• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Suggestions

In summary, the KitchenAid Artesian is a great mixer, but if you bake a lot, get the professional model. The other suggestions are appreciated, but the most important thing is to find a KitchenAid that is comfortable for you to use.
jenniferknapp
Gold Member
I have already received some mone gifts for Christmas, and although it would be a perfect wedding present to get...I am not even engaged yet! And I realllly want a kitchenaid, and don't want to wait that long. I am living alone now, but love to cook and bake for others. I plan to have a couple of children someday, and I would like to buy something that will last me forever and I won't grow out of.

What are your suggestions for the series, quart size, tilt head or bowl lift, and any attachments that you think are a must have?

Does anyone know of any awesome deals at stores or online right now? Or are there usually a lot of discounts right after the holidays?

I have the bowl lift, which for me is less mess. I have the biggest bowl they carry, because when I use it I cook a lot and don't want to make 2 batches. They last forever, so whatever series you end up with it will last.I bought the biggest bowl because, I knew that that's what I wanted and didn't want to settle. I will not buy a kitchenmaid again. I hope I still like the color in 20 years.:)

I agree with PamperedAlf getting the biggest bowl you can get. I love mine. I got it 2 years ago for Christmas. I love it. It stays on my counter top since it's so heavy. I got a white to match my appliances. I did buy an extra bowl, just because this one old family recipe I have calls to seperate the eggs and beat the egg whites, then fold them in the mixture. It just makes things a lot easier for me with this recipe having 2 bowls. I don't have the bowl lift but I can see that woud be helpful.

I would say any model you buy from Kitchen Aid you will be happy with, and it will last forever.

I"m not married, engaged or anything LOL.... but I too would loooooooooove a Kitchen Aid of my own. I do like the bowl lift feature and will definetely want this when I am in the market to get one. I am hoping in the next 12-18 months to get a house of my own and will DEFINETELY be outfitting my kitchen with all the toys I can dream of! I love to entertain and loooooooooove playing in the kitchen. The Kitchen Aid is a huge priority on my kitchen gotta haves!! LOL

Cheers!!!

I have the KitchenAide Artesian, and I wish I had spent the extra money for the Professional one (the lift-up bowl) My brother and best friend both have that one, and there is such a difference. IF you bake a lot, get the professional one!!! My mixer shakes when I am fixing pizza dough, and kneading bread, and it does not seem as solid as the professional one. It is worth it to spend the extra $$$$$

I have the "ultra power" Kitchen aid that dosen't have the bowl lift and I love it. Dosen't make any difference to me if the bowl lifts or not still does the same kick-butt job.:) LOVE IT

Thanks everyone :) Your suggestions are very much appreciated..so far I think I am going to go for the professional series..and just hope that I get more money for christmas than I have now to help cover the cost!

I made too many christmas cookies this past week with a small hand mixer that smelled like I was going to burn the motor out way too many times!

More suggestions and tips are appreciated!!

jenniferknapp said:
Thanks everyone :) Your suggestions are very much appreciated..so far I think I am going to go for the professional series..and just hope that I get more money for christmas than I have now to help cover the cost!

More suggestions and tips are appreciated!!

Jennifer,

Here's another suggestion. Go to amazon.com and check out the refurbished Kitchen Aid mixers. I have one and purchased one for my mother (who uses hers all the time!)

I found out about this resource from the "Dinner Diva", Leanne Ely who has the savingdinnner.com website. Leanne is a friend of the Fly Lady. At one time Leanne had a list of tools that she felt every kitchen should have (it may still be somewhere on her site but I can't find it offhand) and the refurbished Kitchen Aid was on that list.

My mixer has the bowl lift and, I think, the five quart bowl. The first time my husband used it (he's the baker in our house) he was amazed.

Merry Christmas!

Jeanine

Also check out http://www.kitchencollection.com/ We got our daughters pro series from there and are very happy with it. It is a refurb. They are online but also have stores. We picked hers up at an outlet mall store.

I just got a book by Alton Brown full of suggestions and things to look for in kitchen tools/appliances. He uses a Kitchen Aid, and highly recommends them. He mentions that if you do a lot of yeast breads, you'll want to go with the more powerful motor and larger bowl (the Professional series), but most home cooks don't need to spend the extra.

I have the Classic, which is their base model, but I LOVE it! My MIL gave it to me as a wedding shower gift.

My husband was trying to be sweet and sneaky for Christmas this year, but when he ordered the Kitchenaid for me they shipped it in the original box! They didn't even gift wrap it or put it in a regular brown box. He was so upset! They delivered it while he was at work so he couldn't even hide it, but I'm SOOO excited to use it (except it has to stay under the tree until Christmas lol)

I asked my mom for one of these for Christmas. I am not sure the brand though.

Do they have these at Walmart? That is the one I asked for. It's about $100. About half what we paid for hers last year.

I am on my second in 20 years. It is possible to wear them out!!

I reccommend an extra bowl too, mine is always in the dishwasher.
I use it nearly every day for something. I have soem of the attachment but never use them
you won't be sorry purchasing one. Here's a tip though (unless color matters to you) Wait until after Christmas & shop at Kohl's (or Mervyn's type store) I've walked in after Christmas & seen them mark the RED one down to 75% off just to clear it out of their inventory. IF the color bothers you, you could always cover it with a fabric cover or hide it in an appliance garage.
Teresa

I have a white Prof. Series...says heavy duty on the side. not sure it that matters. It's the big one with the lift up bowl. LOVE IT!!! I store it in my buffet b/c i have a small house and it doesn't fit under the upper cabinet on my counter.

My parents bought a refurbished one at an outlet 8 or 9 years ago. It's still going strong and they use it all the time.

I don't use mine very often so I just have the basic model. The bowl twists in and is stationary. I didn't use it for over a year because I had it in my pantry and had to pull it out to use it. Now I just leave it on my counter. It is another thing I have to have on my counter, but I use it a LOT more when I don't have to lug it out!!

Thanks everyone!! happy holidays...I am going to maybe do a bit of shopping tonight for one...and if I don't find something for a reasonable price, then I will just wait til after christmas and then see what kind of a deal I can find!!

Good luck Jennifer!

I've had mine for many years and I have all the attachments which work great EXCEPT for the ravioli maker. Don't bother - it is too messy and difficult to get just the right amount of filling in for it to seal properly. Raviolis turn out better if you use the pasta attachment to make the pasta sheets and fill them by hand or with a manual mold. The KA mixers are a must have and well worth the investment. Also, invest in a couple of the Kitchen Aid Mixer cookbooks. Amazing stuff!

Artisan SeriesI have the RED Kitchenaid Artisan Series that has these features and accessories:

1. Tilt-head design allows clear access to the beater and bowl.

2. 10-speed slide control ranges from a very fast whip to a very slow stir.

3. 'C' dough hook kneads yeast dough for bread and pizza recipes.

4. Polished Stainless Steel

5. 325 Watts

6. 9 cups flour power

7. Mixing bowl capacity - 5 quarts - with handle

ACCESSORIES:

1. Flat Beater
2. Dough Hook
3. Wire Whip
4. 2 piece pouring sheild with extra wide chute

Kitchenaid has a one year warranty to guarantee everything works. They will replace it for FREE!

I got mine through a special TV offer on the food Network for $299 in monthly installments last year. Plus I got five FREE kitchenaid gadgets (can opener, ice cream scoop, scraper, veggie peeler, and something else.), plus the kitchenaid mixer cookbook, and a free attachment (I picked the ice cream maker).

It was a great deal and I use that mixer almost every other day. I make home made cookies, pizza dough, cakes, cheesecakes, frostings, meringue, etc.....
It's great and it makes my life so much easier. I hope you get a good dleal.

Debbie :D

I absolutly love mine I got mine last yr for Christmas from my momI think I have just the regular one.

I bought the basic model a few years ago in Pink for Cook for a Cure and they donated $50 to cancer research. I love it! I bought mine on special online at Kohl's for $199 - I just got the pink cover and it looks great on my counter!

Noelle Williams
Sales Director
Alabama

I think the one I picked out at Walmart was a Sunbeam. I cannot remember. Guess I will see if my mom gives it to me for Christmas.

noellewilliams said:
I bought the basic model a few years ago in Pink for Cook for a Cure and they donated $50 to cancer research. I love it! I bought mine on special online at Kohl's for $199 - I just got the pink cover and it looks great on my counter!

Noelle Williams
Sales Director
Alabama

Noelle: where are you in Alabama?

I have the basic white model I believe it is 250 watts and have had it for about 7 years now w/no problems. I love it! It was a Christmas present from my husband. I tell everyone all the time it's better then getting diamonds (okay I'm a cooking nut). I have an extra bowl as well. I purchased the one w/the handle for my extra. I would like to upgrade mine to the larger professional, but probably won't do that until one of my daughters get married. I figured then I can pass this one down to them.

As far as pricing, check out QVC. They always have great pricing on them. They also have "easy pay" which allows you to pay for it in 4-5 monthly installments. I'm not sure if they have that deal on-line all the time or not, but you can get a schedule of when they have cooking products on air. They always have "Bob in the Kitchen" on Sunday mornings.

If there's a Lowes home improvement store near you, they frequently run "same as cash" finanacing on large purchases.
Or you can pick one up at Kohl's department store. When you open a Kohl's charge, you get 10% off your purchase - including sale prices. And they're always having sales.

I got my Artisan at either Linens and Things or Bed Bath and Beyond (I can't remember). Anyway, they price matched an ad, then I used one of thier coupons, so I got a smokin deal!

Somebody mentioned that theirs bounced around while doing pizza dough. Mine does that too when I make royal icing - the trick is to not lock the tilt up head when you are doing heavy things - then it won't bounce around so much since the head is able to lift itself up.

I have the professional one- I got it a year ago at Kohls- "night owls" shopping weekend. Plus 15% off--

I love it!!!!

Happy Holidays!!!
Karla

I got mine at Kohl's for x-mas last year on sale 15% off, and then we opened an account and received an additional 10% off which was great. Their original price was $499. Well worth the money, because I will have it forever...... Unless I become some big wig PC Dir. and move into a mansion and need to change my color scheme. Oh I am dreaming, but don't wake me up!

pamperedalf said:
I got mine at Kohl's for x-mas last year on sale 15% off, and then we opened an account and received an additional 10% off which was great. Their original price was $499. Well worth the money, because I will have it forever...... Unless I become some big wig PC Dir. and move into a mansion and need to change my color scheme. Oh I am dreaming, but don't wake me up!
If you get enough money for your new mansion I am sure that you can afford to have the color refinished to match!! Dream BIG here Amanda, LOL!!

I always dream big...... Now I need to get my butt motivated. I am slowly getting motivated so we will see what happens this year.

I am sure that you'll get motivated at Leadership!

erica177311 said:
My husband was trying to be sweet and sneaky for Christmas this year, but when he ordered the Kitchenaid for me they shipped it in the original box! They didn't even gift wrap it or put it in a regular brown box. He was so upset! They delivered it while he was at work so he couldn't even hide it, but I'm SOOO excited to use it (except it has to stay under the tree until Christmas lol)
WOW! Are YOU gonna be surprised Christmas morning! :)

Okay something that I haven't seen yet in this thread, but ALWAYS mention in my shows.
I have the artisan series it's gunmetal grey. Love it! Tilt head model. The Pampered Chef Stainless Steel mixing bowls will stay in that grove and you can use them instead ( or in addition too) your Kitchen Aid bowl!!!
It works for just about everything except heavy bread. It does work for pizza dough.
I am a food geek and love my stand mixer and have found that I can do up a couple of different things using the PC Bowls and get more done.
The PC bowls do not work with the bowl lift style.
There's a tip for ya!

Koolotus said:
The PC bowls do not work with the bowl lift style.
I know! That's the one thing I don't like about my kitchen-aid mixer.

I do have to say though. I don't use it much. The PC tools work for most everything so I don't find myself reaching for it as much as I thought I would.

My husband broke his "no house stuff" rule and bought me one for Xmas. I got a red professional series model. It was $299 from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but he actually remembered we had a 20% of coupon- you might look into that- it saved $60!

leannvv said:
My husband broke his "no house stuff" rule and bought me one for Xmas. I got a red professional series model. It was $299 from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but he actually remembered we had a 20% of coupon- you might look into that- it saved $60!

We have a "no appliances" rule as well. BUT if I really want it and it's kind of just a luxury, I'm okay with it. I got a breadmaker this year that just about does everything (including makes JAM!!) and everyone thought I'd be mad, but I was thrilled! I totally asked for it and even gave DH my account info on Amazon.com so he could get the free 2-day shipping.

I have the basic 275-watt KA as well (tilt-head), but I'm looking to upgrade to a Professional 600 watt, 6-quart or the DeLonghi 975 watt model, 7-quart (can you say "power tool?"). I like the lift-up bowl feature better and the smaller motor can't handle all my double batches of cakes!

Just my 2¢. Not worth much more than that!!

Let us know what you get!!

Okay, thanks everyone....and I bought one today :) After a lot of shopping around, and seeing my SIL's Artisan that she got for christmas, I decided to go with the 6 Qt. Professional 600....and I did it through Amazon, with the code "HOHOSAVE" ...which saved me $25.....plus free shipping....plus no tax...so my grand total is $318! I think that is a great deal... and, I did it so soon, because kitchenaid.com is offering a $50 rebate on Pro 600's purchased before 12/31... and I would have gone to Bed, Bath & beyond to use my 20% off coupon, but the KA $50 wasn't available for purchases at lowe's and B,B&B. The KA rebate also says "not available through online auction sites" ...I am just hoping that Amazon.com isn't considered an auction site. So, I will be receiving my new kitchenaid pro 600 in Nickel Pearl for $318 (hopefully for $268 after the rebate) with an ETA of Jan 9-15 :) thanks again!!!

Sorry if this is TMI, but I have to tell you, when I left my ex-husband almost 10 years ago, there were three things that went first: 1) My mixer 2) My fabulous 10 piece luggage set 3) and the stoneware I had shipped from England. I still have all of it and my mixer works great! I make THE BEST whipped potatoes in it!

What food do you make with your KitchenAid?
AJPratt said:
Sorry if this is TMI, but I have to tell you, when I left my ex-husband almost 10 years ago, there were three things that went first: 1) My mixer 2) My fabulous 10 piece luggage set 3) and the stoneware I had shipped from England. I still have all of it and my mixer works great! I make THE BEST whipped potatoes in it!

My potatoes are always lumpy:( ...... I guess I am adding too many potatoes. I tried less and they still seemed to be lumpy:confused: . Any suggestions?

And while on the subject of what we use our KitchenAid for.... what besides breads, cookies, cakes, and potatoes do you use it for.....

I used mine for cheeseballs the other day. And for making peanut butter candy (similar to buckeye candy).

Thanks, Tina

Tina: You might have to cook them longer, so they are more mushy. I usually cut the potatoes into quarters or eights, depending on the size. I boil them for about 20 minutes or until the backside of a butter knife will cut into them. Then, I add a stick of butter and maybe a half cup of milk. I just eyeball the milk. Oh, and I leavethe skins on. Better for you that way and easier for me!

I also use mine to make an awesome fruit dip (1 container of fluff and one block of cream cheese). Let the cream cheese block soften.

I don't have one, but a friend of mine does and I borrowed it with the juicer attachment to make applesause. It was awesome! If you have a family like mine who loves applesause, I would invest in the attachement. I would love to have the KA mixer, but I don't use it enough to make the investment!

Anyone think the cost could be tax-deductable? Just curious. we do spend a lot of time in the kitchen prepping recipes (wipe sweat from brow) and this could make it easier?!?!?!? This is my 1st year w/ PC, so I am not sure!

I saw the Artisan version on sale at Sears today but I do not remember for how much. I think it was about $50 off.

Kitchenaid Stand Mixers...
jenniferknapp said:
I have already received some mone gifts for Christmas, and although it would be a perfect wedding present to get...I am not even engaged yet! And I realllly want a kitchenaid, and don't want to wait that long. I am living alone now, but love to cook and bake for others. I plan to have a couple of children someday, and I would like to buy something that will last me forever and I won't grow out of.

Does anyone know of any awesome deals at stores or online right now? Or are there usually a lot of discounts right after the holidays?

Hi Jen:

I was looking to purchase the Artesian for myself, then my Mom stated she bought me the one I wanted for my Christmas/Bday present. She said I should get the splash shield, but she didn't get it, instead she got me the meat grinder attachement, then I saw she didn't get the Artesian but the
4 1/2 quart size with the smaller motor :( I'm still happy I got it though, even though I"ve read where not much bread can knead in the smaller one, it's the same as hers and hers is way over 20 yrs and still going strong. She's big on refurbished as well and I sure hope mine isn't as I've had many problems in the past with refurbs. of any item/brand in the past :(

She bought mine on Amazon.com but I"ve seen them on sale most everywhere. I was even bidding on EBAY for brand new ones and they've really come down in price too.

Good Luck!

Liz

ps: I'm single, (thought I would've been married and kids by now, but not :()
So buy it for yourself/your friends, etc and enjoy it!!! I'm sure you'll get married and have kids in the future!!!! I"m trying to give up as when you give up it seems to happen, but I"m not sure on that now :(

What are your suggestions for the series, quart size, tilt head or bowl lift, and any attachments that you think are a must have?

I guess I still live in the dark ages and can't give any advice on the Kithcen Aid. I have an Oster Kitchen Center that works wonders. I have all the attachments (shredder, slicer, food processor, ice cream maker, blender, etc). It was a requested gift by/to me from my DH years ago. I had to assure him that it was okay to buy me an appliance as long as I requested it. LOL! I did think of the KA but my Oster is about a third of the weight and already had all of the accessories with it. I do make double batches without overload problems.
Valky

LOVE LUMPY POTATOES...c below please
genburk said:
My potatoes are always lumpy:( ...... I guess I am adding too many potatoes. I tried less and they still seemed to be lumpy:confused: . Any suggestions?

And while on the subject of what we use our KitchenAid for.... what besides breads, cookies, cakes, and potatoes do you use it for.....

I used mine for cheeseballs the other day. And for making peanut butter candy (similar to buckeye candy).

Thanks, Tina

I really dislike instant potatoes, so when they're lumpy I KNOW they're home made!!!

I ALSO SAW A BOOK called, I think the bible for the Kitcheaid mixer or something like that, thru Amazon.com and it's around 10-13. I'm definately ordering it as people have raved about it and were given ideas for their mixer that they wouldn't have even thought of!!!

I think the books is called the Mixer Bible, over 300 recipes. I just looked @ it, and it's closer to $ 15.00 but seems well worth it!!!

Good Luck.

Last edited:
lizcooks4u said:
ps: I'm single, (thought I would've been married and kids by now, but not :()
So buy it for yourself/your friends, etc and enjoy it!!! I'm sure you'll get married and have kids in the future!!!! I"m trying to give up as when you give up it seems to happen, but I"m not sure on that now :(

Hi Liz! Thank you for all of your comments! I am not sure if you saw my earlier post or not, but I did buy one through Amazon.com. I got the Professional 600 for cheaper than most Artisan's that you can buy in the store! I am hoping that KA doesn't consider amazon an auction site, so that I can get a $50 rebate from them..and then it will bring my total down to 268 with tax and shipping!! I would definately have gone with a smaller one if the price wasn't so great....I would never have spent 469 on one!

As for getting married someday, don't give up! I am young, but I think that I have a good head on my shoulders, and I am pretty mature. Anyway, you shouldn't give up....you should simply not make looking your #1 priority! Keep yourself busy in so many other ways, get involved, (the best way to meet new people is through your friends) and when you aren't expecting it...you will find him! No one thought that my uncle was going to get married....the oldest of 8 kids, esp after the other 7 were married and most had kids...well last year he met the most wonderful woman and now they go ballroom dancing, fly fishing, skiing and all sorts of things....she is the nicest woman in the world! Good luck, and never give up hope...and don't think of yourself as a failure, other people may be able to sense it... just like a wild animal can sense fear... you need to stay thinking positive and feel good about yourself and say yep, I have a lot to offer someone, and I won't settle! :)

Update: I love free amazon shipping and UPS!! My delivery status is "on-time" for a delivery date of Tuesday (Jan 2) ...soo much better than my anticpated date of Jan 9-15!! Now what to make with it since all of my double batch baking with a hand mixer is over from the holidays...hmmm...and thanks again for all of your help :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ginamkiely
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • WLMcCoy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy