• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone With Starling Experience?

In summary, the homeowners bought a house four months ago and have been hearing a scratching noise in the walls for the past three months. They discovered that a bird had been using their bathroom exhaust as a nesting place. The homeowners are concerned about potential health risks from the bird's nest and eggs and are unsure how to properly disinfect the exhaust. They also received advice to have the vent professionally cleaned. The conversation also included a personal experience with a bat infestation and the importance of getting rid of all traces of the nest.
Jean DeVries
Gold Member
So, we bought this house like 4 months ago. For the past three months or so, we kept hearing this scratching noise that sounded like it was in the walls in my living room. We joked that it was the ghost of the guy who owned the house before us, who lost it to foreclosure.

Well, last night my sister and I watched a bird fly in our bathroom exhaust, which for some reason comes out the back of the house rather than the side of the house where the bathroom is. And, it has a closing flap on it which the starling pushes up with it's beak in order to get in.

So tonight, my hero, my dad, put a ladder up there, took a coat hangar, and cleaned some of it out, but he went back the entire length of the coat hanger and there is still nest in there. I know starlings are nest packrats (it must be true, I read it on the internet). There were eggs in there also, which are now sitting on the lawn (except for the one that broke and ran down my screen...eeuw.)

My question is this....not knowing how long they've been in there, should we worry about disinfecting? Starlings carry histoplasmosis, and the internet is chock full o' stories of people whose houses got infested with avian lice and mites. If so, what do we disinfect with? I the exhaust fan and susequent duct is probably about 25 feet long (because that seems to make much more sense than making it 3 feet long to go out the side of the house), so I can't imagine just a little squirt or two of Lysol is going to do it.

TIA

This is above my head!! But I would certainly make sure it gets all cleaned out. It would probably be worth having someone come and clean your vent - at least that one for sure. And perhaps they would know what to do to clean it. Birds in general carry so many yucky things!!

I would definately have it professionally cleaned
it might be expensive but considering the health problems you might encounter could be worse

We had a friend die of Legionarres disease from power washing bird nests down from his patio and front door.

not worth the risk

Is this a dryer vent instead of an exhaust fan for your bathroom?

Clean IT!!!

I haven't had starlings, but when I owned my home in Wyoming (the city, not the state), near Lamar Park, every August, after WyomingFest, I would get an infestation of BATS!:eek: They would get disturbed by the noise, fireworks, etc....and fly out of the park and straight to my house. (we were thinking because I had the highest peak on my roof of the houses in that area) Nothing like several bats swooping through your house every night at dusk!:yuck: We never did figure out how they were getting in.

I ended up with fleas/critters from the bats, and had to have the entire house professionally fumigated. It was not pleasant.

Oh - and one exterminator charged me $180 to look in my attic and then give me these sticky strips (like fly paper, except thicker) and tell me that when I saw a bat resting on a wall, I should come up behind it and slap the sticky strip on it and drown it in a bucket of water. Ummm, didn't I just pay him to get rid of them for me? I was stunned. After he left, I thought of many things I could have/should have said to him....

So - Yes, get rid of all traces of their nests and them......

Teresa Lynn said:
Is this a dryer vent instead of an exhaust fan for your bathroom?

No, it's the exhaust fan. The dryer actually vents out the side of the bathroom.

We couldn't figure out what it was, so we turned the exhaust fan on and off in the bathroom, and the little flappy thing kept popping out, so we knew it was the bathroom exhaust.

ChefBeckyD said:
Clean IT!!!

I haven't had starlings, but when I owned my home in Wyoming (the city, not the state), near Lamar Park, every August, after WyomingFest, I would get an infestation of BATS!:eek: They would get disturbed by the noise, fireworks, etc....and fly out of the park and straight to my house. (we were thinking because I had the highest peak on my roof of the houses in that area) Nothing like several bats swooping through your house every night at dusk!:yuck: We never did figure out how they were getting in.

I ended up with fleas/critters from the bats, and had to have the entire house professionally fumigated. It was not pleasant.

Oh - and one exterminator charged me $180 to look in my attic and then give me these sticky strips (like fly paper, except thicker) and tell me that when I saw a bat resting on a wall, I should come up behind it and slap the sticky strip on it and drown it in a bucket of water. Ummm, didn't I just pay him to get rid of them for me? I was stunned. After he left, I thought of many things I could have/should have said to him....

So - Yes, get rid of all traces of their nests and them......

I would have liked bats. We cavers are weird that way....

Bats don't make nests, they fly out every night to get food, and we could have shut them out once they did that. They're cute and they don't eat worms.

We'll get the rest of it this weekend when we find a longer ladder. I'm trying to decide what to put in there to clean it...maybe bleach. I'm more worried about the avian lice and mites than anything else.

I would have the vent removed and put it the 3 feet out from the bathroom.

jrny2001 said:
I would have the vent removed and put it the 3 feet out from the bathroom.

Well, yesterday my chiropractor explained to me why they probably did it that way.

Venting it over the living room to the back is because that's the way the floorboards go to the upstairs. If they had vented it to the side, they would have had to cut through all of the floorboards.

That doesn't make it any less annoying..... :)

I have a bird problem that is way too complex for me to deal with ... and it's not worth it to me anyway.Years and years and years ago ... when my parents owned my house ... before the age of Central Air ... my dad cut a hole IN THE HOUSE to install a window air conditioner.The air conditioner hasn't worked in years and the plug is not even working any more, as that line is now dedicated to the central air.For some time, birds have been living in this air conditioner.There is nothing I can do, short of removing the air conditioner and replacing it wit a window. To overlook what? The neighbor's driveway?I'd rather have a blank wall ... but that would require new siding, which is so far beyond my reach it's not funny.Besides, there is no way the birds can get in the house ... the noise just irritates me and REALLY bugs the cats ...

Is there a way to put moth balls in it to deter them or crumpled aluminum foil something they don't like

Call A Professional!

(also like the alum. foil trick, you could try an SOS pad (with no soap on it) and pull it apart, they hate that more and that is agood tip for mice!) My gram told me that one! It works

I was thinking about this today, what about a blower, like for blowing leaves in the fall and blow the nest out? Then sanitize with a bleach solution and maybe replace the vent cover with one they cant open or make a cover for it with wire mesh.

1. What is "Anyone With Starling Experience"?

"Anyone With Starling Experience" is a program offered by Pampered Chef that allows you to host a cooking party with a Pampered Chef consultant who has personal experience using the Starling oven. This gives you the opportunity to learn about the unique features and benefits of the Starling oven from someone who has firsthand experience with it.

2. How do I book a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party?

To book a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party, you can contact your local Pampered Chef consultant or visit our website to find a consultant near you. They will work with you to schedule a date and time for your party that works for both of you.

3. Is there a cost to host a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party?

No, there is no cost to host a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party. The party is completely free and hosted by a Pampered Chef consultant who has personal experience with the Starling oven.

4. What can I expect at a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party?

At a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party, you can expect to learn about the features and benefits of the Starling oven, as well as see it in action as the consultant demonstrates how to use it to make delicious meals. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have and try out the oven for yourself.

5. Can I purchase the Starling oven at a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party?

Yes, you can purchase the Starling oven at a "Anyone With Starling Experience" party. Your consultant will have the oven available for purchase and can assist you with placing your order if you decide to purchase it. You can also order the oven through your consultant after the party if you need more time to make a decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • pamperedalf