• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Low Sales at Last Two Shows!!??

In summary, people are having low sales at their shows lately, but with the right marketing and products, chefs can still make a decent income.
pamperedcheermom
Is everyone having low sales at their shows lately? I've had two cooking shows this past week and the first "might" make it to $200 but for now it's at $180. The second was at $108 till the mother of the host ordered more to get her to $200. The economy is so bad these days that people are afraid to spend money, which I completely understand.
It wasn't for lack of host coaching..............I host coach people to death!

Just wondered if others are having this problem and what are you doing about it? If anything!:cry:

What are you making at your shows? What are you saying? How are you "marketing" PC during these hard economic times?People will spend money if you show them the value. My shows over the weekend were $900 and $1200 with many orders over $100. I sold lots of DCBs at full price because people see how it will help them save time in the kitchen, which will help them save money on groceries and avoid eating out.

the free products with $60 purchase work well for me. i do agree with you in general that per person average is lower.

I prepare recipes that are very economical and easy so that anyone can fix them. I talk about all the products that I have with me and tell how they can serve different purposes (if it applies) and then talk about products that are in the catalog, including the DCB (which I love). I also tell them about the guest special with a $60 or more order. For example, the Sept guest special was the Mix & Chop or the cookware protectors. I've had people tell me they can't spend $60 just to get the Mix & Chop for free. Several have ordered the Mix & Chop but for some, that's all they order.

I'm trying not to get discouraged but it's been a while since I've had a really big show. Actually I'm happy with several $400-$500 shows each month (more is always better) but when they're barely reaching $150.............that hurts. Hopefully this trend will end soon for me.

I had 2 shows this weekend that didn't even qualify. One is at $30 in sales and the other just broke $100..
That, coming off a kick butt August of almost 3k really disappoints. :cry:

To go along with my previous posts...............what do some of you take to your shows? I know you take the products to prepare the recipe but how many other products do you take? I like to show as much of the products in person as I can but I end up with so much that I'm exhausted just carrying it in. Sometimes the host helps carry things in, sometimes not. Yesterday my show was at an apartment which was on the 3rd floor of the complex (no elevator). Needless to say I was tired before it even started. But I put that aside and concentrated on trying to have a good show. It was an "ok" show (no one was really paying attention) and the sales were really low.

What do others pack their products in? I have the big black tote that came with my kit but it's sooooo heavy when I pack it. I also use a clothes basket for other things, then sometimes another bag for more stuff. Sometimes I feel like I do more planning and packing then I need to. Do the rest of you take a ton of stuff to your shows or just the products used for the recipe?

chefsteph07 said:
I had 2 shows this weekend that didn't even qualify. One is at $30 in sales and the other just broke $100..
That, coming off a kick butt August of almost 3k really disappoints. :cry:

OK, I feel much better now! I don't mean that in a bad way either. Sometimes it helps to know that others have the same things happen to them. That way I don't take it personally. I really think the economy is scaring people so bad that they won't or can't spend any money. I know I certainly don't have anything extra to spend!

In addition to what I will bring for my recipe, I will always bring...

8 in saute pans in exec and stainless
medium sheet pan
a simple addition piece (even if it's a mug)
a sample of the pantry spices
round up trivet

I'm trying to take less and less to my shows. I take all the products to be used (unless the host has some of the heavy ones, and I do ask), then I try to take at least one from each product line--stoneware, simple additions, etc. I to take my tool turn around with oodles of gadgets in it, and some of the "new" products. I try to make it in just 2 trips. I use the consultant tote and a crate that was part of my sign-on kit almost 2 years ago. I have a PC shoulder bag for my catalogs and paperwork. That is it. I also display the host's PC stuff. And don't forget that wonderful little charge card plaque that PC sells for like $1. People really do seem to buy more when they charge it. I've even given out a copy of Season's Best if they charge sometimes.

My number of shows is going up, but my show sales are going down! I also feel that people are spending less, no matter how much you talk about saving them money in the long run.

Sometimes it is worth bringing more. Notice how people tend to buy what you show them??

Are you doing interactive shows? I only bring what I need for the recipe plus a piece of each cookware collection, the SA small bowl caddy with two white bowls (which I use for my pens), Bamboo Bowl to collect drawing slips. I think that's about it.

I noticed the month we had cookware deal (Feb.) my show totals were low. The hostess only wanted to get the show qualified so she could take advantage of the
60% off savings. That may be the same situation this month. The hostess' got
more in savings than I realized in commission. I chalked it up to business building
and was thankful to have shows to submit, so I could remain active.

It really just depends on the crowd. Some of my shows are small and only reach maybe $200 while others in the same week or month will reach $700-800.
I really think it's just the group I am dealing with at that particular show. The lower sales show was with stay at home moms who try to really budget.
The higher sales show was with a stay at home mom who has lots of friends who love to shop and love PC.
So it really just depends and don't think it has anything to do with you or your host coaching.
Sometimes you can host coach until you're blue in the face and it still doesn't work out. I try to use incentives for my hosts like collecting so many outside orders and having so many orders at their show for a free product of their choice (I give them a choice of 3). Or more free product value from me if they reach $500 or more. It doesn't always work. Keep up the good work, it will eventually pay off!

Debbie :chef:

I am focusing on customer service and the $2/serving. I think empathy goes a long way and people are worried right now. I am focusing on feeding your family and spending time with them for $2/person. And if you connect with them, even if they can't spend $$ now, they will remember you.

I must say I too have been feeling this. I have JUST started out and I am so bummed! I have had TWO shows already. Grand total of BOTH of them: $325.00 with just $205 counting toward my kit rebate!:( And $42 of it is my OWN order to bump their total to qualify!I canceled the one show I did (and don't get credit for now) and had to blend them together just to get it to qualify as a show. :cry:It's hard for me to be so enthusiastic about this and have nobody even remotely interested. :grumpy:

I've been there, too, though I must say lately I haven't noticed sales going down much. I agree with Deb -- show the value of the products and how versatile the products are. Also, I really talk to the host about getting outside orders from everyone that cannot make it to the show. Outside orders can really make a difference! I show her how a few outside orders can make a huge difference, then she realizes with even a few more outside orders, she can really get alot of free products.

I am psyched about my show sales coming off a $800+ show. Now I need to get some shows booked. I just have to remind myself why I started this and that no matter how slow things get at times, I CAN do this. Christmas is coming and people will start buying for gifts....and hosting to EARN them instead of buying. All I can say is keep your head up.

At least you're having shows! I had one cancel last week because she couldn't get anyone to come out... we were just coming off a gas shortage (for over a week you couldn't hardly find gas in Nashville) so I think it was bad timing. We're going to try again in November when people will need to do Christmas shopping.

I've actually had FOUR additional shows that have had to cancel entirely due to lack of RSVP's and or interest. I feel like I made a total mistake coming into this when I did!

How many new consultants have an immediate booking of 6 shows to have them non-productive or cancelled? And that is WITH a LOT of coaching and help. I just started and feel like this is pointless. I've invested over $400.00 at this point with the startup kit and a supply order to help me have freebies for shows, giveaway, incentives, product demos, business cards and such, and I have 30 dollars *(30 dollars!!!!!!) [NOT including my latest order to bump the show to qualify]; to show for it. If you count that show, I am $414.00 in the HOLE!

Friends and family don't want to hear it anymore. I've run all of my 100 contacts and nothing. I've already had a vendor show with ZERO leads and a sale of only $6.50! I was so enthusiastic. I love Pampered Chef. I have gotten nothing but positive reviews from PC. My cup runeth over" with enthusiasiam for the product, the business, the product and what it's services can offer the SAHM and their budget. But nothing worth mentioning. I have 3 more shows scheduled before the end of October. One host has emailed 5 guests (*yes, 5!) and ignored my coaching. One of those three just canceled today due to no rsvp's and wants to do a private order of their own.

I *seriously* prayed before taking this leap! I don't know what more I can do. I've done friend, family, co-workers, outside contacts, church members, associates, enormous amounts of fellow sahm's, contacts of contacts, and even enthusiastic hosts, but nothing is working. I don't know what to do!

I am so sad. is it just the economy or the new therein?? Or is this common and I should endure?

Last edited:
While, yes, I have the occasional show lately that's low because people are watching their pennies, I can't say that I've noticed a huge drop. I'm so sorry that you're disappointed at your start, Murkey. If it makes you feel any better, mine wasn't particularly stellar. There were two things that helped to turn things around for me. Both involved my mindset. I don't know if they'll help those of you who are struggling, but I'll share them. First, I changed my concept of what it meant to have a successful show. It doesn't have anything to do with dollar amounts. A show is successful if everyone had a good time and at least one person learned something. I ask that question at the end of my presentation/demo. It lets the guests know my goal and reminds me of the decision I made. This allows me to walk away pleased with a show whether the sales are $151 or $1,510. Yes, I want to make money, but this change allowed me to relax and enjoy myself. The $700+ show I closed last night and the $700-800 show I'll close today attest to the fact that it's working.Second, I stopped asking people to "have a show for me." It seems like a small thing, but changing my wording to "I'd like to do a party for you," made a big difference. The emphasis is outward, rather than inward. Words seem small, but they do hold power.Like I said, I don't know if these will help. You may already be doing these things. If not, though, they may be worth a try.

I had a lot of fun at my Open House, was very relaxed and just thoroughly enjoyed sharing tips I've learned and about my favorite things that help me put together quick and easy meals. I think that helped me get the bookings that I did. I just need to try to be that way when I'm at other people's homes. I guess I feel nervous still, being still kind of new, and with the whole doing shows for people I don't know, or guests I don't know. I think that we perform better with practice. I do have to say that getting the bookings sure gave me confidence. Then when I was doing phone calls on my fair leads I had, I probably came off better and not so desperate (like I think I probably sounded when I went through some before my open house.) Now I have several bookings and people who want to be on my newsletter list and others who are referring their friends to me, etc. I'm so excited and energized now. :) As far as sales go, my guests tend to not spend that much. I really do think that people are trying to watch their spending right now. Some people who really take to heart how the products are an investment will spend the $, so I just need to make sure people understand how these things can help them long term.

murkey said:
I've actually had FOUR additional shows that have had to cancel entirely due to lack of RSVP's and or interest. I feel like I made a total mistake coming into this when I did!

How many new consultants have an immediate booking of 6 shows to have them non-productive or cancelled? And that is WITH a LOT of coaching and help. I just started and feel like this is pointless. I've invested over $400.00 at this point with the startup kit and a supply order to help me have freebies for shows, giveaway, incentives, product demos, business cards and such, and I have 30 dollars *(30 dollars!!!!!!) [NOT including my latest order to bump the show to qualify]; to show for it. If you count that show, I am $414.00 in the HOLE!

Friends and family don't want to hear it anymore. I've run all of my 100 contacts and nothing. I've already had a vendor show with ZERO leads and a sale of only $6.50! I was so enthusiastic. I love Pampered Chef. I have gotten nothing but positive reviews from PC. My cup runeth over" with enthusiasiam for the product, the business, the product and what it's services can offer the SAHM and their budget. But nothing worth mentioning. I have 3 more shows scheduled before the end of October. One host has emailed 5 guests (*yes, 5!) and ignored my coaching. One of those three just canceled today due to no rsvp's and wants to do a private order of their own.

I *seriously* prayed before taking this leap! I don't know what more I can do. I've done friend, family, co-workers, outside contacts, church members, associates, enormous amounts of fellow sahm's, contacts of contacts, and even enthusiastic hosts, but nothing is working. I don't know what to do!

I am so sad. is it just the economy or the new therein?? Or is this common and I should endure?

#1 rule of the biz--don't spend money before you make money. I tell all my new consultants. All they need is the kit, some pens, and some printable business cards. You can get the rest as you earn PC $$ and make money.

Personally, I think it's the economy...I, too have had people cancel this month. Our local economy is shaky at best and I think people are scared. So I'm trying to focus on building relationships with people, whether they host a show or not, to reap the benefits when the economy turns around--and it will with a bang! I hope to see the results of all my efforts after Christmas, although I do have 3 shows booked for October and 3 for November so far. Push outlet sales if you have a website--I've been marketing it as a "holiday shopping on a budget" option and have had decent response and some phone calls about it. I admit it is a tiny bit frustrating when you are new, but I determined to just keep my other part-time job as a server until I'm really going (I also work full-time). It'll happen; stay positive :)

thank you all! I think I will adjust my views to the shows and do what I can with what the Lord is giving me right now. I will focus on relationships and just have fun. I think I will move more into our more "well to do" areas of town and see about doing a show and whatnot there instead of my more local area, which has less "play money"Thank you all for your help and thoughts!

murkey said:
thank you all! I think I will adjust my views to the shows and do what I can with what the Lord is giving me right now. I will focus on relationships and just have fun. I think I will move more into our more "well to do" areas of town and see about doing a show and whatnot there instead of my more local area, which has less "play money"

Thank you all for your help and thoughts!

Are you sending invites for your hosts? I have been doing that for over 2 years and it has made a huge impact on my business. First off, you know that if they give you guest list they are serious about holding their show, thus, less cancellation on your part. I make it clear that once I receive their list I will then give them their host kit. Next, you know how many people they really invited. Most of the time, hosts will say, oh, I invited EVERYONE I know...did they really, or did they send them at all? At least this way, you know if they have 40 guests or 5 they are planning on inviting and you can host coach accordingly. Next, whenever you can, get a website, your hosts can send evites right from there as well and you have them in your contacts also!

I try hard to give my hosts the attitude that this is a PARTY and I want them to do as little as possible, and focus on getting people there and the only thing they have to do is pick up the ingredients for the demo. Most of the time my hosts tell me it's the easiest party they've ever had.

Lastly, DO NOT spend a fortune to start out! That is really setting yourself up for failure. I do agree to get some business cards, that is a must. You can get those from vistaprint.com and only pay the shipping. I'd also get some seasons best and recipe cards off supply and just give those out for giveaways. Make sure you put your info on the front cover.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

This is a very tight time for anyone in DS right now, but hopefully with the holidays comming it will get a little better. Im thinking it is a big bunch of money issues hitting everyone at once. We have gas shortages, and with the economy money shortages, to top off the fact that we are all sending our kids back to school and are paying for school clothes, school supplies and lunches etc. I have noticed a drop off in shows, I had 4 scheduled for this month 2 cooking 2 catalog (as challenged by my director) and all but 1 cancelled. A few because they eveacuated thinking Ike would hit, and others because of budgeting and stuff. The news is even telling people, only buy what is necessary right now, no extras! That hurts because we sell the "extras" they are talking about. My shows have been low too. Lately for me, by the time I pay for gas to and from a show and a babysitter to watch my kids during the show, any profits from the show have been spent.

It could just be the area I live in, but I have not seen a drop off in business- I have a full schedule for October and November, and have done $15,000 in sales since June. I did have large shows, where not everyone ordered, but the shows never closed for less than $500. I know that some areas are a lot worse off though.

1. Why are my sales low at the last two shows?

There could be several reasons for low sales at your last two shows. It could be due to a seasonal slump, a change in the market, or even poor marketing and promotion. It's important to analyze what may have contributed to the low sales and make necessary adjustments for future shows.

2. How can I improve my sales at the last two shows?

To improve your sales at the last two shows, you can try offering special deals or discounts, promoting the event on social media, or reaching out to past customers. You can also try adding new products or changing up the layout of your display to attract more attention.

3. Is there a specific time or day that is better for hosting shows?

The best time and day for hosting shows can vary depending on your target audience and their schedules. It's important to consider factors such as weekends, holidays, and local events when scheduling your shows. You can also ask your past customers for their preferred time and day for attending shows.

4. How can I attract more guests to my shows?

To attract more guests to your shows, you can offer incentives for bringing friends, advertise on social media and local community boards, and reach out to your contacts through email or phone calls. You can also collaborate with other consultants or businesses to expand your reach.

5. What can I do to increase my sales after a slow show?

If you've had a slow show, it's important to follow up with your guests and offer them special deals or promotions. You can also reach out to past customers and offer them a discount on their next purchase. It's also a good idea to analyze what may have contributed to the slow show and make improvements for future events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
richardson3
  • wickednoodle
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies