• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Good Book? Any Suggestions?

In summary, the Host is a good book that is also by Stephanie Meyer. The Shack is full of trash about God being whoever you want him/her to be, and portrays God as a woman. I read Water for Elephants and it is one I recommend to anyone looking for a good fiction. I loved the True Blood series but there is sex and bad language. Joanne Fluke has a series about a Bakery Owner - Hannah Swensen - who also solves murder mysteries and these books also contain recipes. Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke--Home PageI love to read James Patterson books they are mystery though but they are very good and clean and fast
Shawnna
Gold Member
Hey...has anyone read this book? I ordered it from Crossings but haven't received it yet. I finished the Twilight series awhile back and I am looking for something good to read. I loved the Twilight series and now I am having a hard time because there is nothing more...lol. So, anyone have any suggestions on some good books. I don't like books with bad language and/or a lot of sex stuff. I enjoy romance but the rest can be left out. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

The Host is really good. It is also by Stephanie Meyer.

The Shack, even though it has been on the Bestseller List, is full of trash about God being whoever you want him/her to be... It even portrays God as a woman... I read about halfway and decided it was definitely not something I wanted to finish...and I want to finish every book I pick up!

I LOVED "Water for Elephants"! It's one I recommend to anyone looking for a good fiction!

I LOVED the True Blood series but there is sex and bad language. They are sooooo campy though. I also have read the Twilight series (multiple times!) and the Host. Some other books I have enjoyed this year include The Time Travelers Wife, the Glass Castle and Fall On Your Knees. The last two are not feel good books but they are great reads.

I have this thing for "cozy" mysteries (it is a genre of mystery writing) because I like feel good stories to read at night.

Diane Mott Davidson has written a series of books about a Caterer - Goldy Schultz - who solves murder mysteries. They are fun, and include all kinds of recipes with each book. http://www.dianemottdavidson.com/books.html

Joanne Fluke has a series about a Bakery Owner - Hannah Swensen - who also solves murder mysteries, These books also contain recipes!

Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke--Home Page

I love to read James Patterson books they are mystery though but they are very good and clean and fast reading.

About The Shack...

I haven't actually read it yet, but it has been highly recommended to me by 2 different people that I highly respect both as people and Christians. They are both Bible believing, wise, evangelical Christians, and I have a hard time believing that they would recommend an "un-sound" book. And remember, this is a novel, not a theological book, and doesn't claim to be an exact represenation of God.

My understanding about the book is that 1) It focuses on the grace and love of God, and how it meets our needs, and how a relationship with Him is supposed to bring us joy, healing and peace, not guilt and fear.

And 2) it will challenge your asumptions about God. So, for example, we often assume that God is a man. He isn't!! He is God, and he is genderless! However the Bible does talk about "God the Father", and so we think about him as being a man, a nice old man with a robe and long white hair and beard. And I'll admit I do myself sort of picture him this way sometimes! But what IS true, is that God does have the characteristics of a father, both to us and to Jesus, and yes the Bible does refer to Him as "Him". This still does not make him "male". And honestly, knowing the nature and characteristics of God, I would suggest that he also has the loving characteristics of a mother too! (For example, to be a "mother to the motherless").

Anyway, I am by no means a "raving feminist" and certainly don't, and won't ever, go around calling GOD "she", I just wanted to give a different perspective as I have heard such good things about this book. I guess I would suggest that may be God can be a little different to different people, meeting our different needs in different ways, all *within* the Biblical description and characteristics of him... Even within the Bible we have different descrpitions of God - as a loving Father, as Son, Saviour, Judge etc etc.

I guess my opinion is that if it brings one person closer to God then it is a good thing! I know already of friends whose daughter completely turned her back on God, who read this book and it has started to change her perspective on God. So many people have had bad "religious" experiences, whether through Church or family up-bringing, and who see God as distant, unloving and judgemental. If this book can open their hearts and minds to see God as loving, forgiving and someone who wants to have a relationship with them, then isn't that a good thing? And again, this is a novel, and does not claim to be theologically correct, but focuses on God's character...

Anyway, I apologize in advance if I am completey wrong! :) I know my parents are giving it my DH for Christmas, and so maybe I'll give a review after I get a chance to read it!! If anyone else has read this book, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective/opinion!

And sorry this turned out to be so long!

Also, I just found this review/article and found it really interesting and helpful...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-05-28-the-shack_N.htm

PS Have you read the Mitford books? They are so sweet, and funny. Perfect "feel good" books :)

I firmly believe that God is a male because He is the father and the Bible always says "He". Also in Genesis it the Bible tells us that God said "Let us make man in our image". And later he made the female to be a helpmate for Adam. And the Bible says that He made male and female. While it is true that God portrays what we would call femanine qualities...loving, caring, nurturing, etc...He is mostly spoken of in the masculine sense. However, I don't think He is male in the sense that we picture...only that He is masculine. But, that is really beside the point of this thread. So, back to the book questions...

Jane...I don't think your description of the book will cause me to stop reading it. But, if as I read I get the sense that it is not meant to be Godly...that it is "putting God down" so to speak...then I won't recommend it to anyone else. I do however feel that I can't give a true and correct recommendation if I don't finish the book. That is not to say that I believe you are wrong for not finishing it or that I don't believe you. If you feel God is not pleased with you for reading this...if you feel it is negative to God...then you are doing the right thing. I would not even begin to try to persuade you differently. Each person's walk with God is different and not everything is good for everyone. I only hope that I will be as perceptive to hear God's voice if I shouldn't be reading this book...or any other book for that matter. We have to guard our spirituality very closely. May God bless you all. Thanks for the book recommendations and if anyone else wants to join in about The Shack or any other book, I would love to hear from you. I think I am going to look for "The Host".

AnnieBee said:
About The Shack...

I haven't actually read it yet, but it has been highly recommended to me by 2 different people that I highly respect both as people and Christians. They are both Bible believing, wise, evangelical Christians, and I have a hard time believing that they would recommend an "un-sound" book. And remember, this is a novel, not a theological book, and doesn't claim to be an exact represenation of God.

My understanding about the book is that 1) It focuses on the grace and love of God, and how it meets our needs, and how a relationship with Him is supposed to bring us joy, healing and peace, not guilt and fear.

And 2) it will challenge your asumptions about God. So, for example, we often assume that God is a man. He isn't!! He is God, and he is genderless! However the Bible does talk about "God the Father", and so we think about him as being a man, a nice old man with a robe and long white hair and beard. And I'll admit I do myself sort of picture him this way sometimes! But what IS true, is that God does have the characteristics of a father, both to us and to Jesus, and yes the Bible does refer to Him as "Him". This still does not make him "male". And honestly, knowing the nature and characteristics of God, I would suggest that he also has the loving characteristics of a mother too! (For example, to be a "mother to the motherless").

Anyway, I am by no means a "raving feminist" and certainly don't, and won't ever, go around calling GOD "she", I just wanted to give a different perspective as I have heard such good things about this book. I guess I would suggest that may be God can be a little different to different people, meeting our different needs in different ways, all *within* the Biblical description and characteristics of him... Even within the Bible we have different descrpitions of God - as a loving Father, as Son, Saviour, Judge etc etc.

I guess my opinion is that if it brings one person closer to God then it is a good thing! I know already of friends whose daughter completely turned her back on God, who read this book and it has started to change her perspective on God. So many people have had bad "religious" experiences, whether through Church or family up-bringing, and who see God as distant, unloving and judgemental. If this book can open their hearts and minds to see God as loving, forgiving and someone who wants to have a relationship with them, then isn't that a good thing? And again, this is a novel, and does not claim to be theologically correct, but focuses on God's character...

Anyway, I apologize in advance if I am completey wrong! :) I know my parents are giving it my DH for Christmas, and so maybe I'll give a review after I get a chance to read it!! If anyone else has read this book, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective/opinion!

And sorry this turned out to be so long!

Also, I just found this review/article and found it really interesting and helpful...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-05-28-the-shack_N.htm

I have the book - and will be reading it over Christmas.

I've heard much the same as you have about the book Annabel, and I highly respect the people who have recommended it to me. I'm looking forward to reading it, and then to discuss it.

I'm not a feminist in the politically correct sense of the word - but I do believe that God transcends gender. He (see - I refer to the Male also) is everything to all people, and will meet you where you are and be what you need. He is God. Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent.

AnnieBee said:
PS Have you read the Mitford books? They are so sweet, and funny. Perfect "feel good" books :)

Oh - how could I forget these! I LOVE Father Tim, and the whole cast of characters in these books. I want to live in Mitford! I have read, and re-read them several times. I was just given Home To Holly Springs and plan on reading that during Christmas break also!:D

Try the House of Night series. There's 4 of them right now. They're by P.C. Cast. It's about a girl who gets marked to become a vampire, and she goes to like a boarding school. They're really good.

I read the Shack. It shows God as three distinct personalities. I didn't love it, but there are those that I totally respect as Christians that did. I love how it portrays Jesus as a person. I also loved how it dealt with forgiveness and dealing with emotional pain. But read it for yourself--it's a quick read.

People in my area say not to read it. At the moment I cannot think of the specifics as to why not to. I generally do not read books like this b/c you never know when they are going to be in line with what you believe. I rarely recommend any b/c I do not want to cause confusion in someone that is not well grounded.

I know that our Pastor does not recommend it, so, that means it is not in line with Southern Baptist doctrine but I am not sure where we differ with it.

A friend loaned me the book, and I will be reading it shortly. I have recently discovered Karen Kingsbury, and her Baxter Series. I am really enjoying them. Also, her book, A Time to Dance, and the sequel (I can not remember the name) are 2 books I could not put down until I finished them.

Jennifer, you should read the link I posted, it gives an idea of what the book is about, and where it came from (about the authors life), and includes some of the criticisms of it. I found the article really interesting.

Generally speaking, I don't think there is anything wrong with reading a book that is not 100% "in-line" with what you believe, if it makes you think harder and evaluate what and why you believe. In which case, it can actually be a good and helpful thing to do. (Another example is reading the Koran or Book of Mormon, or other books of religious teachings to get an understanding of what other people believe in their faiths). Plus you get to have great discussions with people people who have read it about why you don't agree with some/all of it! Just like after the Da Vinci Code came out, it gave great opportunities to explain everything that was wrong about it!!

Now I'm not talking about things that are blantently sacriligious or offensive. But *personally*, I don't feel that God would mind people reading a book that portrays Him as a woman, if it brings people closer to Him and helps them to understand Him and come into a relationship with Him. And again, this book is written as fiction, not fact.

Well, I loved the Twilight series, but I know there was a segment on AFR that called attention to this series as being bad for Christians to read...I didn't hear it my husband did. He is totally against reading anything like this...shun the appearance of all evil. But, he said the segment was about the fastest growing religion in the nation...or world, cant remember...and it is actually Wicka. But anyway the lady who was talking says there is references in this book to the practice of Wicka. I don't know anything about that "religion" but I did not see this book as anything but fiction/fantasy. While I firmly believe that there are evil forces in the world...witches for one...who are controlled by Satan, I don't believe there are vampires...in the sense of the fantasy...having to drink blood of humans to survive. I figure there are some sicko people out there who drink blood for satanic worship or other purpose in the name of religion, but these books are fantasy and I see nothing wrong with them. If you can't tell the difference in real and make believe then you should stay away from them...and a lot of other things...but otherwise I don't think it is bad. My pastor would tell you not to read it because you should "shun the appearance of all evil" and he firmly believes that there is a "bad spirit" involved in horror fillms and the like, but again reading Twilight didn't make me want to run out and kill someone for their blood. So, as with all recommendations it is opinion and we each have to reach our own.

AnnieBee said:
Jennifer, you should read the link I posted, it gives an idea of what the book is about, and where it came from (about the authors life), and includes some of the criticisms of it. I found the article really interesting.

Generally speaking, I don't think there is anything wrong with reading a book that is not 100% "in-line" with what you believe, if it makes you think harder and evaluate what and why you believe. In which case, it can actually be a good and helpful thing to do. (Another example is reading the Koran or Book of Mormon, or other books of religious teachings to get an understanding of what other people believe in their faiths). Plus you get to have great discussions with people people who have read it about why you don't agree with some/all of it! Just like after the Da Vinci Code came out, it gave great opportunities to explain everything that was wrong about it!!

Now I'm not talking about things that are blantently sacriligious or offensive. But *personally*, I don't feel that God would mind people reading a book that portrays Him as a woman, if it brings people closer to Him and helps them to understand Him and come into a relationship with Him. And again, this book is written as fiction, not fact.

Once again, I agree. I often read books that I don't agree with theologically. It helps me to understand others viewpoints, and I'm really not afraid it's going to convince me to believe differently - I'm pretty well grounded in my faith.

ChefBeckyD said:
I have this thing for "cozy" mysteries (it is a genre of mystery writing) because I like feel good stories to read at night.

Diane Mott Davidson has written a series of books about a Caterer - Goldy Schultz - who solves murder mysteries. They are fun, and include all kinds of recipes with each book. http://www.dianemottdavidson.com/books.html

Joanne Fluke has a series about a Bakery Owner - Hannah Swensen - who also solves murder mysteries, These books also contain recipes!

Hannah Swensen Mysteries by Joanne Fluke--Home Page

I love, love, love Hannah Swensen Mysteries. And I am reading my first Diane Mott Davidson book right now. I would add Lillian Jackson Braun's - The Cat Who.....series. I love the small town feel and getting to know all of the people.

Oh and I also like the Fannie Flagg books - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.....and the others too.

pcsharon1 said:
I love, love, love Hannah Swensen Mysteries. And I am reading my first Diane Mott Davidson book right now. I would add Lillian Jackson Braun's - The Cat Who.....series. I love the small town feel and getting to know all of the people.

I love those too!

Hey Becky. Are you done with The Shack? I need it! :)

JAE said:
Hey Becky. Are you done with The Shack? I need it! :)

Haven't started it yet! I'll be reading it next week sometime, after life slows down a little.

I just started The Host. I am only at chapter 4 but it seems a little far fetched...like vampires aren't, lol. But, I am hoping as I get into the story it will be better. I hate to read stuff and not have an interest by the 4th chapter. Hoping it gets better. I'm still waiting on The Shack to arrive. I thought it might be here by today.

What are the best-selling cookbooks?

The best-selling cookbooks recommended by Pampered Chef are "The Essential Cookbook" by Pampered Chef, "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier" by Ree Drummond, "Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat" by Chrissy Teigen, "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" by Ina Garten, and "Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering" by Joanna Gaines.

Are there any healthy cookbooks available?

Yes, there are several healthy cookbooks recommended by Pampered Chef, including "The Healthy Cookbook" by Pampered Chef, "The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor" by Gina Homolka, "Oh She Glows Every Day: Quick and Simply Satisfying Plant-Based Recipes" by Angela Liddon, "The Whole30 Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Totally Compliant Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 and Beyond" by Melissa Hartwig, and "Eat What You Love: Quick & Easy: Great Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories" by Marlene Koch.

Do you have any suggestions for beginner cooks?

Yes, for beginner cooks, Pampered Chef recommends "The Pampered Chef Quick & Easy Cookbook" by Pampered Chef, "How to Cook Everything: The Basics" by Mark Bittman, "Joy of Cooking: 2019 Edition Fully Revised and Updated" by Irma S. Rombauer, "The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook: 650 Recipes for Everything You'll Ever Want to Make" by America's Test Kitchen, and "The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!" by Jessica Seinfeld.

Do you have any cookbooks for specific dietary needs?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers cookbooks for various dietary needs, such as "The Pampered Chef Gluten-Free Cookbook" by Pampered Chef, "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook: 500 Vibrant, Kitchen-Tested Recipes for Living and Eating Well Every Day" by America's Test Kitchen, "The Plant-Based Diet for Beginners: 75 Delicious, Healthy Whole Food Recipes" by Gabriel Miller, "The Paleo Cookbook: 300 Delicious Paleo Diet Recipes" by Rockridge Press, and "The Diabetic Cookbook: 500 Diabetic-Friendly Easy to Cook Recipes for Diabetes Diet" by K.M. Kassi.

Are there any cookbooks with international recipes?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers several cookbooks with international recipes, including "The Pampered Chef International Cookbook" by Pampered Chef, "Jamie Oliver's Food Escapes: Over 100 Recipes from the Great Food Regions of the World" by Jamie Oliver, "The Indian Slow Cooker: 70 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes" by Anupy Singla, "The Complete Asian Cookbook Series: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Burma" by Charmaine Solomon, and "The Essential Middle Eastern Cookbook: Classic Recipes Made Simple" by Tess Mallos.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • nicki25
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • thecougchef