• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Kitchen Remodel Plan: Ideas & Suggestions

In summary, Ann plans to have bamboo floors, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances in her kitchen remodel. She is also considering tile or stainless steel backsplashes.
I want a new house!!! Our house is actually about 3 houses that were moved in over time and joined together...before we bought it. We have since added a room. We also spent a lot of money remodeling...knocked out 2 or 3 walls, installed all new windows, beautiful new cabinets, and new doors. But, this year it was so dry that our house shifted again and the sheet rock cracked in every room, the new tile in the bathroom cracked, the new doors don't latch correctly, and my upper kitchen cabinets seem to have shifted...it is of course the wall and not the cabinets. My kitchen floor is now unlevel again. I loved everything we did to make the house better, but in the end it seems like we wasted money. Now we are discussing building a new home. I had my cabinets built, but as soon as they were hung I began to wish I had done some things diffently. My husband wants to build the house around the living room and I want to build the house around the kitchen. I want lots of cabinets...you can never have too many...a big double oven, stainless steel appliances, a seperate ice machine, and I think I want the refrigerator to be freezer on the bottom...not 100% sure on that one. I want to have an island/bar in the center of the kitchen that has storage, a sink, and a seating area. I know I need lots of closet space in the bedrooms...we currently have none. I don't want a fancy home, I just want it to be functional for my family.

I am so happy you are getting your new kitchen.

Thanks, Shawnna.

We're going Saturday to purchase appliances. Sears is having a sale, plus SS rebates on some appliances (to bring them down to the cost of std colors), plus rebates for multiple appliance purchase. DH stopped in yesterday to check out the models we saw in the circular and chat with the salespeople a little more. Apparently, you can buy appliances from Sears and have them delay delivery for MONTHS - so we don't even have to store them at home until we're ready for them! I would have never guessed that stores still did that. It sounds like a service from decades ago.

Getting a lot done today, are we?:D

um... . . . no

I did manage to offend someone over at the IKEAfans forum with a comment about quartz vs. "real" granite. :grumpy: But I apologized, so we're OK now.

Well, I'll be hornswoggled. I just always took it for granite that only milk and oil comes in quartz.

<giggle> You can also serve milk ON quartz.

chefann said:
Thanks, Shawnna.

We're going Saturday to purchase appliances. Sears is having a sale, plus SS rebates on some appliances (to bring them down to the cost of std colors), plus rebates for multiple appliance purchase. DH stopped in yesterday to check out the models we saw in the circular and chat with the salespeople a little more. Apparently, you can buy appliances from Sears and have them delay delivery for MONTHS - so we don't even have to store them at home until we're ready for them! I would have never guessed that stores still did that. It sounds like a service from decades ago.

We have all of our appliances from Sears, I love their delivery options, no work for me! Plus when we did ours, they had a rebate for free delivery. We even got a Saturday delivery for normal price because that was the day it was scheduled anyway.

wadesgirl said:
We have all of our appliances from Sears, I love their delivery options, no work for me! Plus when we did ours, they had a rebate for free delivery. We even got a Saturday delivery for normal price because that was the day it was scheduled anyway.
The offer right now is free financing until 2009 or free delivery. We're going to take the financing, and worry about the delivery in 6 months, when we can install them.

Today we purchased appliances!!

They're all matching Kenmore Elite - so the handles and stainless all match, which is nice.
36" 5-burner gas http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02233233000P?filter=Brand%7CKenmore+Elite%5EPower+Source%7CGas%5EColor+Family%7CStainless+Steel%5EApprox.+Width%7C36+in.%2C+including+36+in.+Narrow+Depth&vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Cooktops
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02247913000P?filter=Brand%7CKenmore+Elite%5EColor+Family%7CStainless+Steel%5EApprox.+Width%7C30+in.&vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Wall+Ovens
microwave/vent fan
dishwasher
Trio fridge

Phew!

The dishwasher is panelless - all the buttons are on the top surface of the door. So the whole front is a smooth panel of SS with a handle. Very sleek. And the microwave has a turntable (I've never had one with a turntable!) that also has a "glide" function. The tray moves back and forth instead of just turning, so if you have a large rectangular dish in there, it doesn't bump against the walls trying to turn.

So you can play old vinyl albums when you're microwaving?

Yes. Yes, I can.:D

Ann, I am drooling again, your kitchen will be done sooner than you think.At least that's what I tell myself when I get anxious for anything. Congrats on the beautiful new ss appliances.

At least the rest of the appliances all match the dishwasher.

We're not picking them up from the store until June 7 or later. :rolleyes: LOTS of time yet before we're ready for them.We also attended a kitchen installation class at the local IKEA. The presenter flitted around from topic to topic, when it would have been better to discuss things in the order of installation, but we could tell he was very knowledgable.

I'm not going to dignify that with an answer, KG.

That's good, because then you'd have to explain it.:D

ooohhh..... I want my appliances now!!! :cry:

Ann, I was at Ikea today. Their kitchens are BEAUTIFUL. I'm so jealous. :)

chefann said:
Today we purchased appliances!!

They're all matching Kenmore Elite - so the handles and stainless all match, which is nice.
36" 5-burner gas http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02233233000P?filter=Brand%7CKenmore+Elite%5EPower+Source%7CGas%5EColor+Family%7CStainless+Steel%5EApprox.+Width%7C36+in.%2C+including+36+in.+Narrow+Depth&vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Cooktops
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02247913000P?filter=Brand%7CKenmore+Elite%5EColor+Family%7CStainless+Steel%5EApprox.+Width%7C30+in.&vName=Appliances&cName=Cooktops%2C+Ranges+%26+Ovens&sName=Wall+Ovens
microwave/vent fan
dishwasher
Trio fridge

Phew!

The dishwasher is panelless - all the buttons are on the top surface of the door. So the whole front is a smooth panel of SS with a handle. Very sleek. And the microwave has a turntable (I've never had one with a turntable!) that also has a "glide" function. The tray moves back and forth instead of just turning, so if you have a large rectangular dish in there, it doesn't bump against the walls trying to turn.

I bet you made some salesperson really HAPPY today. I used to work at Sears and all the appliance people worked on commission. If they still work on commission then he or she is probably jumping for joy!!!

Two salespeople - one from the "fridges and laundry" side of the aisle, and one for the other kitchen stuff.

I have a microwave with a "glider" inside. Haven't seen anyone else with one yet, so welcome to my club, Ann. Now it can be our club.

No, they don't microwave Sliders, they grill them.
150px-White_Castle_logo.svg.png

Giggle.JAE, my SD has one. She just replaced her microwave and was showing it off at our meeting Friday night. I mentioned it Saturday morning to DH, and he said, "The one I saw at Sears has that." :)

Now there's three of us in the club.

Well, now I can't buy one of those."I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member."
--Groucho Marx

Come on, KG. Join us!

One of us, one of us... :D

Very funny , KG. You think of everything.

Update:
DH says the kitchen is on hold until I get a real job. :yuck: However, we still have the cabinets in the basement and the appliances on order, so it will happen eventually.Yesterday, our Ikea card bill came and there was a HUGE mistake on it! When we purchased the cabinets, the store was running a 24 months financing offer, which we decided to take advantage of. The bills have had a monthly payment amount due of 1/24 of the total charged. Great. Until the bill that arrived yesterday. It showed 1/24 due, but it also had $180 in finance charges added to it, with a comment that the total had been due by April 4 for free financing. Problem- it didn't include that due date on ANY of the previous bills! And obviously, the 24 month special didn't get processed correctly, so it defaulted to their standard 90-day free financing offer for large purchases. DH was on the phone within seconds of seeing the finance charge on the bill. And was he steaming! Which only got worse once he got through to a rep. The Ikea card call center is not in this country. (Guess where it is.) The woman on the other end of the line (who sounded like Mandula from The Simpsons) kept saying, "I'm sorry you have this problem." and told him that she'd pass the info to their investigation department and we'd have an answer (not necessarily a resolution) about it in 20 days. 20 days! That's into the next billing cycle! When DH got the runaround about that being unacceptable, he finally demanded to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor sounded like he was in the US. (phew!) He had to check to see what offers were available when we bought, and did verify that there was a 24-month. Unfortunately, there's no way to check the account online to make sure that the finance charge is reversed. So DH is going to call in 2 weeks (that's how long they said it would take to process the reversal).

My appliances will be here in 10 minutes!! Of course, they're going into the garage instead of the kitchen, but it's a start. We might install the dishwasher right away because our current one has been acting up.

How exciting! I just skimmed through this thread for the first time. Have you started the remodel yet?

chefann said:
My appliances will be here in 10 minutes!! Of course, they're going into the garage instead of the kitchen, but it's a start. We might install the dishwasher right away because our current one has been acting up.
Your other half has a nicer kitchen in his garage than I have in my house - and that's BEFORE your new appliances arrive.

No, we haven't started anything yet. KG- that's part of the reason I'm still ticked about the kitchen being put on the back burner (no pun intended). We spent probably $50k on that darn garage and I'm not allowed to get my kitchen? I have stocks to cover most of the cost (only most because I'll be hit with penalties if I cash in some of them). And since we're making payments on the cabinets and appliances, it makes no sense to let them sit. Whatever. I'm not mentioning it to DH because he'll get all cranky (not the word I want to use, but this is a family site) about me not carrying my weight around here.

Ha! That's a good one, but the word I was thinking of starts with a P and ends in issy. I'd love to bring the new microwave in and play with it. I've never had one with a turntable before. But I still like our retro micro (it's 31 years old).

Just start using your new appliances in random places around the house - micro in bedroom, refrigerator in living room - and tell DH that you are doing you part to conserve the $$ you do have by using the new "energy efficient" appliances NOW. Since you can't put them in the kitchen yet, you put them where ever they would fit.

Giggle. Unfortunately, those would be the only 2 that can be used in other rooms. The dishwasher will probably be installed this weekend; but there's no place for the double wall oven or the cooktop (it's gas, and we only have a gas line in the basement right now).And of course I saw a commercial last week for a fridge I'd rather have instead of the one we got. It's basically the same, but has 2 drawers for the freezer instead of 1, so you don't have to dig as much.

Is it a bottom freezer? I have one that has a big drawer (with a divider) and a separate pull-out basket... I LOVE IT!!!! And being fairly short, it makes it soooo much easier to actually USE the items I put in the freezer instead of finding them years later!

Yep! With the French doors - 2 doors into the fridge section. It's stainless, as are all the other appliances. They're pretty. ;)

Forgot to mention- we MIGHT get to start the kitchen soon. I have an interview at Trader Joe's tomorrow morning. :D Which is dangerous, anyway. I may not bring home much paycheck after buying things (the same thing would happen if I worked at a craft or book store).

Another cheffer with an interview!!! Yippee! What time? Of course, you'll let us know right away how it goes, right???

It's at 10:00. Of course, I'll let everyone know. duh... (but I mean that in the nicest way)And I have haircolor on right now to hide my greys so I look a little more employable. ;)

Last edited:
Good luck Ann!!!!! :)

chefann said:
It's at 10:00. Of course, I'll let everyone know. duh... (but I mean that in the nicest way)

And I have haircolor on right now to hide my greys so I look a little more employable. ;)
I wish I had more grey hair.

I'm sure you wish you had more hair of any color. ;)

chefann said:
Yep! With the French doors - 2 doors into the fridge section. It's stainless, as are all the other appliances. They're pretty. ;)
My DH and I are hopefully going to be building our dream house soon (if we could just get our current house to sell), and that is the refrigerator I want desperately. I told my DH he got to pick the last one so now it's my turn. We will see how that turns out.

Get the new LG - it's French doors on the top (fridge), and 2-drawer freezer, so neither drawer is really deep. It also has a tall water dispenser area, so you can fit a pitcher in it.

<H2>1. What is the layout for your kitchen remodel plan?</H2><p>The layout for my kitchen remodel plan is shown on the overhead schematic on page 5. The first 4 pages show different views of each wall's cabinets.</p><H2>2. How many cabinets will you have after the remodel?</H2><p>After the remodel, I will have significantly more cabinets than I currently have. I plan to extend the cabinets to the left by closing in part of a window. </p><H2>3. What type of flooring will you be installing?</H2><p>The flooring for my kitchen remodel will be bamboo, installed on a diagonal to add a sense of motion to the room. </p><H2>4. What color will your cabinets be?</H2><p>The cabinets will be a medium brown color from Ikea, specifically the Adel fronts. </p><H2>5. What materials will you be using for your countertops and backsplashes?</H2><p>I plan to have granite countertops installed, though I am still deciding on a specific color. As for the backsplashes, I am considering either tile or stainless steel, but have not made a final decision yet. </p>

Related to Kitchen Remodel Plan: Ideas & Suggestions

1. What is the layout for your kitchen remodel plan?

The layout for my kitchen remodel plan is shown on the overhead schematic on page 5. The first 4 pages show different views of each wall's cabinets.

2. How many cabinets will you have after the remodel?

After the remodel, I will have significantly more cabinets than I currently have. I plan to extend the cabinets to the left by closing in part of a window.

3. What type of flooring will you be installing?

The flooring for my kitchen remodel will be bamboo, installed on a diagonal to add a sense of motion to the room.

4. What color will your cabinets be?

The cabinets will be a medium brown color from Ikea, specifically the Adel fronts.

5. What materials will you be using for your countertops and backsplashes?

I plan to have granite countertops installed, though I am still deciding on a specific color. As for the backsplashes, I am considering either tile or stainless steel, but have not made a final decision yet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • newmexgirl
  • Pampered Chef Flyers
Replies
Views
PamperedK
Replies
Views
GourmetGirl