• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Experience With Burns?

I just found this site. I think it will give you some great information. I hope he feels better quickly!
kcjodih
Gold Member
My DH burnt his leg at work today. Of course he says it's not worth going to the hospital but it hurts like heck and is very ugly/sore looking.

They have new dumptrucks at work that have the exhaust running down the side of the cab, under the truck and out the back. These exhausts run much hotter than the old ones due to having new emission rules. Something about having to be hotter so that they burn off more/better (huh?) Anyway, he says they're about 800 degrees when they've been running awhile so it was only about 500 degrees :eek: when he hopped out of the truck and his bare leg (wearing shorts) hit the exhaust pipe. He swears he jumped about 50 feet high (what a sight that would have been if it WAS actually 50 feet ;)) and hollered many, many swear words :eek: and now has a burn about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide on the outside of his calf.

It happened at 1 pm and they were in the middle of nowhere with no first aid supplies so he waited until he got back to the yard at 4 pm :confused::rolleyes::mad:to put some 'burn gel' on it. He came home with more burn gel, gauze and tape (like we don't have any at home?) and tonight put more gel and the gauze on it and wrapped it loose so he could sleep.

However, it is jiggling like jelly/jello right now and raised about an inch. You can just see the pus/fluid sitting in there :yuck:. My question is - should he leave it and just keep putting gel on and wrapping it or 'pop' it like you would a blister to realize the build up of fluid. I say pop it like you made me do to my blister and release the pressure and pain, he says no 'cause then it will hurt like a you know what and stick to any gauze he puts on it.

Anyone know the proper procedure for the stubborn man that won't go to the doctor?

Hit him over the head to knock him out and then drive him the the emergency room?

Doesn't his work place have rules about injuring themselves at work? Usually you have to report everything and be checked out by someone.

I wish Janet did not go to sleep!

I have never had a burn quite that bad, but I have had quite a few with blisters. I think if there is a blister, he probably has a second degree burn. I think the skin tends to come off if there is a third degree burn.

Oh wait, I just found this site. I think it will give you some great information. I hope he feels better quickly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_(injury)

By the way, Solarcaine has lidocaine. It is great stuff for stopping the pain!

JAE said:
Hit him over the head to knock him out and then drive him the the emergency room?

Doesn't his work place have rules about injuring themselves at work? Usually you have to report everything and be checked out by someone.

I would think so but he insists he didn't need to fill out anything, it was no big deal etc. He works for the city and just started there full time in April. He has been working there for the past 2 winters snow plowing from Jan 1 to April 1 and then at a concrete company from April 1 until Dec 31 when they lay off. This time when the middle of March rolled around they posted a full time permanent job, he applied and got it.

They have so many guys there that are slackers (sit in the truck all day and read, wearing SLIPPERS to work so you KNOW they have no intention of getting out of the truck) but because they 'know someone' on council nothing happens to them no matter how much it angers the foreman. Plus they have a union that covers their butt. I said if they can sit around all day I'm sure you could have left for medical attention and a day or two off with pay (or filling out worker's comp forms) without it being an issue but you know men! (sorry KG :) )

He's not whining so I'm not bothering but I'd really like to know what the proper thing to do with it is.

ChefLisa said:
I wish Janet did not go to sleep!

I have never had a burn quite that bad, but I have had quite a few with blisters. I think if there is a blister, he probably has a second degree burn. I think the skin tends to come off if there is a third degree burn.

Oh wait, I just found this site. I think it will give you some great information. I hope he feels better quickly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_(injury)

Thanks Lisa I"ll go check there now. I never even thought to google it, just said I'll go CS it :D

try a search on webmd.com too... they seem to have reliable info .. good luck.. burns are hands down the WORST injuries :( advil advil advil !

unfortunately I don't think there's a cure for the "stubborn man" part of it all.. if anyone does find a cure then they'll make billions!! ;)

White Vinegar works wonders on alleviating the sting of burns- it also does wonders for the burned skin...

It's all I use on burns- my Aunt (who was an ER nurse) taught me that...

Just pour a little over the burn (it might fizzle a little) and dampen a paper towel with it, and apply it a couple of times over a few hour period, and he should start to feel relief...

I'm still fairly new here but thought I might be able to add something.

I had a severe burn on my forearm from a pan (it actually was about 1/8" deep, 3" long and 3/4" wide). I didn't go to the doctor right away, having intended to just deal on my own. Things got very painful and I did end up having to see a doctor. She suggested 'dermafilm' to cover the wound as sort of a second skin.

Again, he probably needs to see a doctor but if he's not going to, try getting some dermafilm at your local pharmacy. Once I had it on, it healed within a week. (although I do have a scar)

Good luck to him (and you!)

probably what will be ordered-
silvadene-(script) and bacitracin--use a bit of both--Honestly he needs to be seen--INFECTIONS--are a big deal with these----Morfia-Nurse of 20 years-NO POOLS NO BEACH NO PUBLIC-WATER

MORFIA said:
probably what will be ordered-
silvadene-(script) and bacitracin--use a bit of both--

Honestly he needs to be seen--INFECTIONS--are a big deal with these----

Morfia-Nurse of 20 years-

NO POOLS NO BEACH NO PUBLIC-WATER

Morfia, should he 'pop it' or leave it be? He's concerned about popping it and opening it to infection. He's sleeping now but I'm going to call him in the morning (he leaves wayy too early in the morning) and tell him about the vinegar, dermafilm AND Nurse Morfia saying get to the darn doctor!

Thanks all!

DONT EVER POP IT--never heard of vinegar-(but I wouldn't try it on such a big area if you are going to)dermafilm is great AFTER HE is seen--and Cleaned out properly really it is so serious---NO WORK tomorrow--I will send the note--

kcjodih said:
Morfia, should he 'pop it' or leave it be? He's concerned about popping it and opening it to infection. He's sleeping now but I'm going to call him in the morning (he leaves wayy too early in the morning) and tell him about the vinegar, dermafilm AND Nurse Morfia saying get to the darn doctor!

Thanks all!

Keep the vinegar away from large blisters and open wounds... It is just vinegar, but I don't want to make it worse. I didn't read your whole post- I have used vinegar on tiny blisters from bad burns, but nothing like what your DH has... and the vinegar shrunk the blisters. :)

Take him to the ER. I just took one of my cooks there a week ago...she burned her hand cleaning a fryer. If it has blisters it is 2nd degree burns and if it has nasty looking pus it is probably 3rd degree. Insist that he go. I put silvadine...not sure how to spell it...on Tammy's burn immediately. The one place we didn't put it blistered up. But, the doctor said it is best to not put anything on it and go to ER right away. He had to clean all that off before he could look at Tammie's hand...but I still believe the silvadine saved her a lot of damaged skin. She had to go back the next day and then not work for another day after that. And, inform work that he was hurt on the job. I didn't file my WC but I am paying the bill for her ER visit. But, you need documentation in case there is anything wrong that you don't see.

Kitchen Diva said:
Keep the vinegar away from large blisters and open wounds... It is just vinegar, but I don't want to make it worse. I didn't read your whole post- I have used vinegar on tiny blisters from bad burns, but nothing like what your DH has... and the vinegar shrunk the blisters. :)

agreed==PS Kacey--I was roflol last night--is all quiet there tonight-? Small hi-jack

also, be careful of infection. Staph seems to be running rampant these days.

MORFIA said:
agreed==PS Kacey--I was roflol last night--is all quiet there tonight-? Small hi-jack

what were you laughing over? I have short term memory loss! :) LOL

(was it the small fire?)

I agree 100% with Morfia (my mom is a critical care nurse and shares all of her info with me in case of emergency!) - he needs medical attention!! Burns are serious and need to be treated with care. He needs antibiotics and some silvadene (I thought of that as soon as I read your post!), soon!

I had a bad burn on my hand from steam from a pot I took out of the microwave. I thought "no big deal", too, but after hours of being in the worst pain of my life (I could even handle childbirth better than the burn pain!), I went to the Dr. and got the silvadene and a shot of antibiotics. I had to go back daily to get the blisters checked so I wouldn't scar or lose the use of my hands (nerve damage, infection, etc.). So, even though it seems like not that big of a deal, it needs to be treated that way.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Kitchen Diva said:
what were you laughing over? I have short term memory loss! :) LOL

(was it the small fire?)

and the filling in of the hole--the square-I died-reading it--you are a HOOT-

Crest Toothpaste works wonders on burns! I keep a tube in the kitchen.

Jodi...

MAKE that man go to the doctors!

MAKE that man file a report with work within 24 hourse of the injury!

You never know how something like this will turn out, and you want to make sure that he is covered!!

What is it with men and not wanting to have proper medical care? It doesn't make them any less of a man...it shows that they have intellegence and want to take care of themselves!!!

When I burned my calf on my DH's motorcycle, I went to a clinic and they gave me a cream w/zinc. It worked wonderfully -no scar, cannot tell where the burn was!

GO TO THE DOCTOR OR HOSPITAL!!A work injury should never be ignored! Go!

Okay all. So I marched down the hall and barged in the room last night after reading the posts. I told him you'll be happy to know you were right and shouldn't pop it however now I get to say nah, nah, nah, nah, nah because you NEED to get to the hospital and get it looked at and you NEED to file a report tomorrow.

His reply................ honey mellow out, it doesn't hurt and I was asleep and I'm going BACK to sleep. Love you!

ARGGGG!!

So he's on his own. I can't MAKE a 42 yo go to the hospital. All I can do is inform, beg, argue, threaten, yell and pout (which I did all of last night) and then the rest is up to him!

But thank you again to all! Because of you my concerns were justified and you stopped me from attacking him with a pin to pop it! :yuck:

DH just had a bad grease burn up his whole arm - never went to the doctor...not a big deal for him. They'd tell him what he already knows.1. Keep area clean - don't apply any creams, lotions or anything unless it is a burn cream made specifically for burns or a burn spray. 2. When blistering, it is best NOT to pop the blisters (that's where infection can occur) and NOT to apply creams during that time.3. Best thing to do is wash with water, lightly pat dry, wrap arm in gauze then wrap vet wrap (Coban) (basically a self-stick Ace bandage - Band-Aid makes them - found at Walgreens) around it and leave it like that for the day. 4. It will hurt for awhile...avoid pressure on it other than the Coban and take some Tylenol as needed.Hope that helps!

Jodi...How is hub this morning?

BTW- I am going off to the PO this morning! They weren't open Monday (holiday) and yesterday was NUTSO BUSY for me! I will PM you later with your total!

He really needs to go see a doctor and get it checked out. They can prescribe medicines to make it feel better and keep it from getting infected. Another reason it needs to be looked at is to see if it already might be infected (he doesn't want a staph infection in there, now does he?). I know men are completely stubborn, but he really should have told his supervisor about the injury and filled out workman's comp papers so work could pay for any medical treatment. The fact is now you are past that, and what matters now is he really needs to see a doctor. The whole thing may seem benign, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck to you in convincing him to see the doctor, and I do hope his leg is OK.

I doubt you'll convince him at this point - he's a guy. It'll be fine as long as he keeps it clean. Burns are so open, you don't want to put medication in them UNLESS it is infected and then antibiotics only.

KellyTheChef said:
Jodi...

You never know how something like this will turn out, and you want to make sure that he is covered!!

What is it with men and not wanting to have proper medical care? It doesn't make them any less of a man...it shows that they have intellegence and want to take care of themselves!!!

AMEN, well said Kelly!

I agree that he should see a doctor. A few years ago I burnt myself on the oven door at work. It was a spot on the side of my elbow barely the size of a nickel. Like your DH I didn't think anything of it, tried to keep it clean and let it heal. Well, 3 or 4 days later I woke up and my arm was twice it's normal size! It didn't hurt (besides the burn) and other than the appearance I still felt fine so I went in to work. My District Manager took one look at it and asked it that was the arm I burnt the other day. I told him yes and he dragged me to the nearest Redi-Care. Turns out that I had a SEVERE infection at the burn site that had traveled up and down my arm. I had cellulitis-I was put on heavy duty antibiotics and was given the Silvadene cream. After that, I think it took about 2 weeks for the burn to heal but I definitely don't take any injury lightly anymore.

kcjodih said:
My DH burnt his leg at work today. Of course he says it's not worth going to the hospital but it hurts like heck and is very ugly/sore looking.

They have new dumptrucks at work that have the exhaust running down the side of the cab, under the truck and out the back. These exhausts run much hotter than the old ones due to having new emission rules. Something about having to be hotter so that they burn off more/better (huh?) Anyway, he says they're about 800 degrees when they've been running awhile so it was only about 500 degrees :eek: when he hopped out of the truck and his bare leg (wearing shorts) hit the exhaust pipe. He swears he jumped about 50 feet high (what a sight that would have been if it WAS actually 50 feet ;)) and hollered many, many swear words :eek: and now has a burn about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide on the outside of his calf.

It happened at 1 pm and they were in the middle of nowhere with no first aid supplies so he waited until he got back to the yard at 4 pm :confused::rolleyes::mad:to put some 'burn gel' on it. He came home with more burn gel, gauze and tape (like we don't have any at home?) and tonight put more gel and the gauze on it and wrapped it loose so he could sleep.

However, it is jiggling like jelly/jello right now and raised about an inch. You can just see the pus/fluid sitting in there :yuck:. My question is - should he leave it and just keep putting gel on and wrapping it or 'pop' it like you would a blister to realize the build up of fluid. I say pop it like you made me do to my blister and release the pressure and pain, he says no 'cause then it will hurt like a you know what and stick to any gauze he puts on it.

Anyone know the proper procedure for the stubborn man that won't go to the doctor?

Don't know when this happened, but I dropped a pan of lasgna (or however you spell that) on my foot in 1993. Being the tough cookie that I am, washed the foot, put a clean sock on and went about my business. Didn't hurt much (I had burned all the nerve endings off) so I just went about my business. The next day, it was red, but once again, just went about my business. Sunday morning rolls around and I am thinking that it looks a bit puffy,so maybe I should go to the ER just to get some cream and something to take the swelling down. They were horrified that I had let it go so long, they drugged me up and said that if the swelling didn't start to go down by the next day to come back and be admitted.

Next day, foot is the size of a football, and hurts like h*ll. They toss my butt into the hospital for 2 (!!!) weeks. I had to have a skin graft, infectious diseases people were all over me, I was on IV antibotics, daily scaping of the burn, etc. Then home in bed for 2 weeks, then on crutches, off work for another month. It was a mess.

Take it from me, burns are not funny. If that thing pops and gets infected, you are in big trouble. Please, get him to a Dr.

KellyTheChef said:
Jodi...

DebbieJ said:
GO TO THE DOCTOR OR HOSPITAL!!

A work injury should never be ignored!

Go!

WE WON, WE WON!!! WOOHOO!! :D:D:D:D

So I told DH tonight about the replies from everyone including if he wasn't going to go to the doctor then do what Janet said (thanks Janet) BUT so and so said this, and so and so had this happen, and so and so is a nurse etc etc

After I mentioned about the gal swelling up and then being admitted to hospital and the possibility of infections, etc he didn't say much but a few minutes later came out and said 'after the hockey player comes to meet us and see if we click, I'll head up to the hospital. Probably be there 4-5 hours so I'll see you tomorrow :rolleyes:;)

So he just left to go seek a medical opinion/attention.

Thanks SO much everyone! He wouldn't listen to me but he finally DID listen to the dozens of women on here that replied!

You gals rock!! HUGS!!

Wow! We can even gang up on someone virtually! :D

KellyTheChef said:
Jodi...How is hub this morning?

BTW- I am going off to the PO this morning! They weren't open Monday (holiday) and yesterday was NUTSO BUSY for me! I will PM you later with your total![/QUOTE]

No worries, thanks Kelly. Let me know the total and I'll paypal it to you asap.

Let us know how he fairs. You're welcome by the way...he still needs to do that to care for it as he heals. My DH took good care of his burns which were quite severe and his arm looks much better than my ankle/foot! You can barely even see where he got burned and his was a gallon of hot, hot grease!

Jodi...I am so happy to hear that he is getting it looked at. Better to be safe than sorry!

Let us know what the dr said when he gets home!

WOMAN POWER!! lol

KellyTheChef said:
Jodi...I am so happy to hear that he is getting it looked at. Better to be safe than sorry!

Let us know what the dr said when he gets home!

WOMAN POWER!! lol

Well he left at 7, called at 9 and said he just got through triage. I guess there were only 3 other people in the ER and one had just come out of the triage when he arrived but just as he was about to go in an ambulance came in Code Blue (whatever that is - just very urgent is all I know). So an hour and a half later he gets in the triage and then when he gets out....another ambulance shows up and another Code Blue. (And this is in a town of 20,000 - is there a full moon tonight?)

So he sits and waits. I haven't heard from him since but I'm not calling either since he's not supposed to have his cell on and probably forgot to turn it off. I wouldn't want it ringing in there. I'll just wait until he calls or comes home.

Oh! The triage nurse did say he was going to have to get a tetanus shot since he has no idea when his last one was and that the needle was 'THIS' big LOL and she also said that it depends on the doctor whether or not he 'pops' it. Some do and some don't :confused:

GO GIRL POWER! :D:D:D:D:D

kcjodih said:
Well he left at 7, called at 9 and said he just got through triage. I guess there were only 3 other people in the ER and one had just come out of the triage when he arrived but just as he was about to go in an ambulance came in Code Blue (whatever that is - just very urgent is all I know). So an hour and a half later he gets in the triage and then when he gets out....another ambulance shows up and another Code Blue. (And this is in a town of 20,000 - is there a full moon tonight?)

So he sits and waits. I haven't heard from him since but I'm not calling either since he's not supposed to have his cell on and probably forgot to turn it off. I wouldn't want it ringing in there. I'll just wait until he calls or comes home.

Oh! The triage nurse did say he was going to have to get a tetanus shot since he has no idea when his last one was and that the needle was 'THIS' big LOL and she also said that it depends on the doctor whether or not he 'pops' it. Some do and some don't :confused:

GO GIRL POWER! :D:D:D:D:D

Tell him he's a wimp! ;) I just had a tetnus booster on my birthday in July and it was only about a 20 gauge needle.

Hopefully he gets out soon - got to love nationalized health care. I'm sorry he has to wait so long!

Well he just called and he's on his way home. 5 hours including there and back. Tons and tons of ambulances tonight for some reason.

Anyway, no tetanus - they said see your regular doctor (what the heck, he's in your care right now lady, just DO it!) Whatever! She did 'pop it' for whatever reason, cleaned it up, cream on it, gauze and bandages and supplies for two days. Said to pick up some polysporin and use that with the gauze and bandages. Oh, and she also said Well done, nice burn! :grumpy:

Oh, he's just pulling in, gotta go!

chefann said:
Wow! We can even gang up on someone virtually! :D

So I was reading the different replies to him. He says we're all a bunch of bullys and this is cyber bullying. He's says stay tuned you'll hearing from his lawyer ;):D

BAHAAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAA LMAO TOO FUNNY!!!

Where is Janet.... I know she will have something wise to say!
I hope your hubby feels better soon :)

Glad to hear he went and had it looked at.

Amazing what power CS has!!!

Jenni said:
Where is Janet.... I know she will have something wise to say!
I hope your hubby feels better soon :)

Just saw this now...something wise or something silly?

I didn't bully him so I'm safe!

Ha ha guys! :p

1. What is the proper procedure for treating a burn at home?

The first step is to immediately cool the burned area with cool water for at least 10 minutes. Then, apply a burn gel or ointment to the affected area. Cover with a sterile gauze or bandage. If the burn is severe or covers a large area, seek medical attention.

2. How do I know if a burn needs medical attention?

If the burn is larger than 3 inches in diameter, affects the face, hands, feet, or genitals, or shows signs of infection (such as pus, redness, or swelling), it may require medical attention. It is always best to err on the side of caution and seek medical advice for burns that are causing severe pain or do not seem to be improving.

3. Is it normal for a burn to form blisters or pus?

Yes, blistering and pus formation are common responses to a burn. This is the body's way of protecting and healing the affected area. It is important not to pop the blisters, as this can increase the risk of infection. If the blisters are causing discomfort, consult a medical professional for advice on how to safely drain them.

4. Should I pop a burn blister to release the fluid?

It is generally not recommended to pop a burn blister, as this can increase the risk of infection. If the blister is causing discomfort, consult a medical professional for advice on how to safely drain it. In general, it is best to leave the blister intact and cover it with a sterile bandage until it heals on its own.

5. How do I care for a burn at home?

In addition to cooling the burn and applying a burn gel or ointment, it is important to keep the affected area clean and covered with a sterile bandage. Change the bandage daily and watch for signs of infection. Over-the-counter pain relievers can also help with discomfort. If the burn is severe or not improving, seek medical attention.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrny2001
  • ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ahammons
Replies