• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Living with Labyrinthitis: My Experience So Far

In summary, the individual asking for advice has been diagnosed with Labyrinthitis and is experiencing recurring dizziness. They are concerned about the condition affecting their upcoming conference and are seeking tips on coping with the symptoms. Others in the conversation offer suggestions such as taking medication, staying hydrated, avoiding sudden movements, and using peppermint oil or ginger for nausea. The individual also shares their experience of being scared and seeking medical attention for the symptoms.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Anyone have any experience with Labyrinthitis?

I was diagnosed with it last week and told it could last from a few days up to a few months. I have been getting progressively better until about a half hour ago when I was goofing around with my son and got a bad case of the dizzies again.

I am SO scared it will still be affecting me come conference and flying will be a nightmare and I won't be myself for NC.

I did a show on Saturday - I had to have my Dad come with me because I am not allowed to drive...he has been to tons of my shows over the years (he was my very first recruit, too!) and he even noticed I just wansn't "on" like I usually am at my shows. I was off balance and slow and not my zippy peppy self.

I am SO scared I won't be 100% for NC.

I have no information for you, and can slightly related because I've had vertigo before. I've said a prayer for you, and offer you a cyber hug ....

carolyn sorry never heard of it but doesnt sound like alot of fun either getting cases of the dizzies.
hopefully you will be better by conference :)
if your not 100% just make sure u have a buddy with u at all times :)
take care of yourself

Carolyn - never had that severe of a diagnosis, but I had the flu last year that caused an odd case of vertigo for months and other heart-related symptoms.

Some things that I can suggest:

1. If it is bad, take some Bonine or Dramamine when you have to do more activities - warning, it can make you drowsy.

2. Stay hydrated and get as much sleep as possible.

3. Avoid sudden movements - twists, turns, movements while opening or closing eyes. When getting up, fix your vision on one object like a door knob or picture, then make your movement. Movements of your eyes in a different direction than your body will make symptoms worse.

4. While riding in a vehicle, stay focused on your route ahead not to the side or objects in the car. Your eyes and mind knowing where you are headed will minimize the "confusion" of your inner ear.

5. If you have to pick something up...squat, don't bend. Try to keep your head upright.

6. Remember some of the reactions of your body will be delayed depending on how the infection, etc. is healing...ex: you may bend to pick something up and feel fine then 1-2 minutes later the affects hit.

...hope that helps you a little bit...

Oh, and also Peppermint oil or ginger can help a little of you are experiencing any nausea or motion sickness too.

Last edited:
MomToEli said:
I have no information for you, and can slightly related because I've had vertigo before. I've said a prayer for you, and offer you a cyber hug ....

Thanks Sandy.
If you don't mind me asking - how did you cope with it? How long did it last?
My first two nights were unbearable - I woke up feeling like my whole world was violently spining out of control - like being on the Teacups ride at warp speed. I was gasping and grabbing for my husband - I scared the crap out of him about 9x that night. Poor guy. I had never EVER in my life experienced anything like it and by 4am was crying and begging him to take me to the ER. Of course then when he said OK, let's get the kids up and go to the ER I freaked cuz I didn't want to upset the kids. He got me to my primary care doc who gave me Meclazine (essentially it's just Dramamine) - -- during the day I've been much better and I finaly got a few decent nights' sleep...but MAN - this is just horrid.

heather9892 said:
carolyn sorry never heard of it but doesnt sound like alot of fun either getting cases of the dizzies.
hopefully you will be better by conference :)
if your not 100% just make sure u have a buddy with u at all times :)
take care of yourself

Thanks Heather :)

janetupnorth said:
Carolyn - never had that severe of a diagnosis, but I had the flu last year that caused an odd case of vertigo for months and other heart-related symptoms.

Some things that I can suggest:

1. If it is bad, take some Bonine or Dramamine when you have to do more activities - warning, it can make you drowsy.

2. Stay hydrated and get as much sleep as possible.

3. Avoid sudden movements - twists, turns, movements while opening or closing eyes. When getting up, fix your vision on one object like a door knob or picture, then make your movement. Movements of your eyes in a different direction that your body will make symptoms worse.

4. While riding in a vehicle, stay focused on your route ahead not to the side or objects in the car. Your eyes and mind knowing where you are headed will minimize the "confusion" of your inner ear.

5. If you have to pick something up...squat, don't bend. Try to keep your head upright.

6. Remember some of the reactions of your body will be delayed depending on how the infection, etc. is healing...ex: you may bend to pick something up and feel fine then 1-2 minutes later the affects hit.

...hope that helps you a little bit...

Oh, and also Peppermint oil or ginger can help a little of you are experiencing any nausea or motion sickness too.

Oooooh - #s 3, 4, 5 and 6 are GREAT tips that I had not yet heard. Thank you!
I am finding my depth perception has been off. That made it hard to do my cooking show on Saturday - I was struggling quite a bit but my Dad said nobody noticed by me. Like - I'll reach for something thinking my hand is about to grab it...and I am still an inch or two away from it...it's a freaky feeling - quite frightening.
I had a REALLY great day today - felt almost normal all day...til I was goofing around wiht my son :( Dumb mommy...too much too soon.

dannyzmom said:
Oooooh - #s 3, 4, 5 and 6 are GREAT tips that I had not yet heard. Thank you!
I am finding my depth perception has been off. That made it hard to do my cooking show on Saturday - I was struggling quite a bit but my Dad said nobody noticed by me. Like - I'll reach for something thinking my hand is about to grab it...and I am still an inch or two away from it...it's a freaky feeling - quite frightening.
I had a REALLY great day today - felt almost normal all day...til I was goofing around wiht my son :( Dumb mommy...too much too soon.

You're welcome - it make take some conscious effort to do them because when you feel a little better, you tend to want to "be normal".

The depth perception being off is a tough thing. Maybe if you do another show, you can make sure to keep most things in your TTA or in a bowl. That way you can use your sense of touch rather than sight to grab them. Keep talking and reach for the TTA without looking and feel for them more than looking and grabbing. Or if sitting in a bowl, you can grab the edge to get your orientation then reach inside.

Hopefully though, you'll get over the infection or respiratory illness that caused all the mess and be over this soon!

janetupnorth said:
You're welcome - it make take some conscious effort to do them because when you feel a little better, you tend to want to "be normal".

The depth perception being off is a tough thing. Maybe if you do another show, you can make sure to keep most things in your TTA or in a bowl. That way you can use your sense of touch rather than sight to grab them. Keep talking and reach for the TTA without looking and feel for them more than looking and grabbing. Or if sitting in a bowl, you can grab the edge to get your orientation then reach inside.

Hopefully though, you'll get over the infection or respiratory illness that caused all the mess and be over this soon!

Well...as much as I want to be normal...even without Labyrinthitis, it's a stretch for me - LOL

Yesterday we decided to go to the mall and just stroll. I took a Meclazine pill before we went...and I did well. Every so often something would set me into a little -- very little -- episode of dizziesl DH felt bad for me & bought me a new pair of crocs :D Now I have my pink ones with my chef hat and whisk jibbitz and a new tan pair with the heart/mom jibbitz...it aint so bad being sick LOL

I wonder if this is all fallout from the double cases of Bronchitis I had the last few monhths?

As for depth perception & shows...I have no shows til the 29th and 30th...so I get almost 2 weeks of rest - thankfully.

Get yourself one of those little self-powered wheely carts for NC - you'll be first in line for all the meals and people will get out of your way to let you pass. ;)Just think if you won the shopping spree at HO - no one could keep up with you! You'd have your own FedUp truck at home!

dannyzmom said:
I wonder if this is all fallout from the double cases of Bronchitis I had the last few monhths?

I did a search on labyrinthitis, and it did say it's commonly caused by a virus that would have originated as an URI, so you're probably on to something.

I hope you're feeling better really soon!

Carolyn, you're in my prayers.

That sounds awful! I hope you feel better quickly.And out of concern, I'll refrain from the obvious "dizzy crazy lady" jokes.

Carolyn,
That really stinks!!! Sucks is more like it. I bet you'll be feeling better by conference. I hope each day gets better. Just don't over-do it!!:) Good luck and I hope you bounce back to your "old" self very soon!!

Oh my goodness! Well, at least you know what it is and that you can treat it. The worst thing is not knowing.

pamperedbecky said:
Carolyn,
That really stinks!!! Sucks is more like it. I bet you'll be feeling better by conference. I hope each day gets better. Just don't over-do it!!:) Good luck and I hope you bounce back to your "old" self very soon!!

Yeah, it does suck. The really frustrating part for me is not being able to drive. I feel so TRAPPED. Thankfully my DH is home til noon most days so he can shuttle us around...but afternoons, we go stir crazy. This afternoon we're going out with the neighbors so that should be nice :)

dannyzmom said:
Yeah, it does suck. The really frustrating part for me is not being able to drive. I feel so TRAPPED. Thankfully my DH is home til noon most days so he can shuttle us around...but afternoons, we go stir crazy. This afternoon we're going out with the neighbors so that should be nice :)
Carolyn-

I have problems with my inner ears and I wear hearing heads in both ears. I am 70% deaf in my left ear and 50% in my right. Anyway I also have tinitus, which is a constant ringing in the ear (very annoying but you tune it out after a while). I hade a stapodectomy which is inner ear surgery in 1991. They said that it is common to get "positional vertigo" after having that surgery. The first time I got it I was in the hospital having a cat scan due to a sinus infection that wouldn't quit, and when I went to get up I walked right into the wall and the whole room just spun. I couldn't get a grip. I sat for a bit and thank god my mom was with me so she drove home. I got in the car and had to close my eyes the whole way. I went to get out of the car in my parents driveway thinking I might feel better and ended up almost falling over and proceeded to get sick all over the driveway. Sorry for the visual.
It happened a second time when I went to the salon to get my hair cut. When I leaned back into the sink, it happened again. Not so severe, but I had to sit in my car for a long time before driving home.
Anyway, what Janet said about focusing on an object is true. Don't keep your eyes closed it will make it worse. It feels exactly like when you have the spins from drinking too much except you didn't :(
Fortunately I figured out the position that makes me sick and dizzy. I avoid it.
I won't even get my hair washed at the salon now. I tell them to spray it down or I will go in with no product in it right after I have washed it. I hope you figure out how to handle it and I hope it goes away. It is a terrible thing to deal with. (((HUGS))) Sorry this is so long.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

I can definitely relate. I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which is where you have spells of vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. They come and go for a while, then disappear. Luckily, it's never happened while driving, but I still try to avoid driving if I've had a spell that day. They also gave me a prescription for Meclizine, but it makes me so sleepy!

Has your doctor recommended any at-home exercises to try to ease the dizziness, such as Brandt-Daroff Exercises?

ahammons said:

I can definitely relate. I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which is where you have spells of vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. They come and go for a while, then disappear. Luckily, it's never happened while driving, but I still try to avoid driving if I've had a spell that day. They also gave me a prescription for Meclizine, but it makes me so sleepy!

Has your doctor recommended any at-home exercises to try to ease the dizziness, such as Brandt-Daroff Exercises?

My doc said nothing about he exercises but I did read about them online and may try them if things start spinning again.
BTW - prescription Meclazine is exactly the same as OTC Bonine which is much cheaper - it's EXACTLY the same - my pharmacist told me...saved me a ton of $$

ahammons said:

My doc did recommend these excercise but I won't do them because they make me sick.:(

dannyzmom said:
BTW - prescription Meclazine is exactly the same as OTC Bonine which is much cheaper - it's EXACTLY the same - my pharmacist told me...saved me a ton of $$

Luckily, I don't have to pay for it b/c my DH is active duty, so we have Tricare.

Last edited:
chefkristin said:
My doc did recommend these excercise but I won't do them because they make me sick.:(

I'm supposed to try them, but never seem to find the time. I haven't had any spells for a few weeks though.

ahammons said:
I'm supposed to try them, but never seem to find the time. I haven't had any spells for a few weeks though.
What are you supposed to do?

Carolyn - doing any better today?

janetupnorth said:
Carolyn - doing any better today?

Thanks for asking Janet. I am better and better each day...and then just as I say to DH that I think I am ready to start driving again, I get a VERY VERY mild dizzy moment and he says NO WAY

At least you are making forward progress. Get some rest!

Carolyn-I haven't had one in a while but sometimes I will start feeling light headed just sitting here. It should get better with time. Just take it easy and don't over do it. You might want to think about having your ears checked.
It couldn't hurt.

What is Labyrinthitis?

Labyrinthitis is a condition that affects the inner ear and can cause symptoms such as vertigo, dizziness, and hearing loss. It is typically caused by a viral or bacterial infection, but can also be a result of allergies or stress.

What are the common symptoms of Labyrinthitis?

The most common symptoms of Labyrinthitis include vertigo, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty with balance. Some people may also experience hearing loss, ringing in the ears, and headaches.

How is Labyrinthitis treated?

Labyrinthitis is typically treated with medication to help alleviate symptoms such as vertigo and nausea. In some cases, physical therapy or vestibular rehabilitation may also be recommended to help with balance and coordination. It is important to rest and avoid activities that worsen symptoms.

Can Labyrinthitis be prevented?

Labyrinthitis cannot always be prevented, as it is often caused by viral or bacterial infections. However, practicing good hygiene and avoiding contact with those who are sick can help reduce the risk of developing the condition. Managing stress and avoiding allergens can also be helpful.

How long does it take to recover from Labyrinthitis?

The recovery time for Labyrinthitis varies from person to person and depends on the severity of symptoms. Some people may experience a quick recovery within a few weeks, while others may take several months to fully recover. It is important to follow your doctor's recommendations and to rest as much as possible during the recovery period.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Stephanie Fisher
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Becky0216
  • susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kathie's Kitchen
  • pampered1224