• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Host Benefits: What Happens When a Show Doesn't Reach $150?

order?... and tell her that I'm sorry, but the trifle bowl and other sets she ordered will not be coming with the order. I explain that the cost of shipping for this particular order was more than the cost of the items themselves, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are submitting it as an April show remember to 'push' the trifle bowl and other sets for Mother's Day Presents. That could make up the difference..Or ask her if she needs something for a wedding coming up she could order it under the recipients name but pay for it under the host's line that way the guarantee follows the recipient.
ChefCat
What happens if you have a show that doesn't reach $150? Can you submit the orders as a show if the host doesn't reach $150 in guest sales? I understand there would be no host benefits, but would the guests still get shipping at $4.25 or would it just be considered individual orders with full shipping?

Individual orders with full shipping.

chefmoseley said:

That is what I thought, but it never hurts to ask right? Thank you for the quick response. =)

You can always submit those orders at another show. Or if the host is not too far from the $150 she can put in an order as a guest and then order the host specials as the host. :)

chefmoseley said:

That's kinda crappy.
Doesn't that make some people mad when you have to tell them that?

What is the full shipping amount? How do you figure that for the customer?

I think PC should just make shipping a flat rate of $4.25 no matter what. I mean, they make so much money it's not like they need to charge full price for shipping. I dunno, that's just my opinion.

emiscookin said:
That's kinda crappy.

I think PC should just make shipping a flat rate of $4.25 no matter what. I mean, they make so much money it's not like they need to charge full price for shipping. I dunno, that's just my opinion.

The shipping charges are listed on the back of the receipts....

Wow - do you realize how much shipping charges are? I just ordered 2 wallpaper borders for my son's room...and it was $9 shipping. WAAAYYYY more than PC charges for the same $$ amount.

It doesn't make good business sense for PC to EAT the shipping costs, although they actually already do eat part of it. If you were to take the same thing that PC ships out, and send it yourself, you would quickly learn that PC is already giving people a good deal on shipping. Try shipping a couple large stones once, and see how much you spend in shipping. LOL.

ilovpc said:
You can always submit those orders at another show. Or if the host is not too far from the $150 she can put in an order as a guest and then order the host specials as the host. :)

Good idea to add the orders to another show, but the show in question of not reaching $150 is out of state. I think she has more orders though so it shouldn't be a problem at all. I was just wondering 'what if?'. =)

ChefBeckyD said:
The shipping charges are listed on the back of the receipts....

It doesn't make good business sense for PC to EAT the shipping costs, although they actually already do eat part of it. If you were to take the same thing that PC ships out, and send it yourself, you would quickly learn that PC is already giving people a good deal on shipping. Try shipping a couple large stones once, and see how much you spend in shipping. LOL.

I did this once with one of my hosts just to "see". On each shipping container it tells how much it weighs. You as the consultant KNOW how much $$ was spent in shipping to the host on that show. Add together the total weights of the packages and the $$ spent on shipping to host. There's a tool on the USPS website to figure out the amount of shipping for a certain weight.

More often than not, the cost to ship is MORE than what was paid in. Plus shipping by FedEx generally costs 2 or 3 TIMES as much as shipping by USPS.

It's amazing to see how much PC eats in the cost of shipping.

If you are submitting it as an April show remember to 'push' the trifle bowl and other sets for Mother's Day Presents. That could make up the difference..Or ask her if she needs something for a wedding coming up she could order it under the recipients name but pay for it under the host's line that way the guarantee follows the recipient.

ShelbyMichalek said:
It's amazing to see how much PC eats in the cost of shipping.

While I do agree that they do probably absorb some of the shipping cost, I doubt they lose as much as the difference you're seeing. They have a contract, which I'm sure gives them much lower rates than what you and I can get retail, even with our PC discount.

When I have this happen, I do something like this:First off (you probably already have done this) I thank the host for the orders but tell her that unfortunately she hasn't reached $150. It has to reach that for her guests to get the flat shipping rate and for her to get free shipping on her order. I tell her how short the show is and roughly how many orders it would take to make it. I encourage her to send out an email to everyone in their e-mail address book letting them know of their show. I ask if they have any weddings, birthdays, coming up. Or if they want to get a Mother's Day or Father's Day gift now. I try to stay upbeat and positive about it and try to encourage them that they can do it! :) Hopefully she pulls through for you.

emiscookin said:
That's kinda crappy.

I think that you have to consider that additional cost on their side. EVerything would have to be picked individually, packed and shipped to different addresses. The shows actually get a "break" for shipping it all to the same location in one chunk. There is alot that happens on the backside that the cose supports.

I've had this happen about four or five times in five years. I made the mistake of bumping up the order to $150 with orders I got outside of the hostess' party, in order to submit it on a timely basis. The only way I could handle that, was to have the party shipped to me, and I did the sorting and had her pick up her guests orders from me. One time, I felt so bad for the hostess who had ten guests with very small orders. She could not affort to make up the shortfall, and I could not give her even the $15 minimum for hosting a party. I ended up giving her a few "fat quarters" because both of us are Quilters. I think I had my Mom place the make up order on that one. It really all depends on whether you are going for some incentive, how much you might be willing to compromise, to get the order submitted.

Last edited:
Grandmarita said:
I've had this happen about four or five times in five years. I made the mistake of bumping up the order to $150 with orders I got outside of the hostess' party, in order to submit it on a timely basis. The only way I could handle that, was to have the party shipped to me, and I did the sorting and had her pick up her guests orders from me. One time, I felt so bad for the hostess who had ten guests with very small orders. She could not affort to make up the shortfall, and I could not give her even the $15 minimum for hosting a party. I ended up giving her a few "fat quarters" because both of us are Quilters. I think I had my Mom place the make up order on that one. It really all depends on whether you are going for some incentive, how much you might be willing to compromise, to get the order submitted.

That's great!! At least you were able to give her a 'consolation prize' and because it had to do with her "interests" it probably meant a lot to her as a 'loyal customer'.
I think when a host tries REALLY hard to get the sales it's worth giving them something as a "thank you" for trying!

Regarding shipping, the major thing no one mentioned is that the $4.25 is what the guests are charge for OVERNIGHT shipping. The turn around times from the submit to ship would be extended by almost a week without that overnight shipping. I placed a $60.00 order, 2 pound package, with another DS company. I paid $6, 10%, for shipping and it took 3 weeks and 2 days to get my product. No kidding our guests save on shipping!

I know - I just ordered some clothing - very light stuff - a couple t-shirts, and a pair of capri's....it's shipping smart(stupid)post, so you know it will travel all around the USA before finally getting here. I paid $9.95 shipping.

1. What products are included in a Show Under $150?

In a Show Under $150, you can choose any combination of products from our catalog that adds up to a total of $150 or less. This can include cookware, bakeware, kitchen tools, and more.

2. Can I use discounts or promotions on a Show Under $150?

Yes, you can use any applicable discounts or promotions on a Show Under $150. However, the total amount after the discount must still be $150 or less.

3. Can I customize my Show Under $150?

Yes, you can customize your Show Under $150 to fit your needs. Our consultants can help you choose the products that best suit your cooking style and budget.

4. Are there any limitations on the products I can choose for a Show Under $150?

There are no limitations on the products you can choose for a Show Under $150. You can select any products from our catalog, as long as the total amount is $150 or less.

5. Can I add additional products to a Show Under $150?

Yes, you can add additional products to a Show Under $150. However, the total amount must still be $150 or less after the additional products are included.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • j&k'smom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
j&k'smom
Replies