• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prayers Needed for Teen Boy Who Broke Neck While Swimming in WI Lake

In summary, the 14-year-old boy from central Wisconsin drowned and broke his neck after diving into waves. He was revived and med-flighted to Theda Clark in Neenah, where he is in ICU. His family is receiving prayer support from friends and strangers.
pcchris
Silver Member
Hi all!

I have a dear friend who's 14 year old son was swimming and diving into waves in central WI Sunday, and somehow he dove into the lake where they were and he broke his neck. The boy's little brother found him floating in the water, and was smart enough to call for help to mom, and fortunately there was nurses and doctors on the beach that were able to perform CPR and revive him. (He was blue when they brought him ashore) However, he was med-flighted to Theda Clark in Neenah and after several hours of surgery, is now in ICU. He's semi-conscious, but it's too soon for the docs to know what lasting damage there is. (so sad, he's in my DD's class). He's lucky to be alive!

Please include the Bingen Family in your prayers. They are located in Brownsville, WI.

Thank you...the power of prayer is mystifying!

I hate to hear stuff like that. I will keep them in my prayers!!

I am so sorry to hear that. They are all in my prayers. My son is 5 and just started swimming in the "deep end" and he is jumping in too. It all makes me cringe. That is so sad.

Chris - will be praying - that is sad.

When talking to our Red Cross Health & Safety Coordinator in Portage today she said she got a call from someone who did CPR on a boy this weekend and hadn't taken a class in a few years and wanted to renew her skills now...that sounds like the same incident based on some of the details.

WOW Chris I am really sorry to hear this. I will be sure to lift this family up in my prayers. I know that God can perform a miracle and I pray that this will happen for this young man.

You got it!!

Praying here ...

Keep us posted...my prayers and thoughts are with them. Just makes you want to put your kids in a bubble.

Prayers goin' up for them!

janetupnorth said:
Chris - will be praying - that is sad.

When talking to our Red Cross Health & Safety Coordinator in Portage today she said she got a call from someone who did CPR on a boy this weekend and hadn't taken a class in a few years and wanted to renew her skills now...that sounds like the same incident based on some of the details.

Janet, it happened in Stevens Point...don't know if this was the same incident or not. Thank God for people who know CPR!! (I have been trained for CPR as well).

Oh noSorry to hear that. They are in my prayers. I wish I had the time to take CPR classes, especially with 5 children and a husband I love very much. I thank the good Lord for His mercy.

Debbie :D

Chris,

I will keep him and his family in my prayers!

He and the entire family will be in our prayers.

Oh wow......do let us know how he recovers!

pcchris said:
Janet, it happened in Stevens Point...don't know if this was the same incident or not. Thank God for people who know CPR!! (I have been trained for CPR as well).

I bet it was because that is where the call came in.

The lady who performed it hadn't had a class in awhile but she did what she could do! It just goes to show you how much a little training can help in the time of an emergency! I always tell my students who have a "fear" of helping someone because they aren't skilled or worthy enough that what little then can do and do well is more than the person may have otherwise.

I will keep the family in my prayers!!!!

They are in our prayers!

DebbieSAChef said:
Sorry to hear that. They are in my prayers. I wish I had the time to take CPR classes, especially with 5 children and a husband I love very much. I thank the good Lord for His mercy.

Debbie :D
Debbie, You don't have time to NOT take the classes! The Red Cross offers classes that only take a few hours. And husbands should take it too! My husband took it with me (I was a health care professional until a few years ago) and felt so relieved that he could help me if anything happened. (We are due for a refresher - thanks for the reminder!)

Chris, I am praying for that boy and his family.

Last edited:
I will pray for this family! And I just want to say, have Faith that the boy will be fine and when you pray thank God for no permanent brain damage and no paralizing damage to his body. I am so glad that this prayer is for his healing and not for the grief of loosing him! I wish it hadn't happened but I am glad that he is alive! Praise God! And just have faith that God will bring this boy through and there will be no signs that he ever had the accident in the first place! Amen!;) Prayers of Faith are the prayers God can work with!

MissChef said:
I will pray for this family! And I just want to say, have Faith that the boy will be fine and when you pray thank God for no permanent brain damage and no paralizing damage to his body. I am so glad that this prayer is for his healing and not for the grief of loosing him! I wish it hadn't happened but I am glad that he is alive! Praise God! And just have faith that God will bring this boy through and there will be no signs that he ever had the accident in the first place! Amen!;) Prayers of Faith are the prayers God can work with!

Cathy- thank you for that reminder!

I will be praying for him...keep us posted when you can!

BethCooks4U said:
Debbie, You don't have time to NOT take the classes! The Red Cross offers classes that only take a few hours. And husbands should take it too! My husband took it with me (I was a health care professional until a few years ago) and felt so relieved that he could help me if anything happened. (We are due for a refresher - thanks for the reminder!)

Chris, I am praying for that boy and his family.

Community CPR and First Aid combined can usually be taught in about 7 1/2hours including breaks. That is one day to potential help save your children or someone else.

...and if you feel you won't get the course material if you aren't in healthcare, you will. Community CPR is made just for that! You don't even have to check a pulse in most cases anymore.

Chris - I sent your note to the Red Cross in Stevens Point/Portage to see if it was the same case they were told about and didn't get an answer to that but got a response that they will be praying too!

This is so horrible. I will be praying for healing and for his family as they await news. God will provide in His will.

I have left a message with my friend...she has not called me back yet, but I just wanted to thank you all for the prayers. When I hear more, I'll keep all of you updated.

She will be overwhelmed for a while...I can't even imagine.

I whole heartedly agree with Beth...everyone should learn CPR...it's really not that difficult to learn. I was fortunate enough to take the course through Girl Scouts, so it wasn't all that expensive. But you can't put a price on saving a life.

Again, thanks to all of you for your prayers.

Okay, I JUST got off the phone with my friend...here's an update:

They removed the ventilator today (ALREADY!), and he's breathing okay on his own. They had to remove his c4 vertabrae to allow for swelling. From the MRI they took today, his spinal cord shows no signs of damage, but they don't know what's going on inside of his spinal cord. He has good movement in his right leg, but not so good in his left leg. He is hyper-sensitive from his neck to his waist...so the docs say it's okay, that means his pain receptors/transmitters are working. I told her that you all were praying, and she's very appreciative of your prayers!!

When I hear more, I'll let you all know.

In the meantime, please continue praying for the family.

Well, that sound like good news so far!

Glad for the good news. I'll continue to keep everyone in prayer.

Thanks for the update... continuing to pray:)

So Happy to hear the good news so far.:thumbup:

Glad to hear postive news...keeping him and his family in prayer!

Glad to hear the good news!

Thanks for the update, Chris. I'll continue to pray as the Lord lays him on my heart. I'm so glad to hear that he is feeling pain - that is a wonderful sign!

Just FYI, I've had a cervical lamenectomy at two levels (they remove the back of the vertabre to relieve pressure on the spinal cord) and have had no trouble with my neck that isn't caused by sitting at the computer too long :rolleyes: Do you know, did they remove the entire vertabre, or just part of it? I don't know how removing the entire thing would impact things ...

pcchris said:
Okay, I JUST got off the phone with my friend...here's an update:

They removed the ventilator today (ALREADY!), and he's breathing okay on his own. They had to remove his c4 vertabrae to allow for swelling. From the MRI they took today, his spinal cord shows no signs of damage, but they don't know what's going on inside of his spinal cord. He has good movement in his right leg, but not so good in his left leg. He is hyper-sensitive from his neck to his waist...so the docs say it's okay, that means his pain receptors/transmitters are working. I told her that you all were praying, and she's very appreciative of your prayers!!

When I hear more, I'll let you all know.

In the meantime, please continue praying for the family.

I hope it was a piece and can be fixed later - I can't even imagine that and how he'd live without that vertebrae.... Glad to hear he is off a ventilator though!

Believe it or not, I just ran into the mom. I knew she was coming into town this morning, so I guess I became a stalker and found her. She had pics and told me more:

Bo is conscious and awake. His brain has not been affected by this at all. He's cracking jokes and trying to make everyone laugh. He can raise his arms up, but can't bend his wrists or move his fingers. He has some sensation in his feet and toes, but it's only "tingles" when contact is made. The doctors can not tell her without a doubt that he will get all of his mobility back, and they don't know if walking will be an option. I know that this may sound kind of goofy, but she is not thinking too overly positive. Reason being, is that if she thinks "the worst", she is prepared for the reality. Then, if he improves, she has something to celebrate! Don't get me wrong, she's not wallowing in the bad, thinking that this is it, he'll never walk again...she's just mentally preparing for the fact that he may never walk again. What a difficult situation. She's incredibly STRONG! She asked me to thank you all for the prayers, and she's a firm believer in the power of prayer, so she would love it if you all would continue to pray for her family.

As far as the C4 vert...she said they removed it, but then put a bone back in?
I don't know too much about that.

When I hear more, I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Thanks for the update, Chris. Sounds like your friend is being cautiously optomistic. My counsin was in a van accident a few years ago and has function in her arms, but from her chest down...nothing. She did not have any brain damage, but coping with suddenly being totally dependent is very challenging to even the strongest.

She was 49 when it happened, She has always been bright, bubbly and such a caring person. (When we were younger and she visited my grandparents I looked up to her SO much...like a little stalker!!) In comparing what she has gone through, vs what you are writng about Bo, it sounds like he will fair better than my cousin. They sent her to a rehab facility and she gained physically and mentally from this. Again, keep us post and we will continue to keep them in our prayers.

Chris, this is the first I saw this post.

I will pray for Bo's continued recovery. How fortunate he is. This accicdent
could have been way more devastating. The rest of function may return with PT.

About 12 years ago my SIL saved an 18 month old using CPR. She was on the local rescue squad & on her way out to DS's football game. She usually went with her DH earlier but was running late & would be driving herself that day. When she was leaving her house she heard panicked screaming & commotion coming from her back neighbor's house. She ran back & performed CPR & saved that baby's life! What an example of divine intervention! All the adults were in panic mode & not thinking clearly. She had never done CPR before. She was new to the town rescue squad & scared she wouldn't be able to do it, but she said something just took over and she did it!

I think that everyone should learn CPR, especially when they are expecting a baby! It should be a law, or taught in schools & colleges on a regular basis.
You never know when you may need those skills. How awful it would be to lose someone you love that you may have been able to help, just because you didn't bother to take the time to learn it. Anyone can find the time if they care enough to!

Sorry everyone for the lecture...now go register for CPR if you haven't taken it!

Here's the latest...Bo is out of ICU, into PT now...he has movement in his right hand and fingers. Left hand is still not good, but they are working with him. Legs are getting better movement.

God's listening...thanks for the prayers! It means the world to me and his family!

I'll continue to pray.

Me too!:angel: :angel: ;)

UPDATE:

On the way home from Mackinac, we stopped in to see Bo. (Yes, all 9 girls and 3 adults!) The room was kind of full...but Bo looks great! He's lost about 15 pounds, so a little on the skinny side, but he has great movement of his legs, and his arms. Left hand still can't grip, but they are working on it! He actually walked the hall yesterday (with help from one therapist). Mom was so happy that the legs are working! Mom knew we were coming, but I don't think he knew we were coming. He was very happy to see us. AND, Get this! One of the helicopter medics who saved Bo knows one of the head guys from the Green Bay Packers. Well, this Packer guy told Brett Favre about Bo, and then one of the two of these guys came in to see Bo with an autographed Brett Favre football for him...how cool is that? I asked Bo what he would do if Brett Favre walked into the hospital to see him, and he said he would probably pass out. Then we all laughed! Anyway, sorry for the rambling...it was just so good to see how far he's progressing! And, I wanted to let you know how he's doing. Thanks for all the prayers...keep em coming!

pcchris said:
UPDATE:

On the way home from Mackinac, we stopped in to see Bo. (Yes, all 9 girls and 3 adults!) The room was kind of full...but Bo looks great! He's lost about 15 pounds, so a little on the skinny side, but he has great movement of his legs, and his arms. Left hand still can't grip, but they are working on it! He actually walked the hall yesterday (with help from one therapist). Mom was so happy that the legs are working! Mom knew we were coming, but I don't think he knew we were coming. He was very happy to see us. AND, Get this! One of the helicopter medics who saved Bo knows one of the head guys from the Green Bay Packers. Well, this Packer guy told Brett Favre about Bo, and then one of the two of these guys came in to see Bo with an autographed Brett Favre football for him...how cool is that? I asked Bo what he would do if Brett Favre walked into the hospital to see him, and he said he would probably pass out. Then we all laughed! Anyway, sorry for the rambling...it was just so good to see how far he's progressing! And, I wanted to let you know how he's doing. Thanks for all the prayers...keep em coming!

I missed this the other day! Great report so far! :thumbup: I pray that he continues to constantly improve!

Yea...somehow I missed the update too!

I am so glad things are improving for him! Thank you Lord!

pcchris said:
UPDATE:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling...it was just so good to see how far he's progressing! And, I wanted to let you know how he's doing. Thanks for all the prayers...keep em coming!

Hey... when it's great news like this... RAMBLE ON as much as you want!!!

Wow - I just wanted to thank all of you for all of the prayers! Bo is at home now, going through PT, and hoping to be back to school before second semester starts. That's not too bad...but a lot will depend on how well his fine motor skills recover. Right now he can only squeeze 3 pounds of pressure with his fingers. (I was told that it takes 20 pounds of pressure to squeeze toothpaste out of it's tube, just a reference.) He's doing much better, and I have no doubt that all of the prayers from all of you certainly helped. So, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

Glad to hear he is progressing - yeah!

I know that this is a year old thread, but I wanted you all to know that Bo has totally recovered from his broken neck. It was one year and one day ago that this happened. Bo's mother sent an email to me and asked me to thank ALL of you who prayed for her son. The power or prayer is amazing. Thank you all so very much! Praise God for Bo's miracle!

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much for sharing the GREAT news with us! What a wonderful ending.

Bo will never take life for granted again. What a great lesson to learn at such a young age.

Thanks for the great update! Thank you, Lord, for answered prayers!

God is good, ALL THE TIME! Thank you for the wonderful update!:angel:

That is wonderful Chris!

Prsyers going up.....

More prayers coming . . .

<H2>1. How did the accident happen?</H2><p>The accident happened while the 14-year-old boy was swimming and diving into waves in a lake in central Wisconsin. He somehow dove into the lake and broke his neck.</p><H2>2. How did he get rescued?</H2><p>The boy's little brother found him floating in the water and immediately called for help. Fortunately, there were nurses and doctors on the beach who were able to perform CPR and revive him. </p><H2>3. How is he doing now?</H2><p>After being med-flighted to Theda Clark in Neenah and undergoing several hours of surgery, he is currently in the ICU. He is semi-conscious, but it is too soon for the doctors to determine the extent of his injuries.</p><H2>4. What can we do to help?</H2><p>Please keep the Bingen Family, who are located in Brownsville, WI, in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Any positive energy and support is greatly appreciated.</p><H2>5. Is there any update on his condition?</H2><p>As of now, there is no update on the boy's condition. The doctors are still monitoring him closely and it will take some time to determine any lasting damage. Please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers.</p>

1. How did the accident happen?

The accident happened while the 14-year-old boy was swimming and diving into waves in a lake in central Wisconsin. He somehow dove into the lake and broke his neck.

2. How did he get rescued?

The boy's little brother found him floating in the water and immediately called for help. Fortunately, there were nurses and doctors on the beach who were able to perform CPR and revive him.

3. How is he doing now?

After being med-flighted to Theda Clark in Neenah and undergoing several hours of surgery, he is currently in the ICU. He is semi-conscious, but it is too soon for the doctors to determine the extent of his injuries.

4. What can we do to help?

Please keep the Bingen Family, who are located in Brownsville, WI, in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Any positive energy and support is greatly appreciated.

5. Is there any update on his condition?

As of now, there is no update on the boy's condition. The doctors are still monitoring him closely and it will take some time to determine any lasting damage. Please continue to keep him and his family in your prayers.

Back