• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Praise for a Miracle, but Prayer Still Needed

In summary, Stephen was shot in the head at gunpoint, but made it down a steep set of steps outside his apartment and collapsed on the ground. He was shot in the left temple and the bullet went in just above his left eye and came out above his right eye. The surgery to try and remove bone fragments and to repair the damage was difficult and lengthy, but he is alive and appears to be doing well.
raebates
Staff member
I received this email from a friend. I knew a bit about the incident, but this has the details. (I've taken out bits about contacting her.) Please keep this young man and his mom in prayer. He's in his early twenties.

Tuesday afternoon, I ran home for a few minutes between visits when I had a meeting canceled. I found a message on my answering machine telling me that Stephen had been taken to Parkview Hospital in Ft Wayne with a gunshot wound. I called the Hosp and they would not tell me anything except that he was there and he was alive.

When I finally got to the hosp, I found out Stephen had been robbed in his apartment at gunpoint by three guys and then was shot in the head. By some miraculous way, he made it down a very steep set of steps outside his two story apartment, and collapsed on the ground. The tenants in the downstairs apt heard the gunshot, saw the three guys run off , and saw Stephen in the yard. They called 911. The bullet went in just above his left temple and came out above his right eye. It tore out both of his frontal lobes, destroyed the sinus cavity in his forehead, and tore the membrane around the brain. He had surgery right away to try and remove bone fragments and to repair the damage. The neurologist and plastic surgeon worked together for nearly 5 hrs. They took muscle from his leg to try and repair the destroyed sinus cavity. Also used many screws and small plates. Before the surgery, the neurologist was clear that he might not make it through the surgery
and that if he did, there could be significant damage. He also prepared us that he might be blind in one eye. The DR said he had never seen this type of wound where the person was alive. He said if Stephen made it through the surgery, the next three days would be life and death.

Thank the Lord for His mercy and for all the prayers of so many people, Stephen made it through surgery and spent a shaky night in the ICU. The DR said he would be in ICU for three days and then he might be moved to a regular room. To everyone's amazement, yesterday afternoon Stephen started talking and was alert (as much as you can be on morphine and codeine). Two of the DRs said it was miraculous. The ophthalmologist was in awe that his sight appears to be good. More good news is that today, Stephen was moved to a regular room!! Praise the Lord.

The recent prayer concern is that this afternoon, he started having spinal fluid leak out through his nose. He is to be on his back for the next 24 hrs to see if the leak will stop. If it does not, he will need surgery to try and patch the leak. If necessary, they will remove more muscle from his leg to patch the leak.

Please pray the spinal fluid will quit leaking out his nose Continue to pray that there will be no infection or hemorrhage which the DR says would be life threatening.

He has a long road ahead of him, but at least he is alive to face it.

Oh Dear Lord...I pray for this young man. I praise you that you have brought him through this by a miracle. Now we are praying for you to show yourself again with a way to stop this leaking of his spinal fluid. Lord, you are the ultimate physician and we ask you humbly to heal this man and bring glory to You! Be with his family and the hospital staff as they work with him. Give them strength, compassion, and the wisdom they need to help him. In your precious name, Amen.

what a tragedy. This family will be in my prayres. I went to school with a girl that got shot in her head she lost her one eye.

This family has been through a lot. Eleven years ago the youngest son (in 8th grade at the time) was killed in a car accident. A couple of years later there was a messy divorce. (Seriously, it was horrid.) Three years ago her daughter got terribly ill. It took weeks for the doctors to figure out what was wrong and months for her to get better. Two years ago this same son, Stephen, was in a bad car accident, and they weren't sure if he was going to live.There are days I wonder how Melissa keeps going. Then, I remember that she is a tremendous woman of God. After her son was killed, she set up a trust. That trust puts on an event every year that involves the two things her late son loved--Jesus and music. I consider myself blessed to call her friend.

Just prayed for Stephen and his family.....I will keep praying, and watching for updates.

Praying for Stephen and his family as well - that he continues to get better and quickly.

raebates said:
This family has been through a lot. Eleven years ago the youngest son (in 8th grade at the time) was killed in a car accident. A couple of years later there was a messy divorce. (Seriously, it was horrid.) Three years ago her daughter got terribly ill. It took weeks for the doctors to figure out what was wrong and months for her to get better. Two years ago this same son, Stephen, was in a bad car accident, and they weren't sure if he was going to live.

There are days I wonder how Melissa keeps going. Then, I remember that she is a tremendous woman of God. After her son was killed, she set up a trust. That trust puts on an event every year that involves the two things her late son loved--Jesus and music. I consider myself blessed to call her friend.

Isn't it sad that sometimes the ones that DESERVE IT LEAST have the most to deal with? I guess sometimes God needs their actions to serve as a witness to the strength that He gives us when we need it.

I'll add my prayers to the list.

WOW! That is just amazing! (The story so far and his progress). It gives me chills to even think about it. I'll be praying for him.How old is Stephen now?

janetupnorth said:
WOW! That is just amazing! (The story so far and his progress). It gives me chills to even think about it.

I'll be praying for him.

How old is Stephen now?
I know, I got chills when it said that he was talking and seeing and moved to his own room!
Praise God!
I will pray for them!

Any news on if they have caught the robbers? Dear Lord that is one of my prayers that God will give justice where justice is due! You can forgive someone, but you can also give it to God and let him serve the justice!
God Bless you Rae for bringing your friend and her son to our group so we can all pray! There is some serious power when more than one is joined in His name! He is there also!
:angel: :)

wow, sending my prayers their way!

Thanks, everyone.Stephen is now in his early to mid-twenties.I haven't heard if they have anyone in custody, but I'm hoping they will catch them.

KellyTheChef said:
Oh Dear Lord...I pray for this young man. I praise you that you have brought him through this by a miracle. Now we are praying for you to show yourself again with a way to stop this leaking of his spinal fluid. Lord, you are the ultimate physician and we ask you humbly to heal this man and bring glory to You! Be with his family and the hospital staff as they work with him. Give them strength, compassion, and the wisdom they need to help him. In your precious name, Amen.

Amen...

UpdateReceived the following update from Melissa (Stephen's mom) dated January 12.

Stephen has had a rough day today. Has not been out of bed yesterday or today and is in terrible pain. He is not eating and is very weak. He wants all the lights out and no noise because everything hurts his head. Today I put a couple peanuts in my mouth while in his room and he said it hurt his head to hear me chew them.

The spinal fluid has not been leaking out of his nose while he is in bed. The neurologist wants a couple more days of bedrest to give the leak more time to heal.

Prayer needs:
for relief from the pain
that Stephen will be able to eat. he is very sick on his stomach from the pain and from the meds
for the spinal fluid leak to stop even when he gets up
for double vision to clear up
for clarity of mind
for the shooters to be apprehended and for Stephen's safety (and mine) when he comes home
that the doctors will be wise about when to send him home. (he cannot be left alone for at least the first two weeks he is home)​

Also please pray that I can stop coughing and that my voice comes back strong. I hope to sleep in his room tonight but will be afraid to do so if I am coughing.

I will try to send a note in a couple days

Thanks again for all your prayers.

Rae...thanks for the update. I am sure we will all continue to pray for him!

Sorry to hear he is having so much pain. I can't even imagine what he is going through. We hear all the good stuff but often forget how bad the wounds really are!

I hope he has some relief and some security!

I can't imagine how one human being can do that to another.

Keep us posted Rae!!!!

Oh my. They are in our prayers for sure. Gosh, being a mother is a wonderful, blessed, painful job isn't it? I cannot imagine.

UpdateThank you so much for your prayers. I received the following update from Melissa. It was sent on Tuesday, January 15.

Dear Friends, God is good and His mercies are new every morning.

One week ago Stephen was shot in the head clear through his brain. Tomorrow, he is being released from the hospital. I must admit, it really scares me and I worry that it is more an insurance decision rather than a medical decision. However, the doctors say they cannot do anything else for him unless a complication develops. He will spend a lot of time sleeping and resting and will have outpatient therapies. At this point, he is still sleeping 23 hrs a day,.

Stephen's father felt it would be best for Stephen to go to his house because it's all on one level and there is a bedroom that he can shut himself off in. At my house, the bedrooms are all upstairs. So for the beginning, at least, he will go there.

Please pray:
that spinal fluid would not start leaking again
that life threatening infection would be stopped
that seizures would not start
that brain healing, especially cognitive and decision making, would grow stronger.​

Please pray for me also, as I deal with the fact that for the first time in Stephen's 20 years I will not be the one taking care of him when he is sick or needing help.

I am so very grateful for the love and prayers and messages that so many of you have sent. It has made all the difference.

I would add one additional prayer request. The divorce was years ago, and Melissa has forgiven her ex-husband and moved on. However, I know that having to go to his home to see their son will be very uncomfortable for her.

Wow Rae. I am so sorry. Prayers being said. I hope he will be ok.

Oh man... this is the first time I've seen this thread... I will pray for this family... God has asked and expected much of them... and obviously He has carried them as they have been faithful to Him! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll be praying we continue to get great reports!

sending up prayers ^j^

Thank you for your continued prayers for Stephen and Melissa. I received the following email from her. It's dated Monday, January 21. God has continued to perform miracles in this young man's life.

I want to start by saying thanks to SO many of you for your wonderful emails, cards, phone messages, and most of all for your prayers. I know it's prayer that has made the difference in Stephen's progress so far.

Stephen was released from the hospital last Wed, late afternoon and taken to his dad's. ( I am hoping he will be coming home soon.) Stephen continues to make miraculous recovery. He is awake more during the days and is walking and talking when he is awake. We are waiting for speech therapy to start. They will be working on higher level cognitive skills, math, decision making and planning.

I visited Stephen on Sat and then stayed with him Sun AM at his dad's while they all went to church. He still has a lot of pain and is tired (his dad has two preschool kids!) but overall he is a miracle. Please pray his brain continues to heal and that his judgment and decision making process is restored. Those are some of the areas that are affected by frontal lobe damage. Other concerns to pray about include: danger of infection, seizures and spinal fluid leaks.

Thank you again for your prayers, melissa

Praise God for his continued recovery! I pray that God speeds up the recovery process and that he doesn't have any setbacks!

Thanks for keeping us updated Rae!

Amazing story, still. I hope he continues to improve. It's nice to have something good and positive among all the bad.

quiverfull7 said:
Oh man... this is the first time I've seen this thread... I will pray for this family... God has asked and expected much of them... and obviously He has carried them as they have been faithful to Him! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll be praying we continue to get great reports!

Me too! My prayers are with Stephen and his family.

I spoke with Melissa the other day. Her son, the walking miracle, is on a cross-country trip with his grandfather! Thanks so much for all your prayers. He is truly a walking answer to prayer.

1. What is "Praise for a Miracle, but Prayer Still Needed"?

"Praise for a Miracle, but Prayer Still Needed" is a phrase often used in the Pampered Chef community to express gratitude for a positive outcome, but also a reminder that continued prayer and support is still needed.

2. What inspired this phrase?

This phrase was inspired by the belief that while we should always give thanks for blessings and miracles in our lives, we should also continue to pray and support others who may still be in need.

3. How can I incorporate this phrase into my Pampered Chef business?

You can incorporate this phrase into your business by using it in your social media posts, including it in your customer thank you notes or order confirmations, and even using it as a mantra during team meetings or events.

4. Can I use this phrase even if I am not religious?

Yes, absolutely! This phrase can be used by anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs. It simply serves as a reminder to always be grateful and continue to support others.

5. Is there a specific time or situation where this phrase should be used?

There is no specific time or situation where this phrase should be used. It can be used anytime you want to express gratitude for a positive outcome but also remind others to continue to pray and support those in need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
winklermom
Replies
Views
MissChef
Replies
Views
twinchefs
Back