• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Wii for Family......what's Best and Couple Other ??

In summary, Lisa's family recommends getting a Wii for the family this year. It depends on the game on how many people can play. Games for younger children are available, but if you want more mature games, you'll need to buy them separately. The Wii comes with a remote and a nunchuck. Wii Fit is also available and can be used for personal training or exercise. The most popular family games seem to be from the Mario group. There are several titles in the Mario series.
Lisa/ChefBear
Gold Member
Hi all,
My hubby and I are looking at getting a Wii for the family this year for Christmas. But we've got a family of 5, can we all play games together??

What's best way to get started?? What do you need?? We've got younger children (6, 9, & 10) and we don't want or need Horror or rock um sock um games.

We don't even know what's available, but we know our kids love going to a couple of friends houses who've got them.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

It depends on the game on how many people you can play. Alot of the Wii games are designed for a younger crowd. You can also watch the ratings on the game. If they say E for Everyone they should be suitable for the entire family. The console itself comes with 1 remote and 1 numchuck. I think it supports up to 4 so you would have to buy 3 more of each. It comes with Wii Sports which could keep your family entertained for a while.

So if we did get this, like my youngest and I could be buddies and play together as one person??? Like one time she could play and next time it was "our" turn, she could play??

Thanks,

Lisa

On the back of every Wii game, in the upper right hand corner, you will see blue icons of controllers, nunchucks and balance boards...or not...depending on what devices the game uses. There will also be a number that tells you how many people can play, from 1 to 4. Each device has motion detectors in them, so the Wii follows your actions on screen, based on your movements with the devices.The balance board is sold as Wii Fit. It is used primarily for personal training and exercise, but it can also be used for ski and snowboard games. (New this fall is the Wii Fit Plus, which is the same balance board but it is bundled with exercise/workout software that allows you to build a custom exercise program. If you already have a balance board, you can purchase the Wii Fit Plus software as a standalone program for about twenty bucks.)The most popular family games seem to be from the Mario group, and there are several titles in the Mario series. The latest is Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games. A hot one is Mario Cart, which comes with a wheel. It's a driving game and although I've never played it myself, it looks like a riot. You can buy additional wheels (your controller fits into the wheel) and you can buy a third party wheel from Nerf.You can learn more about it at the http://www.nintendo.com/wii site or the official Wii site and you'll find a wide variety of games at most big box retailers. (I happen to be quite familiar with the games at Wally World, where you'll also find older Wii games at greatly reduced prices.)

Someone told me to watch between Walmart and Sams that they offer amazing bundles before Christmas.

I've been checking on line and there are so many bundles out there I frankly afraid I'll get something we don't want or need.

Lisa

we found an awesome deal on craigs list. Over $500 worth of stuff for $300. Many games accessories and wi fit board. Now to keep it hidden till Christmas!

The bundles are usually packed with other games. Just watch to see what you may want. Good thing is the Wii just went down in price. DH's family got me on for my bday in August at $250 and a month later it went down to $199.

Lisa/ChefBear said:
So if we did get this, like my youngest and I could be buddies and play together as one person??? Like one time she could play and next time it was "our" turn, she could play??

Thanks,

Lisa

DH and I do this all the time with 1 player games.

There are more bundles coming - most of them are offered online only. Check walmart.com for ideas.The Guitar Hero and Rock Band bundles are also quite popular with families, although maybe not suitable for younger children. The band bundles usually come with a guitar (or two) a drum set, and a microphone. My sister in law bought a Rock Band bundle last year and the family has used it a great deal. DJ Hero is being released this week, and that looks...interesting. The Beatles came out a few weeks ago, and there are more coming.

Along with Wii Sports, my brother's family is giving rave reviews of Wii Sports Resort. Their kids are 7,5 and 1.

ok...what they all said....and if you have a video game store in your area (like Gamestop) you can scoop up used Wii games too. The Wii Sports that comes with the console is wonderful. Your older kids might like Thrillville, where you build and operate an amusement park, including building your own rollercoasters with as much or as little help as you need. Wii Play or any of the multisport games are fun too.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for all the help. KG for the links to the sites, now that kids are in school I can do some research!!

Thanks for the reviews of games, keep them coming, as I need all the help I can get, lol.

Lisa

My daughter works with the Special Ed class at one of our local high schools. She wrote a grant to get a Wii and games for their kids. She got "The Price is Right" and Wii Music. My 3 yo grandson loved the Wii music. He got to "play" all kinds of different instruments! She said the kids (levels K-2nd grade) really enjoyed TPIR game and it teaches math skills (estimation). I bowl on the Wii Sports that comes with it. My DD also bought the "control package" that had the golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc. in it. They got 4 controllers.

Another thing you can do is look in your area for used game stores. Some of them will have a 7 day return policy on used games. You can try it out and it if you don't like it, you can return it for store credit. This maybe useful in the future when it comes to buying games so you aren't wasting money on games you don't like.

We love Wii Resorts! I also want Mario Kart and the new Mario game coming out for Christmas.

Do you have an Aldi's near you? I saw in their wish book they will be offering a wi console and 4 games for $250. Not a bad deal.

Holiday's are here and the WII is priced at $199.99 in my area. Last year we wanted to do the same thing, buy for the family gift. Nobody had in stock except GameStop. I have 6 in my family, so we purchaed extra remotes and remote chargers, a must have. We purchaed Mario Kart, absolutely love, and WII Sports. We only have 4 remotes so if we all play we still have to take turns.
My younges who is 5 loves playing Monster Trucks on the WII. So there is something for every age. Enjoy!!!

Monopoly is fun. Mario Party and Mario Kart are good too.

We have a Wii and love it. We are also a family of five DH and I and three boy's (10, 5 1/2 and 4). The youngest and I take turns when we all want to play.

janetupnorth said:
Along with Wii Sports, my brother's family is giving rave reviews of Wii Sports Resort. Their kids are 7,5 and 1.

Keep in mind with this game you will need an add on piece for your Wii remote and it is $20 at Walmart. You can't play it without it.

My youngest DS just got Mario Kart for his b-day, love gift cards to Gamestop! He has had a blast and so have we for that matter. My middle DS love the Monster Jam game. Oldest DS likes the Star Wars games.

Have fun!

pamperedpals said:
We have a Wii and love it. We are also a family of five DH and I and three boy's (10, 5 1/2 and 4). The youngest and I take turns when we all want to play.

Keep in mind with this game you will need an add on piece for your Wii remote and it is $20 at Walmart. You can't play it without it.

My youngest DS just got Mario Kart for his b-day, love gift cards to Gamestop! He has had a blast and so have we for that matter. My middle DS love the Monster Jam game. Oldest DS likes the Star Wars games.

Have fun!

The game comes with 1 of the sensor things so at least you have one when you purchase the game.

Our favorites: Mario Kart, Wii Sports (came w/ the set), and Wii Playground, and Wii Play. My 4 yr. old isn't as good w/ Wii Play, though. The other kids are 10,8, and 2 (she doesn't play of course.) Mario Kart can be played w/o the wheel, too. We actually prefer to not use the wheel. This Christmas, I want to get the Wii Fit for me and the Mario/Sonic Olympics one for the kids. (But I'm sure we'll all play that one, too.) :DOh and the guys in my house LOVE to play Star Wars Light Saber Duel.

Just a word of caution though- don't wait TOO long to purchase the "hot" items. Nintendo only releases a limited supply of the Wii products- so they sell out fast as you get closer to the holidays. It took me 6 months to finally get the Wii Fit! I wanted it last year for Christmas, but no one had it- they kept ADVERTISING IT, but no one had it. They only get very small shipments that go in a day. (Same thing goes for the "hot games".)So waiting for "the big sale" - while saves money, often means you probably won't get it or will really have to hunt.My boys (8, 6) really love Lego Star Wars, but also another vote for the Wii Sports and the Wii Playground, and Mario Cart. They have way too many- but those are the top games. They like the Wii Cars games too. (Gamestop is great because of the used prices. )

WOW, I've got lots of research to do.

Thanks again,

Lisa

Well I'm off to get a Wii today, finally, last two times was going to go that day, one of the girls got sick.

Pray for me to find the deal we need and the games we want, lol.

My sister said she's heard there's one for helping kids with spelling and I've got 2 that struggle with spelling. Does anyone have that game??

Thanks again for all the help and input.

Lisa

I've been seeing them every other week in the Fry's ads with 2 bonus games. The games vary, but if you can get that deal, how can you go wrong?! It's still the $199 price and you end up getting 3 games to start yourself off (the Wii always comes with one game included)

One store was out of bundle with Play game added and wouldn't give me rain check, another was out of Wii's totally and no idea on when they'd get back in so I went to Sam's club and bought it there. Got just game that comes with it, but while shopping around saw at Best Buy the New Sports Resort with 2 motion sensors for $59.99, and game along was 49.99, so thought that was great purchase.

I'm hoping kids love it, hubby and I so want to set it up and play while they are in bed, but our kids don't always stay in bed, so we're goign to try and control ourselves, lol.

Lisa

1. What is the best Wii console for families?

The Wii U is considered the best option for families as it offers a wide variety of family-friendly games and has a unique controller that allows for multiplayer gaming.

2. Can the Wii U play older Wii games?

Yes, the Wii U is backwards compatible and can play all Wii games. However, you will need to use a Wii Remote and Nunchuk to play these games on the Wii U.

3. Do I need to buy additional controllers for multiplayer games?

It depends on the game you want to play. Some games only require the Wii U GamePad, while others may require additional controllers such as the Wii Remote or Wii U Pro Controller.

4. Is the Wii U suitable for young children?

Yes, the Wii U has a wide range of games that are suitable for young children. It also has parental controls that allow you to restrict access to certain games and content.

5. Are there any accessories that are recommended for the Wii U?

There are several accessories that can enhance your Wii U gaming experience, such as the Wii U Pro Controller, additional Wii Remotes, and the Wii U GamePad stand and charging dock. However, these are not necessary and can be purchased separately as needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kam
Replies
Views
rennea
  • ChefJoyJ
  • General Chat
Replies