• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

soI Am Going to a Mary Kay Party Tonight...

In summary, Cindy went to a Mary Kay party and found it to be a normal person trying to make some extra money. She liked the products and found the consultant to be polite and not pushy.
Cindycooks
Silver Member
I dont even like Mary Kay - but selfishly, it is a friend from church that invited me and they have had a PC party for me - so I feel like I should. Also a girl there wants me to bring her a current catalog - she wants a bunch of simple additions and I am trying to talk her into a party. And I will bring a new catalog so she can see the new SA. I WILL NOT bring out the catalogs at the party....they will be in my car....unless they ask!
So pray for me. This one is on skin care and I hate it hate it when they clean my face and then go over all the make up and I always come home looking like clown with the colors they choose for me. I sure hope people don't dread coming to my PC parties like I am dreading this one! I do like MK mascara and will buy a tube.
But hey - maybe a booking out of it......;)

I am a big MK fan and have used it for years...but I do understand about the "obligation" party. I am attending a friend's At Home America party this week because she is having a PC show for me next month. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?!

You know, since MK and PC don't really compete, I would maybe be a little more bold if I were you and bring in a tote bag with a couple of catalogs and maybe you could just "happen" to have your calendar with you. Arrive a little early and, before the official MK presentation, tell "Susie" you have her catalog for her and make a big show about handing it to her. Then of course you could just "happen" have extra catalogs for all of the now-interested people - and you will promise to give them to them after the MK show. :)

Good luck!

I went to a MK party and I took my catalog tote bag with me just so they could see I was a PC consultant. I got a couple new customers. You might get some leads doing that too... Have fun!

You dont have to twist my arm very far to get my to take in my tote bag - DONE!
Hope I didnt come across too harsh badmouthing MK! Their makeup just doesnt work for me. I use mineral makeup - but I do like MK cleansers and mascara. I think what turns me off is the pushy MK ladies! Everyone I have been too hounded me to death for months after the show to buy something or to become a consultant. That is such a big turn-off but you know it has helped me in my business with "how NOT to act"! Thats my fear after tonight!

Cindy-
Well I'm glad I didn't have to twist your arm on that. LOL :D Just kidding. Anyway, I know how you feel about the MK stuff. I'm not much of a fan of it. I like their cleanser and moisturizer, their mascara is good too. I have a tube. But other than that I buy from Avon when I can. I'm having a hard time finding a foundation that I like...What is the brand of your mineral makeup? I may have to check into that. I hate feeling like I have stuff caked on my face. LOL Anyway let us know how it goes...Have fun and enjoy yourself.

I'm not a MK fan either. But, all of the aboves are right! You just might get a new customer or two. I guess enduring a facial nightmare won't be that bad then would it? :p I say that, but I would have just as much worries going if it were me! Good luck and my prayers are with you! :) Let us know how it turns out!

I could not fathom having to have perfect skin and makeup at each party! People just looking at your skin and wondering if the products work or not based on you??? I don't think I would make it as a MK consultant...PMS does wonders to my skin! :p

Well I am back. I do have to say first of all that this MK Consultant was a good one - she was maybe late 20's and just a NORMAL person. She has a baby and is just trying to make some extra money. Not flashy or pushy. We did the Satin Hands first - (which I bought) - feels awesome, then just cleaned our faces and put on makeup. Hated that part - I always do. They always choose the wrong colors for me. Anyway, I bought my satin hands and left. Now the good part....get ready!

One of the girls there goes to my church and had already ask me about buying some SA because she is tired of serving in her ugly Pyrex. So when I walked in she said - I hope you brought me that catalog! And of course I had them right there in my bag! Then they were all laughing about the food and I looked and the host had made Tomato Basil Squares - but on a metal cookie sheet and the crust was all soggy and another girl said she needs a stone and the host said YEP - so she and the girl that wants SA are gonna co-host a party in Sept or October. LOLOL. It was just toooo funny.
I told the MK girl I hoped I didnt steel her thunder and she said "hey it happens, dont worry about it and I will be at the PC party when they have it"...then she ask for a catalog!

All I can say is I am sooooo glad I do not do MK. She was wearing a dressy black skinny dress, hose and black high heels. I would die. 3 people were at the party. I spent $30. The other girl spent $14. The last girl said her hubby wouldnt let her buy anything - they are newleyweds and no money right now.

This whole experience made PC look so good.

Now Kat and everyone, about my mineral makeup. My friend turned me onto it. Mineral makeup is all natural of course and it sits on your face and doesnt clog up your pores. it is highly pigmented and you brush it on with something called a "Kabuki" brush. It brushes right on and covers blemishes and red spots and your face looks so smooth yet not all cakey. Honest - I have people all the time now asking me what I have done differently to my face. You can buy it on QVC - it is called Bare Minerals if you wanna look on the website - but it is rather expensive that way. My friends uses Everyday Minerals and I will post the link. You order it online. I started with the Everyday Kit $36. The best part is they add in free samples so pick a couple colors for your foundation and then different ones for your samples. Also the Kabuki Brush was free (they are $12 in stores). you get concealor (for around the eyes and over pimples)...foundation which you brush on, blush and finishing dust (like face powder). They are all loose in jars with little sifter tops. You sorta shake them and get some in the cap and dab in the brush and brush them on your face. I could go on and on but here is the link and there is a tutorial thingy on the website. I will never go back to liquid makeup again. My face no longer breaks out! Any questions - just ask me. Oh and dont buy the mineral makeup at Walmart (Neutrogena and Loreal I think - it's crap and very cakey).

http://www.everydayminerals.com/

Last edited:
That is awesome Cindy!! Yeah I like that satin hands too. Don't have it yet. Need to get it, but PC comes first. Got to order my products first. LOL. Anyway, thank you for the link I'll check in to it. I've seen the commerical for Bare Minerals - I just have a hard time picking my foundation cause I'm like in between you know. But since they have the free samples at the everyday mineral site I may do that one. Thanks...

Cindy - congrats on the shows.

Now Kat and everyone, about my mineral makeup. My friend turned me onto it. Mineral makeup is all natural of course and it sits on your face and doesnt clog up your pores. it is highly pigmented and you brush it on with something called a "Kabuki" brush. It brushes right on and covers blemishes and red spots and your face looks so smooth yet not all cakey. Honest - I have people all the time now asking me what I have done differently to my face. You can buy it on QVC - it is called Bare Minerals if you wanna look on the website - but it is rather expensive that way. My friends uses Everyday Minerals and I will post the link. You order it online. I started with the Everyday Kit $36. The best part is they add in free samples so pick a couple colors for your foundation and then different ones for your samples. Also the Kabuki Brush was free (they are $12 in stores). you get concealor (for around the eyes and over pimples)...foundation which you brush on, blush and finishing dust (like face powder). They are all loose in jars with little sifter tops. You sorta shake them and get some in the cap and dab in the brush and brush them on your face. I could go on and on but here is the link and there is a tutorial thingy on the website. I will never go back to liquid makeup again. My face no longer breaks out! Any questions - just ask me. Oh and dont buy the mineral makeup at Walmart (Neutrogena and Loreal I think - it's crap and very cakey).

If anyone is interested in mineral makeup, i also rep for Lady Emily Natural Cosmetics and we sell mineral makeup as well as skincare, etc. I would be happy to help anyone learn more about mineral makeup and send you samples. My website is www.ladyemily.com/swhitton.html or you can email me if you are interested.

Sharon

Hey everyone.....

I am mostly a lurker, but I just wanted to say that I too switched from MK to Bare Minerals and it is GREAT. Sephora sells it, so you don't have to order it from an infomercial and can go in and have them try it on you (like you would with Este Lauder, Clinique etc). A lot of day spas sell it also (they will also do the make overs so you can try it on). I still use MK lip gloss and eyeliner but that is it....I converted my sister-in-law who never wore make-up because she hated the feel of it being caked on, well she needed something for her wedding, so we went to Sephora and she loves it and wears it all the time now because it feels like nothing on your face.

Amber

Cindy congrats on your sales!! Thats awesome. At least you had a nice MK lady. One time I went and bought so much stuff and of course never returned it. It made me itchy. Especially the eye shadow.

I wear Bare Escentuals and I love it. I have to say if they had consultants for that, Id be one! lol

I love the Bare Escentuals line too -- I can even wear it to my Jazzercise class and it doesn't get all cakey, it's so light and covers so well.

I am a former MK consultant and did not have a good experience at all -- all the horror stories told in another thread apply to me. Then, when I decided to just shut it down and send back my inventory (you can do that, but you can never, ever be a MK consultant again, darn...), my recruiter/director called me and whined, not about how she's sorry it didn't work for me and could she support me more, but how it was going to mess up her numbers for the month and she is trying to get a car!!!

PC is just much better, and I can wear any make up I want, or none at all if I choose. And I don't own panty hose, so forget that. hehehehe

Anyhow, that's cool that you got some business and you got your satin hands!!! That is a fun product.

I haven't tried it, but my director and her director love it, and i have to say they both always look lovely.

i wear MAC foundation as of 2 weeks ago. I have worn Arbonne powder (no foundation) for a while now. there are no mineral spirits in Arbonnes make-up. The mineral spirits in most make-ups act as a plastic bag over your skin. Arbonnes makeup lets you breathe. i tried MaryKay foundation years ago and i felt trapped under it. I would wear it to ballet performances and i would sweat under it. It was gross. I was so turned off of foundation because i thought it was all like that. But i now have MACs tint which is a light foundation. I love it. i top it off with the arbonne powder still.

in the case of handing out catalogues at toher shows here is my advice. Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Would you want to be doing a party and have a MK consultant come in and start talking about her business? Probably not. Would you mind if she had come and asked you first? Probably not! I would not care if they handed out catalogues if they had asked me first but i would be offended it i had not been asked.

I few years ago i went to a holiday open house that was a combo MK and PC. It was great. The MK stuff was set out on a table and the PC stuff was in the kitchen. There was food but no demo. Both consultants were good friends and they were there to answer any questions. I am going to do this with an Arbonne friend this Christmas.

I wear powder from Arbonne also and love it. I switched from MK powder to it.

I also don't like bringing catalogues to others shows personally. I did a show last week which went really well and I got several bookings from it. But after the demo when everyone started looking through their catalogues to order my host started passing out catalogues from the home business she does. And then 2 other ladies started passing out catalogues from their businesses as well. So everyone started talking about that instead of looking through their catalogue. I kind of felt like the MK rep you mentioned. I was nice about it and all but inside thinking that I wish they would have waited till after everyone ordered or was leaving. So the show is only at $200 right now. My host was kind of dissappointed it wasn't more. I was thinking well, duh maybe its because the guests had 3 different catalogues in front of them. If I need to bring a catalogue to a someone else's show I'll either leave it in my car and give to them afterwards or bring it in and very discretely give it to them. Although I do belive PC is one of the best sells company to work for I still want to show courtesy to other companies' consultants at their shows.

I'd vote for keeping the catlogs in the car. I did a show for a friend who is starting her tastefully simple business and of course everyone who came knows I sell PC. I made sure I left catalogs in my office and when anyone asked I just said I'd get them one before they left. That way we stayed on track with the consultants show. I have to say hosting a tastefully simple party is a lot more work than PC. I got out of doing the demo but I still had to make all the food :)! Next time, maybe Mary Kay...haha!

I'm glad to hear the testimonials on the Bare Minerals type of products. I've been thinking about trying them out but it's always nice to know from someone who uses them!

Michele

I agree that I would never had out a catalog uless I was asked first at another consultants show. But as said before MK and PC are not competitors so the PC rep. is not taking away any business from the MK rep.

Lisa as you were saying about returning your MK stuff and your director being mad. I have a friend that is a MK director and she told me just yesterday that she has a friend that was selling MK and doing great but her husband asked her to stop selling MK because she was a changed person and he felt that MK was a "cult" and it was taking over her life. So she called my friend and said that she was returning her products and stop selling MK because she wanted to work things out with her husband.

My friend instead of understanding and being concerned said she was making a big mistake and is upset because she is now not going to get her Catilac as soon as she hoped. My friend said that she tried calling this girl and she will not return her calls and my friend does not understand why she is so upset with her. I do think MK can take over your life. I hope they are able to working things out since there were friends before MK.

Just to clarify! I was too excited I guess last night after the MK party to really explain...I did not take my catalogs in. I decided when I got there to leave them in my car and only handed them out AFTER they ask. I went back out to the car and got them. I tried to be respectful to the MK Rep....we only talked PC after her demo. They brought it up - not me! The funny part was the MK Rep asking for a catalog!

Oh and as for this
there are no mineral spirits in Arbonnes make-up
Mineral makeup is totally different from makeup with mineral spirits. I've had that question come up before. It's not the same thing. Your face totally breathes with mineral makeup and I love the way it is a powder that just sits there and no more liquid foundation to have to put on! This just goes right over my moisturizer and it is wonderful!

Last edited:
Cindycooks said:
Oh and as for this Mineral makeup is totally different from makeup with mineral spirits. I've had that question come up before. It's not the same thing. Your face totally breathes with mineral makeup and I love the way it is a powder that just sits there and no more liquid foundation to have to put on! This just goes right over my moisturizer and it is wonderful!

Based upon your testiments, I logged onto the website that you recommended (can't recall the name right now!!lol) and ordered their free sample kit. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I've used Clinique for years, and have been realizing that the clinique line both face and make up may not be for me anymore. I hate wearing heavy make up, and prefer the more natural look - but I do need something to cover up those PMS blemishes! And if I don't wear mascara, you can't see my eyes! Thanks for your testimonial! I can't wait to give it a try! :D

Ok, that would be Everyday Minerals...lol. I ordered the FREE trial makeup and got the mini kabuki (sp?) brush. I figure for $8 that includes shipping, I can't go too wrong! Cheap makeup at walmart is more expensive than that! lol

Last edited:
LOVE Bare MineralsI have NEVER been interested in make up.....ever! I want quick and simple to get out the door in the morning. I have always had really dark circles under my eyes and nothing covered them all day. I ordered the kit and will never go back to anything else. Tap...swirl...buff :)

Last year at conference there was a wall that separated the sink area from the beds....one of my roommates asked what in the world was I doing, she said it sounded like a woodpecker with all the tapping!!

Our cluster has gotten to where we seem to add another "believer" at each conference. We are down to one last director (chefgirl2...are you listening?) that hasn't crossed over to our side yet!!

i think the mineral spirits are more like an oil. I think bare minerals and arbonne are similar. arbonne has no animal by-products in it either. i have heard nasty stories on the stuff they put in make-up. i was told that we eat 3 lbs of lipstick each year. (i think that seems like a little much because i weighed a tube of lipstick and it is like 2-3 oz. with the tube).

i think arbonne also has the minerals like your company. i might order the free sample pack to try it. it does seem reasonably priced! I am glad to hear that it is good since i have only seen it on tv.

If MK only knew....;) Wow! Now I know why people buy what their friends talk about at shows....there's a lesson to be learned! After reading all of the comments (and being out of my MK powder) I decided to just go to the website and get the free sample kit too!! My Everyday Minerals makeup is on it's way! Can't wait.....I used to use Aveda, but that got too expensive, and I've not been truly happy with any makeup since.

I need to order some full size ones myself - I am almost out of the kit I ordered and that was way back in Jan or Feb - it goes a long way. Came packaged in a pretty little gift box and tissue. I was impressed.

Now please dont beat me over the head if y'all dont like it - but I think you will! It just takes practice. Oh and I keep a box of kleenex on my bathroom counter now to put under all the little containers. The powder does get messy until you get the hang of it. I will never go back to regular makeup - Good Luck!

Okay last night at my show there was a mary kay consultant, and she said she was #4 in sales nation wide (to me is amazing because we live in a small town), and she booked a show for August. Anyways she was really nice but waited until I was all done and sat catalogs on the coffee table which I appreciated because everyone had already ordered.I was very impressed, and hope she has a good show!:)

Hi Lisa,
I am just waiting to use all of what I already own. I have about a week's worth left. I used Jennifer's Bare Minerals make up at conference and I swear my skin cleared up overnight! Don't worry, I had my own brushes from some competing company whose makeup made my skin look silver. You know it's bad when your friends offer you makeup! Can't wait until payday!!
:) Elaine

Where do you find the free sample kit on that website? What all do you get in it? I'm always up for free! :rolleyes:

I just ordered the free sample kit from everyday minerals and am very excited! You can't really go wrong with $8total for shipping, a brush and with 3 samples of foundation, 1 blush and 1 concealer! I hope it ships fast as I am in need of new makeup and MAC is beckoning!

Gourmetgirl-

That is exactly what I ordered! I got the small brush. I hope this works! We'll all have to post our results. :)

I oprdered the free set too, and I never even wear make up!
I have seen the bare minerals commercial a hundred times and I always want to order, but I know it's really expensive, and I would hate to get it and then not use it. But... you girls are good! I ordered this kit right away and checked out the website and the stuff looks better also. I will post my results.

hmolah said:
Gourmetgirl-

That is exactly what I ordered! I got the small brush. I hope this works! We'll all have to post our results. :)

I'm in too!

Last year a girlfriend of mine started Mary Kay and to support her business I hosted a party. I ended up buying over $100 in products. This coming from a gal that doesn't wear makeup. And I mean nothing. I don't wear foundation, blush, mascara none of that stuff. But she put it on me and said I needed to have it so I bought it!! Crazy, huh?! (I also felt bad because only 1 of my 5 yeses came to the party)

So now my 3 year old has very expensive med foundation, lipsticks, eye shadows, and blusher to play with. I bought Satin Hands and Lips and use those.

Now that I'm 30 I am noticing the skin on my face has a couple of different skin tones to it. I never got into makeup though and I think if I start messing with it now I would end up looking like a dang clown! I think I'm just better off having light and dark brown spots. Afterall, I'm already married and he's not going anywhere (long story)...who do I need to impress? (and please don't say my custormers--I didn't get into this business to change who I am)

I'm the same way, don't wear makeup at all. Every time I try I end up breaking out and it's too expensive to try all the non-allergenic kinds out there! Plus, like you said, my hubby likes the way I look now, why go and get him all crazy!! :) hehehe

I do like the satin hands stuff from mary kay though. I bought that stuff many years ago and it still works!! I like to use it on my daughters girl friends when they sleep over and we do "girly" things:)

Yeah, the satin hands is great. Did you all know they have a new peach scrub out now that comes with the set? It smells so good. Last time I placed an order, I ordered 4 sets so I can use them as Christmas gifts (I get them half price :D ).

Jennifer - my satin hands set is the new one with the peach scrub. It smells soooo good - just like summertime!

Good Luck to all of you with your samples from Everyday Minerals! I have a friend who uses bareminerals and she has tried mine and says it is just as good. And so much cheaper. My foundation has lasted 5 months. One thing you might want to invest in is a small flat brush for the concealor and eye-shadow. I got a couple at target - the brush part is small like eyeshadow applicator size, with a longer handle. I just dip it in the little pots and then dab it in the top to get some off. the concealor is great around your eyes and on blemishes - then the foundation - dab in the top the same way - your blush (I also got a blush brush from Target) then the finishing dust if you got that. One thing I learned with the foundation - a couple light layers is better than one thick one. Just keep brushing it on until you get it right. Practice! Mine has been on all day - it is 95 degrees here and it is still on! :)

jenniferlynne said:
Yeah, the satin hands is great. Did you all know they have a new peach scrub out now that comes with the set? It smells so good.
I have the new peach scrub too! It's great. I won it as the raffle winner when I did a table at an open house type thing at a health club. The event was lame and nobody came (it was about 100 degrees that day), so all of the vendors entered each others' drawings and I won the satin hands set with the peach scrub. So in my mind THAT was worth it!:)

One thing I learned with the foundation - a couple light layers is better than one thick one. Just keep brushing it on until you get it right. :)

I learned that too. I have been using the Bare Minerals, but if everyone says Everyday Minerals is just as good, I'll give that a try too!!!!

I got it!Yea! My everyday minerals came just now! One question - do I put the concealer on and then the make up? I know that seems like a silly question - but I've never used this kind of make-up before.......and do I just use the concealer in problem areas, or all over? Thanks for any tips!

Becky - I'm so glad you got your products and hope you like them! I bought the mini-brush from Target. I dab the concealor on problem areas first - blemishes and under my eyes. Eyelids too to help set your eyeshadow. Blend well and then rub on your foundation. Follow with blush and then the finishing powder. Good Luck!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • pampermejolene
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • JDooley