if you have your show." I changed it to "when you have your show." And I told her about the booking and that she "will" get two specials.

I'll keep you up to date!
Jessica

1. How do I turn it around if my cake is stuck in the pan?

If your cake is stuck in the pan, place a hot, damp towel on the bottom of the pan for a few minutes. This will help loosen the cake and make it easier to remove.

2. How do I turn it around if my vegetables are overcooked?

If your vegetables are overcooked, you can try adding some ice to the pot or pan to quickly cool them down. This will stop the cooking process and help salvage your vegetables.

3. How do I turn it around if my meat is dry?

If your meat is dry, try slicing it and adding some broth or sauce to it. This will help add moisture and flavor back into the meat.

4. How do I turn it around if my sauce is too salty?

If your sauce is too salty, you can try adding a peeled potato to the sauce and letting it simmer for a few minutes. The potato will absorb some of the saltiness and can be removed before serving.

5. How do I turn it around if my dish is too spicy?

If your dish is too spicy, you can try adding a dairy product, such as yogurt or sour cream, to help balance out the spice. You can also try adding some sugar or honey to help counteract the heat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaddyandOwensMom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
BlueMoon
  • wmrmgr
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies