• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Skepticism: My Amway/Quixtar Experience

In summary, Joseph is trying to sell Mela, a healthy lifestyle company, to Kathy, a skeptic after her experience with Amway and Quixtar. Joseph is very pushy and tries to twist Kathy's thoughts in a negative light about other companies. He is also trying to sell Mela as a get-rich-quick scheme. Kathy is not interested in Mela and does not want to hear about the benefits of the company.
Kathytnt
O.K. I am working on my organization and came across a card on my car after a craft fair. I invite the guy to join a networking group. I get a call a few minutes later. He starts giving me a pitch about his business. Now I am a natural skeptic after my Amway/Quixtar experience. I really didn't care for the fact that he is teling me that he has a Pampered Chef consultant that was disappointed with how litte she was making etc. He says he likes our products but really how much stoneware do you need type of thing. :eek:

I mean that is not how I would pitch my business - Anyone know anyting about this business. I agreed to listen to a presentation over the internet tomorrow but honestly I am so busy trying to do my Extreme Office makeover that I think it might be a waste of my time. I did send him the following e-mail.
--------
Hi Joseph,

I received your e-mails. I enjoyed chatting with you. Please understand that I love my business. I have been considerably more successful with this than I ever was with Amway because the company has a very good reputation, stands behind their products, and the customers love the products.
I always highlight the benefits of my business without casting a negative light on other businesses. I do not like the way Avon competes with it's own representatves but I would not say that to my local Avon rep. I might be interested in this as a customer but probably not as a business builder but I will be open-minded. I will be talking with you on Tuesday and trying to allocate some time to look at the information you have already sent me.

Sincerely, Kathy

Mela - basically the same as Amway/Quixtar. Good "natural" products for your home, but very heavy on the recruiting angle. I don't like hearing someone bash another company, either, to me, that is a HUGE red flag! He's trying to twist your thoughts instead of letting you make the decision for yourself. Again, like the Amway/Quixtar thing, I say RUN. Buy the products if you like them, but that's about it!! (just my opinion based on my experience with Mela people, by the way - if anyone out there sells Mela, sorry!).

I kind of figured that but he is pitching all this healthy stuff - I work at a health food store so it's not like I need vitamins. I work in the vitamin dept so I get freebies all the time.

I would also tell him in no uncertain terms that it is rude to put down another person's company. If he were genuinely trying to convince you how wonderful his company is then he would be telling you about the fantastic benefits of his company and there is no need to bash aonther....especially when this person does not have first-hand knowledge.

Well he used the example of some girl on his team or that he claims to know that is a Pampered Chef Consultant but still - Hey we would all like to be making higher commisions and higher salaries. You don't make another company look bad when you are trying to talk about your company.

Kathytnt said:
......... You don't make another company look bad when you are trying to talk about your company.
Exactly what I meant!

It's an MLM, get rich quick.

Well in my original post I put in the text of my e-mail that I replied back to him. I think I am just going to e-mail him and cancel the appt for tomorrow. I just don't have time to spend even listening to his presentation when I can be working my business.

Thanks for the heads up - I like that PC encourages recruiting but the business is mor balanced that it is products driven and has great products too.

I personally love the Renew products, I have a daughter who's had prescription skin medication and I got some Renew from a friend and thought, it can't hurt, well I'm NO LONGER getting the prescriptioin lotion, as it cost more and didn't do what this does.

I also have chronic dry skin during winter and used it a little bit myself and LOVE it.

I don't know anything about selling it, not interested in that, just want to get the product that I like,

Lisa

I guess my situation is a little different Kristin - I work at a health food store so I have access to a lot of the type products you are talking about. As a staff member in the vitamin dept I get a lot of the supplements free - I take more vits than th average person because I had gastric bypass surgery about 9 1/2 years ago

I am sorry - I was not trying to get derogatory about Melaleuca - THis guy just sort of rubbed me the wrong way and I am so busy trying to get organized in my office to have a good fall with PC

Kathytnt said:
I guess my situation is a little different Kristin - I work at a health food store so I have access to a lot of the type products you are talking about. As a staff member in the vitamin dept I get a lot of the supplements free - I take more vits than th average person because I had gastric bypass surgery about 9 1/2 years ago

I am sorry - I was not trying to get derogatory about Melaleuca - THis guy just sort of rubbed me the wrong way and I am so busy trying to get organized in my office to have a good fall with PC
No worries-there are a lot of people that don't run their business in a professional manner.

Melaleuca also has a full line of Bath and Body, RX over the counter items, cleaners, kids products, makeup, basically anything you would buy at Walmart. I can't emphasize enough about all the harsh chemicals in most of the products out there today.

Melaleuca is NOT MLM. It's a concept they came up with called Network Marketing. I am a preferred customer with them and have been for several years. It wasn't right that he bashed another company in his business speech. That isn't ethical at all. If you are wanting to hear about it as far as the products are concerned..listen! I love their products and order every single month. ALL my houselhold supplies from bath to cleaning to laundry. I have terrible sinuses and it works well for me. I have tried to do the business in the past, but had no luck. I live in the land of dollar stores and southern cooking, not as many people worried about health issues, ya know? But they do have a great compensation plan, because it is residual income. Do one presentation and those people keep ordering every month, you don't have to go back to them for more. It is a word of mouth type of company. They use referrals for all the enrollments. I have enrolled several friends, only because I know they would benefit from the products, not because I want to do it as a business. Great company though, very ethical ( despite this man's intentions on you, he's doing it wrong!), debt free. My sister makes a good living doing the business, has been doing it for 5 or 6 years. I love PC better though!!

Last edited:
pckelly said:
Melaleuca is NOT MLM. It's a concept they came up with called Network Marketing. I am a preferred customer with them and have been for several years. It wasn't right that he bashed another company in his business speech. That isn't ethical at all. If you are wanting to hear about it as far as the products are concerned..listen! I love their products and order every single month. ALL my houselhold supplies from bath to cleaning to laundry. I have terrible sinuses and it works well for me. I have tried to do the business in the past, but had no luck. I live in the land of dollar stores and southern cooking, not as many people worried about health issues, ya know? But they do have a great compensation plan, because it is residual income. Do one presentation and those people keep ordering every month, you don't have to go back to them for more. It is a word of mouth tyoe of company. They use referrals for all the enrollments. I have enrolled several friends, only because I know they would benefit from the products, not because I want to do it as a business. Great company though, very ethical ( despite this man's intentions on you, he's doing it wrong!), debt free. My sister makes a good living doing the business, has been doing it for 5 or 6 years. I love PC better though!!
You said it perfectly!!!

I love Melaleuca products. My SIL makes very good money with this company. I signed under her to be a preferred customer. It is not about recruiting really. Most people sign on to buy the products not to work it like a business. The products are natural. They have make-up, cleaners, hair products, allergy medication as well as pain relievers, diet products, vitamins and many other wonderful products. My daughter used to have really bad allergy problems all year. She took Claritin, but it would only last a few hours. Since I started using these products for the laundry and cleaning as well as the hair care products...she also uses the make-up...she rarely has to take any allergy medication at all. When she does need it, she takes the Melaleuca brand product and she is fine. These products are also better for the environment. The one thing that sold me on the products before I bought was that when you walk down the isle at WalMart you smell all of those cleaning/laundry products. That is because toxins are leaking out of the bottles. So, those toxins are leaking out into your home. With Melaleuca, there are no toxins.

I gave the Renew hand lotion to a friend who has a bad skin condition. She is unable to use most cleaning supplies because her skin peels off. She also cannot use products that contain scent. After using the lotion for a few days, she asked me how to get more, because she could see and feel a difference in her skin.

Someone needs to help this guy with his work language. Telling me how much better your company is than mine will not get me to look at it. My SIL says something about working for a wellness company and could she visit with you about her company and its wonderful products. She has appointments nearly every day.

Re: Melaleuca?i love that stuff just because i hat the harsh cemicals in the stuff you get now days from walmart or any other cleaning store. my sister in law sells it. I had a steam vurn on my arm and i put the oils they have on it right away and before i knew it it was not hurting like before. so the stuff really works.

Re: Melaleuca?I was also signed with Melaleuca for a while. I did love their products. I really liked that they were non-toxic in case my children got ahold of them. The one thing I didn't like is that I had to have a order of so many points each month... the points usually equaled around $80. They were awesome products, but if I am having a slow month I buy generic! Or use coupons for my Tide, that sort of thing. If you didn't order, you would receive a order anyhow of items you had choosen to be your back up order. In case you forgot to order on month. Then the money was taken out of your bank account.
So, now if I need anything I just tack it onto my friends order who does place one each month.
If you are interested I say find someone on here who does it and sign with them! Also, they do singing bonuses just like we do so wait for a good one! LOL!

Once again, though... really liked the products!!!

Re: Melaleuca?I had a fellow not once but TWICE contact me because he saw my TPC stuff on window, with the same hardlined pitch about how I could make so much more with Melaleuca. I had actually "done" Melaleuca as a business before, and never could make a go of it. I do, however, LOVE their products, but not enough to justify being a preferred customer. So, when I run out, I find a seller and purchase through them...

The whole approach of this fellow really turned me off. But, just as with TPC you have some bad apples that give some a bad taste, so do other companies. As a whole, Melaleuca is a great product and company...

Sorry for the ramble...HTH!

Re: Melaleuca?It all depends on how one handles his/her business. I see some pretty pushy people on recruiting just here on Chef Success. I personally buy and use Melaleuca products and would not consider anything else for my own health and the environement. I am however not interested in recruiting so I don't but I trulu believe in the product. Everyone should try Melaleuca products. And if making money is what you are after.....Melaleuca has a much greater plan that works. Your call but for your sake, try it! Nothing like it!!!

Re: Melaleuca?I might try the products with another rep! I have never even heard of the brand, but I have read from all of you how happy you are. I may just have to look them up!

Re: Melaleuca?
AJPratt said:
I might try the products with another rep! I have never even heard of the brand, but I have read from all of you how happy you are. I may just have to look them up!

AJ, I'd be happy to give you my gir's info. She is also a PC consultant

What is Amway/Quixtar and how does it relate to skepticism?

Amway/Quixtar is a multi-level marketing company that sells a variety of household, health, and beauty products. It has faced skepticism and criticism for its business practices and pyramid-like structure.

How did you become involved with Amway/Quixtar?

I was approached by a friend who was already a member and was convinced to join by the promises of financial success and personal growth.

What were some challenges you faced while navigating skepticism in Amway/Quixtar?

One of the biggest challenges was overcoming the negative perceptions and doubts others had about the company. I also had to navigate the pressure and tactics used by my upline to recruit and sell products.

What ultimately led you to leave Amway/Quixtar?

After years of struggling to make a profit and feeling disillusioned by the company's practices, I realized that the business model was not sustainable and did not align with my values. I also saw the negative impact it had on relationships with friends and family.

What advice do you have for others who are considering joining Amway/Quixtar?

Do thorough research and carefully consider the potential risks and rewards. Be cautious of exaggerated promises and pressure from recruiters. Trust your gut and make sure the opportunity aligns with your personal values and goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• strasfamily
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PCJen
  • mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies