• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Attendance: Effective Host Coaching Tips

In summary, hosts need to invite as many people as possible to their shows in order to make the most money. However, only about 1/3 of the people who are invited will actually show up.
reba515
I tell my hosts OVER-INVITE ! invite everyone, out of towners, neighbors, people you haven't seen in a long time etc etc. I explain the importance of attendance, make my 3+ host coaching calls..........

then I see the invite list with only 10-15 people (sometimes less) then they wonder why only 3 or 4 people show up!! this drives me crazy!

So my question is- do any of you have any words for your hosts that actually work???
does anyone else have this issue with 75% of your hosts???

I challenge my host to get as many names as they can - and offer $10 extra free product value at their show if they give me a COMPLETE list of 40 people.I also put this flyer in my host packets - and go over it with them during the first host coaching call:Oh - and I like to use the line - "no one is offended by being invited to the party, but may be offended if they aren't!"

Attachments

• 50 GUESTS IN 5 MINUTES.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 300
Only 1/3 of the people you invite will be able to come. Of that 1/3, only 1/2 will actually come - people are busy and things come up. Use this example with 40 people and they will get the picture. Also, ask them questions like, who do you know from __________ and who'se parents do you know (kids' friends). Some still won't listen.

I tell them about the 1/3 thing too...so many people have the mindset that every person you invite will come. No joke here...I have a host who's having a show next Friday. She said that she had about 25 invitations going out, and didn't know where she was going to put all those people in her house. I told her about the 1/3 deal, and she had no idea, because this is the lady who has been to just about every one of my shows that decided that she needed to have her own! (Another thread) Well, she called me last night to tell me that she now had invited about 50 people. So, the message get through to her. I hope she has a HUGE turnout...we'll see!

I tell them that only about 1/4 will show. Something new I'm trying (an idea posted from a Tom Marston thread, I think) is writing on my guest list sheet that if they can't think of at least 30 people they need to ask someone to co-host with them. Don't have a clue how this will work out over time. . . If they come up with complete information for 45 people (addresses & phone numbers), I provide the ingredients for the recipe.

Things seem to have gotten better with my hosts since I started including A Tale of Two Hostesses with my host kits. I got it from someone here, so you should be able to find it if you do a search. It's a cute little story that gets the point across that inviting people is the host's main job.

I have the same problem and I ALWAYS stress to them to overinvite, ask everyone to bring a friend, offer incentives for a certain number of E-Invitations sent, etc. It doesn't seem to have an effect. They are either gung-ho or NOT. But I might check out that Tale of Two Hostesses! It can't hurt!

I soooo feel your pain. I nudge and nudge and nudge til they give me a large guest list. I feel like a nag (I guess my DH and kids are right - LOL) but it's just not worth it to me to haul my butt out for an evening when there will only be 3 guests.

reba515 said:
I tell my hosts OVER-INVITE ! invite everyone, out of towners, neighbors, people you haven't seen in a long time etc etc. I explain the importance of attendance, make my 3+ host coaching calls..........

then I see the invite list with only 10-15 people (sometimes less) then they wonder why only 3 or 4 people show up!! this drives me crazy!

So my question is- do any of you have any words for your hosts that actually work???
does anyone else have this issue with 75% of your hosts???

I think this is one of the great mysteries of the world! My worst shows? Hostesses that invite 5-10 people only, my best shows? Those that invite 40 plus! I wish I had the answer because it drives me crazy too when I see they didn't use their invitations, they didn't use their guest list, etc and then they wonder why 1 person showed up and they are stuggling to make $150 in sales! I just don't get it! If you don't want to talk to people, there are emails, postcards, all sorts of ways to invite people and yet they don't do it!
The worst are the ones that give me back everything in the hostess packet and say " they know paperwork is expensive and wanted to save me money". What????This is my business, I'd give you 100 invites and catalogs if it meant more guests!
Sorry just had to vent!

Rebeccascabinet said:
The worst are the ones that give me back everything in the hostess packet and say " they know paperwork is expensive and wanted to save me money". What????This is my business, I'd give you 100 invites and catalogs if it meant more guests!
Sorry just had to vent!

Oh no!!!! How awful!
I would want to bop them on the head with the pack of invitations!!! LOL

Wow. I guess I must be the world's worst host and consultant....or am I? When I hosted my first show I only had about 10-12 people invited physically to my show. It's because when I say I don't know many people, I DON"T KNOW MANY PEOPLE. And of course, not all those people showed up, nor ordered. I had one "acquaintance" show up with her boyfriend AND HIS FRIEND and ate, and ate and then left without a single purchase. However, my show sales were at $800. I had a show that the host had over 20 people at her show and barely made $500 in sales.

My point is that if someone told me that it wasn't worth it to them to do a show for me without having a list of 20-40 invites, then I guess they wouldn't be doing a show for me. And I would have never became a consultant. It is not the quantity of people, it's the quality.

Rebeccascabinet said:
I think this is one of the great mysteries of the world! My worst shows? Hostesses that invite 5-10 people only, my best shows? Those that invite 40 plus! I wish I had the answer because it drives me crazy too when I see they didn't use their invitations, they didn't use their guest list, etc and then they wonder why 1 person showed up and they are stuggling to make $150 in sales! I just don't get it! If you don't want to talk to people, there are emails, postcards, all sorts of ways to invite people and yet they don't do it!
Sorry just had to vent!

YES! I thats what drives me the most crazy is that they "wonder why" they had so few guests then they turn around and hand me 25 unused invitations well "hello!!??"

thanks to you all who posted what works for you!

I emphasize to some hosts that it is the number of orders - not the number of people that is important. Perhaps an out-of-towner or co-worker who lives on the other side of town will make an order but not come. Outside orders make a HUGE difference in show sales so I am going to try to challenge hosts to have some when I arrive. Anyone done a reward for that?

I guess what I always wonder when they don't invite many is why are they having a show? I actually had a lady only invite 10 people last week even though I had talked to her until I was blue in the face. She said she doesn't like too many people at a party. What?

yummy4tummy said:
Wow. I guess I must be the world's worst host and consultant....or am I? When I hosted my first show I only had about 10-12 people invited physically to my show. It's because when I say I don't know many people, I DON"T KNOW MANY PEOPLE. And of course, not all those people showed up, nor ordered. I had one "acquaintance" show up with her boyfriend AND HIS FRIEND and ate, and ate and then left without a single purchase. However, my show sales were at $800. I had a show that the host had over 20 people at her show and barely made $500 in sales.

My point is that if someone told me that it wasn't worth it to them to do a show for me without having a list of 20-40 invites, then I guess they wouldn't be doing a show for me. And I would have never became a consultant. It is not the quantity of people, it's the quality.

I agree with Valerie mostly.....in Jan, I had a host who invited 16 people...she had 18 at her show - 3 of the 15 originally invited guests brought friends! It was an $850 show, with 3 bookings! Sometimes you just have to trust that your host knows her friends better than you do. I also have one repeat host who always invites 40, but never has more than 7-8 at her show....because she has home shows on a regular basis, and the same 40 get invited to all of them. (I know, because I get invited to them too!) When I hosted my one and only show before becoming a consultant, I invited 20 people - everyone I could think of! The day before the show I had 7 people coming, but by showtime, there were 12 coming....and I was in a panic! I didn't know what I was going to do with 12 people! So maybe some of the host coaching needs to be alleviating fears of having too many - "It's okay if we can't all fit in the kitchen, I can do a show anywhere!" "People don't mind sitting on the floor, and when we do the demo, everyone can just gather around and watch". "The more people there are, the less pressure there will be on people to spend alot of money."....etc....

ChefBeckyD said:
So maybe some of the host coaching needs to be alleviating fears of having too many - "It's okay if we can't all fit in the kitchen, I can do a show anywhere!" "People don't mind sitting on the floor, and when we do the demo, everyone can just gather around and watch". "The more people there are, the less pressure there will be on people to spend alot of money."....etc....
I think this is true, especially if the host has hosted for companies that have a problem with too many attendeed: Mary Kay, Creative Memories, etc., where it's really hard on the consultant when there are more then 5 or 6 people there.

chefann said:
I think this is true, especially if the host has hosted for companies that have a problem with too many attendeed: Mary Kay, Creative Memories, etc., where it's really hard on the consultant when there are more then 5 or 6 people there.

That is true! I did a BeautiControl party for a friend, and she specifically asked to not have more than 5-6 people there! She only gave me 15 invitations to send out!

I never thought of that...maybe there is a fear that too many people will come. I never did understand MK type sales where they only want no more that 6 people there. I say the more the merrier!

Yeah, you wouldn't say that if you had to walk 20-25 women through putting on new makeup! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Why Don't They Listen?

There are a few possible reasons why someone may not be listening to you.

1. How can I get someone to listen to me?

One way to get someone to listen is to make sure you have their attention before speaking. This can be done by making eye contact, using their name, or asking for their input. It's also important to speak clearly and concisely.

2. Why do some people seem to tune me out?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It's possible that the person is distracted or preoccupied with something else. They may also feel like they've heard the information before or that it doesn't apply to them. It's important to try and understand their perspective and address any potential barriers to listening.

3. What if I feel like I'm not being heard?

If you feel like you're not being heard, try using active listening techniques such as summarizing what the other person has said or asking for clarification. You can also try changing your communication style to be more direct or using visual aids to help get your point across.

4. How can I communicate more effectively?

Effective communication involves not only speaking but also listening. Make sure to actively listen to the other person and ask for their input. Be clear and specific in your communication, and try to understand the other person's perspective. Using nonverbal cues, such as body language and tone of voice, can also enhance your communication.

5. What if someone still doesn't listen after trying these strategies?

If someone continues to not listen after trying different strategies, it may be helpful to have an open and honest conversation about communication. Ask for their feedback on how you can improve your communication and listen to their concerns. It's important to approach the situation with empathy and a willingness to compromise.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
letmepamperu13
  • chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
thecougchef
  • Hathery