• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making a College Decision: Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree

In summary, a Bachelors in Business Administration or Operations Management will give you a lot of options for what to do after you finish your degree. However, if you have a passion for something, go for it! And don't be afraid to get a degree that isn't in the "traditional" areas.
redd3708
Hello all.
I have recently decided that I want to go back to school in persuit of a Bachelor's degree. (Yay! Go me! *grin*) But, I am having a difficult time deciding what it is that I want to study.
I really want to get a degree in culinary arts....but I use to work at a restaurant and it was a HIGH stress-NO FUN job. And I am afraid that my degree won't be put to use. But at the same time, I LOVE TO COOK. (Hence, why I am a PC Consultant.)
Again, I also want to work with animals....possibly be a Veterinary Technician. But that is only an Assiciate's Degree....what else to study to get a BA? Veterinary schooling takes about 8 years and I don't want to do all that....
*sigh*....I don't know...
I would like any input from any of you. What you studied...your job..etc. Thanks for listening.

Why not just take classes that interest you? And go from there.

I have a bachelors in Business Administration and a masers in Operations Management which is very versatile. Both of these focus in management so you can basically do a number of things...however, I should have went to vet school. Don't let the 8 years scare you away...if it is your passion go for it! You can do it!

Why don't you get a business degree and open your own catering or personal chef business? It doesn't really help with the animals, but you would eventually have free time to volunteer at an animal shelter.

Can't help you with the animal work, but I am currently attending college to complete a BA degree in Family and Consumer Science. This degree has a ton of options...Home Ec teacher, child development, extension agent for the local 4-H program, social worker, even teaching elementary school children and the list goes on. I chose the child development option because I work with children in my church. You learn about nutrition, aging concepts, child development, interior decorating...I was amazed at all of the options. This degree plan has helped me with my children's church lesson plans, with my 4-H kids, and with my PC and catering business. I would love to go to culinary school, but don't think that would fly here in SE Oklahoma. We tend to be beans and taters people...LOL What about Hotel and Restaurant Management. That degree also has a lot of options.

I'm currently in college for HR and I love it. The field is changing so much and you have a lot of different options. You could be a manager, training, benefits just to list a few. At our school we also have to take intro courses in all the business fields and you may find one that you like better. Good Luck and good for you!!

A friend of mine is studying to be a hippotherapist. No joke here. A hippo (for horse) therapist does work with handicapped kids or others, helping them to gain confidence, tone muscles, etc. through assisted riding skills. I don't think the plan is all that long -- she's studying through the local community college, which saves bucks (no pun intended).

Check into (more than likely) FREE career counseling through a local college or civic center. See if your local library has books like Richard Bolles' What Color is Your Parachute. It can help you define what you want (by asking you a series of questions). Also try your local unemployment office. Frequently they provide lists of resources for job-hunters.

I've done a lot of resume-writing and career counseling for other people (although I learned how to do it myself, without formal training). My number one thing is to sit down and write an ideal job "ad". Okay, you look in Sunday's career section of your local newspaper -- and, lo and behold -- they have YOUR JOB listed. What would it say...mine might read like this:

"WANTED!!! Community/Promoter/Educator who's mission in life is to help people learn. Has knowledge of health care and wellness issues, including nutruition and cooking topics. Ability to form collaborative ventures with community organizations. Desktop Publishing skills a plus. Great brainstormer a must!!"

Of course, everybody's is different.

Hope this helps. Email me separately if you want more help.

Trish
[email protected]

Another idea...what about starting a line of "culinary treats" for horses? or for their horse owners/riders.

Work at a vet's, giving advise about medicines and foods (for "challenged" dogs). Our vet has a tech or support staff that does that.

Act as a "consultant" teaching kids how to treat their animals nicely.

Or, do as one business here has, start a "Pooch Pickup Service." (they go around and pick up dog poop for people). Odd job, isn't it?

Write a kids' cookbook, featuring recipes they can make for their pets.

And, on and on, the great brainstormer I am goes.

Trish
[email protected]

Whoa, thanks for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it. I now have a little more perspective on college and how far certain degrees can take people.Again, THANKS! :)

Trish1953 said:
A friend of mine is studying to be a hippotherapist.
You cannot even begin to imagine the images that started flashing through my brain when I read this.

I went back to school too, to one of the non-traditional programs. It's amazing how much better you do (grade-wise) when you go back. Whatever path you choose, it's worth it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You cannot even begin to imagine the images that started flashing through my brain when I read this.

I went back to school too, to one of the non-traditional programs. It's amazing how much better you do (grade-wise) when you go back. Whatever path you choose, it's worth it.

LoL.....priceless.

I have my culinary art degree and was using it for several years, but the long hours, weekends and holidays got real old. I switched to an office job and loved the hours, but missed the cooking. Once we had our daughter PC seemed like a great fit. i love PC!! All though, I found myself missing my degree and am now in the process of starting my own personal chef business. I'm really excited for the future and using my FREE products on cook dates. If you go on the internet and google "personal chef" you'll see some organizations that help you learn the business. I joined APCA and they have helped me get my business up and running.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Katie:)

Thanks,
Katie

I have my culinary art degree and was using it for several years, but the long hours, weekends and holidays got real old. I switched to an office job and loved the hours, but missed the cooking. Once we had our daughter PC seemed like a great fit. i love PC!! All though, I found myself missing my degree and am now in the process of starting my own personal chef business. I'm really excited for the future and using my FREE products on cook dates. If you go on the internet and google "personal chef" you'll see some organizations that help you learn the business. I joined APCA and they have helped me get my business up and running.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Katie:)

Thanks,
Katie

Hi Katie! Did you go to an institute, university, community college? I think a personal chef would be awesome. Oh, and was it hard to first start working as a chef?

redd3708 said:
Hi Katie! Did you go to an institute, university, community college? I think a personal chef would be awesome. Oh, and was it hard to first start working as a chef?

I went to a local college after high school and got my 2 year degree.

Are you asking about the personal chef business, if it was hard? Well, I'm almost 2 months in to getting my business ready to operate. It's not like PC where you get the kit and ask friends and family for bookings. I have had to get liability insurance and other things situated first.

What is nice about being a personal chef is that a lot of people have always liked to cook at got sick of their boring job and found that being a personal chef was their dream job. The organization I joined offers weekend classes and they have a yearly conference like Pampered Chef.

Does this help you at all?

Katie

Thanks for all the information. How was it like working as a restaurant chef?

college...
redd3708 said:
Whoa, thanks for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it. I now have a little more perspective on college and how far certain degrees can take people.

Again, THANKS! :)

My degree is in Health Info. Mgt. I hold the Associate's Degree and originally had planned on going back for the BS; but I make the same as those with BS degree if not more,(not that money is everything) My degree is in MGT and I grew up in a family business and sure don't want to manage people--I love the technical parts of my job.....I'm very interested in Marketing and someday may go back for that. I also love helping/assisting others in my area too. Currently I'm coding Hospital records, but my field is anything with health info. :) One of my many clincals/directed practices was in a huge Vet Hosptial, Vet meaning animals and I orig. wanted to be a Veternarian.

My degree is in more demand than Nursing and they're pretty hard up for nursing too. Health Info. Techs/Adminstrators burn out as we're highly unappreciated and others think we're just glorified secretary's. I love what I do, but am soooooo thankful I have PC to keep or help keep me sane. I'm certified to work in all 50 states and probaly Canada, Australia, etc. Nurse's usually have to test/pay to practice in mult. states. I'm seriously thinking about going back to Consulting and working Nationwide again soon :)

Good Luck in whatever it is you decide to do. and remember, learning is always a great thing, no matter what you go back to school for.

Soothenrelax said:
My degree is in Health Info. Mgt. I hold the Associate's Degree and originally had planned on going back for the BS; but I make the same as those with BS degree if not more,(not that money is everything) My degree is in MGT and I grew up in a family business and sure don't want to manage people--I love the technical parts of my job.....I'm very interested in Marketing and someday may go back for that. I also love helping/assisting others in my area too. Currently I'm coding Hospital records, but my field is anything with health info. :) One of my many clincals/directed practices was in a huge Vet Hosptial, Vet meaning animals and I orig. wanted to be a Veternarian.

My degree is in more demand than Nursing and they're pretty hard up for nursing too. Health Info. Techs/Adminstrators burn out as we're highly unappreciated and others think we're just glorified secretary's. I love what I do, but am soooooo thankful I have PC to keep or help keep me sane. I'm certified to work in all 50 states and probaly Canada, Australia, etc. Nurse's usually have to test/pay to practice in mult. states. I'm seriously thinking about going back to Consulting and working Nationwide again soon :)

Good Luck in whatever it is you decide to do. and remember, learning is always a great thing, no matter what you go back to school for.

Ya know, honestly....I was looking into that career field also....but I wasn't sure what exactly I would be doing.

redd3708 said:
Thanks for all the information. How was it like working as a restaurant chef?

Being a chef in a restaurant was hectic. I also worked in a country club and that was where it was the craziest. We did banquets, plus the normal member restaurant. It was also where I learned the most and was able to try different positions. I was a prep cook, pantry chef, line cook, and my favorite I was in charge of making the desserts for everything. The down fall with a restaurant is there open for most of the holidays, you'll have to work weekends and put in a lot of hours. This was a great career when I was young and didn't have a family. That is why being a personal chef is wonderful! Like PC I can create my own hours and the type of business I want to have. I only plan on working 2-3 days a week and on average the cook dates will last 4-6 hours depending on how many meals you'll be making.

I am currently a student at the University of Phoenix, I am studying business management which will help me with my business in alot of differnt ways but I started college well before I became a consultant for PC. Good Luck with your studies.. it seems like a really long road when you begin but here I am two years into it and I have two years left.....

1. What factors should I consider when making a college decision?

When deciding on a college for your bachelor's degree, it's important to consider factors such as the school's academic programs, cost, location, campus culture, and career opportunities. You should also think about your personal goals and preferences, such as the size of the school and whether you prefer a rural or urban setting.

2. How do I know if a college is the right fit for me?

It's important to visit the campus and speak with current students and faculty to get a feel for the school's atmosphere and culture. You should also research the school's academic programs and resources to see if they align with your interests and goals. Additionally, consider the financial aspect and if the school is within your budget.

3. Is it better to attend a large or small college?

The best college size for you will depend on your personal preferences and goals. Large colleges often offer a wider range of academic programs and extracurricular activities, while small colleges may offer a more personalized and intimate learning experience. Consider what type of environment will help you thrive academically and socially.

4. How can I make the most out of my college experience?

To make the most out of your college experience, get involved in extracurricular activities and join clubs or organizations that align with your interests. Take advantage of resources such as academic advisors, career services, and study abroad programs. Also, make connections with professors and peers, as they can provide valuable support and networking opportunities.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a bachelor's degree?

Earning a bachelor's degree can open up a variety of career opportunities and increase your earning potential. It also provides a valuable education and helps you develop critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, many employers prefer candidates with a bachelor's degree, making it a worthwhile investment in your future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
heat123