• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mary Kay Presentation at My Show Yesterday

In summary, the Mary Kay representative at the party was inappropriate and did not bother to listen to the presentation that the host was giving.
Suzyengl
I try not to vent, but yesterday's host had a Mary Kay lady there to do a presentation-after my presentation-and the host never told me about it. Fortunately I was taking orders from the guests when the Mary Kay lady started her presentation. I did not get orders from all of the guests-some were listening to the MK presentation, as well as the host, when I left. The MK lady just started doing her thing, and the host sat down to listen to her, along with a few friends.

I will not say anything to the host about this, since she invited me into her home. However, in the future, is there a way to make sure this does not happen? I don't want to ask each host if I will be the only consultant at her party.

Thanks!
Suzy in Texas

Hi, Suzy!My wife is a Mary Kay consultant. This other consultant needs a phone call. She was improper, and Mary Kay Ashe would be mortified! I would also play dumb to the host when you call to close her show - and pin her down on the other guests who were present, for their orders or phone numbers to follow up yourself (and don't bring up the Mary Kay person when you collect their orders). Unless 3 things happen prior, I never allow another vendor "at" my host or guests. The three things?
1 - host tells me she is having another vendor ahead of time.
2 - I speak with the vendor, and
3 - the vendor either books a show themselves or brings me a booking - which I add as a "host booking" to the original show. Otherwise - it is reducing my business, not adding to it. The host understands when you explain #3.Be sure you have followed through on host coaching - hosts who understand will fiercely protect their 'free product value' and have a bigger show. Peace.

Ya..... I had this happen just this past week. As I was setting up, my host told me she also had a 31 lady coming. Asked me if I was OK with that! I told her I typically DO NOT do this and explained that it is a NO WIN for everyone. At this point what was I going to do but do the best presentation I could and hope it worked out. I made sure I was NOT rude, (THOUGH I WAS FUMING INSIDE) and did talk about direct sales in general being a great way to earn additional money. As it turned out though not everyone ordered I did get sales and no one ordered from the 31 lady. I do feel badly for her, and as I said it is a NO WIN situation for all. After nearly 1300 shows... I have learned that being "nice" and accepting the situation is better than making a scene and letting your true feelings come across.

Thanks, Scott. I love Mary Kay-don't get me wrong-it is a wonderful product. When I was growing up we lived within a mile or two of her house (never saw her, but saw her pink cadilac). Thanks for your words of advice. I do have phone numbers from almost everyone who attended the party and plan on calling them tonight. I had a party last week where there was a 31 rep, but I DID know about this ahead of time. This host's sales will probably be low, but it's what she wanted to do.

Thanks for letting me vent-
Suzy in Texas

I just did a party where a Premier jewelery rep was present. I asked to do my demo first. I knew she would be there ahead of time. I am not sure how her sales were, but I closed that party arpund $750 so it went pretty well. THe hostess wanted pampered chef so she made sure she got outside orders too, so that helped. I will say that I am not too keen on doing the combined shows though. I also did a show last week with a Mary Kay rep. We had planned this some time ago and it was just suppossed to be me and her at her house. I thought it was going to be an actual party until a week before the party and found out she was doing it as an open house(UGH). SHe had a huge table with all her stuff set up. She also invited 2 other sellers to come. One sold candles(homemade) and the other had Christmas crafts and jelllies and stuff. I was disappointed to say the least. For one, everyone pretty much came and bought Mary Kay and tons of it. In the end, I closed a $230 party which was better than nothing, but there was probably at least 15 guests that came and went and only 2 people ordered that were not sellers. The other 2 orders were the other companies that were there and then the host. SO I had 5 orders altogether. I also felt obligated to buy from them since they bought from me, so I ended up spending more than I made when I left. NOt sure if I will do that again. I have grown to hate the open house thing with other sellers. I was there for 5 hours and no bookings either. :(

Once another direct seller is presenting at the show, it is now a "Vendor Event", not a Pampered Chef Cooking Show. I only do "Vendor Events" with people I know who invite TONS of people (i.e., over 100!) and there are several vendors in attendance all inviting their preferred customers. I then use these as business-building events (book shows, get potential recruits/interest) rather than money-making events (sales are usually lower, but that's ok b/c I know going in). If I had shown up to a show I expected to be a money-making show ($750 is my average) and there was another vendor there, I'd be pissed, since my average at a "vendor event" is closer to $300. But, I would make lemonade out of the lemons and at least try to book some shows, etc. The way the host went about this was really sneaky and offensive. I can honestly say I've never had that happen to me, and I've even turned people down when they invite me to another vendor's show and say "You can set up, too" - and tell them that I'm attending their 31 Gifts / Mary Kay / CAbi party only, I'm not trying to steal those vendor's customers. Then they get it.

sassypip said:
I just did a party where a Premier jewelery rep was present. I asked to do my demo first. I knew she would be there ahead of time. I am not sure how her sales were, but I closed that party arpund $750 so it went pretty well. THe hostess wanted pampered chef so she made sure she got outside orders too, so that helped. I will say that I am not too keen on doing the combined shows though. I also did a show last week with a Mary Kay rep. We had planned this some time ago and it was just suppossed to be me and her at her house. I thought it was going to be an actual party until a week before the party and found out she was doing it as an open house(UGH). SHe had a huge table with all her stuff set up. She also invited 2 other sellers to come. One sold candles(homemade) and the other had Christmas crafts and jelllies and stuff. I was disappointed to say the least. For one, everyone pretty much came and bought Mary Kay and tons of it. In the end, I closed a $230 party which was better than nothing, but there was probably at least 15 guests that came and went and only 2 people ordered that were not sellers. The other 2 orders were the other companies that were there and then the host. SO I had 5 orders altogether. I also felt obligated to buy from them since they bought from me, so I ended up spending more than I made when I left. NOt sure if I will do that again. I have grown to hate the open house thing with other sellers. I was there for 5 hours and no bookings either. :(

Never feel obligated to buy from other people!! You are there to do business not support theirs (unless you wanted to buy something). Don't feel bad about it at all.

I think the bad thing here was it was touted as a PC party that turned into more. Bad for the guests and bad for both consultants involved. If I had taken the time to host coach, send out invites, and more and found out someone else was going to be there reaping my rewards, I'm not sure how I would handle it. Luckily in 5 years this has never come up!

But how do you ask if there is going to be another consultant from another direct selling company there? Just come right out and ask?

Suzy in Texas

Never feel obligated to buy from someone else! I've done a lot of vendor events. Only twice have I ever bought anything. That's because I wanted those things. They can order from me all they want. I'm there to make money, not spend it. I don't take a checkbook or extra cash. If it's set-up somewhere like a fire hall, I even bring my own lunch and don't buy the food they're selling. I'm cheap ;)

Suzy, the only way I can think that you can discover another vendor will be there is during host coaching. I always talk to the host about the area I'll need for the demo and what I'll need to use in the kitchen. Knock on wood, I've never had a surprise vendor be there. I would think that in talking about set-up, the host would mention the other vendor's needs or the timeframe of the demos. If I was surprised with someone being there, I would go first and do my usual thing and not care at all that I'm taking all the time in the world. Then I would process orders and try to get my butt out of there without wasting any more time. If that means connecting with customers while the other person does their thing, so be it.

I would not confront the MK rep. You do not know what the host told her. She could have told the MK rep that you were fine with the situation. You have the relationship with the host not the MK rep. I would not play Dumb when closing this host's show. But first, did you mail out the invitations for the show? If so, I would ask the host to reimburse you for the postage, since another rep also made money from the party. When closing her party, I would also let her know that it would have been more respectful if she had let you know that MK rep was going to be there. It does not need to be confrontational, but if you don't tell her she will never know it was improper.

Suzyengl said:
But how do you ask if there is going to be another consultant from another direct selling company there? Just come right out and ask?

Suzy in Texas

If you are concerned, the best thing to do is be straight up about it and ask the question. I have actually never had a host have another direct sales business there without me know it. Perhaps it is a one time thing with this host or perhaps there is something you can do differently in your host coaching. I am in touch with my host often between the time she books the party to the time it is held; phone, email and mail. There can be no doubt with my hosts that it is "Pampered Chef" party.

There is no way to ask unless you come right out and ask but like I said above, I've never ran across it in 5 years in business so I personally don't ask.

Suzyengl, I would include a brief line in my host coaching. But - if you are doing 3 host coaching calls and it never comes up, then the guest just "behaves badly" at the show - then you can call the vendor (yes, directly - professionally) after the fact and share your surprise and without namecalling, just express your concern. Ask her to please book a show so your business can continue - and I would definitely put a little more energy into showing her the PC business opportunity.

Thank you all for your replies. This host was hard to get in touch with-lots of texting and Facebook messages. I have texted her that we will be closing out her show on Weds. by 9pm. If I don't hear from her I will pick out her free items for her. That seemed to get her attention, as she really wants the Manual Food Processor at 60% off. As we close out her show I will talk to her about the MK lady being there. Will let you'all know what transpires.
The show is only $291 in sales so at this point I just want to submit it.
Thanks,
Suzy in Texas

I had a show a couple of weeks ago where the host told me that there was going to be a MK show AFTER my show. The MK rep was new and this was her first show. She didn't show up until I was done and taking orders. It turned out to be a win-win - my show was over $700 (plus one booking and one possible bridal registry and/or shower) and the MK gal apparently did well also. The host told me about it when she scheduled the party and the start times were three hours apart so I said fine. I don't think I would want to have someone at the same time as me, though - it needs to be completely separate.

Here's my take on the hosts that surprise you with another vendor at her show. I never had this problem until this year. This has happened 3 times this year, I've always done well with sales over $700. I don't think it's the host's plan to do this, what I think happens is that she may have a friend, neighbor, relative that sells or she's at another party and when she tells the rep that she can't have a party because she has a Pampered chef party scheduled the rep from the other company plays it up big that she could combine the party. Why? because the rep is desperate for a show and she knows that people will attend a Pampered Chef party because of the food demonstration and the fact that our prices fit everyone's budget. (don't get me started on the prices of these jewelry parties. If they can spend $100 for a necklace and earrings they can spend $85 on the DCB!)

Personally, in 2012 I will add the question if this is going to be an exclusive Pampered Chef party or a vendor event to my host coaching. I'm tired of other direct sales companies "crashing" my party! I've even heard of other direct sales companies teaching their consultants to encourage "crashing" other direct sales parties especially Pampered Chef parties.

I've been with Pampered Chef for over 20 years and I'm so glad that I have never had to "crash" another person's party!

Karen

cookingwithlove said:
I would not confront the MK rep. You do not know what the host told her. She could have told the MK rep that you were fine with the situation. You have the relationship with the host not the MK rep. I would not play Dumb when closing this host's show. But first, did you mail out the invitations for the show? If so, I would ask the host to reimburse you for the postage, since another rep also made money from the party. When closing her party, I would also let her know that it would have been more respectful if she had let you know that MK rep was going to be there. It does not need to be confrontational, but if you don't tell her she will never know it was improper.

This is great advice. Especially if you don't know whether the host thought it was a great idea, or the other rep talked the host into it. So true, if nothing is said about it, how will the host ever know? I would also point out their PC benefits were probably not as good if folks spent money with the other company. Someone not in direct sales would probably never think of that.

Karen Weber said:
...I'm tired of other direct sales companies "crashing" my party! I've even heard of other direct sales companies teaching their consultants to encourage "crashing" other direct sales parties especially Pampered Chef parties.

Karen

Wow, that's low. Do you know which ones do this?

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this board. While this has never happened to me, I've got a good idea how to handle it if it does.

Karen Weber said:
Here's my take on the hosts that surprise you with another vendor at her show. I never had this problem until this year. This has happened 3 times this year, I've always done well with sales over $700. I don't think it's the host's plan to do this, what I think happens is that she may have a friend, neighbor, relative that sells or she's at another party and when she tells the rep that she can't have a party because she has a Pampered chef party scheduled the rep from the other company plays it up big that she could combine the party. Why? because the rep is desperate for a show and she knows that people will attend a Pampered Chef party because of the food demonstration and the fact that our prices fit everyone's budget. (don't get me started on the prices of these jewelry parties. If they can spend $100 for a necklace and earrings they can spend $85 on the DCB!)

Personally, in 2012 I will add the question if this is going to be an exclusive Pampered Chef party or a vendor event to my host coaching. I'm tired of other direct sales companies "crashing" my party! I've even heard of other direct sales companies teaching their consultants to encourage "crashing" other direct sales parties especially Pampered Chef parties.

I've been with Pampered Chef for over 20 years and I'm so glad that I have never had to "crash" another person's party!

Karen

Karen - this is exactly what I've said before too. In fact, when a host asks me this question now, I explain to them that I don't do combined shows, and EVERY time, the host has actually been relieved. I've heard a variation of this every time: "Okay, that's what I figured, but my friend (sister, neighbor, etc...) asked so I thought I'd check. I'll let her know that you don't do that." I think that the host is feeling pressured by the other consultant to do it, and is grateful that I'm letting them off the hook. Then, they don't have to be the bad guy who says NO! :)

Wow. I've never actually had another vendor crash one of my shows, and hopefully this won't happen. The only combined show that I've done was with one of my hosts who happens to be an Avon Rep. She wanted to do a more open house-style party, and because she was the rep, I agreed. I did my thing, and she had her Avon products and catalogs displayed as well. Because it was just the host and myself as vendors, we both came away with business from that party.It is great to have advice on how to deal with this issue, should it arise. Thanks.

It's one thing to do a multi-vendor party or to know that there will be two parties. It's another for it to be sprung on you. I have gone to parties as a guest and may mention that I sell Pampered Chef, but that is where I leave it.

I have done two combined parties. The first was a huge success for me. My girlfriend had each of us set up in different rooms. My sales were over $600, which at the time was one of my largest parties. This was presented as an open house and a Christmas shopping event. The second, I think both of us suffered as it was one party followed by another. The two parties each had sales of $300.

What is Mary Kay and what is their presentation about?

Mary Kay is a popular brand of beauty and skin care products. Their presentation at your show yesterday was most likely about their products and how they can benefit your skin and beauty routine.

Do I have to buy Mary Kay products at the show?

No, you are not obligated to purchase any Mary Kay products at the show. However, if you are interested in any of their products, you can place an order with the Mary Kay consultant at the show.

Can I host a separate Mary Kay party with the consultant from the show?

Yes, if you enjoyed the Mary Kay presentation at your show yesterday, you can host a separate party with the consultant. This will give you and your guests the opportunity to try out and purchase their products.

What are the benefits of hosting a Mary Kay party?

Hosting a Mary Kay party can earn you free products and discounts based on the sales made at your party. It is also a fun and social way to try out new beauty products with your friends and family.

Are there any special offers or promotions for hosting a Mary Kay party?

Yes, there are often special offers and promotions for hosting a Mary Kay party. These can include discounted or free products, exclusive bundles, and other rewards. Your Mary Kay consultant can provide more information about current offers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JDooley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • COOKINWITHSHERRI
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
clshirk
  • Cindycooks