• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Last Night's Project/Adventure...

In summary, the person's backyard contained a lot of tires. They are investigating what to do with them and are thinking of ways to get them disposed of.
Sooooo, now what do you do with 120 tires?

ChefBeckyD said:
Sooooo, now what do you do with 120 tires?

Start selling tire swings? :confused::confused::confused:

We can take 2 per household to the Town Shop once a year, so I figure in 60 years they will be gone...

...or I can bribe 60 residents...

Or, we are investigating what it will cost...

Holy crap!!!! That is insane!! Why would someone bury the tires? did they think they would maybe need them later? LOL

So now what are you going to do w/ the tires? Is there someplace you can take them that won't charge you an arm and a leg to dispose?

pampered.chris said:
Holy crap!!!! That is insane!! Why would someone bury the tires? did they think they would maybe need them later? LOL

So now what are you going to do w/ the tires? Is there someplace you can take them that won't charge you an arm and a leg to dispose?

First, read the description on the link...they built a shelter before the house/basement were on the lot. When the house was built we think they just dug the foundation and used it to fill the shelter in...

On the second, still investigating...we at least got them out...we're going to make a pond in the hole. :D

Holy smokes! That's in your backyard? How'd you know they were under there? That's a big project! Good luck getting rid of them! You might check around to see if there's a tire disposal company around you. My inlaws have a truck that comes & picks theirs up from the shop; I think it costs $1-2 per tire.

You know, they make rubber "mulch" from old tires now so there has to be someplace to give these to! Google, I say... Google those tires away! I'm sorry you have to deal with them!

lacychef said:
Holy smokes! That's in your backyard? How'd you know they were under there? That's a big project! Good luck getting rid of them! You might check around to see if there's a tire disposal company around you. My inlaws have a truck that comes & picks theirs up from the shop; I think it costs $1-2 per tire.

When we bought the house about a 15 x 15 mound of grass was higher than the rest. DH went to even it out and use the dirt where the dogs dug a hole and found it.

LUCKILY when we dug it all out last night it was just tires and some cardboard and a few pieces of pipe from an old generator/heater...

We were afraid we might find paint cans or other garbage...Phew...

Hey - I cut down a honeysuckle bush in my backyard that had grown into a fairly large tree and found an old fire plug. I've got to call the township and have them send someone out to look at it. My luck will be that it is still connected to something, somewhere and they are going to have to dig apart my whole backyard to get it out and I'll have to pay for the whole deal. It if is not connected to anything, I was thinking the fire plug would make a neat fountain for a pond/waterfall.

Shazam- that's a lot of tires... who owns that many tires? Were they stolen? Can you sell them ? "One free tire with every booked PC show! Get 'em while they're hot!"

katie0128 said:
Hey - I cut down a honeysuckle bush in my backyard that had grown into a fairly large tree and found an old fire plug. I've got to call the township and have them send someone out to look at it. My luck will be that it is still connected to something, somewhere and they are going to have to dig apart my whole backyard to get it out and I'll have to pay for the whole deal. It if is not connected to anything, I was thinking the fire plug would make a neat fountain for a pond/waterfall.

Is that what you call a Fire Hydrant by you guys?

You're confusing me lately - ED instead of ER, fire plug instead of hydrant... :p;)

OMG!! That's pure craziness Janet!

janetupnorth said:
Is that what you call a Fire Hydrant by you guys?

You're confusing me lately - ED instead of ER, fire plug instead of hydrant... :p;)

A fire fighter (yes, we call them fire fighters! :rolleyes:) told me the "proper name" was a fire plug. No idea why, but for some reason it stuck.

And it is an Emergency Department, not just one Emergency Room... well, that is unless you live in a tiny little town... then I guess you would have an ER. The ED deal was drilled into me when I worked in the ED in a local hospital. Now, it is just stuck as well.

And, Janet, I'm surprised that I'm able to confuse you... oh she that can save your life and then report on your status to the ED (heehee) in morse code!

katie0128 said:
A fire fighter (yes, we call them fire fighters! :rolleyes:) told me the "proper name" was a fire plug. No idea why, but for some reason it stuck.

And it is an Emergency Department, not just one Emergency Room... well, that is unless you live in a tiny little town... then I guess you would have an ER. The ED deal was drilled into me when I worked in the ED in a local hospital. Now, it is just stuck as well.

And, Janet, I'm surprised that I'm able to confuse you... oh she that can save your life and then report on your status to the ED (heehee) in morse code!

Hey, I don't know morse code...really...just can follow a chart...

I wasn't really confused but it's fun to pretend to be...

Technically fire plug is the colloquialism for Fire Hydrant...so you must live in a redneck area... :p

...just so you know I'm toying with you as you am with me. :D ...in case any lurker wondered...it's Friday, I was up past midnight so I'm a little whippy...

I think we need a mood called "punchy".

janetupnorth said:
I think we need a mood called "punchy".

I second, third and fourth that motion...

Greg, Oh GREG...

Janet,
We have a truck line out of Kansas come pick up our tires. They charge around $2 for each tire. If you want the number let me know. Which can get pricey on your part.

We have what is called Regional Planning...they do a tire pick up once a year ...1 truck load per household. So that might be something to check into....don't know if that is available to you or not. Also you might check with a local landfill or something along lines. They may take the tires to be ground up for roads and playgrounds. Hope this helps.

Wow. That is insane!

That's nuts! I am assuming that you could at least BORROW the backhoe from the camp so you don't have THAT as an expense?

I would think the county would want to look into who in the world did that...

KellyTheChef said:
That's nuts! I am assuming that you could at least BORROW the backhoe from the camp so you don't have THAT as an expense?

I would think the county would want to look into who in the world did that...

Well, not quite...we have to pay for machine hours. Then the thing sprang a hydraulic leak in the process and is now parked in our driveway so the hole isn't filled back the way we want.

We did have a driver and helper free. :) Well, I did promise to make a Triple Chocolate Cheesecake as payment and they had freshly baked chocolate chips cookies and milk last night.

Wow Janet, how long have you lived there? Our laws maybe different but if it's less then 5 years the former owners of the land are legally responsible for any environmental fines (and here they would be HUGE) and clean up plus the proper disposal of the tires.

There was a local guy that dug a huge hole and buried a old car. The fines were so huge he ended up losing his house over it. The neighbors were real happy to see him leave.

rennea said:
Wow Janet, how long have you lived there? Our laws maybe different but if it's less then 5 years the former owners of the land are legally responsible for any environmental fines (and here they would be HUGE) and clean up plus the proper disposal of the tires.

There was a local guy that dug a huge hole and buried a old car. The fines were so huge he ended up losing his house over it. The neighbors were real happy to see him leave.

Well, 7 years and the past owners didn't put them there...we figured this was done in 1994. :(

Can your local council help you?

rennea said:
Can your local council help you?

I'm going to start with the DNR (grumble, grumble...) and check with our town shop to see what is available or what they could use...

If it wasn't such a pain in a way, it'd be kind of comical! I'm curious how this guy GOT all the tires. I wonder if people paid him way back when to take them. (Wouldn't doubt it since he sold the trees on his land, spent the money before they were cut and tried to cancel so they clearcut the land...)

Luckily as you can maybe see from one of the pictures it is growing forest quite nicely now...

janetupnorth said:
Well, not quite...we have to pay for machine hours. Then the thing sprang a hydraulic leak in the process and is now parked in our driveway so the hole isn't filled back the way we want.

We did have a driver and helper free. :) Well, I did promise to make a Triple Chocolate Cheesecake as payment and they had freshly baked chocolate chips cookies and milk last night.

Recipe to share? Purty please!

kcjodih said:
Recipe to share? Purty please!

Oh, I suppose...it's a REALLY good one...stand by...

CLOCK STEAK HOUSE TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
with modifications

Preheat oven 350 degrees-I put saucepan of water in the oven for moisture-helps with preventing cracking

CRUST
2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix cookie crumbs and sugar together, stir in melted butter until mixed. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10 inch spring form pan.

FILLING
2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 3/4 cup melted chocolate chips, slightly cooled (I use 2 cups milk chocolate, 2/3 cup semi-sweet)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips (I use the rest of the bag of the semi-sweet chips) can add even more if desired

Mix softened cream cheese with sugar and vanilla. Blend in eggs. Add melted chocolate chips. Add sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.

Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Makes 16 servings.

When the baking time is up-I turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake sit in the oven and cool down slowly. Around 30-45 minutes more. Take out and sit on counter until cool. Refrigerate until solid-at least 12 hours or more. Can be made ahead--and can be frozen after.

*Sometimes they leak/drip butter so I have learned to put a cookie sheet underneath to catch any drips and change the cookie sheet during cooking if needed.*

janetupnorth said:
Oh, I suppose...it's a REALLY good one...stand by...

:eek: Well if you REALLY don't want to...;):D

It's already there. :)Warning - it is rich! I've thought of making it with dark chocolate, but it is already rich!

janetupnorth said:
CLOCK STEAK HOUSE TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
with modifications

Preheat oven 350 degrees-I put saucepan of water in the oven for moisture-helps with preventing cracking

CRUST
2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix cookie crumbs and sugar together, stir in melted butter until mixed. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10 inch spring form pan.

FILLING
2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
4 eggs
2 3/4 cup melted chocolate chips, slightly cooled (I use 2 cups milk chocolate, 2/3 cup semi-sweet)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips (I use the rest of the bag of the semi-sweet chips) can add even more if desired

Mix softened cream cheese with sugar and vanilla. Blend in eggs. Add melted chocolate chips. Add sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.

Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Makes 16 servings.

When the baking time is up-I turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake sit in the oven and cool down slowly. Around 30-45 minutes more. Take out and sit on counter until cool. Refrigerate until solid-at least 12 hours or more. Can be made ahead--and can be frozen after.

*Sometimes they leak/drip butter so I have learned to put a cookie sheet underneath to catch any drips and change the cookie sheet during cooking if needed.*

:love::D:love::D:love::D

Thanks a bunch! DH LOVES cheesecake and LOVES chocolate and I'm embarassed to say I've NEVER made him one, chocolate or otherwise. Maybe next weekend for our anniversary since we're in the car driving home on the actual anniversary date. Hmm...

kcjodih said:
:love::D:love::D:love::D

Thanks a bunch! DH LOVES cheesecake and LOVES chocolate and I'm embarassed to say I've NEVER made him one, chocolate or otherwise. Maybe next weekend for our anniversary since we're in the car driving home on the actual anniversary date. Hmm...

You can do this one!!!!

Just follow the directions for the pan of water and the cookie sheet to help prevent cracking. It tastes GREAT!

I had to laugh, Janet. Not at your plight. That's a huge problem to deal with. I'm laughing because I'm picturing the face of the person who one day owns our property. The Furry Guy uses old carpeting as landscape fabric. We have a hill that goes almost straight up. The Furry Guy covered it with old carpet. He then placed field stone all over the hill and planted some Russian sage. I'll post a picture when I get it loaded. The great thing about using the old carpet is that stuff doesn't grow through it and it's sturdy enough to be less than gentle with the stone. No ripping.I just keep picturing people 100 years from now when they decided to level the hill. The rubber backing will have mostly broken down, but the nylon threads will still be there.

Well the current news is $3/tire + $50 truck charges to have them picked up...Called our old realtor to see what can be done, but probably not worth our time to fight it...

Okay, here's the picture from the bottom of my driveway. You can see why The Furry Guy didn't want to mow that hill.

Frontviewofthehouse.jpg

Janet, if this weren't so ludicris it would be funny....how doea one come up with 120+ tires and why and why then take the time and effort to bury them in your own backyard??????

chefmeg said:
Janet, if this weren't so ludicris it would be funny....how doea one come up with 120+ tires and why and why then take the time and effort to bury them in your own backyard??????

Did you read the description with my photos? I think it was their "cheap" way of building a storm shelter.

Hey, I have some more pictures of it to load...let me go do that!

Oops not there - I must have wrote it elsewhere...Our theory is that before the house was built and it was just a trailer, this was the guy's storm shelter. When they dug out the foundation for the basement, they must have buried that.

When we moved in we had a matress spring buried in our back yard. That of course does not beat the tires.

katie0128 said:
I second, third and fourth that motion...

Greg, Oh GREG...

I third that one! Also one for bummed, joyful, miffed, frisky and snarky!

Jennie4PC said:
When we moved in we had a matress spring buried in our back yard. That of course does not beat the tires.

Hey at least you can drag your driveway with that... :D

I just realized we have a bunch of tractor tires buried in the backyard. The Furry Guy dug a really deep hole, then stacked tractor tires in it. He's using it as a root cellar for pumpkins and flowering bulbs. The tires make really good shelves. He has a trap door on top. He's planning to one day build a small shed over top for storage. Of course, there are only five or six tires in there. When he was digging it our son said he kept having Swiss Family Robinson flashbacks. He thought maybe Dad was building a tiger trap.

But since The Furry Guy is going to build a shelter around the deal, it makes it more of a real project and not just a dumping ground. But none the less, when you guys are no longer around, the people that find all this stuff are really going to wonder about you two!!!

That's okay. People already wonder about us. :)

Well, good news today!As of Friday it was going to cost about $400-$450 to haul the tires away.I talked to the head of our town crew today after church and he said that our township has a tire recycling program. We can bring 5 tires per resident on the 2nd and last Saturday of the month. ...and he said Steve and I can each bring 5...That would take 6 months but it's still free...Plus the restriction is just so businesses don't bring a bunch, so there may be weeks we can bring more or get a few neighbors to bring some for us too.WHEW...I'm so relieved. I'd rather spend $400 on gas and food then on throwing out tires!

That's good news Janet.

wow janet I totally relate to the things you find on your property. This spring we took our house off the market since it wasn't selling and we decided to remodel it inside and outside. My PC checks helped pay for it but we are started mid-april and we are still working on the inside and still wanting to work on the outside before winter. We can't believe some of the things we have found they left behind and done more stupid things to the house then we thought could of ever been though of.

Best of luck getting rid of the tires.

The funny thing was that DH kept joking about finding a mason jar full of money and was looking for it.One scoopful he actually spotted a mason jar and stopped Jim on the backhoe to jump in the hole. But alas, it had no lid and was empty. :( Well, full of dirt...It would have been nice to find a couple grand or even a couple hundred. ;)I was just thankful to find only tires and nothing else...

1. How did the project turn out?

The project was a success! We were able to collect over 120 tires and properly dispose of them. It was a great feeling to clean up the environment and make a positive impact.

2. What inspired you to take on this project?

We were inspired by the growing issue of tire pollution and the negative impact it has on our environment. We wanted to do our part in making a difference and decided to organize a tire collection event.

3. How did you manage to collect over 120 tires?

We reached out to our community and spread the word about our tire collection event. We also partnered with local businesses and organizations to help spread the message and encourage people to bring their old tires to us for proper disposal.

4. Were there any challenges you faced during the project?

One of the main challenges we faced was the limited time frame we had to collect the tires. We also had to deal with some technical issues, such as slow internet connection, which made it difficult to upload all the pictures of our progress.

5. What advice do you have for others who want to organize a similar project?

My advice would be to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to prepare and execute the project. It's also important to have a strong support system and to reach out to your community for help. And don't get discouraged by any challenges that may arise – stay focused on the end goal and the positive impact you are making.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies